Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

There's already fan fiction describing exactly this, I can guarantee it.

Because you wrote it?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Mofference room
Literally lolled at that, then went directly into lolling harder when I remembered that was an actual Star Wars thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I hate that this is a canon word.

Sydin posted:

the only Jedi in the universe who wants to gently caress.
Ki Adi Mundi has like 8 wives he had to gently caress constantly otherwise his race would die out or something. How this gels with Jedi code and him being a master I don’t know but yeah. Jedi suck.

don’t doxx me tia

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Sydin posted:

The Jedi suck.

You just said they don't!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just got my tickets!! couldn't get into the laser imax screen downtown so I went for non 3d obviously. I'm excited to see this movie!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xaintrailles posted:

Because you wrote it?

Please don't miscredit works of art I put a lot of effort into that story

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope you brought booze and or drugs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Colonel Cancer posted:

I hope you brought booze and or drugs.

u wanna buy some death sticks?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

u wanna buy some death sticks?

You will give me all your death sticks for free.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

The Walrus posted:

just got my tickets!! couldn't get into the laser imax screen downtown so I went for non 3d obviously. I'm excited to see this movie!

It's nice that your mom can drive you and your friends to the theater

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished watching the last jedi. great movie. as far as I can tell only one real logical inconsistency, how did Benecio know that the resistance cruiser was launching transports?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

I just finished watching the last jedi. great movie. as far as I can tell only one real logical inconsistency, how did Benecio know that the resistance cruiser was launching transports?

Thanks a lot you just ruined TLJ

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hope space benicio is doing well out there somewhere, out of all the heroes and villains of the sequel trilogy, he in his narrow pursuit of self interest might somehow be the least repulsive

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Didn't he die? I'm like 99% sure he died. Also he looks like a character from a children tv program about pirates.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

You will give me all your death sticks for free.

Now I’m cracking up picturing how much better that scene would have been if Obi Wan had been like, “you know what? It’s been a hell of a long day and I could use a death stick right now. Thank you.” And then taken a longass drag before blowing a big cloud of smoke out his nose.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

Didn't he die? I'm like 99% sure he died. Also he looks like a character from a children tv program about pirates.

No he just leaves. Space benicio's arc was that he took advantage of a bunch of stupid people and made off with a shipload of nazi gold. Everything he said about the futility of fighting in the conflict was pretty much correct and he faced no consequences for his actions to speak of. Good character

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

juxtaposed against the mic component it was pretty spot on

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

No Mods No Masters posted:

No he just leaves. Space benicio's arc was that he took advantage of a bunch of stupid people and made off with a shipload of nazi gold. Everything he said about the futility of fighting in the conflict was pretty much correct and he faced no consequences for his actions to speak of. Good character

You know what? It really "subverted my expectations" and not in a bad way that they didn't go for the lazy cliche of Phasma saying "oh yes... you will get exactly whats coming to you" and betraying him. I was totally expecting them to.

Say what you will about the FO, they pay their contractors on time and don't go back on a deal.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

No Mods No Masters posted:

the question with benecio is whether or not he intended for them to get caught - I don't think that he did, but if he did then why was he helping rose and finn in the first place? was he just a plant? that doesn't really scan, no way they'd know anyone would go to canto bight. really makes me wonder what his backstory is that he wants to help the good guys but at the same time is willing to give himself these pithy moral justifications "they blow you up today you blow them up tomorrow" to betray them once he realizes their cause is doomed. Good character

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

The Walrus posted:

There's actually a scene before they get on the FO ship where Poe is blabbing the whole evacuation plan over space radio because he wants them to hurry. They did a close up on Benecio's listening-to-secret-plans face.

You've convinced me. Perfect film.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Now I get why this thread is rated "2"

I mainly lurk, but it's because the thread theme changes every page. Is this the Star Wars hypernerd thread where we debate who is, and who is not, sith? The film snob thread where we get deep into the errata buried deep in OT's rectum, I mean 'stroid worm? Is it the thread where we casually bitch about dumb Disney? Are we gonna riff on force sex powers? Sincere vs. ironic?

iunno

And neither do the dumbrainz movies.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
why everyone doesn't just hyperspeed ram each other:

because the movie clearly shows that lightspeed spoolups can be detected so the counter move is 'fly into lightspeed yourself to escape', this made space battles very silly so a long time ago people decided to stop trying it

edit: sorry hyperspeed not lightspeed, this is an important point for another of my hypotheses

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 5, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Every star wars thread is like this and is rated 2, except the RLM thread which is buoyed to 3 by the enjoyment of rich evans

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Why did the Death Star have such terrible point defense? Wouldn't you cover every inch of the thing in auto-targeting point defense towers? Also why build massive trenches into it's surface that serve no purpose besides giving opposing fighters massive cover against your AA turrets?

Immersion ruined.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

Why did the Death Star have such terrible point defense? Wouldn't you cover every inch of the thing in auto-targeting point defense towers? Also why build massive trenches into it's surface that serve no purpose besides giving opposing fighters massive cover against your AA turrets?

Immersion ruined.

