Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

My main enjoyment comes from spirited but fully legal backroad driving whenever I have the time so yeah its mostly rowing gears and not driving very fast.

I think something like the NSX is ideal for this because it has enough power to be fun but not so much to be in going to jail speeds in a second of full throttle like the new Corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

It sounds like thats what hosed up the idiot father and son team who crashed their corvettes, the son posting the video online.

https://jalopnik.com/father-and-son-racing-corvettes-in-tunnel-crash-and-pin-1840065724

This is next level stupid, how loving unaware of the real world do you have to be to do poo poo like this?

Hope their little bubble being destroyed taught them a life lesson, Jesus Christ.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is next level stupid, how loving unaware of the real world do you have to be to do poo poo like this?

Hope their little bubble being destroyed taught them a life lesson, Jesus Christ.
To run into the one car in front of you in a 2 lane tunnel where you only have (mostly) one direction to look...pretty beyond stupid.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Almost a week later, still not sick of Thanksgiving leftovers.

Lunch was green bean casserole, turkey, and stuffing heated up and plopped on a big ol' Kaiser roll with some mayo and cranberry relish :getin:

I forgot the gravy though :negative:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

To run into the one car in front of you in a 2 lane tunnel where you only have (mostly) one direction to look...pretty beyond stupid.

The number of obvious bad decisions in the video and subsequent story is boggling to any reasonable human brain

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
But it looks so cool when they do it* in the movies!

*At about half speed, on a closed course, over multiple takes.

The part that gets me in that write up is that they had friends go out and drive regular traffic off the road to make way for them.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 4, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Then you need to tell them that dude, and make sure it's clear. Stop going to any leadership programs....Politely decline.

Okay man, I stood my goddamn ground and they seemed to take it well, no guilt tripping or anything. Hopefully that pressure is over and done.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Okay man, I stood my goddamn ground and they seemed to take it well, no guilt tripping or anything. Hopefully that pressure is over and done.

Good for you. Any reasonable employer should realize that some folks are just not suited for management, and that being good at a thing doesn’t make one necessarily good at heading up a bunch of folks who do that thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Good for you. Any reasonable employer should realize that some folks are just not suited for management, and that being good at a thing doesn’t make one necessarily good at heading up a bunch of folks who do that thing.

I don't know if I said it or not but I could totally do the job and probably quite well. I just have negative interest in it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Adiabatic posted:

My main enjoyment comes from spirited but fully legal backroad driving whenever I have the time so yeah its mostly rowing gears and not driving very fast.

Sounds like what you want is actually an NA Miata.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I guess I'll chime in looking for some employment advice as well:

A lot of you know we've been dealing with my girlfriend's stage IV breast cancer diagnosis since early summer. She's off chemo and looking good now, but she still has to go in for non-chemo hormone therapy infusions every three weeks, and an implant/injection every 28 days. Obviously the probable possibility of the cancer coming back at some point as well. The issue now is that her current employer is under contract status so she doesn't really have any protections, but she has an interview lined up this week for a permanent job that would probably pay lot better, have better benefits, as well has have a little more in the way of protections mainly FMLA. The problem is, employees aren't eligible to be protected under FMLA until 52-weeks of employment/1,250 hours worked in that 52 week period. Her conundrum is if she should be up-front in the interview process about her illness, wait until after an offer is received to say "Oh by the way, I have a terminal illness", or just...not say anything at all if hired until that first appointment comes around?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't see how her mentioning it makes any positive difference since it will still take a year to kick in either way? Sounds like only negative results could come of that, that she may or may not see (not getting an offer in the first place, etc). They aren't allowed to ask it, so I wouldn't freely divulge it.

What first appointment are you referring to?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 4, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah, the information can only harm her by being a red flag to the hiring manager, so I say mum's the word until it actually affects something. Unless there's some other legal obligation I'm unaware of.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are the better benefits medical, and is she still entitled to them with a pre-existing condition?

I'm assuming she would have to declare her prior issues in any application for health insurance through work, even if this is meant to be confidential, what's the risk of this getting back to the employer?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sounds like what you want is actually an NA Miata.

Or maybe an S2000.

:v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anyone have a link to info on how windshield HUD optics work?

e: this paper I'm looking at shows a web browser HUD with steering wheel mounted trackball !

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 4, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if I said it or not but I could totally do the job and probably quite well. I just have negative interest in it.

