Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They correctly guessed that I would rather woodshed than actually write anything, but then they said my preferred color is "champagne" and I would not play a champagne guitar if you paid me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I like how they just cycle through the available colors and rewrite the vague descriptions for each, just like actual horoscopes. Do they need to sell Candy Apple Red a lot because comes up three times: bold enough for the Aries, but refined and classic enough to be a second tier option for Taurus, but also "speaks volumes" for the Cancer who doesn't want to "outwardly command attention." Feels like something that should have been dreamt up at the height of 1970s "hey baby what's your sign?" mania.

And of course not super accurate to me either. I don't mind a bright red guitar, but I'd maybe opt for orange, green, or blue first. Not that I have a choice really I'm left handed, and drat glad mine is some kind of burgundy at least.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm a Taurus and 80% of my guitars are seafoam green.

Article is trash

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Malaria posted:

I'm a Taurus and 80% of my guitars are seafoam green.

Article is trash

as a taurus who also buys the shittiest, ugliest guitars i can get my hands on, the “you care about quality” bit made me wonder if they farmed this article out to gibson or something

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As a Capricorn, the insinuation that I'm some kind of sunburst bloozdad is annoying.

All my guitars are black dammit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leo: Sunburst posted:

Stylish and creatively free, you'll only play a guitar that's as big as you are. Born when the sun was closest to the Earth, at the peak of summer - you're used to the spotlight. Sporting a vibrant colored guitar, with a Sunburst finish radiates confidence and charisma. Your guitar is your favorite accessory, and you take it with you whenever you can. Bent on being authentic, you more than anyone need to feel at one with your guitar.
This is all true! I only own one sunburst guitar, though. :(

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wark Say posted:

This is all true! I only own one sunburst guitar, though. :(

So far

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Turbinosamente posted:

I like how they just cycle through the available colors and rewrite the vague descriptions for each, just like actual horoscopes. Do they need to sell Candy Apple Red a lot because comes up three times: bold enough for the Aries, but refined and classic enough to be a second tier option for Taurus, but also "speaks volumes" for the Cancer who doesn't want to "outwardly command attention." Feels like something that should have been dreamt up at the height of 1970s "hey baby what's your sign?" mania.

And of course not super accurate to me either. I don't mind a bright red guitar, but I'd maybe opt for orange, green, or blue first. Not that I have a choice really I'm left handed, and drat glad mine is some kind of burgundy at least.

To be fair, turquoise is the birth stone for the month of December, which coincides with the majority of Sagittarius. None of my guitars are the same color, but my favorite is a translucent wine red Epi Les Paul, so whatevs.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

(before clicking link)

I guarantee they're going to have some horseshit about me being a frontperson type, which I'm not, with a color I absolutely hate.

(checking)

Yyyyyyyyyyyep. Honestly, the only way I'm ever playing a ______burst is if I'm getting it for free. Can't stand that look , it's blueslawyer nonsense.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
So this popped up in my suggestions :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYmI_Wvsf70

As a young guitar player I was into Surfing with the Alien, it was mind blowing on a technical level, I was way more into Slayer, but still appreciated the ol' Satch. That was about the only album of his I got into, so watching this 15 years later, and seeing this band he put together I was intrigued. Nathan East is a bad rear end, Manu Katche is killer, so I watched this video. Then I got to 15:40ish when Satch is bitching about the band not playing what he wanted, and arguing with the producer. So I check out the final version, and the drums are straight the same beat the whole song, and I was like wtf happened? Cue up 48:53 and here is a new band, playing some simple poo poo and letting Satch jerk off by himself. The line, " If I make a really great demo, then I can never let go of it, when I come into the studio I'm always trying to redo the demo, and that's a real problem." I find this all the time in the studio with chumps I work with that just wanna be the star, and never let anyone do anything creative, music always suffers. Stupid music poo poo indeed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Error 404 posted:

As a Capricorn, the insinuation that I'm some kind of sunburst bloozdad is annoying.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

My guitars are all black except the one I covered in duct tape to make blacker. Starsign: try-hard.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Pokey Araya posted:

So this popped up in my suggestions :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYmI_Wvsf70

As a young guitar player I was into Surfing with the Alien, it was mind blowing on a technical level, I was way more into Slayer, but still appreciated the ol' Satch. That was about the only album of his I got into, so watching this 15 years later, and seeing this band he put together I was intrigued. Nathan East is a bad rear end, Manu Katche is killer, so I watched this video.

I've never been a great fan, but it seems a bit wrong for a genius player like Satch to be palling around with dinosaurs like Glyn Johns and Andy Fairweather Low. I guess that's what you did when there was plenty of record company money around.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I'm not even sure what colour my sign is supposed to be. It just links to the homepage and I can't be bothered trying to find it from there. Canary diamond, so yellow maybe?

I also had a giggle at the fact this woman doesn't seem to realise that the Southern Hemisphere exists and that Capricorns are born in the summer here.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Error 404 posted:

All my guitars are black

Good album title

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, this is bullshit. I'm no Scorpio. :colbert:

Error 404 posted:

:hfive:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I mean the bluesdad poo poo that annoyed me was mostly the "capricorns want the quality style and status blah blah"

gently caress that, I've never paid more than 400 bux for a guitar in my life, and I don't have pictures but my SMS is the used Jackson Dinky that was my first guitar that I "modified" (read: hosed up hilariously, repeatedly, while experimenting with whatever my cracked out high school self thought would be cool)

That fuckin guitar had the finish sanded off the back and sides down to the natural wood (the black finish was left on the front face) a bevel carved into the lower cutaway, the floyd rose had a wood block glued into the cavity and a normal nut glued onto where the locking nut used to be (again, first guitar and gently caress floyd roses) It had 1 bass string and 3 guitar strings.

That monster was dumb and ugly and I loved it to literal pieces.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Error 404 posted:

As a libra, my guitars are all black too but I'm too indecisive to confront you about it. Better weep into a $2000 shell-pink bass about it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Mine are all white and up my rear end. I think I'm doing this wrong.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

hexwren posted:

(before clicking link)

I guarantee they're going to have some horseshit about me being a frontperson type, which I'm not, with a color I absolutely hate.

(checking)

Yyyyyyyyyyyep. Honestly, the only way I'm ever playing a ______burst is if I'm getting it for free. Can't stand that look , it's blueslawyer nonsense.

Haha, same here. I clicked on the link, and laughed that it gave me the guitar finish I hate.

I have two black guitars, an eggshell white guitar, a transparent and glossy red guitar, an orange guitar, and a glittery purple guitar that's now covered in stickers. I love weird guitar finishes, flashy finishes and traditional plain finishes.

The only two finishes you'd have to pay me to have on a guitar I'm seen with in public are: 1. sunburst and 2. relic'd.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
guitarfetish has some okay stuff for decent prices but they are seriously up their own rear end with the product descriptions

with apologies to dr faustus for the aneurysm he's gonna get from the first paragraph

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

The Muppets On PCP posted:

guitarfetish has some okay stuff for decent prices but they are seriously up their own rear end with the product descriptions

with apologies to dr faustus for the aneurysm he's gonna get from the first paragraph

Stupid Music poo poo II: Hardware? You want Hardware?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I can't fault them for going peak boomer blues dad when selling Earl Slick branded stuff. They know their audience with these ugly shitguitars.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I kinda want one to put in B standard as I don't have a Floyd guitar in that tuning

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I feel like unsealed wood guitar is probably a bad idea?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Thermos H Christ posted:

For neck/fretboard woods it's often fine, especially if it's rosewood for both. Rosewood is harder than maple but more porous, and it's got it's own oils. Thus, applying a sealer isn't necessary for that setup.

It's super nice to play too, very smooth. PRS, EBMM, and some custom builders offer it.

But an unsealed body seems pointless to me, especially on ash. I have no idea the warping potential, but unless you're in a climate controlled area, it seems like a dumb idea?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They are sprayed with what they say is automotive paint. Who knows what that really means.
The sealer they are referring to is the thick polyester type that fender and all the other import guitars use.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

yeah if you don't want your guitar to breathe and resonate with open tone pores

Thumposaurus posted:

The sealer they are referring to is the thick polyester type that fender and all the other import guitars use.

the funny thing is all those vintage fenders were sealed with fullerplast which is basically the same poo poo as the modern prestec sealer

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 6, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
those slick guitars look like a thrift store endtable and i kind of love them

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I kinda want one to put in B standard as I don't have a Floyd guitar in that tuning

It's just a Strat trem, not a Floyd. They do offer a Les Paul with a Floyd under their Xaviere brand, though: https://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-XV555-Double-Locking-Tremolo-Carved-Top-LP-Gloss-Black_p_12685.html

Rascal_Rockhog
Dec 4, 2011

Now, that's a nice post
Any opinions on the Yamaha Revstar series? I think they look quite nice, but I've never played one.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rascal_Rockhog posted:

Any opinions on the Yamaha Revstar series? I think they look quite nice, but I've never played one.
I recorded a guitar player who uses Yamaha/Line6 guitars almost exclusively (she works for the local Yamaha music school). She uses the econo model (420 I think?) and they sound pretty good.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Those guitars with the poly finish, like the neck on my CV tele, how do they wear over time? I imagine they stay pretty constant or flake off?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Wark Say posted:

I recorded a guitar player who uses Yamaha/Line6 guitars almost exclusively (she works for the local Yamaha music school). She uses the econo model (420 I think?) and they sound pretty good.

:420:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

former glory posted:

Those guitars with the poly finish, like the neck on my CV tele, how do they wear over time? I imagine they stay pretty constant or flake off?

You won't shift it seriously without resorting to a belt sander - if it gets dinged badly it will chip rather than wear but your neck won't wear down over time like nitro. If it's too glossy you should be able to smooth it out with a light grit paper or other abrasive.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

former glory posted:

Those guitars with the poly finish, like the neck on my CV tele, how do they wear over time?

they don't

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

:(

Maybe this is stupid music poo poo, but I like the wear on my older necks. Not just the feel; it's kind of fun to look at them and visibly see mileage.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
strip the poly off and refinish it with tung oil and wax

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When I build a neck it gets finished with tru-oil.
Every other neck it's too much effort to strip it down and refinish it.
I dull down the tru-oil with 0000 steel wool but after playing for a few years the hand will polish it up and I dull it down again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

strip the poly off and refinish it with tung oil and wax

You use both? Ive used tung oil on a lot of furniture but that would be the final finish. I love the stuff, it’s so easy to use.