Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

Something Positive, Megatokyo, Penny Arcade, and Questionable Content have been around about that long, they still updating? I haven’t checked the webcomics thread in years, just spitballing names here, and lord knows I’m not going to bother quickly googling to find out.

questionable content is the best from that list and it's about as good as it ever was, in the sense of being mostly alright with occasional spikes of being vaguely interesting or particularly stupid

i will give it credit for looking significantly better than it did when it started at least, which you cant really say for megatokyo and PA

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sorry, I just caught that they were asking about OLD webcomics, didn’t parse anything about them being GOOD.

Edit: should’ve included Dominic Deegan, that would’ve cleared things up real quick

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ikanreed posted:

But none of those are any good.

I like Something Positive. Penny Arcade started out funny, but ran out of steam around '11 or '12 or so, it's pretty much coasting along since then. Megatokyo was never funny, no idea how it lasted that long.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
GPF comics is still somehow kicking along. So is Sinfest.

There was hope for Real Life Comics, but he re-hiatused.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like Megatokyo and it has plenty of good points to it; especially if you're into anime and manga because it incorporates a lot of the elements fans of the medium like. One of the things I like is how consistent the art is in regards to scale stemming from Fred's architecture background; so backgrounds are generally pretty visually interesting.

MT had a successful kickstarter and makes a decent 2,000$ a month on patreon so it has its niche.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

sfwarlock posted:

Sinfest wound up swerving into being hardcore TERF and SWERF, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Megatokyo and Sinfest kinda both abandoned what they were at the beginning. Penny Arcade doesn't really have enough continuity to make a deep cut callback mean anything. Questionable Content is kinda both.

sfwarlock posted:

GPF comics is still somehow kicking along.

God, for the longest time I was convinced that GPF wasn't still running and those comics on its website are just reruns somehow, but no, it looks like it's about the same as it ever was. It's basically following the Sluggy Freelance path of webcomics where it's basically just a soap opera and relying on readers who are hooked on the characters and regularity.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

sfwarlock posted:

Didn't the guy behind Real Life Comics rip some people off in some way?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Raenir Salazar posted:

MT had a successful kickstarter and makes a decent 2,000$ a month on patreon so it has its niche.
Well, the Kickstarter made its funding goal but that game definitely didn't come out.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just had a horrific though, what if the monster never gets revealed. That would be such a masterful troll, Rich wouldn’t do that, or would he...? :ohdear:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It turns out the monster was all the arguments we had along the way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Just had a horrific though, what if the monster never gets revealed. That would be such a masterful troll, Rich wouldn’t do that, or would he...? :ohdear:

If he didn't play around with the occasional hint, I'd assume that it was just a joke and would never actually be revealed. But since he has given hints, it's a safe assumption that there will be an eventual reveal.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think he said it in some forum post or another that the monster is a specific creature, and it will be revealed before the end of the comic.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He also said that it's guessable with the hints he's given. He didn't want to pull a homebrew thing out of his rear end.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nimby posted:

He also said that it's guessable with the hints he's given. He didn't want to pull a homebrew thing out of his rear end.

Have the GitP forums figured out what it is yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The most powerful monster is Man

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Monster is... man.

Either that or the friends we made along the way.

Actually, he's the Monster in the Dark's Monster. The Monster in the Dark is the scientist's name.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
The monster in the dark is Belkar.
I will not be taking questions.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Phenotype posted:

Have the GitP forums figured out what it is yet?

They’ve narrowed it down to three likely options but all of them have at least slight wrinkles in being a perfect match.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What are they?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Monster in the dark,
'til the comic ends,
it's a monster in the dark,
and it'll doom friends.
We're waltzing the wonder
of what it is;
pages go by,
Ocho's there and gone.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ultrafilter posted:

What are they?

Nightmare Beast, Protean, and the Uvuudaum. I find the Protean most convincing, personally. They’ve got a whole series of threads devoted to discussing it on the forum if you want to read into their theorizing.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Holy moly, they have thirteen MitD discussion threads over there. Respect that many of the thread titles are pretty funny, though.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MitD VIII: Everything we know about MITD (but were afraid Tarrasque) is probably my favorite.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I am kinda sad that we never got any tarrasque appearances in comic since it's so iconic

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ikanreed posted:

I am kinda sad that we never got any tarrasque appearances in comic since it's so iconic

Isn't that a licensing problem? I.e. like Beholders and Mindflayers they weren't part of the Open Game License and thus are copyrighted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

God, for the longest time I was convinced that GPF wasn't still running and those comics on its website are just reruns somehow, but no, it looks like it's about the same as it ever was.

Perhaps a confusion with User Friendly? Bunch of nerds at a tech company with a talking slime mold vs. bunch of nerds at a tech company with a talking dust bunny.

e X posted:

Isn't that a licensing problem? I.e. like Beholders and Mindflayers they weren't part of the Open Game License and thus are copyrighted.

I don't think an extra 'r' could have prevented the Tarrasque from being in the public domain, so it is is in the SRD.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A protean would fit with his whole journey of not being what Xykon expects him to be and instead being his own thing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

e X posted:

I know that at very least Mindflayers have been in the comic, because one saw Roy has a perfectly cooked turkey dinner.

That might have been during the short time OotS ran in Dragon Magazine, tho.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
'Mindflayer' isn't copyrighted. Illithid is. Mindflayers show up in a bunch of the early final fantasy games with that name for a reason.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Calaveron posted:

A protean would fit with his whole journey of not being what Xykon expects him to be and instead being his own thing

Xykon knows what the MidT is, right? It was Xykon who gave him the umbrella.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Xykon knows what the MidT is, right? It was Xykon who gave him the umbrella.

Not what I meant

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Not what I meant

No you see we went up a level!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

reignofevil posted:

No you see we went up a level!

This discussion has gone down a level.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mitd is definitely this widdle guy I mean come on

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Too many eyes though.

Unless the middle eye opens up in adulthood or something.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I thought the leading theory on the MITD is that it's a Zodar from Spelljammer?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

Somehow for rules reasons alone I like the Nightmare Beast, but for narrative reasons, yeah, this is best. So I'm putting my vote on protean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fool_of_sound posted:

'Mindflayer' isn't copyrighted. Illithid is. Mindflayers show up in a bunch of the early final fantasy games with that name for a reason.

I initially thought that this was why they got to call the bad guy in season 2 and 3 of Stranger Things "the Mindflayer" and not got sued.

But then again they called the villain in season 1 "The Demogorgan*" and he must be copyrighted.

* = This annoyed me so much. Demogorgan is his/their name. Not a monster type.
Imagine the Frankenstein's Monster debate if people called him The Frankenstein.