Yeah, I got you. That would be the "not suited" part. I didn't mean necessarily that one *couldn't* do it, although that can be possible as well.
Not that anyone has offered me any management positions, but I'm the same. I like doing the thing. My dad, a mechanical engineer, was the same way when he was working. Not wanting to be a lead or manager career limited him at the government contractor he worked most at, thanks to their odd climb-the-ladder mentality.

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't see how her mentioning it makes any positive difference since it will still take a year to kick in either way? Sounds like only negative results could come of that, that she may or may not see (not getting an offer in the first place, etc). They aren't allowed to ask it, so I wouldn't freely divulge it.

Agreed. They're not allowed to ask, and in theory, not allowed to have that influence the hiring decision if divulged, but why take that risk? It's nearly impossible to prove that it did or didn't influence a hiring decision.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

taqueso posted:

Anyone have a link to info on how windshield HUD optics work?

e: this paper I'm looking at shows a web browser HUD with steering wheel mounted trackball !

Well, basically: shine a bright light at an angle on glass and it reflects back. There are some tricks, like making the specific spot on the glass more likely to reflect back, but it really is that simple.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Well, basically: shine a bright light at an angle on glass and it reflects back. There are some tricks, like making the specific spot on the glass more likely to reflect back, but it really is that simple.

I think that if that's all you do, the image is going to appear be located at the windshield and won't appear to be beyond it.

e: I got linked to this wikipedia article by the physics quick questions thread: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 4, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's effectively just the same technique as Pepper's Ghost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper%27s_ghost

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I believe this setup is fairly typical for a current vehicle:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

If your main enjoyment in driving cars is from shifting gears then you're obviously not driving fast enough

If I wanted to get the absolute poofteenth out of a car around a track I'll take a paddleshift manual. You know, still has a clutch but slams those gears faster with no clutch shifting than a priest chasing a choirboy. A XTRAC or similar from a WRC car will do me nicely

If I want to get a priaprism from a flamthrowing barking exhaust on overrun as I slap down gears in a national park being mildy naughty on a midnight run then yeah actually I'm leaving a margin of error for the unexpected - and driving for the pleasure of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

I believe this setup is fairly typical for a current vehicle:

Heh heh. Ausfahrt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Darchangel posted:

taqueso posted:

I think that if that's all you do, the image is going to appear be located at the windshield and won't appear to be beyond it.

Well I was wrong about that, the image will appear to be the same distance beyond the screen as the distance from source to screen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

a flamthrowing barking exhaust on overrun

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Heh heh. Ausfahrt.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Or maybe an S2000.

drat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If I wanted to get the absolute poofteenth out of a car around a track I'll take a paddleshift manual. You know, still has a clutch but slams those gears faster with no clutch shifting than a priest chasing a choirboy.

The thing is that with a car like the C8, that thing is so fast that actually pushing the car at all pretty much requires a race track anyway. I'd wager loafing one of those around street roads at not-Cannonball speeds would feel about the same whether you're letting the car shift or grabbing gears yourself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Good poo poo man! Glad it worked out and you got that weight off your shoulders, feels good huh?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Or maybe an S2000.

:trumppop:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The thing is that with a car like the C8, that thing is so fast that actually pushing the car at all pretty much requires a race track anyway. I'd wager loafing one of those around street roads at not-Cannonball speeds would feel about the same whether you're letting the car shift or grabbing gears yourself.
That's totally wrong. If it's manual, you can select a higher gear, and let it pull through. You can constantly shift up and down to entertain yourself. You can stay in whatever gear you want, whether it's higher or lower than normal - in short, you can "play with it" more.

Some of this is obviated by modern controls (I.e., you can probably tell it to shift up and down), but since the argument is "feel", nah, it doesn't feel the same.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I mentioned she has to go in for treatment every three weeks, and the clinic is only open 8-5 Mon-Fri, and they're a half a day adventure at minimum. So what I mean is, hypothetically assuming she gets hired and keeps it under wraps, when that first treatment appointment comes around after hire, does she let them know that hey by the way, this is an on-going thing, I'll have to miss a day of work every three weeks, possibly one more scattered between depending? Or just every three weeks say hey I have an appointment, here's my Doctors note?

Basically my fear is she leaves her current job which is accommodating but not guaranteed long-term for a better place on paper, but once she starts missing a day every month they'll be like "Welp, bye!" and then she's hosed and doesn't have insurance. Which pretty much means she dies.

Edit: Also, her current department has been acquisitioned and a lot of people are getting the axe, but she's good until June or July at minimum so that's another reason for her to move on while she can.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 4, 2019

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Krakkles posted:

That's totally wrong. If it's manual, you can select a higher gear, and let it pull through. You can constantly shift up and down to entertain yourself. You can stay in whatever gear you want, whether it's higher or lower than normal - in short, you can "play with it" more.

