Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

People often forget that Ross tries to have sex with his cousin, too

E: lovely page snipe, here:

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MizPiz posted:

And was still able to land 18

Wait what the gently caress I looked it up and she's an android

How do they have a child

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
She's actually a cyborg, not an android.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

:dudsmile:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

How do they have a child

Sometimes when a robot and a person love each other very much they have two like, mind children, or something, if the mom has reality-bending abilities...and then the children go away for some reason and it drives the person mad and, again since they have reality bending abilities, they depower all but the 127 most popular mutants in the world as a response to grief.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phlegmish posted:

How do they have a child

Their daughter is also somehow named after Krillin's ex girlfriend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Their daughter is also somehow named after Krillin's ex girlfriend.

Extremely powerful flex

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

(but actually this was bad reporting and it was hosting site giphy doing it because they thought they might get copyright claimed. You'd have to be monumentally stupid not to think having 1-2 viral memes from each episode of your show was anything but cold hard cash, and Disney is real good at marketing)

Nope, turns out Disney is extremely poo poo at marketing. This Christmas the only Baby Yoda toy you can buy is a god damned Funko. There's a fancy life size one coming out in April.
Like how the gently caress did nobody over there realise they were sitting on a gold mine? They've made figures of Mando and even that big burly Mandalorian from the third episode, but not Baby Yoda? You had one job!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I have the opposite problem, where I remember ever stupid thing that everyone else has done. It's a special kind of hell, lemme tell ya.

dear, can you pick up some milk on your way home today?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lodin posted:

Nope, turns out Disney is extremely poo poo at marketing.

Oh yeah totally lol

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Needs another panel with the Russian flag and a even smugger looking cat.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

lmao thank you for reminding me of this

Meme tax:

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Dec 4, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Took me about 10 seconds to realise this wasn't German.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I can't explain quite why but "Dan Backslide" is still one of the funniest names for a Snidely Whiplash sort of villain

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://youtu.be/KbQDP0eYzHk

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lodin posted:

Nope, turns out Disney is extremely poo poo at marketing. This Christmas the only Baby Yoda toy you can buy is a god damned Funko. There's a fancy life size one coming out in April.
Like how the gently caress did nobody over there realise they were sitting on a gold mine? They've made figures of Mando and even that big burly Mandalorian from the third episode, but not Baby Yoda? You had one job!

Disney is a loving marketing and merchandising behemoth. Literally everything they do is driven by marketing and merchandising. That's whats made them so successful over the last 30 years. I'm as surprised as you that they aren't cashing in on the baby Yoda thing but "Disney is poo poo at marketing" is ridiculous given you're basically talking about the biggest and most successful marketing/merch company in the world.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Disney is a loving marketing and merchandising behemoth. Literally everything they do is driven by marketing and merchandising. That's whats made them so successful over the last 30 years. I'm as surprised as you that they aren't cashing in on the baby Yoda thing but "Disney is poo poo at marketing" is ridiculous given you're basically talking about the biggest and most successful marketing/merch company in the world.

I've heard two contradicting reasons for that:
1. Disney just didn't see Mandalorian as marketable
2. The showrunners of Mandalorian asked for a delay in merchandise to avoid spoilers (similar to what's happened with a lot of Ep 9 merch)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

2. The showrunners of Mandalorian asked for a delay in merchandise to avoid spoilers (similar to what's happened with a lot of Ep 9 merch)

It’s at least been confirmed that the showrunners didn’t issue any full reviewer episodes to avoid spoilers like Baby Yoda appearing. Extremely little information about the show leaked early.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that they hosed up (and they hosed up BIG) in this one instance does not mean they "suck at marketing" overall lmfao

The stuff on their official site looks like something i could make in MSPAINT and cafepress in like 4 minutes:

It's embarrasing

That they still haven't learned to trust that Jon Favreau is a money-printing midas is definitely pretty strange

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mokinokaro posted:

The delay makes sense in terms of spoilers. Just kind of a missed opportunity to not have Baby Yoda stuff ready to go at least a week after the 1st episode aired.

I remember the 1998 Godzilla film being all hush-hush on revealing anything and on opening day I was at Walmart & saw the toy based on the monster. Needless to say I went into the theater with a diminished sense of anticipation.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Splendid posted:

Took me about 10 seconds to realise this wasn't German.

I thought that was just me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

The delay makes sense in terms of spoilers. Just kind of a missed opportunity to not have Baby Yoda stuff ready to go at least a week after the 1st episode aired.

