Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Hey this is Elizabeth Bathory and today on my channel I’ll be showing you a great de-aging method!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine if the Marquis of Sade had an insta or snap

There's probably like a thousand people on Instagram that are this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Donatien-Alphonse hooks up with sister-in-law Anne-Prospère, lady of the castle!

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kitfox88 posted:

Hey this is Elizabeth Bathory and today on my channel I’ll be showing you a great de-aging method!

Does peter thiel have a youtube

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Look at this anti-science idiot. Every one of my peers here in medical school knows that black bile of the spleen is the cause of pain and depression, and requires blood to counteract!
Everyone knows all ailments are caused by too much blood. There is only one verified treatment for that.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T3D6Ecs7VhQ

Varkk has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Dec 2, 2019

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imagine if the Marquis of Sade had an insta or snap

There are whole-rear end networks of private instagrams that post either self-harm or torture pics/vids. They cheer each other on, or critique that the wounds didn’t look deep enough this time, and neither Instagram nor authorities seem to see it as A Problem.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I ask for an artificial daisy in the top of second row, leftmost?

After many minutes of hard work...

All dolled up https://imgur.com/gallery/8Nj0iaK

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest difference was free time, really. People busy just surviving don't have time to come up with knowledge.

Ok but that's not true

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah same. Power drill to the temple seems reasonable sometimes from them. One thing that I found helpful in addition to the standard stuff was a back massager on high right against the temple. No idea why it helped but it at least made it hurt less. :iiam:

Something something muscle spasms something something tenseness

Crappy credible looking article on cervicogenic headaches

National Health Service (UK) article on tension headaches

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Dec 4, 2019

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
One of my favorite ancient medicine thingies is this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Smith_Papyrus

It's a literal medical journal of common injuries and diseases from their lives. It even includes detailed surgical procedures.

It really gives a great impression of "holy poo poo humans are smart when we put our heads together and pay attention"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I'm talking long before that. Granted there is also evidence that hunter-gatherers generally didn't work 40 hour weeks typically. In either case the snag is the laborious process of making paper and having a place to keep all of it. Books being cheap enough for everybody to be literate is a very new thing that really does require manufacturing. The printing press really was a revolutionary invention. As stuff to write on became cheaper universal education became possible.

In the case of hunter-gatherers they generally traveled light as they didn't stay put. Can't really build a school or a library if you never stay anywhere.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
The measles outbreak in Samoa has become so devastating that the government has ordered all private business to shut down for two days, and unvaccinated families have been instructed to hang a red cloth outside their house to let people know.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/117958394/samoa-measles-outbreak-mass-vaccinations-underway

Possibly the worst part is that vaccination rates in Samoa dropped dramatically in 2018 after undertrained nurses killed two babies in a row by injecting them with vaccines that had been mixed with anaesthetic instead of purified water https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/117952035/nurses-fatal-vaccination-error-in-samoa-was-against-parents-wishes

slinkimalinki has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Dec 5, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

slinkimalinki posted:

The measles outbreak in Samoa has become so devastating that the government has ordered all private business to shut down for two days, and unvaccinated families have been instructed to hang a red cloth outside their house to let people know.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/117958394/samoa-measles-outbreak-mass-vaccinations-underway

As messed up as the Samoa situation is they at least seem to be doing something about it which is so much more than the rest of the world is doing about existential crises.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Inceltown posted:

As messed up as the Samoa situation is they at least seem to be doing something about it which is so much more than the rest of the world is doing about existential crises.

Agreed. It's just incredibly loving sad that it's so bad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

a mysterious cloak posted:

After many minutes of hard work...

All dolled up https://imgur.com/gallery/8Nj0iaK

That's adorable. Thank you for your sacrifice.

