Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

So angry that once again there's no options for Admech..........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Frateris Militia: Jilted again.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
They have matched point values so what is to stop anyone from just playing with this stuff?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

General Olloth posted:

Necrons won't get fun or good rules.

I hope you are ready for custom Dynasties where half of the buff options boost melee.

Rumor has it we're getting a Szeras rescuplt. Making Crypteks quasi-chaplains makes sense for GW, since they could copy/paste the rules from SM supplements. As for the army in general, it looks like GW can make average armies great when they try. Can they make bad armies good? Possibly, but odds are Necrons are going to get Dark Eldar'd and be a footnote in a 3 faction book. A T1 deepstrike option would be swell, as would letting half your HQs embark on a transport.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

For_Great_Justice posted:

They have matched point values so what is to stop anyone from just playing with this stuff?

Won't be allowed in ITC/most major organized events

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DandyLion posted:

So angry that once again there's no options for Admech..........

Is this a joke? Because lol

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Tournament organizers not allowing Legends, them not being well balanced.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The points values are going to become wildly out of line with the rest of the game sooner or later.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

R0ckfish posted:

Orks competitive is gonna suffer for sure.

Yeah, an enormous amount of competitive ork lists used index hq choices.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I didn't realize legends was adding new datasheets for models that didn't even have index entries - Confessor Kyrinov gets a legend datasheet.

Also RIP rough riders; you were too beautifully stupid for this grim, dark world.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a date for when index units are no longer allowed?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Wait, so they're not getting rid of Tyranid shrikes? If they're not in there, it means they'll come back?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a date for when index units are no longer allowed?

Now, they put a bunch of the index war gear options in as well. If it is not on legends I would assume it is still legal.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

xtothez posted:

Is this a joke? Because lol

:hfive:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

R0ckfish posted:

Now, they put a bunch of the index war gear options in as well. If it is not on legends I would assume it is still legal.

So hang on, I've got a couple of old school Lascannon/Twin Plasma Gun Razorbacks. There doesn't seem to be a mention of them in Legends, so are they still good now?

I mean, they kinda suck so I dunno if I'd want to use them, but it's good to know what my options are.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

jng2058 posted:

So hang on, I've got a couple of old school Lascannon/Twin Plasma Gun Razorbacks. There doesn't seem to be a mention of them in Legends, so are they still good now?

I mean, they kinda suck so I dunno if I'd want to use them, but it's good to know what my options are.

We have to assume so, they have not listed it in the document and have not said you are not allowed index units.

They might update as people remind them such things exist.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If I understand correctly, any "You can't use these units" rulings wouldn't come from GW anyway. It will be up to the event organizers at whatever thing you're going to.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Corrode posted:

No, Jokaero are savants who just make weapons out of whatever they find handy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Aww man, losing the techmarine biker and conversion beamer sucks. Back when I was started playing in fifth edition my favourite dumb gimmick was a biker with conversion beamer

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Legion of the damned is legend-ed, not that I ever saw anyone use them but :saddowns:

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Non-codex SM didn't get equal treatment when it came to index units. SM Chaplains get the new litanies, while others do not. The Iron Wolf on Bike repair ability with techmarine on bike though, so it looks like they gave some units a look over.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Inspector_666 posted:

If I understand correctly, any "You can't use these units" rulings wouldn't come from GW anyway. It will be up to the event organizers at whatever thing you're going to.

Yeah, these are technically official datasheets that should be absolutely fine for casual games outside of tournament events. It remains to be seen how much will trickle down to the average community. Tournament rules seem to influence my local scene pretty strongly, even though no one really plays competitively.

I would like to think that no one is going to have a problem with you rocking up with a rough rider squadron or legion of the damned and using the legends datasheets because it's probably pretty obvious that you are just playing a fun game with fun models; I can also foresee a problem down the line where the lack of rules updates creates edge cases and ambiguities with legends stuff that causes a headache no one wants to deal with.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I don't understand the Wargear rules at the end of the Legends stuff- for example the Dreadnought stuff in the space marines one, dreads can't swap the left arm out anymore?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DotyManX posted:

Legion of the damned is legend-ed, not that I ever saw anyone use them but :saddowns:

Man that's something I'd love to see re-done in modern plastic.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I don't understand the Wargear rules at the end of the Legends stuff- for example the Dreadnought stuff in the space marines one, dreads can't swap the left arm out anymore?