I remember the 1998 Godzilla film being all hush-hush on revealing anything and on opening day I was at Walmart & saw the toy based on the monster. Needless to say I went into the theater with a diminished sense of anticipation.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1201671905293619200

quote:

I’ve been walking around for the last year with a face like the cat that ate the canary. I’m so, so, so excited to be a part of this and the phenomenon that Baby has become. The thing I was most nervous about was that my kids had been on set quite a bit. So they had seen Baby and interacted with Baby. When we were filming, my kids were 6 and 11; they’re now 7 and 12. When the kids went back to school, every single day I would say, “So, what are you not gonna talk about today?” And they would say, “Baby!”(Laughs) I’d be like, “That’s right!” I would just consistently remind them that there’s no circumstance that could ever arise where they’re allowed to talk about Baby. Now, for them, it’s very confusing, because I’m like, “Oh, now, you can talk about Baby,” and they’re like, “Oh, okay.” We’ve been having this routine for about a year now, and it’s fun; it’s really, really fun. Everyone is super pissed that there’s no merch. (Laughs) Everyone is like, “I want a Baby Yoda stuffed toy!” But I think they made a good choice in not focusing there and just focusing on the storytelling.

The fools. The utter rubes. can you imagine the roasting the Disney SW haters would've done on leaked pics, it would've ruined the whole thing, shooting the baby Yoda in the egg as it were

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Android Apocalypse posted:

Same, except mine was a Taco Bell cup with the 98 Godzilla on it.

Cloverfield is the only movie I can think of that successfully hid the monster until it was in theaters. The monster in the end was alright but a lot of the wild speculation and ideas people were coming up with were better. I specifically remember someone made a giant mutated humback whale which imo would've been awesome.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1201671905293619200

The fools. The utter rubes. can you imagine the roasting the Disney SW haters would've done on leaked pics, it would've ruined the whole thing, shooting the baby Yoda in the egg as it were

That's exactly how that works. Disney did not gently caress this up, but they should have somehow made an assload of merch in secret....and hid it all for a year....without anyone aside from cast/crew knowing about the character....?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wait when the gently caress does yamcha go super saiyan and how

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He doesn't. That's Yamcha's fantasy version of himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

That's exactly how that works. Disney did not gently caress this up, but they should have somehow made an assload of merch in secret....and hid it all for a year....without anyone aside from cast/crew knowing about the character....?

Honestly when I saw the end of the first ep I was like, seriously? Ugh. Because on paper it's the same “oh every single thing is secretly related to everything else in SW or otherwise a conspicuous throwback to the movies” crap that bloated the EU.

But in practice.....

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Phlegmish posted:

How do they have a child

It’s living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.

LIVING tissue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Honestly when I saw the end of the first ep I was like, seriously? Ugh. Because on paper it's the same “oh every single thing is secretly related to everything else in SW or otherwise a conspicuous throwback to the movies” crap that bloated the EU.

But in practice.....

What is related other than "this is a SW species we know little about"?? It's not like it's actually baby Yoda. I had that feeling at the climax of the EGG hunt scene more than anything when it powerfully and intentionally used the force.

Also, I doubt they can possibly be making as much from new subs to Disney+ over this character than they would be from massive amounts of character merch

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Don’t worry guys, Disney will still make an assload of money on Baba Yoda when they do release the merch. Xmas comes every year

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Bloop posted:

What is related other than "this is a SW species we know little about"?? It's not like it's actually baby Yoda. I had that feeling at the climax of the EGG hunt scene more than anything when it powerfully and intentionally used the force.

Also, I doubt they can possibly be making as much from new subs to Disney+ over this character than they would be from massive amounts of character merch

Well the long game is establishing D+ as the number 1 streaming platform (which is why they're charging about a third of what the true market value of a sub is worth) so they're leaving that near-term merch/sub money on the table while looking to the future, which I'll grant is unusual in a corporate economy ruled solely by quarterly earnings numbers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

T H E C H I L D but with a John Wick beard

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
YODA is BABY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/siimpstars/status/1202325110822187010

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

It’s living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.

LIVING tissue.

Also living organs. Because she's a cyborg.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a question, why didn't they make the Terminator a huge fat guy and fill his ample bulk with future laser guns and other sci fi weapons

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

zoux posted:

Here's a question, why didn't they make the Terminator a huge fat guy and fill his ample bulk with future laser guns and other sci fi weapons

Because you were busy that casting day.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

zoux posted:

Oh yeah totally lol

Big boss: La le lu le lo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

zoux posted:

They did in one of the comics