You remember America's most prolific serial killer, Henry Lee Lucas? He was lying through his teeth. He couldn't possibly have committed most of the murders he confessed to. Sure was convenient for a lot of detectives who were credulous and/or wanted to cross off some of their unsolved cases.

quote:

In the mid-1980s, Henry Lee Lucas was a star – at least in the context of America’s exploding fascination with serial killers. The subject of anxious news features and four feature films, Lucas confessed to murdering hundreds of people – at first 100, then 200, then about 600. An odd-jobs drifter with three teeth and a lazy eye, Lucas would recall, often on camera, precise and grisly details about each victim. Police officers from across the country interviewed him for more than 3,000 murder cases, to much fanfare; at least 200 cases were attributed to him, closing them to further investigation and making Lucas the country’s most prolific serial killer.

Except that it was all a lie, one spun through a toxic brew of people-pleasing, power, and convenience on the part of law enforcement, and documented in the Netflix series The Confession Killer, directed by Taki Oldham and Robert Kenner. Over the course of five 45-minute episodes, the series illustrates how the Lucas story spiraled from a by-the-book murder case – the killings of his housemate, Kate Rich, and girlfriend, Becky Powell, in Texas – into a media frenzy in which Lucas and his handlers, the Texas Rangers (a statewide investigative unit with the most Texas of uniforms) enabled confessions which shut down numerous departments’ botched or incomplete investigations.
I definitely want to watch this.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Looking forward to watching that. His story is pretty much every detective who ever heard his name trying to pawn off some unsolved case on a guy who'll confess to whatever so long as they take him out to get a cheeseburger while they walk him through what he needs to confess to.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There's also the interesting side trek into the Hand of Death satanic cult that he spun a whole tale about. Which I believe led to some cops doing a big search of a section of the Everglades to find the assassin training camp and busting some of the unluckiest drug smugglers in history.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There's also the interesting side trek into the Hand of Death satanic cult that he spun a whole tale about. Which I believe led to some cops doing a big search of a section of the Everglades to find the assassin training camp and busting some of the unluckiest drug smugglers in history.

Wanna watch a dark comedy about that, it sounds hilarious.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

Wanna watch a dark comedy about that, it sounds hilarious.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil but about some redneck stock car drivers smuggling drugs to fund their racing habit.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Azathoth posted:

Looking forward to watching that. His story is pretty much every detective who ever heard his name trying to pawn off some unsolved case on a guy who'll confess to whatever so long as they take him out to get a cheeseburger while they walk him through what he needs to confess to.

IIRC there's phone recordings of Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole just making up their story together about the Satanic Cult and poo poo. Just supremely lazy police work.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Dec 6, 2019

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm talking long before that. Granted there is also evidence that hunter-gatherers generally didn't work 40 hour weeks typically. In either case the snag is the laborious process of making paper and having a place to keep all of it. Books being cheap enough for everybody to be literate is a very new thing that really does require manufacturing. The printing press really was a revolutionary invention. As stuff to write on became cheaper universal education became possible.

In the case of hunter-gatherers they generally traveled light as they didn't stay put. Can't really build a school or a library if you never stay anywhere.

You're completely discounting the entire concept of oral histories, but that's understandable because Western Science and History has traditionally completely discounted the entire concept of oral histories and it's only in the last like 10 years that we started to realize that actually oral histories can be very accurate and informative if you understand how to understand them. Think about how the native Canadians had all that information about the terror and Erebus, or all of the information that we are currently getting from examining the oral history is transmitted by native Australians

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Acute Grill posted:

IIRC there's phone recordings of Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole just making up their story together about the Satanic Cult and poo poo. Just supremely lazy police work.

Thing is, it's not lazy. Most of the investigators knew exactly what they were doing: closing cases they couldn't easily solve by pinning it on the Satanic Drifter Serial Killers so they personally look good. Investigators kept doing it long after it was clear even outside law enforcement that Lucas was full of poo poo.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Here's Texas Monthly's contemporary article on the matter: "The Henry Lee Lucas Show" https://books.google.com/books?id=x...nepage&q&f=true

Of course they still made sure to pin a final case to him in 2008 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Adam_Walsh

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't O'Toole kill John Walsh's kid?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Azathoth posted:

Thing is, it's not lazy. Most of the investigators knew exactly what they were doing: closing cases they couldn't easily solve by pinning it on the Satanic Drifter Serial Killers so they personally look good. Investigators kept doing it long after it was clear even outside law enforcement that Lucas was full of poo poo.

