Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I think Tesla is getting close for sure. The v3 superchargers put I think like 185 miles on in 15 minutes for the Model 3 long range? And Porsche's vehicle can charge even faster but has a much shorter range and is 3x the price. 15 mins starts to fall in to the realm of "oh hmm all the pumps were full and the person I got behind is buying smokes and a year's worth of lottery tickets" if they have enough supercharger stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I can easily spend 15 minutes at a gas station if I fill up, go to the restroom, and grab a snack.

Also, here's a pretty good overview of how the cybertruck is probably not going to be a very good truck.

https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

:same:

Plugging the 546 mile trip to my mothers into Tesla’s route planner says three stops for charging (20-35-75) and a total of 12 hours and 9 minutes vs 9 hours and 28 minutes for Google Maps. So if you figure a 5 minute pee break into the google maps trip (both my F-150 and Accord Hybrid will easily do 550 miles on one tank) you’re talking about over 2.5 extra hours, or nearly a 30% increase in travel time. Pretty significant.

My next vehicle will probably be a BEV but I will almost certainly continue to use an ICE vehicle for any trips over ~300 miles

Tesla's trip planner prioritizes charging up to high SoC over faster speeds. Try ABRP, you'll likely get half or less than half of those times.

In a couple of weeks, I'm doing a 6,000 mile round trip with my family. Here's our first leg:

Tesla

ABRP

There's no way it's safe for your body to only take a couple of 5 minute breaks along the way. Stop, walk around, go to the restroom, eat something. An hour of time outside the vehicle in a 550 mile trip is definitely something you should try to do.

Edit:

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can easily spend 15 minutes at a gas station if I fill up, go to the restroom, and grab a snack.

Also, here's a pretty good overview of how the cybertruck is probably not going to be a very good truck.

https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs

Towing won't be practical until 500 kWh battery packs and 350+ kW charging becomes the normal thing. So wait until the semi I guess.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 4, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm doing 400 km one way in a Leaf 2 just before Christmas, over a snowy mountain pass. I figure it will take up to 1.5 hours longer than ICE due to winter consumption, posssible charging queues etc. But I still wouldn't consider an ICE. Thanks to experience and planning, I never have to be at a certain spot and time straight after a long drive. The extra time it takes is just par for the course. Would you cancel a trip if you knew there was a long detour? Or would the holiday celebrations be cancelled if you got a late start for whatever reason? Of course not. It's a teeny tiny sacrifice for me to drive electric. For others it may vary, but simply saying "it takes a bit longer therefore it's worse" is a pretty lazy argument. How tiny a sacrifice are you willing to make?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Well I'm not going to wait in line hours for a supercharger like people this past Thanksgiving weekend here in California. Driving around town, sure I'll take an EV, but not for long road trips, especially in the winter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Charles posted:

Was it a Datsun 510? Ours lost it

A Mk I Ford Fiesta; we were in England. Sold it and got some kind of Renault that was better, thanks to the low bar. It had a complete floor at least.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Tesla's trip planner prioritizes charging up to high SoC over faster speeds. Try ABRP, you'll likely get half or less than half of those times.

In a couple of weeks, I'm doing a 6,000 mile round trip with my family. Here's our first leg:

Tesla

ABRP

There's no way it's safe for your body to only take a couple of 5 minute breaks along the way. Stop, walk around, go to the restroom, eat something. An hour of time outside the vehicle in a 550 mile trip is definitely something you should try to do.

Edit:

Towing won't be practical until 500 kWh battery packs and 350+ kW charging becomes the normal thing. So wait until the semi I guess.

Just something to keep in mind with ABRP is you may want to account for a bit more of an arrival charge buffer, especially if weather is poor. I'd rather waste an extra 5-10 minutes on a trip arriving at each stop with 15% SOC if its raining than risk running out due to unexpected headwinds or whatever.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Just something to keep in mind with ABRP is you may want to account for a bit more of an arrival charge buffer, especially if weather is poor. I'd rather waste an extra 5-10 minutes on a trip arriving at each stop with 15% SOC if its raining than risk running out due to unexpected headwinds or whatever.

