Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Pals, I've been doing some detailed political analysis and have come to the conclusion that it would be quite good if Jeremy Corbyn was the next Prime Minister. Happy to take questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Angepain posted:

Pals, I've been doing some detailed political analysis and have come to the conclusion that it would be quite good if Jeremy Corbyn was the next Prime Minister. Happy to take questions.

Will you apologise for your blatant antisemitism.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
So, uh, anyone live near Maidstone? Changing the debate venue to a tory seat at the last minute seems pretty dodgy...

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1201881883929382914

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

TulliusCicero posted:

Don't forget Pyrrhus of Epirus, who was such a god damned moron that he lost his army and fleet retaking a city from a massively smaller roman force

Or the absolute clown show that was Selucid and Ptolemy rule

The greeks militarily were massive goobers, who had like one strategy, and Phillip beat them with this ingenious thing called "horses" lmao

Pyrrhus? The guy who lent his name to technical victories with unsustainable casualties and whose idea of a coherent strategy was bouncing around between theatres like a rubber ball, constantly leaving his allies in the lurch? And who got gibbed by an old lady throwing a roof tile while he was trying to sack her home city?

And who can forget this exchange which definitely happened between Hannibal and Scipio Africanus after the Battle of Magnesia:

Livy, known truth-teller, posted:

Scipio: Who are the top 3 generals of them all?

Hannibal: Alexander, then Pyrrhus, then me :smug:

Scipio: What would you have said if you'd beaten me at Zama?

Hannibal: Then I would be the greatest of all time :smug:

:agesilaus: :smug:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 4, 2019

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1202342171233456133

polls popping off

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

what the

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Gone already

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Deketh posted:

Slag off Hannibal next, history buffs!

Hannibal's cavalry commander has what you're after, friend:

Marhabal posted:

Assuredly, no one man has been blessed with all God's gifts. You, Hannibal, know how to gain a victory; you do not know how to use it.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Braggart posted:

And who can forget this exchange which definitely happened between Hannibal and Scipio Africanus after the Battle of Magnesia:

Absolutely love the little classical smug face

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Octolady posted:

Im so endlessly amazed that people can see the millions of “lol Abbott can’t count” jokes on Twitter and think “Yes, I am the funny man, let me throw another one on the pile.”

loving Christ, just blocking these idiots on sight now.

Generally I find asking them if they're happy about the current prime minister not being able to count his children is a good way to shut them up.

Re. Crying, much like a bunch of you nerds, the last thing I remember letting me really cry in a way I would want to be able to do more often in everyday life was also games, namely that of Undertake and Lisa the Painful.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Gort posted:

Gone already

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1202344800562958337

they reposted it but it still doesn't make sense lol

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

efb: IGNORE ME

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

wocobob posted:

JEB: 5% (+5)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Deketh posted:

I do enjoy when I get to use it :D

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

wocobob posted:

I like that everybody dropped. Are people voting for the "gently caress it, ghost" party in the UK?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

TulliusCicero posted:

I like that everybody dropped. Are people voting for the "gently caress it, ghost" party in the UK?

Start of the CUKTIG surge.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

JEB: 5% (+5)

someone who is good at elections help; my propaganda is dying

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Spangly A posted:

someone who is good at elections help; my propaganda is dying

Promise more candles

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Literally a jump for "other"

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1202331839345676288

Here is the data for anyone interested

https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Final-Daily-Telegraph-GE2019-VI-Poll-04c12d19h.pdf

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deketh posted:

Named after an absolute tit of an American goon in the classical history A/T thread a few years back who thought we should totally go back to the classical system of government because he would absolutely be a philosopher-king and not Random Slave #113.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Deketh posted:

You mean the guy who lost tens of thousands of his men and most of his elephants infiltrating Italy through the Alps in October where he then after his victory at Trebia ended up with an under-strength army which had just marched for 5 months in a hostile area so he had to cut through a swamp to get away from Roman legions where he again lost a whole bunch of men (and an eye) and managed to get a win at Trasimene through what is easily some of the dumbest idiocy in martial history from Gaius Flaminius (let's just not do scouts and let's not link up with my reinforcements lol) only to end up far behind enemy lines and beyond resupply in Northern Italy when his allies were in *checks notes* Southern Italy and the other theatres were Iberia, Greece, Sicily and Africa. Which is where the war was lost. And neither he nor his men were there to help. Until he could finally make it back to Africa years and years later. Where he then promptly lost.