"Get Confessions McGee to confess to your case so you can clear your workload" is actually supremely lazy.

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's some witnesses that put him in the area at the time but they lost the car and the machete that Toole claimed to use so they couldn't test it for DNA evidence. Walsh believed he did it, so they posthumously pinned it to Toole.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

I guess not everyone liked Lawrence of Arabia.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Solice Kirsk posted:

No. I would bet anything it wasn’t him, even though Toole was shown to have been in the area so it’s not impossible.

It makes the police’s job easier to have a closed case, and John Walsh likes that answer, but.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

AlbieQuirky posted:

No. I would bet anything it wasn’t him, even though Toole was shown to have been in the area so it’s not impossible.

It makes the police’s job easier to have a closed case, and John Walsh likes that answer, but.

I get it though, because if Toole isn't the answer then the answer is "we don't loving know and we probably never will". At least with Toole Walsh gets some kind of closure for whatever that's worth.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

InediblePenguin posted:

You're completely discounting the entire concept of oral histories, but that's understandable because Western Science and History has traditionally completely discounted the entire concept of oral histories and it's only in the last like 10 years that we started to realize that actually oral histories can be very accurate and informative if you understand how to understand them. Think about how the native Canadians had all that information about the terror and Erebus, or all of the information that we are currently getting from examining the oral history is transmitted by native Australians

My favorite is the one about Russian settlers dying because they didn't understand the concept of cold rain and therefore died from hypothermia which is an obvious statement about how loving dumb and unprepared Native Americans saw European colonizers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Russians... didn't know about cold?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Semi-cold. Cold enough for freezing death, not necessarily snow? I don't know, just guessing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I can see how maybe they were not very used to rain at all because they were from an area that was almost always cold enough for it to turn to snow. So they see rain and they think "oh this is fine, it means it's too warm to freeze!" and didn't think about what happens when you get wet in cold temperatures even if it's not below freezing.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Or maybe the native americans are as susceptible to making up dumb poo poo about those silly foreigners as everyone else

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You are looking at it too literally. The way I view it is that its a general statement at the foolishness and illprepared nature of the colonists in various situations, often leading to their death. The nationality and exact scenario isn't that important.

Its funny and my favorite because out of the Spanish, British, and Russian colonists the Russians got picked for that exact scenario, likely because they were the predominat colonizers in that area at the time.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

My favorite is the one about Russian settlers dying because they didn't understand the concept of cold rain and therefore died from hypothermia which is an obvious statement about how loving dumb and unprepared Native Americans saw European colonizers.

I remember reading in an article about the indigenous people of America that basically the first non-leaky house the settlers had encountered was built by the Native Americans. Like they had such a complete lack of knowledge that they didn't know how to build houses that were dry.

Of course this is like third hand information by the time it reaches you, dear reader. So maybe mix in some salt to taste.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"What are houses?" asks the European settlers.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
It's in 1491 which I started reading yesterday. The woven tent type things to locals lived in were more waterproof than English houses made of pig poo poo and straw

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

alexandriao posted:

I remember reading in an article about the indigenous people of America that basically the first non-leaky house the settlers had encountered was built by the Native Americans. Like they had such a complete lack of knowledge that they didn't know how to build houses that were dry.

Of course this is like third hand information by the time it reaches you, dear reader. So maybe mix in some salt to taste.

For the prairie farmer settlers, I'll buy it. At least the only dry houses they'd seen since leaving the last decent sized settlement. It's easy to forget just how few people were around and how skilled craftsmen, like the kind who can build a watertight house, are less likely to need to emigrate in the first place, and then less likely to leave the population centers if they do.

There was a particularly unfortunate incident where a bunch of impoverished fisherfolk and laborers, none of whom had ever even worked on a farm, let alone ran one, from Connemara showed up in central Minnesota at the urging of the local Catholic bishop, who was himself born in Ireland.

