Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lawen posted:

I totally missed that the Homeseer was cUL but not UL certified, yeah that's a bit worrisome.

Sounds like Jasco/GE/Honeywell is the way to go for my current project and I'll probably order a single Zooz zen27 to audition to see about using them when I update the next floor of our house. Thanks, y'all!

You might also take a look at Innovelli's zwave gear (though I think their dimmers are currently out of stock). The GE/Jasco/Honeywell ones work OK, but I have had issues with status reporting on their non-plus devices (which may be fixed on ZWP switches, I don't have any of theirs to check with.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Don't go with Inovelli. They shipped me a buggy batch of 4 switches (they'll randomly switch off) and they were only able to replace one because they don't have enough replacements on hand. Their support forums are a ghost town. It really seems like one guy is running the whole operation when he has time.

UPDATE: I think my switches are fixed now?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3635963&pagenumber=139&perpage=40#post519316461

azurite fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 17, 2021

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

azurite posted:

It really seems like one guy is running the whole operation when he has time.

The more I research home automation, the more it looks like that statement applies to like half of the industry.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there a way to have Google home start a routine at dusk or sunset as opposed to a specific time? With the daylight hours getting shorter, I have to change the "turn on" time every week.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Lawen posted:

The more I research home automation, the more it looks like that statement applies to like half of the industry.

Will.I.Am bought one of the most well known home automation companies, Wink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrgPv6MEqDI

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
This is probably a well-trodden question, but I tried a quick Google and couldn't and just got reviews and adverts:

My friend has just installed a cheap IP "security" camera to check on her dog. I don't know if she's changed the admin password or whatever but I'm about to give her some basic security advice.

The camera was the type you get on Amazon for 20 bucks and she says she's got it connected to the app on her iPhone and she can see the dog while out and about. It's about to have pups so that's why she's so interested.

My question is, how do these cameras generally work? I'm assuming that the camera uses UPnP to open a port on her router, which is then used to allow the app on her phone access while she's out. If so, then is there a kind of DDNS ping to a central server that's run by the camera manufacturer to allow the phone and camera to discover each other remotely?

Thanks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Something that hardcore might be better addressed in the networking thread?

Well, I have both WyzeCams which are likely similar to her $20 Amazon cheapie; they link to servers whose physical location is in China; I've never seen anything other than traffic to those specific servers, even for firmware updates, but that's all I feel like gleaning about them.

I'm a little concerned about them being in China, but I'm pretty sure watching birbs, cats, and raccoons/possums in the backyard isn't going to be very racy for anybody.

The only concern would be that once that company decides to fold, her camera becomes super useless if they close down the servers; I went with Wyze since they're actively engaged with their users and if they managed to land a deal with MicroCenter, they're not going away anytime soon.

If the camera uses a generic camera, it should be possible to flash its firmware so that it could point to a location of your own choosing, like maybe if you set up your own server just to store vids.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 18, 2019

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The one concern is privacy, the other is becoming a bot in a botnet or a Bitcoin miner. The latter things are more likely to happen. Compromised devices can also attack other devices within your network, but I think that's pretty unusual for consumer devices.

If you're non-technical, the best option is using a reputable company with a domestic presence. Still not ideal, but it beats trusting a rando from AliExpress. Otherwise you have to be somewhat technical in order to segment your network.

To actually answer the question:

apropos man posted:

My question is, how do these cameras generally work? I'm assuming that the camera uses UPnP to open a port on her router, which is then used to allow the app on her phone access while she's out. If so, then is there a kind of DDNS ping to a central server that's run by the camera manufacturer to allow the phone and camera to discover each other remotely?

Yeah, pretty much.

azurite fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 18, 2019

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Thanks for the replies. I did think about putting it in the home networking thread and I was 50/50 on it.

I'll make sure she's changed the admin password, although it's debatable whether that makes it fully secure!

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My apartment association won't tolerate any visible exterior changes to the apartment or I'd get a Ring (or similar) installed. Is there a camera that I could mount inside the door and aim through the existing peep hole?

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

RadioPassive posted:

My apartment association won't tolerate any visible exterior changes to the apartment or I'd get a Ring (or similar) installed. Is there a camera that I could mount inside the door and aim through the existing peep hole?