Yep. I left in the default 5 minute "Time to Open Charge Port" since getting off the freeway, finding the station, and plugging in takes about that long. Also, I had it set to 50f since that's about what temp it is around here but I'll have to lower that temp down as I start trekking through the mid-west and onward.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Teslabjorn on youtube has been doing "1000km challenges" in various cars, i think he's at around 10 hours in a Tesla Model 3 at this point which is pretty decent. You're not going all that much faster in an ICE car.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

sanchez posted:

Teslabjorn on youtube has been doing "1000km challenges" in various cars, i think he's at around 10 hours in a Tesla Model 3 at this point which is pretty decent. You're not going all that much faster in an ICE car.

He's also does these in the Nordic countries, where EV's would suffer the worst from cold weather effects (though, inversely, they have the best charging infrastructure of the European countries)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Galler posted:

Yeah, for me driving that distance would involve a single 5 minute stop halfway through to pee. I guess if I was driving through a rural area in the middle of winter I might also get gas to make sure I never got below half a tank but that would only add a few more minutes. I'm noticing a lot of EV trip reports involve 'stopped to charge several times for half an hour but it's cool because we wasted time nearby while the car was charging.' I guess that works for some people but no thanks.

I'm excited for the EV future but not so much the present. Thanks early adopters, your sacrifice probably won't be remembered but I appreciate it anyway.

Wow you waste 5 minutes to pee? That's a ridiculous waste of time. While certainly you should have a gas car if long road trips are a thing you do often (as defined by let's say needing to charge more then 20 minutes on a fast charger); I also think not willing to stop for 20 minutes every 2 hours or whatever is you being impatient. Gas is more flexible the longer trips are the more I think that flexibility matters.

Thanks late adopters with insane goal posts for what is required of an electric car. Sorry electric cars aren't better in every way shape and form yet maybe some day!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 5, 2019

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://jalopnik.com/extremely-illegal-record-for-cross-country-cannonball-r-1840172968

If you're not averaging 93 mph & peeing in cups during your road trips then you're doing it wrong.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I did 1000 miles along I90 to Seattle with a friend in a Jetta GLX when I was younger and dumber. We were going 120+ a lot but keeping the average above 75MPH was loving hard. Keeping it at 93 - wow.

Got our asses saved by some truckers that blocked all the lanes so we had to slow down right at the Idaho border. 1 mile later was a speed trap. Never waved so hard in my life.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 4, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is it safe? Probably not.

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of us do it pretty regularly. I live roughly 400 miles from my closest family in any direction. 6-8 hour non-stop road trips are just a part of the holidays, and they generally start after work so spending another half hour refueling pushes my arrival further in to the AM, which is bad in many of its own ways.

That said, assuming 332 Wh/mi is reasonable for 85 MPH highway speeds, ABRP thinks that with an LR 3 I'd only spend a half hour charging on my Christmas trip to my parents' place so things are a lot better than the last time I looked in to this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wolrah posted:

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of us do it pretty regularly. I live roughly 400 miles from my closest family in any direction. 6-8 hour non-stop road trips are just a part of the holidays, and they generally start after work so spending another half hour refueling pushes my arrival further in to the AM, which is bad in many of its own ways.

That said, assuming 332 Wh/mi is reasonable for 85 MPH highway speeds, ABRP thinks that with an LR 3 I'd only spend a half hour charging on my Christmas trip to my parents' place so things are a lot better than the last time I looked in to this.

Turns out truck drivers can drive up to 8 hours before they are required to take a 30 minute break. This however isn't after an 8 hour day of work. So yeah I'm going with this is unsafe and you absolutely shouldn't do this. Whelp drinking and driving is bad, surely being tired and driving is fine. I'm fine. Totally fine. Hey maybe I should just watch a movie as I drive to keep me up. Let me just start that up by fussing with this touch screen. (I'm actually not sure the Tesla would let you do that, I mean after all people are totally responsible and passengers do exist)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 5, 2019

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Wow you waste 5 minutes to pee? That's a ridiculous waste of time. While certainly you should have a gas car if long road trips are a thing you do often (as defined by let's say needing to charge more then 20 minutes on a fast charger); I also think not willing to stop for 20 minutes every 2 hours or whatever is you being impatient. Gas is more flexible the longer trips are the more I think that flexibility matters.