They showed up in June, way too late to plant anything, and since many arrived without anything more than the clothes on their backs, they were in serious danger of starving to death during what would be one of the worst winters in memory. The local Freemasons organized everyone nearby to get them through the winter. You can look up Bishop Ireland's Connemara Experiment if you want to know more.

A lot of settlers arrived in this condition (these folks were fleeing the potato famine and were still showing the effects when they got to Chicago) and then built what they could with the materials they could scavenge or harvest, and more than a few were probably not the handiest with a hammer and saw.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

From 1491. Can't copy and paste for some reason.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

this is more that the settlers probably lacked immediate construction experience, being a very small group of people, and struggled to build useful shelter out of local materials using local tools. if you're used to building with daub, with boards, with nails, then using bark strips to lash poles for a thatched hut is ancient and lost technology. but the old method of building is far more practical from a time and material standpoint

plus consider that a small group of colonists have a much smaller pool of human knowledge than the current residents, who if they are somehow lacking a person who can direct the labor necessary to build a longhouse, could just call up someone's second cousin from the next village over to visit for a while and help throw up some new housing. and a lot of these colonial expeditions were terribly planned

quote:

The Darien scheme was an unsuccessful attempt by the Kingdom of Scotland to become a world trading state by establishing a colony called "Caledonia" on the Isthmus of Panama on the Gulf of Darién in the late 1690s. The aim was for the colony to have an overland route that connected the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. From its contemporary time to the present day, claims have been made that the undertaking was beset by poor planning and provisioning, divided leadership, a lack of demand for trade goods particularly caused by an English trade blockade, devastating epidemics of disease, collusion between the English East India Company and the English government to frustrate it, and a failure to anticipate the Spanish Empire's military response. It was finally abandoned in March 1700 after a siege by Spanish forces, which also blockaded the harbour.

As the Company of Scotland was backed by approximately 20% of all the money circulating in Scotland, its failure left the entire Lowlands in substantial financial ruin and was an important factor in weakening their resistance to the Act of Union (completed in 1707). The land where the Darien colony was built, in the modern province of Guna Yala, is virtually uninhabited today.

quote:

Agriculture proved difficult and the local Indians, though hostile to Spain, were unwilling to trade for the combs and other trinkets offered by the colonists. Most serious was the almost total failure to sell any goods to the few passing traders who put into the bay. With the onset of summer the following year, malaria and fever led to many deaths. Eventually, the mortality rate rose to ten settlers a day. Local Indians brought gifts of fruit and plantains, but these were appropriated by the leaders and sailors, who mostly remained on board ships. The only luck the settlers had was in giant turtle hunting, but fewer and fewer men were fit enough for such strenuous work. The situation was exacerbated by the lack of food, mainly due to a high rate of spoilage caused by improper stowing. At the same time, King William instructed the Dutch and English colonies in America not to supply the Scots' settlement, so as not to incur the wrath of the Spanish Empire. The only reward the council had to give was alcohol, and drunkenness became common, even though it sped the deaths of men already weakened by dysentery, fever and the rotting, worm-infested food.

turns out building heavy timber structures in a tropical climate is a real fuckin bad idea!

Continuity RCP posted:

From 1491. Can't copy and paste for some reason.

that's a bit of editorializing - 1491 is a fine book but many rural europeans would have lived in thatch roofed structures as well. the failure here is more lack of specific knowledge among the colonists about how to build sturdy homes rather than european construction techniques being deficient (if not costlier and more difficult for local weather and colonial infrastructure)

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Dec 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
For anyone interested in the ongoing colonial discussion, I have to recommend a recent book called The Gulf as well. There too you can read about how Spanish colonists stumbled upon a paradise of fresh streams, estuaries, abundant shellfish and fish, birds, and the civilizations that had been tending the area for centuries prior... and simply could not figure out how to survive without constantly wrecking their ships, importing more food from Spain, and killing everyone present who might show them a better way.

Then if you keep reading the book you can learn about how we're still loving the Gulf 500 years later and be truly unnerved.