Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheAgent posted:

I'm sure they've only grown since then. if they were really pulling in $20m a year back in 2017 (although those estimates run high, I'd say they were more like $15m/yr), I'd say they've at least kept that up or increased to $25m/yr.

Buying up 25% of that company would be at least five to ten million dollars, maybe more.

But most of their income is from SC, so it's effectively paying to yourself. The only way I can imagine SC profiting from this is reselling their share to third party, that would be pure income.

E: drat, taxxe time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TheAgent posted:

I'm sure they've only grown since then. if they were really pulling in $20m a year back in 2017 (although those estimates run high, I'd say they were more like $15m/yr), I'd say they've at least kept that up or increased to $25m/yr.

Buying up 25% of that company would be at least five to ten million dollars, maybe more.

They purchased the shares directly from the founders. Wouldn't be surprised if this is Turbulent execs each getting a $5 million payday, and Turbulent acquiring $450k in worthless CI shares to in turn give the Roberts yet another cashout opportunity.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

But most of their income is from SC, so it's effectively paying to yourself. The only way I can imagine SC profiting from this is reselling their share to third party, that would be pure income.

E: drat, taxxe time!

I dunno, this whole move just reeks of desperation to me.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Contingency posted:

They purchased the shares directly from the founders. Wouldn't be surprised if this is Turbulent execs each getting a $5 million payday, and Turbulent acquiring $450k in worthless CI shares to in turn give the Roberts yet another cashout opportunity.
yeah it really seems like its a HERES YOUR loving MONEY GUYS HERE IT IS, I TOLD YA IT WAS COMING ANY DAY NOW AND WOW RIGHT AFTER WE GOT SOME MONEY IN FROM OUR BIGGEST SALE OF THE YEAR kinda thing

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is that the $9m or so made in November just got evaporated by this deal, basically.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Valuations are tricky, but it still seems kinda lop-sided.

One is a going concern, the other is pushing the bounds of credulity by referring to 'AAA Games', rather than this Heisenburg existence of product-in-the-future.

Amusing as all hell that they're not beholden to anyone.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Who are getting seats in Turbulent. I assume Ortwyin and Chris Roberts?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Contingency posted:

This is where I'm going. Shares aren't really a thing except on paper, and when you cash out. It's not a straight exchange, and I suspect that they're writing off some debts and got themselves a viable company that can do things.

Kiss of death.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Does this mean their website stats pages will get updates after languishing for like, 3 years straight?

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Hav posted:

This is where I'm going. Shares aren't really a thing except on paper, and when you cash out. It's not a straight exchange, and I suspect that they're writing off some debts and got themselves a viable company that can do things.

Kiss of death.

how is it a kiss of death?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:argh:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

TheAgent posted:

The funny thing is that the $9m or so made in November just got evaporated by this deal, basically.

Thank you for paying Star CitizenTurbulent!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It took off because the people that would spend gobs of money on a second life rape and pillage simulator game meets wing Commander are sad and broken and turns out there are a lot of them

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Some SC "fan" pointed out on sc_refunds how SC has more twitch views than Elite. Which brought me to this lovely graph:

Now... is that Calders money at work, starting roughly after the last year's CitCon? The jump is really noticeable (E:D is basically the same throughout with spikes at updates, SC is the same until ~December 2018), while there's basically nothing in the updates that would justify it (if anything, I'd expect it a year earlier with 3.0, but that one dissipated fast). Or am I missing something?

Somebody once broke down the numbers of Star Citizen streamers and compared it using comparably sized streams and found that the community interaction (chat stream) was markedly lower in Star Citizen streams even though they had the same number of viewers according to site metrics. It points to Star Citizen using veiwbots which can be purchased on the cheap to boost numbers for streamers. Your average streamer might use bots to rise up in the rankings and build a solid viewer base before laying off the bots. CIG is not the one streaming but has a vested interest in keeping up the appearance that their game is fun and playable and has a large following and would be more than willing to pay for bots, or likely pay a media management firm to pay for bots to artificially boost viewership numbers of SC streamers. It fits under the umbrella of "advertisement money" after all. And SC streamers can get a bit of that chedda cheese if they play ball, maybe getting some ad revenue or a fat patreon donation from "Randi Gardiner" or a few ships under the table as a "gift" from a "fan".

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

r/ChroniclesOfElyria

Vertisce's idiocy, while seemingly impossible, grows every drat day.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Just for anyone excited about a bbc expose on all this stuff, Click is a future-is-now vignette type program seen by either slacking off night workers who went through all the other channels or people who are so hopelessly pointless and unemployed/unemployable they accidentally missed all day and can't be arsed changing the channel. They are not hard hitting, they do that circular thing where its clear they don't have a horse in the race thing. Maybe they're putting everything on this horse, but just don't be alarmed if they do not.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

wit posted:

Just for anyone excited about a bbc expose on all this stuff, Click is a future-is-now vignette type program seen by either slacking off night workers who went through all the other channels or people who are so hopelessly pointless and unemployed/unemployable they accidentally missed all day and can't be arsed changing the channel. They are not hard hitting, they do that circular thing where its clear they don't have a horse in the race thing. Maybe they're putting everything on this horse, but just don't be alarmed if they do not.

Yeah I'm assuming it's like every other tech show and it's going to just lightly summarize the most well-known news points about SC yet again, over the best-looking promo footage CIG has put out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

echothreealpha posted:

how is it a kiss of death?

Name a company that didn't fold under Roberts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

wit posted:

I can't believe that a tech journalism outfit would resort to lazy coverage that doesn't really break any ground for fear of stirring controversy!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If only G4TV was still around. Surely, they would have gotten to the bottom of all this!