They're additional options if you're using the Legends stuff.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
That's super sad, have a couple of those left autocannon arms

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah, an enormous amount of competitive ork lists used index hq choices.

It's not as bad as we thought. The Warboss on Warbike is staying, he's just a Forgeworld kit now. The big loss is Big Mek on Warbike going away. However, that's not as huge a loss as the regular Big Mek with KFF is sticking around. Bike Mek was even better, but we can still work with the footslogging version, and a lot of people were anyway to save on points.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

That's super sad, have a couple of those left autocannon arms

Since Forge World is untouched, you can still use 'em on Mortis Dreads, I do believe.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Sucks losing the mek on bike for mobile force field. Same with the pain boy. At least I won't be forced to use the piece of crap War trike boss. I'd sell the army first.

Still might losing the support bikes since the boss bike and whatever else will be easily shot to death.

Really sucks losing the lord and sorcerer on bikes. I really loved having that as a death star combo. I could maybe slot in a D prince with wings but he's slower compared to bikes.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I have a smash captain question, since I recently rescued an old space marine cap with a power fist....can I use that instead of a thunderhammer? Battlescribe didn't complain when I outfitted him with a jump pack and storm shield so does that mean it's legal? Even if it's legal is it a good idea?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I have a smash captain question, since I recently rescued an old space marine cap with a power fist....can I use that instead of a thunderhammer? Battlescribe didn't complain when I outfitted him with a jump pack and storm shield so does that mean it's legal? Even if it's legal is it a good idea?

It’s not as powerful, doing from a flat 3D to d3D, but it is cheaper. A lot of units don’t need the power of a traditional Smash Captain so it’ll do fine for most things, just don’t expect anything spectacular if you point it at a Knight of something.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

jng2058 posted:

Since Forge World is untouched, you can still use 'em on Mortis Dreads, I do believe.

Yooooo good point!

...now I just need some right autocannon arms!

And the missile arm still works right? Need to get some missile arms.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

PierreTheMime posted:

It’s not as powerful, doing from a flat 3D to d3D, but it is cheaper. A lot of units don’t need the power of a traditional Smash Captain so it’ll do fine for most things, just don’t expect anything spectacular if you point it at a Knight of something.

Oh no, I just want to be able to use the model and not have him be a waste of points. Thanks!!

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Oh no, I just want to be able to use the model and not have him be a waste of points. Thanks!!

He's definitely not a waste if you're playing Imperial or Crimson Fists, both of which have relic power fists that are very good. The general argument for a Thunder Hammer on a Smash Captain is that you're already sinking enough points in between the model and jump pack that the 31 point tax to make sure the job gets done is worth paying.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

them not being well balanced.

What is? :v:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

So, my FLGS is doing a builder's league. Starts at 200 points, then goes up 200 points every two weeks. Must have a troops unit to start with, and an HQ by the time you hit 600 points. No named characters until the final two weeks. I'm starting up an Iron Hands army.

For my first 200 points, I'm going with a Patrol detachment with some intercessors and a grav captain. Where should I go from there? A gunship? Thunderfire cannon? More troops, to work towards a battalion for CP?

Tossing this back up. I can't use Forgeworld models, as I have to order the models in-store.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

JackMann posted:

Tossing this back up. I can't use Forgeworld models, as I have to order the models in-store.

Sarge's?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JackMann posted:

I wouldn’t start going hard into specialized units until you’ve filled out a Battalion. The extra CP will go a long way and playing to the objectives, especially in smaller games, can be very important. Maybe a unit of Scouts or Incursors/Infiltrators to allow you to press forward objectives early? It really depends on where you personally want to go with your army, but I’m big on the HQ/Troop staples before getting fancy.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

JackMann posted:

10 Intercessors for sure, probably with Stalkers if you're using the multi-part kit (if not, standard bolt rifles are still decent). Grav Captain is a solid first pick. You will also want a Lieutenant of some sort for your second HQ to get to the minimum Battalion size. The third troops pick to get to a Battalion can also be 5 more Intercessors since none of the other Troops choices use Heavy weapons and won't benefit from the doctrine bonus as effectively. I think there's now agreement about the value that 5 Infiltrators bring in protecting yourself from deep strike so that's a good place to mix it up.