Real loving genious this guy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Deketh posted:

One of the things you usually don't hear about Hannibal is that after the 2nd Punic war he was elected Sufette (head of the Carthaginian government) and undertook a bunch of financial reforms and especially cracked down hard on corruption, both of which were so successful that within a few years Carthage was actually making more money than they had been prior to the 2nd Punic war in spite of losing a gently caress ton of territory. This caused the Romans to leverage the pissed off corrupt Carthaginian aristrocracy in order to force Hannibal into exile in order to avoid probably getting executed by someone.

He ended up basically scooting across the Near East finding whoever wanted to have wars with the Romans the most and leading armies for them because gently caress those guys

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

RabidWeasel posted:

One of the things you usually don't hear about Hannibal is that after the 2nd Punic war he was elected Sufette (head of the Carthaginian government) and undertook a bunch of financial reforms and especially cracked down hard on corruption, both of which were so successful that within a few years Carthage was actually making more money than they had been prior to the 2nd Punic war in spite of losing a gently caress ton of territory. This caused the Romans to leverage the pissed off corrupt Carthaginian aristrocracy in order to force Hannibal into exile in order to avoid probably getting executed by someone.

He ended up basically scooting across the Near East finding whoever wanted to have wars with the Romans the most and leading armies for them because gently caress those guys

I didn't actually know that, but loving vengeance mercenary Hannibal owns hard now

I do like that the smart Romans figured out "what if we just DON'T fight this guy in Italy, and just attack Spain, since it's practically defenseless because this dude brought his whole army over the loving Alps"

If I remember correctly didn't Hannibal's brother Hasdrubal or whatever gently caress up hard and not link up with Hannibal?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 4, 2019

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
Loving the classical history chat. It brings back some fond memories of getting hoplited up on (goofballs) Rome Total War way back in the day.

feedmegin posted:

Named after an absolute tit of an American goon in the classical history A/T thread a few years back who thought we should totally go back to the classical system of government because he would absolutely be a philosopher-king and not Random Slave #113.

Holy crap I think I remember reading that ages ago. He seemed, er, a bit unhinged.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
When did we leave the classical system?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Deketh posted:

To expand on this, we only really have Roman sources on Hannibal and the Carthaginians, so we can't really trust anything they said about him. Apparently when he was 9 his dad, who had fought well but lost the first war with the Romans, made him swear to always work towards the destruction of Rome. Did that really happen? gently caress no would be my educated guess. The Romans were just salty that he completely bamboozled them strategically and beat them so badly in so many battles, to the point that he became a boogeyman they used to scare their children. They were so shook that they freed and armed prisoners to fight him, and then he crushed their largest army in their greatest defeat to that point, not equalled for several hundred years. They won the war in the end, but they never beat Hannibal until after he withdrew from Italy to defend Carthage itself. He faced off against the Romans' best general - one of the few who wasn't basically a Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg - and lost, in part because large parts of his army were not really combat ready. This was a last-ditch defence, and it failed.

Rome developed an absolutely pathological hatred of Carthage because of Hannibal's exploits, which culminated in an extremely lopsided third war which ended with the destruction of the city and final, glorious release for Cato the Censor after he'd been edging about it for years :gizz: :agesilaus:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Oh also the Romans brought the Numidian tribes over to their side with their phenomenally good light cavalry, removing one of Hannibal's major advantages over Roman armies. Turns out Carthaginians being pricks to the local tribes wasn't the greatest idea ;)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Did they really salt the earth or is that an urban / biblical myth?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Nah, salt was expensive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Earth tastes like dirt without any salt though.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Braggart posted:

To expand on this, we only really have Roman sources on Hannibal and the Carthaginians, so we can't really trust anything they said about him. Apparently when he was 9 his dad, who had fought well but lost the first war with the Romans, made him swear to always work towards the destruction of Rome. Did that really happen? gently caress no would be my educated guess. The Romans were just salty that he completely bamboozled them strategically and beat them so badly in so many battles, to the point that he became a boogeyman they used to scare their children. They were so shook that they freed and armed prisoners to fight him, and then he crushed their largest army in their greatest defeat to that point, not equalled for several hundred years. They won the war in the end, but they never beat Hannibal until after he withdrew from Italy to defend Carthage itself. He faced off against the Romans' best general - one of the few who wasn't basically a Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg - and lost, in part because large parts of his army were not really combat ready. This was a last-ditch defence, and it failed.

Rome developed an absolutely pathological hatred of Carthage because of Hannibal's exploits, which culminated in an extremely lopsided third war which ended with the destruction of the city and final, glorious release for Cato the Censor after he'd been edging about it for years :gizz: :agesilaus:

The Roman hate-boner for Hannibal was so real that they adopted most of his tactics and glorified him as their absolute nemesis for the next couple centuries

Hell one of the main reasons the Roman Civil Wars start is because without Carthage, Italy had no real common enemy to fight ( like what, are Mithradates or the Macedonians going to threaten Rome?, hahahaha no)and started debating about "hey why does one city get to vote on loving everything? Aren't we citizens?"