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Hav posted:

Name a company that didn't fold under Roberts.

Oh, I know, but why buying shares from Turbulent could be the kiss of death?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Do some of these idiots actually think that Mirificus is a bot?

I don't think they understand joke development.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fidelitious posted:

Do some of these idiots actually think that Mirificus is a bot?

I don't think they understand joke development.

I saw Mirificus post in one of my threads and it WASN'T a screenshot.

I cherish that post 'til this day.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

echothreealpha posted:

I think he meant kiss of death for Turbulent. Crobear will micromanage them into the ground.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

echothreealpha posted:

Their relationship with Ci!G should be predicated on B2B; this starts to blur the lines somewhat, but if you're paying invoices based on a valuation of the company, it's effectively just another form of IOU. It doesn't bode well for Turbulent, but the founders just received an incredibly lop-sided arrangement.

Again, this is mostly a deckchair shuffling exercise involving money, but you have to look for those things that simply look odd.

Edit:

UnknownTarget posted:

I think he meant kiss of death for Turbulent. Crobear will micromanage them into the ground.

Yeah, but it's more that they'll abuse the relationship. They were on stop for a long time because they weren't paying the bills. Hell, there's still that whole blank spot where Faceware camera was supposed to go. That was a non-zero dollar value to engage in the first place, we heard some poo poo out of Logitech and it's gone.

edit2: Chris has a problem that they really attempted to beat into me at my brief dalliance with Art College; you have to know when to quit.

Basically, you can tits around with something that you've created forever, but there's a point where you have to eat, so they give you exercises where you have to essentially speed-sketch. Chris doesn't know when to stop, and apparently can't enforce the discipline that tight control requires. Where he's involved, things go poo poo-shaped.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 4, 2019

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

UnknownTarget posted:

Oh!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hnnnnggh we'll all be shouting angrily at the screen about all the funny stuff they missed

In other news: you've probably already seen this, but another citizen has managed to be featured on /r/subredditdrama:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/e5g7ka/a_star_citizen_fan_feels_that_the_average_gamer/

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:chloe:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm assuming that he means weak baby men, with weak baby arms. My spending on gaming is purely at pro-amateur levels, not that bush league 'I paid to play LoL' milquetoast.

I have two PS4s and Three PS3s. There's a PS2 around here somewhere. I can stack my dead consoles higher than the 'hobbyist' here. I just threw down for prescription lenses for my *Valve Index* and a year of Disney+ because I don't give a gently caress-and-oh-my-god-baby-yoda-is-cray-cray-adorbs.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

I was just going to post how disappointed I was that Joe Blobers had failed to reply after a whole 24 HOURS since a SC/CIG article's publication, and then I saw:

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a home automation assistant thing set up to wake him up in the middle of the night if new Google news alerts about CIG/SC come in.

There is a certain abstract beauty to Joe Blobers. I feel like in 100 years someone will be writing PhDs about his behaviour and the nature of early internet era corporate propaganda tactics. Just like you would learn about how rising literacy rates among the urban poor changed the nature of political discourse in the early 20th century.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dogeh posted:

my upvote.

You sick gently caress!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

echothreealpha posted:

Who are getting seats in Turbulent. I assume Ortwyin and Chris Roberts?

It's two seats so I guess it's Ben

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Credit where it's due, I probably wouldn't start tracking this whole Fiasco if it weren't for the wonderfully unhinged comments by Joe Blobbers. I think he does a beautiful job making people immediately adverse towards Star Citizen!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

But why would you do that? As a proof of concept, one time, maybe? Like, you can dig a hole in concrete with a spoon, but it'll take weeks, why not use a drill hammer?
I think it should be tough to defeat Corvette in Eagle. Possible, definitely (and it is possible, because of its agility). But should it take quite some time? Yes, definitely! From both shield and HP point of view.

I'll end this part with a question: Why do you think it should be easy to solo kill Corvette (167.8m x 87.2m x 28.3m ship) in an Eagle (31.2m x 29.7m x 7.1m , 60 times smaller vessel with smaller shields and weaponry)? And how easy should it be if it shouldn't take 40 minutes, should it take 30, 20, 10, 5, 2, 1 minute, 30 or 10 seconds?

"and there used to be no grind to do for PVP"

There used to be A-ranking grind (and rebuy grind), because the credits were much harder to get than these days, which is also why PvPers were swarming every "gold rush" back then.

because believe it or not Iggle is the most fun ship to fly. And bigger ships usually pay better when bounty hunting.
https://youtu.be/7oO-JcscKDo it used to take 5 minutes to get shields off from corvette with iggle if it doesnt pop up a shield cell.

https://youtu.be/VPHEAiQNfr0 pvp used to be like this. And it was most fun i have had in any game.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Other than nuking the November profits, I don't see any strategic gains from CIG having shares or board members in Turbulent or viceversa.

More CIG 'hide the money' shell games?

Strangli - director of Turbulent?

The Turbulent games launcher?

Distraction and obfuscation?

It's all weird. :shrug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

How are the citizens ok with Chris using their pledges now to invest in another company

Just lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

Other than nuking the November profits, I don't see any strategic gains from CIG having shares or board members in Turbulent or viceversa.

Is it possible it's a burger owned 2 weeks from now for a hot dog eaten today.?

I'm trying to pack too many SA memes into one sentence here

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Blue On Blue posted:

How are the citizens ok with Chris using their pledges now to invest in another company

Just lol

When you're not only ok with, but excited about paying thousands of dollars for virtual ships in a broken alpha, everything else is a very short logical leap to rationalize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

:same: