Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
"The president can name his son Barron, but he can't *make* him a baron" lawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hunter biden hahahahaah

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Hunter Biden: Fact Witness

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
im really disappointed dems aren't going after turley

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

You sure we wanna pull out old quotes my guy?

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
is this a question?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

repub complaining about partisanship, i love it

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Nadler falling asleep on the split box isn't a good look.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i love the GOP concern trolling "impeaching trump will lose you voters"

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Steve Chabot (R-State That Causes People to Flee the Earth) wants us to know the impeachment is definitely going to help Trump get re-elected.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I know its been going on for years but it sill amazes me when the Republicans throw themselves on swords for Trump. You're gonna defend THAT GUY?!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

idiotsavant posted:

"The president can name his son Barron, but he can't *make* him a baron" lawl

Somewhere Trump is yelling, "Who the gently caress is Barron!?"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ehud posted:

I really don't give a poo poo about the founding fathers.

loving :same: and I cannot stress that enough

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Caseman posted:

I know its been going on for years but it sill amazes me when the Republicans throw themselves on swords for Trump. You're gonna defend THAT GUY?!

They are compromised as poo poo.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

The Democrats hate his tweets. But we all love his tweets. Best tweets you've ever seen.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

loving :same: and I cannot stress that enough

"The Founders" and "The Framers" sounds like a dumb name for something an unsophisticated civilization would call their ancestors on Stargate.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

They are compromised as poo poo.

Yeah, Devin Nunes isn't falling on his sword for Trump, he's embroiled in all of this and trying to fall with his sword under his arm out of hope no one checks his body afterwards.

e: Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) appeals to the accumulated experience of the ages, whatever the hell that is.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 4, 2019

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Oh gently caress, it's Gohmert. What an absolute rear end.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

LtStorm posted:

Yeah, Devin Nunes isn't falling on his sword for Trump, he's embroiled in all of this and trying to fall with his sword under his arm out of hope no one checks his body afterwards.

I'm pretty sure that's why we're seeing all the retirements. You either vanish and hope it blows over before it gets to you, or you go all in.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Despite anecdotal evidence, living with Louie dog does not maintain sanity.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
You can't impeach without fact witnesses and documents; also, everyone within 500 metres of the President has absolute immunity against Congressional subpoenas.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Gohmert has to be the absolute biggest and dumbest CHUD in Congress

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Gohmert is really going hard in on this Biden impeachment.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
were not being investigated! your being investigated!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

"The Founders" and "The Framers" sounds like a dumb name for something an unsophisticated civilization would call their ancestors on Stargate.

Like even as an academic historian I find "the Founders' Intent" argument stupid as gently caress. The French don't go "well what would Louis XIV do?!", nor do the British ask what Elizabeth the Great's opinion would be on foreign policy, because it's loving irrelevant to modern times and problems

But it goes back to the "Great Man History" that the loving GOP and Boomers worship at the altar of

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 4, 2019

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

CHALUPA! DRINK!

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Is Gohmert a stupid man? I'm not American and he seems notably dumb

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TulliusCicero posted:

Like even as an academic historian I find "the Founders' Intent" argument stupid as gently caress. The French don't go "well what would Louis XIV do?!" Because it's loving irrelevant to modern times and problems

I think Trump does! "L'etat, c'est moi."

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yesh posted:

you could say that hahahah

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

It would be hilarious if it weren't so absolutely infuriating that these Republicans aren't even bothering to ask Turley anything. I mean, I understand why they're too cowardly, deceitful, and inept to challenge the other three experts, but the bare minimum effort one might expect from them would be to use the expert they chose themselves.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Yesh posted:

Yesh

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Yesh posted:

Louie Gohmert may be the stupidest person in our Congress.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i love johnson's voice, so soothing

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yesh posted:

he is one of the legit dumbest people in power. like there are other dumb assholes, but he is the dumbest one around.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yesh posted:

In the sea of dumbaseery that is the US, Gohmert may be the most stupid tuna of the sea

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Speaking of dumb assholes in power, here's Gym Jordan!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I fundamentally cannot understand the Republican approach here. Even in a hearing without Schiff, why is their only defense that there's not enough evidence? It just reminds everyone that Trump is refusing to comply with lawful evidence gathering. i mean i understand that they have nothing and they also have their hands tied by trump but jesus.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I like how they keep bringing up their own intransigence as a reason why impeachment is wrong. "You said it had to be bipartisan, and we refuse so I guess you can't do it!"

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Please let the next Dem just ask one question:

"Did Gym Jordan say ANYTHING factual?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

TulliusCicero posted:

Like even as an academic historian I find "the Founders' Intent" argument stupid as gently caress. The French don't go "well what would Louis XIV do?!", nor do the British ask what Elizabeth the Great's opinion would be on foreign policy, because it's loving irrelevant to modern times and problems

But it goes back to the "Great Man History" that the loving GOP and Boomers worship at the altar of

A law prof named Jonathan Turley wrote about that point a few years ago:

Turley posted:

All mythologies, constitutional or literary, have an underlying purpose or theme. Presented with complex facts or realities, mythology offers a consistent account to an audience eager for clarity. At a time of national crisis, the desire for a clear basis of resolution is almost overwhelming. In such times, we often look to the Framers to compel a course of action. This desire for a dead-hand control over contemporary problems is understandable but not always supportable. Ironically, the only clear intent of the Framers on some questions was to leave the resolution of conflicts to each generation. The Framers often were more concerned with how we would conclude conflicts than the conclusions themselves. This appears to have been the resolution over the impeachment language. Faced with various views of the basis for impeachment, the Framers focused on where and how impeachment would occur. The evolutionary standard of impeachment, "high crimes and misdemeanors," would necessarily change with society, but the static procedural conditions would remain constant. Thus, society may come to view certain acts of misconduct as impeachable that were not even viewed as objectionable-let alone actionable-in the 1700s.