If you can actually replace the peephole, Ring makes an ideal solution. But it does change how your door looks on the outside.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

We're pretty sure someone tried to break into our car in the driveway the other day (and the car was stolen out of the driveway some months ago, but recovered), so I decided to finally get a security camera. Picked up an Amcrest 4k turret, and while I can get it displaying in their Amcrest Surveillance Pro software, I haven't been able to get the PC-NVR thing actually recording the feed. I have a computer I leave on 24/7, so I figured giving it 300 gigs to record to would be the simplest (and cheapest) solution, but it just doesn't want to work. And of course my first contact with their support, describing that I had followed their instructions and video, was to tell me to follow their instructions and video.

Anyone have familiarity with this software?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm just automating a bedroom but I'm almost done, and have gone a little nuts with it maybe...

I have android, I use google services so I went with home (but a 3rd party speaker, not the actual home for better audio/mics). I also added a second firesale home speaker that has both the time readout and the outside temp readout. The idea there being no matter which 180 degrees you're looking you'd be able to see the time easily without looking at a phone). Both speakers also let you turn off whatever display elements you want with voice commands if you don't want the time/weather up.

I replaced all the lighting with hue. So the room has the rgb a19 overhead (1), the sidetable has a little lamp with just the white a19 (2), then also a little go rgb lamp (3) bouncing into the wall that the lamp hits too boosting the levels. The wall across the room with the windows has a lightstrip (4) running along the baseboard pretty much lighting that 1/3rd of the room. So if you think about in thirds, each section of the room has light coverage if the blinds are closed or it's night. I blocked off the OG switch with one of those magnetic cover things so you can't kill the power to the lighting accidentally, then put the hue switch in arms reach near the bed so you can just reach up and interact with the lights that way.

The lights run a IFTTT routine that pulls when sunset is, and then flips to on. And it works I'd say pretty well in terms of the ambient light getting too dark and the timing of the artificial lighting kicking in..maybe 5% being the timing sucking and you wait a few minutes in the dark if you don't just flip the lights on yourself. It's kind of nice not to really think about it and is probably the biggest everyday use for the smart lights. Another nice use case is it ties into my media player, so when I play, all the room lights fade out, then pause the lights fade back in quickly, and a full on stop brings the lights all the way back up again. Another thing I'd usually do myself before automating it. Going 3/4th on RGB also lets me match the color temp via voice command (set color to 6000k if I want to match the overcast ambient light coming in for example).

I added a wireless charger, and the home speaker to the nightstand that has the hue stuff. The speaker I got also has that digital LED clock readout which was part of why I got it. You're able to set time windows, so from I think 1am to something like 7am the thing dims to just visible but perfect for night vision if you wake up and want to know the time at a glace. This speaker is pretty much the main source of all GA commands, I have just about everything set to default to it rather than the second smart speaker, or my phones GA. It's kind of nice to be able to be in bed and issue a command thats picked up right next to you instead of across the room too.

Downside here being, I needed the hue hub, which only works with hue things. One plus being I could use a third party app to really customize the hell out of the accessories beyond the hue tools they give you. And the price is for sure more then any other lighting system (esp for being a closed zigbee loop).

Ikea came out with smart blinds, so I replaced the blinds I had now with a set, one for each window in the room. That meant I had to also get the ikea hub, another closed zigbee loop. Great. I realized I could have gone samsung ST and had one overall hub for these 2, plus ST devices, but I didn't think I'd be going beyond the hue stuff, and I already had the hue hub. So now, hub count is 2. The ikea system is 2 blinds, a wall plate and a magnetic remote, and then a transmitter and the hub. Luckily you can tie ikea devices into Home, so I have both blinds linked together with the actual up and down switch..or you can use google voice control ("close the blinds" "set blind(s) to a certain percent open/closed", etc) or, use the ikea app as a remote.

So now, what I do is run these two routines through Home voice commands- Bedtime, which turns off the lights, sets the bedside speaker to a specific volume, closes the blinds all the way, and then plays white noise.
Good morning- Sets the volume to a set level, tells me the weather for the day, opens the blinds fully so the room fills with natural light, kicks on one light set to daylight color temp at a low level in case there's no actual sunlight when i get up depending on the season, plays a specific list of daily newscasts.

I also added a chromecast to my AVR in the room, so between the surround sound system and the two smart speakers, everything can play as one speaker group, or individually and anyone can cast audio if needed quickly. I'm sure I could tie something with having a circle of sound in the room with the lights or blinds, but that seems unnecessary.

Here's my next moves...

I don't want to add any more hubs. I don't want to run a pi or any DIY hub either. I'd like to just stick with the 2 hubs/GA I have now.
I have a wall a/c unit in the bedroom. I'm going to get a smart IR blaster (sensibo) that will let me have voice control of the ac unit ("turn on cool" "set to __ temp") as well as start the a/c remotely so I can run it a little bit before coming back. I'll most likely set up geo fencing for this too so it kicks on as I get closer as a trigger. There's decent IFTTT support for the blaster and I don't need another hub..just the device itself near the ac unit.

I also have a little vornado space heater that I'd love to run in a smarter way. I have central heat in the bedroom but when it gets to 10-20f levels, it still needs a small boost. The vornado has a slower 500-750w setting that has an actual switch, so the idea is when the unit gets power it'll start in the switched mode with no interaction. Ikea makes a 1800w rated smart outlet that works on their hub system and comes with a mountable on and off switch in the same style as the blinds remote rocker. So that actual switch would live right next to the blinds one on the wall for a tactile controller, and then the smart outlet would be renamed to heat in GA letting me just say "turn on/off the heat" which is all I'd need. This one is probably the laziest of all the automation, literally just giving me a switch closer to the bed and voice control of on and off so I don't have to touch the device..but at the same time I don't need any modes changed and I don't want to remotely turn a space heater on and off at all..and already have the ikea hub, and transmitter in the room and the outlet/switch combo is 15 bucks. It should also in theory let me kill the power to that outlet outside of my network/house so I can always make sure the thing is off is I ever feel paranoid.

I wanted to have a temp sensor, but I couldn't find a way around needing another hub..so I found a wifi enabled sensor that's battery powered and has realtime lcd readout. The idea is I'll stick that thing next to the other smart switches, so you'll be able to see the room temp at a glance and then take the appropriate action "turn on heat/cool" with voice commands. If I'm not home, it'll send out a temp reading to an app either every 10 or 30 minutes, so I can see if I should kick on the a/c or not before coming home. Ideally I could automate that as well, but the cost of one button press vs having to run extra stuff is totally acceptable.

And lastly, hue came out with a smart button, so I'm going to put that in the nearest bathroom. The idea is to program a double click into kicking the bedroom lighting into a darkroom red at low levels for a full minute and then fading out to off. I'm dubbing this the piss light, so when you're now blinded and no longer night vision adjusted from your middle of the night bathroom trip, you double tap the piss button on the way out and the bedroom has dim red lighting to make sure you don't kill youself navigating back in the dark then shutting itself off in that 1 minute window when you're hopefully back in the bed..the red light also being the color that aids in sleep as well as being a great choice for maintaining night vision for anyone else in the bedroom your dumb pee trip wakes up.

I'm also going to set up tasker when I have a minute to trigger the good morning routine via GA text command when I press dismiss on my alarm app, saving me from having to talk to the speaker myself when I wake up.

Hopefully I'll have a trip report once I add the heat, cool, temp monitoring and piss button. What a time to be alive.

(all in all going with GA as the middle man has been pretty good..without it I wouldn't have voice control of the blind system or easily have them as part of a larger automated routine..it also gives me out of network remote access to a bunch of the devices, where the ikea hub does not..I'm pretty sure once I'm done I should be able to fully turn off the entire system without being on the LAN if need be without having another always on device going)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 23, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This has probably been answered a hundred times but I'll ask anyways.

I want to install an external camera system, 4-6 cameras, including a doorbell camera that I can record to local storage. I'd prefer wifi cams and no monthly fees. I'm fairly savvy but I'd be happiest with a simple setup and configuration. Alexa compatibility would be a bonus as we have a few Amazon screen devices.

Am I asking for too much for non subscription services?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you find the doorbell solution let me know.

The rest is a standard IP camera system other than whatever you think it should do with Alexa, which is probably addressed by some DVR/NVR software.

Fake edit: I checked, I use Blue Iris and it supposedly supports alexa things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

If you find the doorbell solution let me know.

The rest is a standard IP camera system other than whatever you think it should do with Alexa, which is probably addressed by some DVR/NVR software.

Fake edit: I checked, I use Blue Iris and it supposedly supports alexa things.

With RING and BLINK you can yell at your Amazon screen to "SHOW ME THE BACKYARD" and it will pull up that particular camera on whichever screen you're yelling at. It's incredibly easy to setup and use and I was just looking for something that would integrate all the features I want. I think I'm going to have to put a camera on the front porch in addition to the doorbell cam if I want to be able to review video without a sub.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I have a Samsung/Hanwha NVR out there in service with a dozen or so cameras connected to it. In Windows I've got several different ways to connect to it: web viewer, Smartviewer, etc. I have someone that wants to connect to it with a Mac Pro, but I'm clueless with Macs and can't find video management software for Macs that will connect directly to the NVR over the internet to view feeds. The webviewer "works" through Safari but I can only get it to show one camera at a time, I would like something that uses grids and can view multiple streams at the same time. To be fair, in Windows it really only seems to work fully with Internet Explorer, which is crap. Any suggestions on Mac VMS software? Doesn't have to be free.

I also have an issue with being able to record and play back audio on these camera feeds. I get live audio, but nothing on recordings. Not sure if this is a limitation of the NVR or what, but when I play back recordings an audio icon appears, but no audio.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gorson posted:

I have a Samsung/Hanwha NVR out there in service with a dozen or so cameras connected to it. In Windows I've got several different ways to connect to it: web viewer, Smartviewer, etc. I have someone that wants to connect to it with a Mac Pro, but I'm clueless with Macs and can't find video management software for Macs that will connect directly to the NVR over the internet to view feeds. The webviewer "works" through Safari but I can only get it to show one camera at a time, I would like something that uses grids and can view multiple streams at the same time. To be fair, in Windows it really only seems to work fully with Internet Explorer, which is crap. Any suggestions on Mac VMS software? Doesn't have to be free.

I also have an issue with being able to record and play back audio on these camera feeds. I get live audio, but nothing on recordings. Not sure if this is a limitation of the NVR or what, but when I play back recordings an audio icon appears, but no audio.

I haven't used BlueIris in many years, but it seems to be a jack of all trades so I wouldn't be surprised if it can serve a web page with the cameras displayed however you want.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't used BlueIris in many years, but it seems to be a jack of all trades so I wouldn't be surprised if it can serve a web page with the cameras displayed however you want.

It can. That's what I've been using begrudgingly (the only windows thing I'm maintaining but it's worth it) Unofficial plugins for the http interface are great.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
managed to snag a smart thermostat and a smart ir blaster on sale so far for BF, hoping the hue stuff drops too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Hey guys just dipping my toe into this stuff. I have a smart plug (Tplink Kasa) with a lamp plugged in and a Sonos speaker that is Google Assistant compatible. Basically I just want to do something location aware (cell phone) that triggers a Google Home routine to turn on the lamp and start playing some jazz on my Sonos speaker. Is there any way to do accomplish this? I looked at IFTTT and I can seem to definitely do the location aware smart plug turn on thing but I can't seem to find a recipe to turn on music (spotify) on the Sonos. There are some Sonos recipes but they seem to relate to actually using the Sonos itself but I'm using Spotify with it through the Google Assistant connected functionality.

Also I can't seem to find a way to do a location aware Google Home routine which is bizarre. It is so loving Google that they know everything about me but make me trigger a routine with a voice command haha.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If anyone is thinking about getting a smart thermostat don't forget to check if your utility company offers any rebates.

My electric company (AmerenUE) even has their own online store to buy thermostats where the pricing matches what you'd get at Amazon/Best Buy/wherever and then they take off their rebates instantly instead of you having to mail them copies of your receipt and wait for a check in the mail.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Thermopyle posted:

If anyone is thinking about getting a smart thermostat don't forget to check if your utility company offers any rebates.

My electric company (AmerenUE) even has their own online store to buy thermostats where the pricing matches what you'd get at Amazon/Best Buy/wherever and then they take off their rebates instantly instead of you having to mail them copies of your receipt and wait for a check in the mail.

I wish I coulda went this route..Had to settle for just a single room and a wifi sensor to monitor temps...I have another IR sensor coming that will let me control my AC unit (in theory anyway) through voice and in and out of home via phone so I can just fire that thing a little before I get home or just use a bunch of IFTTT triggers to do it automatically (when it hits a certain outdoor temp)..Much nicer to have something like a nest/ecobee but for accomplishing similar results for a single room I think this works.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are there any good homekit compatible thermostats that don’t require a C wire? My old furnace is a 2 wire affair. Would require a battery or some other power source.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
The eocobee has a converter kit you install in the furnace if you dont have a c wire. Its pretty easy to do.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Keystoned posted:

The eocobee has a converter kit you install in the furnace if you dont have a c wire. Its pretty easy to do.