As Iron Hands, your first fun time pick should almost certainly be a Redemptor Dreadnought with the gatling cannon. It's maybe not the Very Best dreadnought pick but it's anti-horde which you'll need if you are leaning on Stalker bolt rifles for your Intercessors, the kit is very pose-able and it's a cool centerpiece model, and also you can give it a warlord trait. Picking up a second one later on and adding an eventual Repulsor presents a lot of high-toughness targets that can present target confusion for your opponent.

The other Usual Suspects for a good IH lists that are likely to still be very good after a 2019 points adjustment PDF (which I'm still convinced is coming) will be Eliminators, Suppressors, Ferrios, a Librarian, and a Repulsor Executioner. Eliminators with Bolt Rifles are relatively cheap and the rest of your army is likely to lack the maneuverability to snipe out backline characters otherwise; I think they work best with 2 units (which also makes a unit of 5 Infiltrators good friends). Suppressors in most lists are weird because they are high maneuverability with Heavy weapons, but since you're Iron Hands you can scoot & shoot with them very effectively. Ferrios is just ridiculous all around, and a Librarian has some good powers out of the IH specific discipline. The Executioner is always a valid pick just because that main gun is super strong and Vengeance of the Machine Spirit means even if it does soak a ton of fire you aren't picking it up without getting at least two good shots off. The Thunderfire cannon is insane right now but it'll be at the top of the list for any points adjustments so I wouldn't bank as heavily on it, and also it's finecast. Flyers are also super good right for IH now but are probably also on the hit list for points adjustments and they aren't the easiest models to work with either.

nite_moogle fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

nite_moogle posted:

10 Intercessors for sure, probably with Stalkers if you're using the multi-part kit (if not, standard bolt rifles are still decent). Grav Captain is a solid first pick. You will also want a Lieutenant of some sort for your second HQ to get to the minimum Battalion size. The third troops pick to get to a Battalion can also be 5 more Intercessors since none of the other Troops choices use Heavy weapons and won't benefit from the doctrine bonus as effectively. I think there's now agreement about the value that 5 Infiltrators bring in protecting yourself from deep strike so that's a good place to mix it up.

As Iron Hands, your first fun time pick should almost certainly be a Redemptor Dreadnought with the gatling cannon. It's maybe not the Very Best dreadnought pick but it's anti-horde which you'll need if you are leaning on Stalker bolt rifles for your Intercessors, the kit is very pose-able and it's a cool centerpiece model, and also you can give it a warlord trait. Picking up a second one later on and adding an eventual Repulsor presents a lot of high-toughness targets that can present target confusion for your opponent.

The other Usual Suspects for a good IH lists that are likely to still be very good after a 2019 points adjustment PDF (which I'm still convinced is coming) will be Eliminators, Suppressors, Ferrios, a Librarian, and a Repulsor Executioner. Eliminators with Bolt Rifles are relatively cheap and the rest of your army is likely to lack the maneuverability to snipe out backline characters otherwise; I think they work best with 2 units (which also makes a unit of 5 Infiltrators good friends). Suppressors in most lists are weird because they are high maneuverability with Heavy weapons, but since you're Iron Hands you can scoot & shoot with them very effectively. Ferrios is just ridiculous all around, and a Librarian has some good powers out of the IH specific discipline. The Executioner is always a valid pick just because that main gun is super strong and Vengeance of the Machine Spirit means even if it does soak a ton of fire you aren't picking it up without getting at least two good shots off. The Thunderfire cannon is insane right now but it'll be at the top of the list for any points adjustments so I wouldn't bank as heavily on it, and also it's finecast. Flyers are also super good right for IH now but are probably also on the hit list for points adjustments and they aren't the easiest models to work with either.

The 2019 points adjustment is in chapter approved buddy, they're not changing marine points.