Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

medchem posted:

Wasn't part of the long delay for Jagged Earth because it would take time to get artwork?

Not only that, they specifically said that it was going to be a long process because they wanted to focus on a smaller pool of artists instead of farming it out more widely... for the stated goal of maintaining aesthetic consistency. :mmmsmug:

The guy's art is all over the place, so hopefully this one was just a fluke. He does have some legit great stuff in the mix but he's seriously channeling Phil Foglio sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I dunno, the art seems pretty consistently cartoony. It's just some of the pictures don't have any people so you've just got the flat colours and wonky draftsmanship, and not the weird smirking faces. Though sometimes the faces find a way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

I dunno, the art seems pretty consistently cartoony. It's just some of the pictures don't have any people so you've just got the flat colours and wonky draftsmanship, and not the weird smirking faces. Though sometimes the faces find a way.

he seems to do a good job with Glowy Nighttime poo poo :shobon:

he's not my favorite artist on Spirit Island by any means but it's not all Stubborn Solidity and Sea Monsters, either

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Straight White Shark posted:

Not only that, they specifically said that it was going to be a long process because they wanted to focus on a smaller pool of artists instead of farming it out more widely... for the stated goal of maintaining aesthetic consistency. :mmmsmug:

The guy's art is all over the place, so hopefully this one was just a fluke. He does have some legit great stuff in the mix but he's seriously channeling Phil Foglio sometimes.

That is some good art; the Phil Foglio/Klemens Franz channeling is probably why.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Thoughts on Clans of Caledonia? I've resisted buying it til now as I already have TM and GP and am probably most in love with GP (and don't play it enough) but the thought of a slightly easier-to-teach gateway game into GP doesn't sound terrible. Plus, some players just love Scots. I haven't really researched the game deeply but wanted thoughts before I took the time to delve.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
IMO Navegador does the whole market-in-a-euro thing better and TM does the whole "building for benefits" better.

In fact Navegador is extremely underappreciated by this thread. It's the first link in the chain of the euro-to-18xx pipeline and is Gerdts' best game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think it's his best but it is definitely underappreciated in the wake of Concordia.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want to try Navegador but it seems like I’d have to be the one to purchase it and I’m still infatuated with Imperial.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It doesn't play nearly as well at 2p as Concordia which is a problem for me. Otherwise it's a great game like most of his stuff. Still haven't heard a peep about Transatlantic, which makes me think it was not received very well.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

It doesn't play nearly as well at 2p as Concordia which is a problem for me. Otherwise it's a great game like most of his stuff. Still haven't heard a peep about Transatlantic, which makes me think it was not received very well.

Transatlantic is a lot more of a straitforward economic game. I like it but it’s not nearly as good as Navegador or Concordia.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gloomhaven 2.0: Frosthaven announced

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/e633h2/frosthaven_gloomhaven_20_announced/

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

IIRC Tom Lehmann (of Race for the Galaxy fame) made a 2p variant for Navegador

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Llyranor posted:

IIRC Tom Lehmann (of Race for the Galaxy fame) made a 2p variant for Navegador

Neat! I'll check it out, thanks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

One day there will be a really big box deluxe edition that includes an actual shipping crate for a box.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

One day there will be a really big box deluxe edition that includes an actual shipping crate for a box.

BGG has a thread where a guy speculates based on lore that there will eventually be 5 full gloomhaven games + expansions.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Memnaelar posted:

Thoughts on Clans of Caledonia? I've resisted buying it til now as I already have TM and GP and am probably most in love with GP (and don't play it enough) but the thought of a slightly easier-to-teach gateway game into GP doesn't sound terrible. Plus, some players just love Scots. I haven't really researched the game deeply but wanted thoughts before I took the time to delve.

It's pleasant enough but there's nothing there that makes me want to play it over TM/GP.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

BGG has a thread where a guy speculates based on lore that there will eventually be 5 full gloomhaven games + expansions.

Wow! I guess Im eventually going to be $600 poorer then!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jesus

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Control Volume posted:

I hope they port them to the digital client so that I'm only like $200 poorer. Over the course of like, 20 years or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is there a release date for it? I'm thinking about sitting down with my play group and asking "do we want this?"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Can't imagine seeing Frosthaven before mid-2021.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the pain of knowing there are 16 more classes coming and i can't spoil myself on them because i have an actual group that wants to play gloomhaven for the next 3 or so years.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Is there a release date for it? I'm thinking about sitting down with my play group and asking "do we want this?"

The big announcement banner at Pax Unplugged says Kickstarter launch March 2020, so plenty of time to get quarters in your piggy bank.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Control Volume posted:

Does this include the rented storage space to actually keep the things in?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

misguided rage posted:

Does this include the rented storage space to actually keep the things in?

You misunderstand, the Gloomhaven tabletop universe will be your new home.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I had a group of 5 on Sunday and I was about to successfully bust out Space Alert for the first time in many years! Still great, still confusing people about the difference between the C action for BattleBots and the BattleBots action. They said they would play it again so I'm pumped.