Thanks late adopters with insane goal posts for what is required of an electric car. Sorry electric cars aren't better in every way shape and form yet maybe some day!
You're being very pessimistic. With the way things are going I bet we're less than 5 years away from EVs being strictly better than ICE vehicles for virtually all use cases.

I hope that's accurate since I'll probably be looking to replace my daily driver about then.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Galler posted:

You're being very pessimistic. With the way things are going I bet we're less than 5 years away from EVs being strictly better than ICE vehicles for virtually all use cases.

I hope that's accurate since I'll probably be looking to replace my daily driver about then.

You're being very pessimistic, we're already there at least as far as for most people (well at least for people who can charge it to full daily, be it at work/home whatever). But but but noooo I can't be expected to stop for 20 minutes every 2 hours that single digit time of the year I need to. That's a really big sacrifice to me! Like that's crap. People do this poo poo all the time they come up with huge "what ifs" and are like whelp can't get an electric car yet sorry.

That craps partly responsible for why my options for small cars is so limited in the United States of America. Oh what if I need to lug all my furniture? Every day. (I mean otherwise you'd just rent a truck for those days you need it right? Right?). Whelp even if I wanted a smaller vehicle it becomes a safety concern. Can't wait for EV vehicles to get bigger because of people demanding ridiculous amounts of range they won't need even once a year. It's not like I'm immune, part of the reason I bought a Bolt was it's range, that I'll probably never need.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Good news for small car likers: Mini said with ev tech they can make their cars smaller. I saw an article where they hoped to make smaller vehicles over time with the advantage of simpler ev architecture. Plus rumors are Mazda is discussing an electric Miata.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duck and Cover posted:

You're being very pessimistic, we're already there at least as far as for most people (well at least for people who can charge it to full daily, be it at work/home whatever). But but but noooo I can't be expected to stop for 20 minutes every 2 hours that single digit time of the year I need to. That's a really big sacrifice to me! Like that's crap. People do this poo poo all the time they come up with huge "what ifs" and are like whelp can't get an electric car yet sorry.

That craps partly responsible for why my options for small cars is so limited in the United States of America. Oh what if I need to lug all my furniture? Every day. (I mean otherwise you'd just rent a truck for those days you need it right? Right?). Whelp even if I wanted a smaller vehicle it becomes a safety concern. Can't wait for EV vehicles to get bigger because of people demanding ridiculous amounts of range they won't need even once a year. It's not like I'm immune, part of the reason I bought a Bolt was it's range, that I'll probably never need.

Could you speak up? I can't hear you from way up on that pedestal.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you’re worried about DVTs I doubt there’s a difference between walking around 5 minutes every 3 hours vs walking around 20 minutes every two hours but if you’ve got some literature to the contrary I’d like to check it out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Or, you know, just moving your legs around a lot which can be hard on a plane but is pretty easy in the car usually.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Local Peugeot dealer is showing e208, e2008 and the eLegend concept on Saturday, I'm going. Will be cool to try the 208 on for size. I think I'm the only one from Bergen ITT, if not it's at Bertel O. Steen in Kanalveien, Sat 10-16.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i am a french car apologist and the 208 loving sucks as a gas car, it can't possibly get worse

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Westy543 posted:

Plus rumors are Mazda is discussing an electric Miata.

Yes please.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
More anecdotal charge evidence with a 3, just did Tucson to LA (and back). Probably one of the easiest to do the 20-70% stops on because of the density of chargers. Stopped 3 times on the way there-- for 26, 19 (v3!) and 52 minutes-- the last one was lunch in palm springs, so we just let it go all the way to 100 as we ate. On the way back, we did 4 stops, 17, 24, 23 and 27 minutes. The first was at an urban, because all the 120+ kw stalls were full in LA, so I didn't want to queue. So both ways we spent about 90 minutes charging, with gas we'd probably have stopped for only an hour total or so, so 30 min on a 10 hour drive, not a big deal.