It took a hundred years or so to really set in though

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Romans were brutal motherfuckers. They at the bare minimum razed the city and sold the population into slavery probably

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 4, 2019

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Braggart posted:

Oh also the Romans brought the Numidian tribes over to their side with their phenomenally good light cavalry, removing one of Hannibal's major advantages over Roman armies. Turns out Carthaginians being pricks to the local tribes wasn't the greatest idea ;)

It's been a while since I've binged on classical history, I always forget most of it. Any podcasts you'd recommend? I've done the History of Rome one, though could clearly stand a relisten

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So, genuine question; what happens when Labour looses and we get a Tory majority large enough to push their legislation? Because, honestly, that's looking like the most likely scenario right now.

What are everyone's personal plans for survival?

I'm thinking it's time to look at moving abroad into Europe before Brexit shuts out that option, because I don't think their will be anything left here for me.

What about Labour? I think it's fair to say that Corbyn needs to stand down after this. If he looses another GE to this opposition then he's clearly just bad at getting elected. You can argue, correctly, that the media is biased against him, but he's also very bad at playing that game, etc.

Thoughts?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Still catching up on thread but I finally fixed my computer and to celebrate I've donated a chunk more money to Momentum and signed up for recurring daily donations to Labour until the 12th. I've also said I'll do an early morning leaflet drop on polling day, and give people lifts to the polling station if needed.

Doing as much as I can, but I wish it was more. Thanks to everyone else who is doing all they can, no matter how little it may feel. With many thousands of us, it does add up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Didn't know there were so many classics goons itt.

Crying chat: hugs Owl and others. Take 24 hours out. I'm avoiding my labour emails today and off the computer most of the day to give myself a bit of a break. I just need time out. The big push is coming.

Sometimes a film can prompt crying.
One film I remember half the cinema literally choking with sobs was Breaking the Waves. The bit where the priest (who looks almost compassionate for a few seconds obviously has a tussle with himself and steps over her).
Another one where my shirt was literally soaking from crying was a film called Suburbia. There are two films of that name. The one I mean was a bunch of punks living in a run down house somewhere in an American suburb. Most had been abused or neglected. One had his 5yr old kid brother with him. Anyway god the end choked or what

Crying supposedly helps eliminate certain chemicals from the body that can make you feel like poo poo and also release tension. But on phone so not googling.

Latency chat: am not a gamer or stock market trader so it's fine for me. Esp at just £22pm.

Kuennsberg chat: doubt she's been even mildly reprimanded. I expect she's having a few days downtime before the last few days of the election. Without a doubt there's major smear Corbyn week coming up. Whatever comes through those doors hold the line.

Voting against the whip chat: looks like Hunt and Gove voted against their party whip in just 5 years 60% of the times Corbyn did in 20 years. How come they never get blasted?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PriorMarcus posted:

So, genuine question; what happens when Labour looses and we get a Tory majority large enough to push their legislation? Because, honestly, that's looking like the most likely scenario right now.

I'm thinking it's time to look at moving abroad into Europe before Brexit shuts out that option, because I don't think their will be anything left here for me.

What about Labour? I think it's fair to say that Corbyn needs to stand down after this. If he looses another GE to this opposition then he's clearly just bad at getting elected. You can argue, correctly, that the media is biased against him, but he's also very bad at playing that game, etc.

Thoughts?

Piss off with all that shite somewhere else? Hows that for a thought

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

You could always do "Revolutions" by the same guy who did "The history of Rome"

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
The salting thing apparently did happen, but more symbolically - a line of salt was cast down the centre of the city. Also, pretty much everyone was put to the sword. The Roman general, whoever he was, actually rotated his troops out because he considered the massacre would be too much for them mentally, without breaks of 'normalcy'. So I read.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

PriorMarcus posted:

Thoughts?

loving hell, av/post combo much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I will not stand for this slander of Carthage or a single one of her children. Hannibal owned and his strategy was fine, he just didn't account for the fact that Romans were complete loving lunatics who were absolutely willing to draft a new army and lose that one, too, over and over and over. Rome would look at WW1 and be utterly uncomprehending about why anyone gave up when there were still people who could pull a trigger.

Carthago Suprema Est. Except in Phoenician, which I have no idea how to say.

PS yeah we sacrificed kids and WE WERE RIGHT TO DO SO