The Rebellion should have called off the attack when it became obvious the blueprints they received weren’t accurate. In the briefing scene, the Superlaser dish is very clearly bisected by the equatorial trench, while on the actual Death Star the dish is offset.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
TLJ is crap and it has nothing to do with dumb nitpicky or racist/sexist bullshit like hyperdrive ramming, Holdo having purple hair, or Rose. It has everything to do with poo poo pacing, awful dialogue, poorly executed themes, even more poorly executed humor, and Rian being so obsessed with dunking on all the fan theories that he lazily answered every dangling mystery from TFW with "lol nothing." Who are Rey's parents? Nobody. How is Kylo going to complete his training? He doesn't. How does Luke train Rey? He doesn't. Who's Snoke? Nobody and he's dead, lol. How does the Republic respond to getting a bunch of their core worlds blown up? They don't. How do Rey, Kylo, or Finn grow in the next movie? They don't, and moreover Finn just lazily repeats the character arc he already completed in TFA.

The movie is loving garbage and if you like it fine, there are bad movies I like too, but do not try to tell me TLJ is good because it's poo poo.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
TLJ was bad because when I took my 7 year old to see it, he was almost immediately bored.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Sydin posted:

TLJ is crap and it has nothing to do with dumb nitpicky or racist/sexist bullshit like hyperdrive ramming, Holdo having purple hair, or Rose. It has everything to do with poo poo pacing, awful dialogue, poorly executed themes, even more poorly executed humor, and Rian being so obsessed with dunking on all the fan theories that he lazily answered every dangling mystery from TFW with "lol nothing." Who are Rey's parents? Nobody. How is Kylo going to complete his training? He doesn't. How does Luke train Rey? He doesn't. Who's Snoke? Nobody and he's dead, lol. How does the Republic respond to getting a bunch of their core worlds blown up? They don't. How do Rey, Kylo, or Finn grow in the next movie? They don't, and moreover Finn just lazily repeats the character arc he already completed in TFA.

The movie is loving garbage and if you like it fine, there are bad movies I like too, but do not try to tell me TLJ is good because it's poo poo.

When I watched it the first time all I could think of was the Battlestar Galactica episode "33 Minutes" where they had hyperspace tracking and how freaking intense that was.

Man I was bored by this movie and that's the greatest sin of all. Give me all that weird rear end star wars poo poo but make it a fuckin joy to watch!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sydin posted:

Immersion ruined.

The Empire expected to have to defend against huge capital ships, not tiny fighters. And even fighting a big group of fighters they still easily wiped out most of them

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Every year for Father's Day I visit my parents and my dad insists we watch Summer Rental. My family also watches Good Burger probably at least every other year. Both of these movies are crap and if you told me either are good I'd laugh in your face. But I still enjoy both of them because they're dumb as hell comedies that are perfect to watch drunk with people you like.

It boggles my mind how so many people feel the need to bend over backwards to justify how things they like are actually really good no really because reasons, instead of just admitting they enjoyed something that sucks. Everybody enjoys things that suck: soap operas and 99.9% of anime exists for a reason. Just acknowledge it and move on instead of getting weirdly confrontational on the internet about it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I don't know, never really had that problem. Everything I like is cool.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
same, except when SA folks also like it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Immersion ruined.

they used tie fighters for defense against fighters. The real question is why the rebels were not out numbered in that fight 500:1. there was like two dozen rebels attacking, but the death star has to be able to hold tens of thousands of tie fighters

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Sydin posted:

Maybe the problem is that TLJ isn't bad, it just isn't the movie you wanted. Its an incredibly bold film that takes a lot of stupid, unnecessary risks, and its truly a cinematic feat for none of them to have any actual payoff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

the rat fandom posted:

Maybe the problem is that TLJ isn't bad, it just isn't the movie you wanted. Its an incredibly bold film that takes a lot of stupid, unnecessary risks, and its truly a cinematic feat for none of them to have any actual payoff.

But enough about the prequels.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

the rat fandom posted:

You're right. As a star wars film the movie is bad, but as an intentional troll designed to damage the brand... it's pretty good!!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

they used tie fighters for defense against fighters. The real question is why the rebels were not out numbered in that fight 500:1. there was like two dozen rebels attacking, but the death star has to be able to hold tens of thousands of tie fighters

Tarkin refused to scramble them so only Vader's personal squadrons were deployed or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chomp8645 posted:

You're right. As a star wars film the movie is bad, but as an intentional troll designed to damage the brand... it's pretty good!!!

I think if it had been 60% troll instead of 95% it would have been a lot better

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

The Walrus posted:

poe mentions holdo is loading people into the transports. which leads to the following questions

1. how does benecio know they're launched/launching
2. how does he know they're cloaked

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Rutibex posted:

Didn't they do the same thing in TFA? They attack the SUPER DEATHSTAR with like 10 fighters and the SUPER DEATHSTAR responds with like 10 fighters for defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fartbox posted:

Didn't they do the same thing in TFA? They attack the SUPER DEATHSTAR with like 10 fighters and the SUPER DEATHSTAR responds with like 10 fighters for defense

They scrambled thousands but it's a three hour flight from their hangar on the southern continent.