After dealing with LA's supercharger congestion, I wish there were one or two banks of interstate-adjacent chargers with highly punitive rates for people with home addresses in the area to prioritize them for people with no home or level 2 options, really so that they're free for people passing through. This will be less of a concern if they ever release a CCS adapter and other DCFC stations pop up.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Qwijib0 posted:

After dealing with LA's supercharger congestion, I wish there were one or two banks of interstate-adjacent chargers with highly punitive rates for people with home addresses in the area to prioritize them for people with no home or level 2 options, really so that they're free for people passing through. This will be less of a concern if they ever release a CCS adapter and other DCFC stations pop up.

I've been wanting pay-only urban superchargers in Norway for a while now, Drammen is a complete shitshow because locals with free charging park out at them because FREE. Norway has quite a few older teslas with free lifetime charging, which makes this worse.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

322 seems reasonable in terms of energy. And abrp has been very accurate for me to date provided I was honest with the inputs. If you put in like 125% reference speed and like 85 mph top speed it should give accurate numbers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

Yes please.
A Miata that's faster off the light than a diesel Skoda? I'll believe it when I see it!

I really wouldn't be against the idea (gonna keep the NB of course) if it doesn't get too fat but that's not happening this generation with the power density being what it is.

The ND engine + trans is like 180kg, the Taycan front motor is about 80kg for 250 hp which would be just about perfect for the miata. We wouldn't need the fuel tank so we have about 140kg left for batteries. The density seems to be around 250wh/kg in the M3 so that's 35kWh or 100 miles of range if you go with the 322 Wh/mi as above. In practice I'd imagine it'd be even less when you floor it at every opportunity.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

In a Miata, I'd settle for 150 miles range. It would weigh more than the current model, but probably with a lower center of gravity. If they make my dream version, it would have two motors and torque vectoring, but it wouldn't need a rear diff, so that's probably not a real bad deal on weight. I think the result would still be an absolute blast to drive.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

If you want people to adopt EV's, you have to think about what real consumers actually want. I have a Bolt, and a TDI that gets over 550 miles on a tank, and I know which one is better for road trips. Not everyone wants to deal with having apps for Electrify America, Chargepoint, EVgo, and greenlots and Plugshare to navigate the charger network. Early adopters are fine with it, but you are kidding yourself if you think that range and the poor charging networks that exist (even including Tesla, really) aren't having a huge impact on public perception of EV's. It will get better over time, but we have to be realistic.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There’s no way I could have an EV as my only vehicle but that’s fine right now because we’re a multi car household so we can have an EV and an ICE but what do I do when my wife leaves me?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

bird with big dick posted:

There’s no way I could have an EV as my only vehicle but that’s fine right now because we’re a multi car household so we can have an EV and an ICE but what do I do when my wife leaves me?

Buy a Miata? Oh no wait! You start a project car!

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Shai-Hulud posted:

Buy a Miata? Oh no wait! You start a project car!

Miata 👏 Is 👏 Always 👏 The 👏 Answer 👏

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Westy543 posted:

Miata 👏 Is 👏 Always 👏 The 👏 Answer 👏

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Have Miata, can confirm.

I want it to be an EV so bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don’t let your dreams be dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fj3tnWxW0A

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Its my only car so I can't gently caress it up. Also it's an ND so I'm better off waiting until a real EV Miata is released and going with that. Which I will.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Was this posted yet? Doug DeMuro reviewed the Taycan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vq6KEOIiMg

The driving reaction when he punches it is hilarious. And when he rants about people complaining about the "turbo" badging.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is cool. In my home town Bergen, Norway, we're getting some new trolley buses. They've been around for many decades, only one line still has the overhead cables. Now they're extending the line through the city centre and building cables on the other side of it. The buses have a 55 kWh battery which charges while it's driving so it can cross through the city on battery power and hook up to the cables while moving afterwards.

https://www.tu.no/artikler/ti-nye-fullelektriske-trolleybusser-er-pa-vei-til-bergen/480520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

japtor posted:

Was this posted yet? Doug DeMuro reviewed the Taycan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vq6KEOIiMg

The driving reaction when he punches it is hilarious. And when he rants about people complaining about the "turbo" badging.

I hope he was wearing his brown underwear.