Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
loving hell, I have already developed a violent twitch whenever I hear the words "parliamentary inquiry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish Nadler was a little better at dealing with the bullshit that the republicans are trying to pull. Schiff was great at shutting stuff down immediately. Nadler seems a little more prone to getting flustered.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I like the green - yellow - red light system. Can we have it for Members, also, and a trap door under their chair to drop them out of the room when the red turns on?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
All of these GOP attempts to disrupt the hearings with procedural nonsense just makes Trump look more guilty.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ehud posted:

I wish Nadler was a little better at dealing with the bullshit that the republicans are trying to pull. Schiff was great at shutting stuff down immediately. Nadler seems a little more prone to getting flustered.

Yeah. Schiff took no poo poo. Nadler is like the substitute that you have zero respect for because you know they can’t do poo poo.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Djarum posted:

Only in America can the love child of Boomhauer and Foghorn Leghorn can become a member of Congress.

Foghorn Leghorn was actually based on a senator from a 1940s radio show, so this seems to be pretty standard for American pols.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Love Professor Feldman's haircut. I just wish he had a pipe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This dude looks like a time traveler from the 50s.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TyrantWD posted:

All of these GOP attempts to disrupt the hearings with procedural nonsense just makes Trump look more guilty.

yeah, but to his base it looks like attempts to get things on a level playing field are being denied

government is all about how much faith the people have in the legitimacy of it. in order to weaken it, you only need to make a somewhat convincing argument something fishy is going on, enough to set in a seed of doubt is enough.

it's performative with a purpose.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Love this fuckin guy

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If Trump loses in 2020, how much will GOP blame these hearings as being why he lost

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Fister Roboto posted:

This dude looks like a time traveler from the 50s.

Noah Feldman has been voted "Most Likely To Be Played By Benedict Cumberbatch In The Movie"

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Djarum posted:

Only in America can the love child of Boomhauer and Foghorn Leghorn can become a member of Congress.

You have a hilariously high opinion of other countries' voters and legislative bodies.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

oxsnard posted:

Love this fuckin guy

the left will swoon and the right will just be "look at this nerd from the nerd patrol amirite?"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I want to buy this dude a beer already.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

high modifies both crimes and misdemeanors and means connected to the office of the president who didn't inhale

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Ha, he didn't mention (what Madison records as) Benjamin Franklin's rationale for wanting to include an impeachment clause.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Forrest on Fire posted:

Foghorn Leghorn was actually based on a senator from a 1940s radio show, so this seems to be pretty standard for American pols.

To be clear, he was based on an exaggerated parody of a senator from a 1940s radio show, not an actual Senator.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Wylie posted:

Noah Feldman has been voted "Most Likely To Be Played By Benedict Cumberbatch In The Movie"

Dude. Matt Ross.Or CGI Peter Sellers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I can't wait for the R's professor to explain how this is all illegal and a coup.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Uh oh, Sensenbrenner is mad!!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
So looks like 3 articles it is

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

SubG posted:

Ha, he didn't mention (what Madison records as) Benjamin Franklin's rationale for wanting to include an impeachment clause.

Smithsonian.com posted:

The history of impeachment in the United States is important to understanding the Bill Clinton saga. The Founding Fathers wrote impeachment—originally a Roman political institution—into the constitution for the purpose of removing an official who had “rendered himself obnoxious,” in the words of Benjamin Franklin. Without impeachment, Franklin argued, citizens’ only recourse was assassination, which would leave the political official “not only deprived of his life but of the opportunity of vindicating his character.”

It would be best, Franklin argued, “to provide the Constitution for the regular punishment of the Executive when his misconduct should deserve it, and for his honorable acquittal when he should be justly accused.”
On this day in 1998, Bill Clinton was impeached. (December 16th, that is; this was from 2016.)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah, but to his base it looks like attempts to get things on a level playing field are being denied

government is all about how much faith the people have in the legitimacy of it. in order to weaken it, you only need to make a somewhat convincing argument something fishy is going on, enough to set in a seed of doubt is enough.

it's performative with a purpose.

Raising technicalities in clauses that most people don't understand, and almost certainly no members of the public understand, doesn't raise suspicions about the legitimacy of the process.

That argument works better when its something simple, even if its false, like the hearings behind closed doors in the basement of the capitol building. Raising issues with paragraph X, in clause Y, on page Z of subsection 901 just makes the everyday person tune out. They need to state their objections in a way the audience at home will understand if they want to have any effect.

For whatever small percentage of persuadables are out there, attempting to defend and refute the facts is going to work a lot better than holding things up with arcane procedural nonsense. The Democrats are making a clear, easily understood case, and the GOP look like they are trying to hinder things from going forward because they have no case.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i guess the republicans just want to stay here all day with all the time wasting they're doing

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

haveblue posted:

To be clear, he was based on an exaggerated parody of a senator from a 1940s radio show, not an actual Senator.

Yes! Fake senator. Thank you for clarifying

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If Trump loses in 2020, how much will GOP blame these hearings as being why he lost

Dollars to Doughnuts they'll join Trump in doubling down on 'voter fraud' and just claim it was stolen.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
lmao

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nadler needs to stop this poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They're just going to spend all day wasting time on pointless motions. gently caress OFF.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Timby posted:

They're just going to spend all day wasting time on pointless motions. gently caress OFF.

"LIS LOVE GRAN?" says the C-SPAN captioning. I have no idea what representative this is but I think it voted to table

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i always forget what is being voted on by the end of the voting

this is seriously to eat up time bc they realize the profs are going to DESTROY them

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1202254103981768715

https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/1202252798009712641

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So what was that vote on?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Daaaaanngg, I like this lady.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Little Mac posted:

So what was that vote on?

Somebody wanted to postpone the hearings for a date to be decided if the motion to postpone passed.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Karlan's getting upset !!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

like i was saying, Karlan owns

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

🔥

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I love her