Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had good luck with sound brokerage as well. I use the port of Long Beach and sound was able to take care of all the customs stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

https://www.megazip.net/ is currently having a 20% off Black Friday sale, which is pretty....unique, considering that they aren't in the USA and so shouldn't care about US Thanksgiving but oh well!

I just dropped close to $2,000 bucks on various parts from brakes to trim on a couple of my vehicles. I need the parts anyway, might as well spend as little money as possible. Also found out that KZ Prados share front brake calipers with 4Runners :toot:

Coupon code is BF2019 in case you don't spot it in the header :v:

EDIT

The 20% off is also off shipping!

Anyone have feedback on megazip? Only negative reviews on IH8Mud, but seemed like it was just about parts showing up that they didn’t really have.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anyone have feedback on megazip? Only negative reviews on IH8Mud, but seemed like it was just about parts showing up that they didn’t really have.

I do! My friend in town who I got into this game just got “our” first purchase from mega zip and it was 5 stars all the way. Got parts for a Prado. Brand new rear tire carrier, the rubber mounts and hardware for the fender flares and an assortment of bits and pieces. Total with shipping was $270 (50 shipping just for the tire carrier) and all parts are OEM Toyota. So based on that if they have what you are looking for go for it. Now the clutch I’m looking for is way too expensive there so I am not ordering but if I found something I needed at a good price I would not hesitate to order from them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I bought a bunch of small parts for my AE86 from them. Other than the aforementioned issue of parts being listed in stock by their sources that are not actually in stock - which, when it happened, they advised me of, and apologized, stating that those parts would subsequently be marked NLA, which they were - I had a very pleasant experience.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

I bought a bunch of small parts for my AE86 from them. Other than the aforementioned issue of parts being listed in stock by their sources that are not actually in stock - which, when it happened, they advised me of, and apologized, stating that those parts would subsequently be marked NLA, which they were - I had a very pleasant experience.

Every parts place does this, I'm responsible for the marking of "no longer available" on a significant number of parts relating to Aero Tune Suzuki Everys, Corolla IIs and Daihatsu Ruggers.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If your preferred customs broker has a national license they can file for any port in the US. The advantage of getting one local to a given port is the probably know the inspectors and can fix things more easily if things go awry. Most brokers know brokers in other ports, though. It's not a huge community.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Last question - Do they adjust tour shipping cost based on what they can actually ship? One of the items is huge so costs a bit, don’t want to pay the extra price if it’s not actually going to be shipped.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Last question - Do they adjust tour shipping cost based on what they can actually ship? One of the items is huge so costs a bit, don’t want to pay the extra price if it’s not actually going to be shipped.

They straight up tell you if a part is no longer available and will refund the money to your account, and back to Paypal if you request it. My $2000~ shopping spree is down to 1200 now because lots of parts were no longer available. The order isn't shipped until they get all the parts.
It goes like this:

You order part -> Megazip orders parts from suppliers -> (supplier tells them to get bent the part isn't even real -> Megazip tells you "sorry that part is no longer available rip) -> suppliers ship the parts to Megazip -> they put the package together and send it to you

Parts in parentheses only happen if the part you want is no longer available. They don't just shotgun parts to you, its much more methodical.

It's no HiAce but

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
That person must have done a lot of patrolling if it has 150,000kms.

But it's still very cool.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I saw that yesterday, first "fire car" I have seen listed! I'd have been bidding but too many miles for me (I'm a low mile whore)

Did see a Hi Ace fire van a few weeks ago that was 4WD and AC! Which is rare as poo poo on a fire vehicle but the inside in the back was all padded and stuff like an ambulance wasn't what I was looking for.

I have SO MANY vehicles coming in and here already, I have to start a "brand" or a "presence" online to start marketing these outside of my area. Stupid eBay charges $50 a week to list. If anyone has any ideas let me know!

My Hi Ace camper and 2 more skylines will be in USA tomorrow.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

everdave posted:

I saw that yesterday, first "fire car" I have seen listed! I'd have been bidding but too many miles for me (I'm a low mile whore)

Did see a Hi Ace fire van a few weeks ago that was 4WD and AC! Which is rare as poo poo on a fire vehicle but the inside in the back was all padded and stuff like an ambulance wasn't what I was looking for.