Some of this is obviated by modern controls (I.e., you can probably tell it to shift up and down), but since the argument is "feel", nah, it doesn't feel the same.

Wtf are you on about

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Wtf are you on about
:lol: no, do go on

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

T-Square posted:

Almost a week later, still not sick of Thanksgiving leftovers.

Lunch was green bean casserole, turkey, and stuffing heated up and plopped on a big ol' Kaiser roll with some mayo and cranberry relish :getin:

I forgot the gravy though :negative:

You guys know how I was gonna have a late Thanksgiving dinner with my parents?

Turkey was still solidly frozen except for a couple of tiny spots that were slightly soft. :sigh: I would have just chucked it back in the freezer to keep until Christmas if those spots hadn't thawed. Guessing my garage fridge is set too drat cold (I mean... it's usually only used for the freezer, sometimes beer winds up in the fridge part if I'm out there awhile), it's been in there for 4 days thawing (13 pound bird). A few hours in the apartment fridge and it's noticeably more thawed. So I guess I'll be learning how to cook a turkey sometime in the next couple of days.

So Plan B was my instant pot chicken and mashed potatoes (I was already planning on doing mashed potatoes in it, it takes 15 minutes from raw potatoes to ready to mash), mom still fixed stuffing and far better gravy than I could ever fix, we grabbed a pumpkin pie, and I cooked some spinach... and we feasted. Tons of leftovers, and plenty of chicken left (both cooked and raw - Randall's aka Safeway aka Albertsons had boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.65/lb in the value pack, so I have 3 huge chicken breasts wrapped up in freezer paper and sealed in freezer bags. Dishwasher is already loaded and running, kitchen is already cleaned up. Parents just left to go back to their hotel since they're leaving at like 4am (plus I'm exhausted, 3 hours of sleep last night). Took them to the cheapest Shell station nearby (2.01/gal right now) and gave them one of my 15c/gal Fuel Rewards (I get 2 a week thanks to T-Mobile Tuesdays) to save them a little bit getting home.

Mom also got to meet rear end Grocery Manager today when we went shopping. She said he creeped her out, and agreed that he missed his calling in selling salvage title cars at a shady buy here pay here lot.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 4, 2019

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Is this post somehow from the 90s?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you don't pump your clutch to the beat, how are you even living?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Krakkles posted:

:lol: no, do go on

Wtf are you on about

Krakkles posted:

This post makes no sense and the last bit makes it sound like you don't know what you're talking about

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Most of your posts on this clearly indicate you don't know what you're talking about, soooooo

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InitialDave posted:

If they've not trashed the drum, is sounds like they've not got to the point of damaging the metal of the shoe, so why not get them relined?

So after finding out my only new option is 5 weeks away in Japan, I'm shipping them out to get relined. Closest place that does it is Edmonton.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

That's why econoboxes are fun to drive with a manual, if you can't go fast might as well have some other kind of fun :v:

But yeah, I don't think I'd want a C8 with one.

Personally I want a manual for my next car because I haven't had one in awhile and miss it, but I kind of want an EV too (Chevy Bolt) so I'm torn on what to do :(
I've said for a while my dream garage is an auto truck, an EV daily, and a stick toy. Best of all worlds. Auto may be faster around a track, but my track experience and goals don't involve setting track records so I'd rather have fun with the fun car.

T-Square posted:

I guess I'll chime in looking for some employment advice as well:

A lot of you know we've been dealing with my girlfriend's stage IV breast cancer diagnosis since early summer. She's off chemo and looking good now, but she still has to go in for non-chemo hormone therapy infusions every three weeks, and an implant/injection every 28 days. Obviously the probable possibility of the cancer coming back at some point as well. The issue now is that her current employer is under contract status so she doesn't really have any protections, but she has an interview lined up this week for a permanent job that would probably pay lot better, have better benefits, as well has have a little more in the way of protections mainly FMLA. The problem is, employees aren't eligible to be protected under FMLA until 52-weeks of employment/1,250 hours worked in that 52 week period. Her conundrum is if she should be up-front in the interview process about her illness, wait until after an offer is received to say "Oh by the way, I have a terminal illness", or just...not say anything at all if hired until that first appointment comes around?
Depends on how you want to approach it. As mentioned, FMLA won't apply for a year anyway. They should have a good idea if they want to deal with it at that point.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Quit arguing about manuals versus non-manuals you weirdos.

It's like the beans in chili debate, it's stupid and I hate reading about it for pages.

:can: