Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve had the same TV for 5 months and I’m super happy with it. Do let me know if you notice video/audio cutting periodically cutting to black for a few seconds.

How can you be super happy with that issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How can you be super happy with that issue?
I’m not but I can’t figure out why it’s happening. It could happen a couple times during one longer YouTube video or it might not happen at all, like last night when I watched 2.5 hours of stuff from HBO GO and FX NOW.

I use my FireTV stick exclusively but I want to say it happened when I used the built-in YouTube app before I got the FireTV, but that could still point to it being a network issue even though my connection is strong.

Obviously what I need to do is use the TV’s built-in apps for a while to eliminate the FireTV being a source of problems.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I just got the 70 inch Vizio M Series yesterday and the screen looks really...blurry? Nothing looks crisp. Is this a bad screen, a bad purchase, or a setting issue?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m not but I can’t figure out why it’s happening. It could happen a couple times during one longer YouTube video or it might not happen at all, like last night when I watched 2.5 hours of stuff from HBO GO and FX NOW.

I use my FireTV stick exclusively but I want to say it happened when I used the built-in YouTube app before I got the FireTV, but that could still point to it being a network issue even though my connection is strong.

Obviously what I need to do is use the TV’s built-in apps for a while to eliminate the FireTV being a source of problems.

Could be a HDCP handshake issue which would be resolved by changing the HDMI cable.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
My new vizio M quantum 55” something or other got in yesterday. Got it I mounted onto a little aftermarket stand so it would fit on my media center and holy gently caress this thing is MASSIVE. The only thing that makes it not look completely ridiculous in my living room is that we have tall ceilings. So loving glad I didn’t got for a 65”.

Anyway tonight I’ll get to troubleshoot why the sound wasn’t coming through the speakers hooked up to the receiver and try and find a good picture setting.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Give it a few weeks and it'll start to look average and you'll entertain the idea of upgrading to 65 next time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stan Taylor posted:

So loving glad I didn’t got for a 65”.
And now we wait...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

American McGay posted:

And now we wait...

Lol

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you using that little 6in HDMI extender the sticks come with? I've had issues with those.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Well I procrastinated buying the Vizio P-Series Quantium because I was second guessing my decision as that is my thing even though we literally have the money set aside already to pay for it and now it is up to $999 instead of the $849 for Black Friday.

How often do these things go on sale? I was going to put it on my Discover card because it is 5% cash back %5 cash back match on Amazon through the end of December.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Three Olives posted:

Well I procrastinated buying the Vizio P-Series Quantium because I was second guessing my decision as that is my thing even though we literally have the money set aside already to pay for it and now it is up to $999 instead of the $849 for Black Friday.

How often do these things go on sale? I was going to put it on my Discover card because it is 5% cash back %5 cash back match on Amazon through the end of December.

Looks like you shouldn't have to wait long: https://www.joinhoney.com/shop/amazon/p/1_f245679d5520dfeb0eaefb5402ed75a6_cee29b1712518f26dcdcd33ffe2801be#price-history

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I seem to remember sales around Super Bowl time on TVs too, so maybe around that time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Euphoriaphone posted:

Rakuten trip report: My C9 was delivered today. Shipping from NJ to CA with AM Trucking took 3 weeks (+ about an extra week for me since I was out of town when they were supposed to deliver it initially, so it got delayed - the "estimated due date" on the site ended up being the exact delivery date).

The delivery process went the same as Animal's description earlier in the thread. 2 delivery guys brought it in, opened the box and turned it on. They took a picture of the TV on and had me sign. They didn't help me setup the stand or anything, and I didn't have time to inspect the panel at all. They were in and out within 5 minutes. The TV itself didn't have any plastic wrap on the front, which was a little strange as the back side did and youTube unboxings I've seen have had a wrap. They did arrive super early (scheduled for 2 pm - 6 pm, showed up at 9:30 am when I was the 7th stop on their route), at least.

Thankfully, the panel seems to be as flawless as you could hope for from an OLED. I just tested it a bit using YouTube grey patterns and I didn't see any banding or splotches. Haven't dived into the settings much, but I've previously owned Samsungs and LG's menus seem to be equally obtuse (it took forever to figure out how to label an input as "PC", and I still can't find the update option).

In short: Rakuten/iElectrica seems to be a safe way to save a few hundred on an LG OLED, if you're ok with a long shipping time (especially if you're on the west coast).

I'm glad you posted this review, because I ordered a C9 65" from a seller on eBay for $1700, and they're using AM Trucking to deliver it. I'm on the same coast as NJ, so it hopefully won't take 3 full weeks to get here.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Any guidelines on television height? We’re mounting for the first time, and it’s a big ole blank wall with a short “stand” to hold the AV/Network equipment, so we have a lot of flexibility.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Boxman posted:

Any guidelines on television height? We’re mounting for the first time, and it’s a big ole blank wall with a short “stand” to hold the AV/Network equipment, so we have a lot of flexibility.

You want the TV lower than you think. Sit on your couch. You should not be looking up at your TV, you want your eyes to go straight to the middle of the TV. I like the bottom of my TV to be like 36 inches off the ground.

That may not happen with kids, etc, but that's what I prefer and how we mount our video conference room TV's at work.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boxman posted:

The lower the better for me. Of course it's all a matter of preference.

General rule of thumb is middle of the screen at eye level for your most used viewing position (ie on the couch).

Just don't put it over your fireplace or some dumb poo poo like that.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
I picked up the LG C9 65" and it's my new favorite thing. Is there a detailed rundown of the various picture processing features in LG TVs anywhere? There are so many of them that besides turning off motion interpolation I have no idea what the cost/benefit of each is in terms of calibration.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BonoMan posted:

Just don't put it over your fireplace or some dumb poo poo like that.

Why do so many people do this?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rhyno posted:

Most fireplaces are in the middle of the room and people like putting their TV in the middle of the room. Also, there's usually a big open spot above the fireplace. Definitely a design over function thing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah our new house came pre wired with a TV/media cable running tube in the wall from the ground to above the fireplace. Which just means I'll have to do my own run to a different wall spot but anyway point being it's rapidly become a commonly accepted design practice or fashion choice to where it's just done now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wandler20 posted:

Most fireplaces are in the middle of the room and people like putting their TV in the middle of the room. Also, there's usually a big open spot above the fireplace. Definitely a design over function thing.

My parents remodeled their entire downstairs, and I could rant about the stupidity of what they did all day long. The majority of the first floor is now one big L shaped room, an entire open canvas to put a TV, but above the fireplace was apparently the only place for the TV to go :negative:

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Currently have a a 42” Vizio E420-A0 purchased in early 2013 for $308.

Nothing is wrong with it aside from it being older. I don’t need a smart tv with WiFi and this and that. But if I were to want to upgrade to a new model, I’m guessing I’m generally getting more responsive inputs (eg, remote controller), upgrade to 4K, and better screen brightness?

I’m eyeing the following 55” TVs:

Toshiba - 55LF711U20 - $288 (open-box)
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/toshiba/fire-tv-2019

TCL - 55S425 - $300
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/4-series-2019

Samsung - NU6900 - $304 (open-box)
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu6900

Any of those sound like good purchases? Anything else I should consider?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

It is the best place in my living room to set a TV. It's in the middle of the room, and the walls were better suited to putting a in-wall speaker setup that has the speakers evenly placed. And it's my house, so IDGAF what anyone else thinks because I like it :shrug:

edit: oh yeah, I have a toddler who loves swinging a hockey stick around the entire house, so anything under 3' is in the Danger Zone.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just set up my new C9 and I have seen God. He is in 4K HDR

however 4K content seems kinda few and far between right now?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

AndrewP posted:

Do you have Prime? Go watch the Grand Tour.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AndrewP posted:

4k Blu Rays > Prime > Netflix > all

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

AndrewP posted:

Disney+ has a lot of great poo poo to demo the set, especially the 4K HDR Pixar stuff. Inside Out and Coco blew my loving mind.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wandler20 posted:

Do you have Prime? Go watch the Grand Tour.
Don't support that knob Clarkson.

Go watch Disney+ instead! :shepspends:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GreenNight posted:

4k Blu Rays > Prime > Netflix > all

gotcha, thanks.

yeah Disney + seems to have a lot of great stuff. I've been sampling a few different things - Star Wars (IV) looks incredible. The Lion King was stunning.

I found a Dark Knight heist scene in 4K HDR on Youtube which looked absolutely gorgeous but I noticed a liiittle bit of motion artifacts. Not sure if that's my motion settings or Youtube or just OLED, which I've read maybe doesn't handle motion as well as LED?

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 4, 2019

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm regretting not buying the 55" Sony X800G when it was $499 all last week because it's now $699

oops

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AndrewP posted:

The Earth BBC docs on Netflix are 4K HDR. I believe The Expanse will also be when it comes back.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AndrewP posted:

4K HDR on Youtube
Think we found the problem here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not sure if this is a common issue but Netflix doesn't seem to handle 4K stuff that well on my setup, it's sharp but to my eye it has a look similar to motion-smoothing

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If you're trying to demo 4K content you should be using 4K blu rays. It's like 8x the bitrate of streaming. It's not even close. Blade Runner 2049, Lucy, Blue Planet 2, etc... all good choices.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

morestuff posted:

Not sure if this is a common issue but Netflix doesn't seem to handle 4K stuff that well on my setup, it's sharp but to my eye it has a look similar to motion-smoothing

4K streaming is nice and better certainly than 1080p streaming but it's still easy to notice the compression and absolutely solid media or perhaps locally hosted media on a plex server will blow HBO/Netflix/Amazon out when it comes to 4K quality.

I actually need to get a 4K capable bluray player speaking of.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

tangy yet delightful posted:

4K streaming is nice and better certainly than 1080p streaming but it's still easy to notice the compression and absolutely solid media or perhaps locally hosted media on a plex server will blow HBO/Netflix/Amazon out when it comes to 4K quality.

I actually need to get a 4K capable bluray player speaking of.

That's true from what I've seen so far, but Netflix still seems noticeably worse than say Amazon and Disney+.

I was tempted to get a blu-ray player on Black Friday but I'm set on holding out for the PS5

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

4K blu rays
Blade Runner 2049
Oh. My. God.

I am so loving excited!

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
Speaking of which, is there a short list of recommended 4k blu ray players? A lot of them seem to advertise streaming services, which seems redundant given the smart nature of most TVs these days (including the LG C9 I'd be buying this for).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Is streaming more constrained on the server side or the client side? Because we have an unmetered gigabit internet connection that I could hard wire into a streaming box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Server side. Netflix 4k is ~25 mbit. 4K blu rays are ~120mbit.

Top Quark posted:

Speaking of which, is there a short list of recommended 4k blu ray players? A lot of them seem to advertise streaming services, which seems redundant given the smart nature of most TVs these days (including the LG C9 I'd be buying this for).

I have a love/hate relationship with everything I've tried. The Sony players don't auto select Dolby Vision -- you have to toggle it. The LG UBK80/90 have broken HDMI CEC implementations and you need to break a pin on your HDMI cable to make them not turn themselves on with the TV and steal the input. If you're willing to tinker they're <$200. The Panasonic DP-UB820 is good across the board but just stupid expensive.

KS fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 5, 2019