I have SO MANY vehicles coming in and here already, I have to start a "brand" or a "presence" online to start marketing these outside of my area. Stupid eBay charges $50 a week to list. If anyone has any ideas let me know!

My Hi Ace camper and 2 more skylines will be in USA tomorrow.

I'm being serious when I suggest an Instagram profile with all the hashtags.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I was thinking a twitter thing could work (eventually unless you already have a following cultivated) as a secondary source of buyers. Anything cool would hopefully get retweets for a wider audience. Instagram seems like the same idea where you can hopefully cultivate an audience that has self selected as interested.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I've only used twitter to retweet stuff to earn hotel points. I think I am going to think up a name/handle and start a dedicated Insta/Twitter, I see the handle / guy Vans From Japan and he gets deposits on his stuff before they are even here or ready to sell! And he is a nice guy has answered some questions for me about my Lite Ace.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Was thinking about this a little, my experience is with indie gamedev, but here are some other things that could work, especially in combination with twitter/insta and each other. Each part would link to all the others to encourage people getting on board in more than one way.

• youtube/twitch if you are willing to do a few hours a week talking about cars or showing how tos or something; an easy one would be shopping japanese auctions so people can watch vicariously (you might lose a few potential customers by showing them the inside track but plenty of people aren't going to want to deal with importing)
  • patreon if you have some kind of tips or tutorials; more as a way to keep people engaged than to actually make money (could just be a blog though)
  • a discord for people that like these types of cars
  • a blog w/ tech tips or reviews or something, probably just part of your website but it's a good way to drive traffic from people doing searches and help google think you are an information resource (in addition to being a store)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

taqueso posted:

Was thinking about this a little, my experience is with indie gamedev, but here are some other things that could work, especially in combination with twitter/insta and each other. Each part would link to all the others to encourage people getting on board in more than one way.

• youtube/twitch if you are willing to do a few hours a week talking about cars or showing how tos or something; an easy one would be shopping japanese auctions so people can watch vicariously (you might lose a few potential customers by showing them the inside track but plenty of people aren't going to want to deal with importing)
  • patreon if you have some kind of tips or tutorials; more as a way to keep people engaged than to actually make money (could just be a blog though)
  • a discord for people that like these types of cars
  • a blog w/ tech tips or reviews or something, probably just part of your website but it's a good way to drive traffic from people doing searches and help google think you are an information resource (in addition to being a store)

Yeah I want/need to be on youtube...showing cool cars and stuff it is just the barrier of putting yourself out there...but I agree need to that if for nothing else to show the vehicles

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also sell stuff/list stuff for sale on facebook

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

They straight up tell you if a part is no longer available and will refund the money to your account, and back to Paypal if you request it. My $2000~ shopping spree is down to 1200 now because lots of parts were no longer available. The order isn't shipped until they get all the parts.
It goes like this:

You order part -> Megazip orders parts from suppliers -> (supplier tells them to get bent the part isn't even real -> Megazip tells you "sorry that part is no longer available rip) -> suppliers ship the parts to Megazip -> they put the package together and send it to you

Parts in parentheses only happen if the part you want is no longer available. They don't just shotgun parts to you, its much more methodical.

It's no HiAce but

I don't know if it's nostalgia but I love the styling of this era of Toyota.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Just giving a poo poo, that means a lot more in this niche than just selling cars. These vehicles people are buying because they want to have them, be seen in them, love them, etc. It's completely and 100% an emotional purchase.

As Limerence is my wife and I, and we tend to go for manual transmissions, our market is already kinda built up. Since I seem to be able to amass knowledge on trim levels and model year changes and all that I seem a lot more knowledgeable than I am. My wife being a :siren: AN ATTRACTIVE WOMAN :siren: that helps a ton with just getting attention, and she doesn't even post herself or gets sexy or whatever either, her being a woman that likes manual transmissions and JDM and Land Cruisers and all of that, while also being undeniably girly and feminine, drives a lot of easy interest. We've sold stuff because of Instagram, but we've sold a significant number of our cars because I did a long-rear end YouTube video on them. Specifically both Ruggers, a Land Cruiser and an AZ-1. Takes a while to make and edit but it also has a long 'tail' of interest and drives traffic even though I don't do it 'correct'. I also refuse to do the influencer garbage sell out poo poo, it isn't needed and I'd hate myself.