I looked into this a little while back and it’s not too bad on a 4 wire setup but with only the 2 wire there are a few different methods and all of them seemed like more of a hassle I was willing to deal with (https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/227874667-Heat-only-2-wire-boiler-furnace-installations)

Someday our crap old furnace will die and something better will support automation I suppose. I’d like to get a spiffy heat pump system for heating and cooling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

August Smart Lock is $55 at Amazon today.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0752XNC8M

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've been waiting until there was some kind of open source solution for all of this stuff before committing to integrating anything into my house. Home Assistant is the closest I've seen that covers most of what I want. Has anyone had any experience with using it? I caught onto it after seeing a news article on Almond, an open Google Assistant-like that can integrate with it and is pretty interesting in of itself.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 4, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

I've been waiting until there was some kind of open source solution for all of this stuff before committing to integrating anything into my house. Home Assistant is the closest I've seen that covers most of what I want. Has anyone had any experience with using it? I caught onto it after seeing a news article on Almond, an open Google Assistant-like that can integrate with it and is pretty interesting in of itself.

I've been using it for a year, mostly with zwave devices. I have Amazon Kindles as control pads where I'm displaying HADashboard. I use Node Red for automations. It all works just fine.

You probably want to start out with the hass.io distribution.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, it gets talked about all the time in here.

I've used a lot of these sort of things and I think HA is probably the best all-around solution of them all.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Motronic posted:

I've been using it for a year, mostly with zwave devices. I have Amazon Kindles as control pads where I'm displaying HADashboard. I use Node Red for automations. It all works just fine.

You probably want to start out with the hass.io distribution.

I already have a fairly beefy Ubuntu server for Plex, Unifi and a bunch of other stuff so I'll probably throw it on that via Docker.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Would I be better suited to use Home Assistant (on a Pi), or to just use Homebridge for the few things that aren't working in my ecosystem right now? I just want to get my Nest and Logitech working with Siri, the Hue stuff is fine already. I have some time to worry about it, since I'm waiting for Amazon to ship me the Chamerlain garage door adapter, and that's what I'm apparently going to need Homebridge for (or else pay for a subscription from Cahmerlain).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

IUG posted:

Would I be better suited to use Home Assistant (on a Pi), or to just use Homebridge for the few things that aren't working in my ecosystem right now? I just want to get my Nest and Logitech working with Siri, the Hue stuff is fine already. I have some time to worry about it, since I'm waiting for Amazon to ship me the Chamerlain garage door adapter, and that's what I'm apparently going to need Homebridge for (or else pay for a subscription from Cahmerlain).

Homebridge will be much simpler to get going. Easy to move to HA if you want more abilities.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Is there a video doorbell that doesn't suck? I don't want cloud bullshit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How about a security camera & intercom that is next to a normal doorbell?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
If you already have doorbell wires, the Eufy.
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Doorbell-Resolution-Real-Time-Response/dp/B07R3WY95C/ (note if you do get one, click that Apply Coupon box if it is there for $40 off)
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-doorbell-camera/

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 4, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Red Warrior posted:

If you already have doorbell wires, the Eufy.
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Doorbell-Resolution-Real-Time-Response/dp/B07R3WY95C/ (note if you do get one, click that Apply Coupon box if it is there for $40 off)
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-doorbell-camera/

That's still IOT cloud poo poo.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/eufy/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

HA doesn't support the eufy doorbell at all I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

More dumb questions that should be easy to find answers for but somehow isn't:

Is there such a thing as a decent quality RGB LED "smart" bulb that doesn't rely on connecting to some server over the internet in order to function? There's people hacking remote controlled RGB bulbs with wifi-enabled ESP dev boards but I'd prefer something that's an actual product. Note I live in a 240v/50hz region.

I want an electric lock on my front door in addition to the traditional lock. The old lock would only be used when the house is empty for a period of time, the electric lock being there to stop the door from opening from the wind or whatever with it unlocking using some kind of proximity sensor on the inside and maybe, I dunno, RFID on the outside? I have no idea where to start with this, but it would be really convenient if I could get something like that working.

How do people deal with powering all this stuff? Do you run low voltage DC cabling through the walls to some internally installed AC/DC wall warts or is there something less dodgy than that?