I also got us to play my first play of Pax Pamir 2nd Edition with more than 2 people. It seems really neat at 5, and people enjoyed it but we usually play less political games so I doubt many will want to break it out again. It felt really good making a last minute faction shift prior to a dominance check when I noticed the 3 players aligned with the to-be-dominant faction all did not have much influence.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've played one round of Here I Stand, so I'm clearly ready to dive into Virgin Queen in a 6-player game on Saturday. I'm the HRE. What should I do besides reading the rules and watching a couple of let's play videos?

Tekopo posted:

For the bad, the game is kind of swingy due to the victory conditions swinging quite widely if you aren't careful. The events are quite powerful as well, as far as I can see, although that's not necessarily a bad thing. Taking stock of who controls an area is also quite weird: only the Raj can really control an area and only active units (either from the revolutionaries or NV factions) actually contest control, but bases are always considered active, which can lead to some weird swings in control. There's also areas on the board that can't be controlled by the Raj because they are States, and if a region becomes a Muslim State they also lose control, no matter the number of pieces (a Muslim State is different since it doesn't necessarily start as a state, at the start there are no Muslim States, since they are created by the Muslim league, and there can be a State that is in a Muslim region but isn't a Muslim State). it's no where near as fiddly as Pendragon though.

Overall would recommend.

Fun fact: it's my fault that Jammu & Kashmir is a Princely State, and a Muslim space, but NOT a Muslim State. You're welcome!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

That would be a comically giant set of games.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

A buddy picked up Food Chain Magnate at a con and we’re set to play next week. I know folks were talking about 1st turn moves a few pages back. What does a new player need to know / what are the first turn moves to make?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Everyone spends their hire on recruiting girl turn 1, and recruiting girl + trainer turn 2. Build from there.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Radioactive Toy posted:

Still great, still confusing people about the difference between the C action for BattleBots and the BattleBots action. They said they would play it again so I'm pumped.

I always describe the card as "you yell BATTLE BOTS ATTACK" so when someone fucks it up we all get the mental image of someone walking around the spaceship alone screaming BATTLE BOTS ATTACK at no one

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I want Spacehaven, i.e. Space Alert crossed with Gloomhaven. Small upgrades to your ship (some of which are on the ship and last only until it's destroyed, but same could be part of your loadout similar to the heroic or special ability cards), different regions of unexplored space with unique mission tracks, pre-prepped threat decks etc, ranging from "scientific exploration in a space filled with monsters" to "reconnaissance missions behind enemy lines".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I want Gloomhavenhaven, where half your gaming group doesn't play the same loving game every session for half a year and leave you stuck with the AP guy every week and half your collection glued to the shelf with dust.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Tiger posted:

I want Spacehaven, i.e. Space Alert crossed with Gloomhaven. Small upgrades to your ship (some of which are on the ship and last only until it's destroyed, but same could be part of your loadout similar to the heroic or special ability cards), different regions of unexplored space with unique mission tracks, pre-prepped threat decks etc, ranging from "scientific exploration in a space filled with monsters" to "reconnaissance missions behind enemy lines".

But half the fun of space alert is that you make a small fuckup and get totally wiped out. How are you going to progress in an ongoing story when that keeps happening?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Clones, like the existing expansion campaign mode.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If you haven’t tried Paranoia the RPG yet, you should. Similar premise. Would be nice to have a legacy board game that was designed that way from the beginning.

Would a 6 player container game work? I have extra containers due to the hiccup in the first batch, resulting in a total of 115 containers. I also have an extra boat to use them on. I suppose I’d need a couple extra factories too?

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 5, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

tokenbrownguy posted:

A buddy picked up Food Chain Magnate at a con and we’re set to play next week. I know folks were talking about 1st turn moves a few pages back. What does a new player need to know / what are the first turn moves to make?

Print out the expansion milestones. They are just better than the base game milestones, and they signpost all the good openings by having a few milestones say "can only be acquired on or before turn two."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

Tbh if it’s everyone’s first time then just play the full game, ignore strategies and suggestions. It will become immediately obvious what the best openers are like 5 turns in which is maybe 15 minutes of gameplay and you can decide as a group if you want to run back from the beginning.

I think this is the best way to truly learn FCM. If there was someone who played before then yeah go RG but you’re all new so gently caress up, make mistakes, learn the game.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jedit posted:

I want Gloomhavenhaven, where half your gaming group doesn't play the same loving game every session for half a year and leave you stuck with the AP guy every week and half your collection glued to the shelf with dust.

I play once a week with my buddy and we do two scenarios, but I think we're gonna start just doing one scenario and then playing something else because otherwise we would never play another game again for at least a year. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

poemdexter posted:

I play once a week with my buddy and we do two scenarios, but I think we're gonna start just doing one scenario and then playing something else because otherwise we would never play another game again for at least a year. :gonk:

I'd have liked to have played more than 3 games of it before it got dropped for ever in favour of new shiny thing. I just don't have the space for it myself..