Re: taking deposits:
We've done this only a couple of times, but you open yourself up to so much headache if you don't have it all worked out contractually.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The guy who bought my hiace put down 10% the moment he saw it, without even driving it, and weeks before I had the title.

Its definitely a little more headache but he literally was begging me to take a deposit so someone else wouldn't snipe it out from under him. I definitely had a deposit contract written up but given that I didn't have the title yet it was something that he or I could have gotten out of had we really wanted to.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Just giving a poo poo, that means a lot more in this niche than just selling cars. These vehicles people are buying because they want to have them, be seen in them, love them, etc. It's completely and 100% an emotional purchase.

As Limerence is my wife and I, and we tend to go for manual transmissions, our market is already kinda built up. Since I seem to be able to amass knowledge on trim levels and model year changes and all that I seem a lot more knowledgeable than I am. My wife being a :siren: AN ATTRACTIVE WOMAN :siren: that helps a ton with just getting attention, and she doesn't even post herself or gets sexy or whatever either, her being a woman that likes manual transmissions and JDM and Land Cruisers and all of that, while also being undeniably girly and feminine, drives a lot of easy interest. We've sold stuff because of Instagram, but we've sold a significant number of our cars because I did a long-rear end YouTube video on them. Specifically both Ruggers, a Land Cruiser and an AZ-1. Takes a while to make and edit but it also has a long 'tail' of interest and drives traffic even though I don't do it 'correct'. I also refuse to do the influencer garbage sell out poo poo, it isn't needed and I'd hate myself.

Re: taking deposits:
We've done this only a couple of times, but you open yourself up to so much headache if you don't have it all worked out contractually.

I hear ya and I like your style, you know I follow ya'll over there

I think my main thing I need to do is a dedicated Insta and just do a youtube vid on each vehicle. My sales so far have been from eBay and Facebook marketplace

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
I saw my first Jimny in the wild yesterday and I think I'm in love. I thought it was a Suzuki Samurai originally but then i saw just how tiny it was. I require more Japanese cars.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

sirr0bin posted:

I saw my first Jimny in the wild yesterday and I think I'm in love. I thought it was a Suzuki Samurai originally but then i saw just how tiny it was. I require more Japanese cars.

Kaker has an 88 Delica that is MINTY FRESH and I dream about owning it. Alas, it's just not in the cards right now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

sirr0bin posted:

I am asking about a 86 and 95 Jimmy tonight!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I am asking about a 86 and 95 Jimmy tonight!

I know you are extremely cavalier about your third party inspections but it's too late for that 86 Jimny for me, I asked about it. Looks pretty good. That 95 Jimny, I suspect, is the same one I also asked about but the sheet says the frame is bent and that is NO GOOD.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I know you are extremely cavalier about your third party inspections but it's too late for that 86 Jimny for me, I asked about it. Looks pretty good. That 95 Jimny, I suspect, is the same one I also asked about but the sheet says the frame is bent and that is NO GOOD.

The low mile white 86? Dang I’m not risking rust on that, sheet is clean though. And the 95 silver with the roof rack has a bent frame? I’ll see what Mat says later as a test but he’s been pretty good/nice lately now that I’m in 20 car purchase territory

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-hpl2Q0xKZf9vuV.htm -1112- 5mt, ac, warranty booklet, mirrors scratches paint peeling, grill peeling, aftermarket wheels scratches, small chips in windshield, undercarriage surface rust and corrosion, interior dirty, carpets dirty, seats dirty worn and tears, trim dirty and tears, steering wheel worn, dashboard glue remains, other dents scratches paint peeling

Yoshi posted:

I did not know such a vehicle existed...

Inspection Report posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-hpl2Q0xKZf9vuV.htm -1112- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, oil pan area slightly oily, tires slightly cracked, spare cracked and old, floor/suspension/undercarraige surface rust, some corrosion on muffler, boots ok, body as is in diagram, one 5mm crack in windshield near right wiper unrepaired, rear center seat 2cm tear, seats dirty, dashboard ok, ceiling liner stains, left rear door trim 4 1.5cm tears, ac ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamp ok, lights ok, wipers ok, power steering ok, windows ok, mirrors ok

Ever heard of these? 1995 Nissan Rasheen, a Pikes-like body on top of a B14 Sunny/Sentra with some Pulsar AWD gear underneath. Feb of 1995 manufacture date which means by the time it hits Jacksonville it will be legal to enter the country. I doubt anyone else is really looking at these, and I am almost certain this will be the first 5 speed Rasheen in the USA if not the first legal one* at all. 106k total km, so around 66k miles. Wife has wanted one of these ever since we learned they existed about a year ago, and I've been lightly hunting as we inched closer to 1995 legality. There are not many 5 speeds in the Rasheen zone. We won this for 80,000 yen. $734.72 as of this post.

*Back in 2008 Truth About Cars posted about one for sale in Florida (lol of course) that was very obviously not legal to be here in the USA. It was an automatic though which means it double doesn't count.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 6, 2019

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Never heard of that at all but it looks rad as gently caress. Walking a very fine line between wagon and SUV.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I discovered this Isuzu diesel engine service video from the '80s. It's awesome.

https://youtu.be/JrYyqatCQdo

Also that rasheen is p cool.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Great score on the Rasheen!

Mat mentioned the Ben frame but didn’t try to dissuade me from bidding. I didn’t getting translation in time to even consider the 86. Also asked about the Sera up but decided I couldn’t stand the color (like brown mustard gold)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw one of those Rasheens in Tokyo on my first visit and had to walk back to make sure I really did see it.

There’s nothing quite like them even though they are terrible B14 platform garbage. I would still rock it here until the first problems develop.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Great score on the Rasheen!

Mat mentioned the Ben frame but didn’t try to dissuade me from bidding. I didn’t getting translation in time to even consider the 86. Also asked about the Sera up but decided I couldn’t stand the color (like brown mustard gold)

If you can't stand that color on the Sera then you can't stand Seras since most of them have that color, it's factory.

I thought about that too but automatic, even if it does have the "super live sound" option.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Was curious, it's about 9.5 in / 24cm shorter in length than an original Forester, 5.3in / 13.5cm shorter in height, and 0.6in / 1.5cm narrower, per Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Rasheen#/media/File:1997-2000_NISSAN_Rasheen.jpg

The refresh styling is quite funky.

edit: also is B14 really garbage? I thought they were okay cars.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I wasn't expecting to see a RHD Acty in traffic in the wilds of rural Ohio, but I did.

(Silverado for scale)

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I have a coworker who has a Daihatsu RHD, but he it only drives around on his farm. It's newer than 1995. Not sure how he got it, but he never takes it on the highway regardless.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

I have a coworker who has a Daihatsu RHD, but he it only drives around on his farm. It's newer than 1995. Not sure how he got it, but he never takes it on the highway regardless.

There are provisions to import things newer that 25 years old, and always in that sort of capacity. Federally they are meant for off-road use only, then each state has rules about what that means for what roads they are allowed on. All interstates are no, but in some states out west you can drive it everywhere *besides* interstates, others, like Florida, only allows you on roads with 35 mph or lower speed limits. Sometimes they require those orange triangles too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Who wants a cheap Autozam? https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2HnFHoV6YebAW22.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dagen H posted:

I wasn't expecting to see a RHD Acty in traffic in the wilds of rural Ohio, but I did.

(Silverado for scale)

When'd Silverados grow blue ovals? :P

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

wolrah posted:

When'd Silverados grow blue ovals? :P

:downs:

In my defense, that truck wasn't my focus.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
hello, i posted about this in the dumb questions thread but it was suggested i ask here:
do any of you have experience with vehicle shipping companies shipping within the continental US? im trying to get info about shipping a vehicle from colorado to virginia and i was looking for suggestions on what companies to use or avoid for this purpose, as im aware it can be quite pernicious. from my few hours of research ive found that "ship a car direct," "amerifreight," and "sherpa auto transport" are some of the more consistently higher-rated options for this, but i would appreciate further input on this if you guys can provide it.
thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I'd also like to hear about experiences with this. The whole market seems so shady.