Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

T-Square posted:

I moved towns and there isn't a Woodman's conveniently close to me anymore and I miss it. Although the one I went to in Waukesha's produce sucked rear end, their herbs were always lovely and wilted, their big gross onion bins were half-filled with rotting onions, their big gross lime and lemon bins were full of tiny rear end rock hard lemons and limes, and same with their big gross bins of avocados. Always had to wait like a week for those fuckin' things to be ripe.

Everything else about Woodman's owns though.

If the produce section sucks, Im out. They'd better have some spectacular hard to find canned goods and frozen items for me to bother walking back in. If they can't get their produce section right, then I have serious doubts about there deli and meat departments as well.

E: ive never been to a woodsman. This is a statement for any grocer that deals in produce and other perishables.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

mastershakeman posted:

Piggly wiggly is the one true local chain

Gotta get a Piggly Wiggly shirt next time I'm visiting my parents

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Not sure about Minnesota, but the Hyvee's in Madison are really good. Wish they would open some stores closer to Milwaukee.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

T-Square posted:

I moved towns and there isn't a Woodman's conveniently close to me anymore and I miss it. Although the one I went to in Waukesha's produce sucked rear end, their herbs were always lovely and wilted, their big gross onion bins were half-filled with rotting onions, their big gross lime and lemon bins were full of tiny rear end rock hard lemons and limes, and same with their big gross bins of avocados. Always had to wait like a week for those fuckin' things to be ripe.

Everything else about Woodman's owns though. Pick 'N' Save is okay, but we just got a Festival Foods recently. I went the day after it opened and it was insane, so I'll have to go back when it dies down before I judge it.

A: woodmans' produce generally tops out at "good" and I split time between the Janesville or (east side) Madison woodmans depending on reasons
B: it's waukesha, what were you expecting

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

If the produce section sucks, Im out. They'd better have some spectacular hard to find canned goods and frozen items for me to bother walking back in. If they can't get their produce section right, then I have serious doubts about there deli and meat departments as well.

E: ive never been to a woodsman. This is a statement for any grocer that deals in produce and other perishables.

pick n' save probably has the best produce in the southern wisconsin area, but this is basically entirely down to the fact that they got acquired by Kroger and Kroger is very, very good at produce

e: I do miss meijer though, nothing here in cheeseland quite compares

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have a really high opinion of Festival Foods even though they pay their employees like poo poo. Produce and meat has always been great quality whenever I shop there.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

NFC North: If the produce section sucks, Im out

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fenrir posted:

That's a blast from the past. Used to see them in Arkansas in the 80s/early 90s.

There was some big Piggly Wiggly schism and the stores in the south have a different ownership from the Wisconsin ones.

420_Power_Rangers
Dec 9, 2014

Gotta Hate Something

Bip Roberts posted:

There was some big Piggly Wiggly schism and the stores in the south have a different ownership from the Wisconsin ones.

I remember the Piggly Wiggly in Antioch, cause my Grandma would always take my brother and I when we were with her.

The last Piggly Wiggly I saw was a small grocery store that got bought out by them and jacked the prices up, then went out of business when a Sullivan's opened on the other side of town a couple years ago. Small town Illinois had a lot to talk about that year!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Hy-Vee:MN::Fry's/Kroger::Sun Belt

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Metapod posted:

No we went to this store called hyvee which was pretty underwhelming in comparison

Nice troll

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The local Walmart is store number 13 (even though they've moved to a different building since opening.)

I grew up in Minnesota so I miss a lot of the places being meantioned.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Smh if you've missed the gift that is the Woodman's liquor section/store

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bring Back Rainbow Foods

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Darth Brooks posted:

The local Walmart is store number 13 (even though they've moved to a different building since opening.)

I grew up in Minnesota so I miss a lot of the places being meantioned.

I grew up in Minnesota but all I remember is like Cub Foods and Rainbow tbh. Now I live in New York where people are losing their poo poo over Wegman’s opening

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Rectal Placenta posted:

Smh if you've missed the gift that is the Woodman's liquor section/store

Was going to post this.

Also, you never know how much you miss Walmart/Target until you live in an area where all you have is a KMart.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Abugadu posted:

Was going to post this.

Also, you never know how much you miss Walmart/Target until you live in an area where all you have is a KMart.

:wtf: You live in the 80's?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what if menards sold food

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

They do!

:science:

Its mostly junk food and snacks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Abugadu posted:

Was going to post this.

do u live in Australia lol

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-last-place-on-earth-where-everyone-still-loves-kmart-guam-1516118140

*nb: not everyone here loves kmart.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Woodmans produce sucks rear end but they have the greatest selection/variety of packaged food and liquor

Hyvee owns in general, haters get the gently caress out

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Petite Dinklage posted:

Woodmans produce sucks rear end but they have the greatest selection/variety of packaged food and liquor

Hyvee owns in general, haters get the gently caress out

:hmmyes:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Pity to the shoppers who go to Woodmans and the bottom of the pallet box of vegetables is all they have left

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Green Bay resident here, and there are Woodmans, Meijer, Menards, and a Fleet Farm within about a mile of each other, Festival Foods a few miles away from there, and a couple of Piggly Wigglys not much further away. And a Kwik Trip at practically every intersection in between.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

T-Square posted:

Everything else about Woodman's owns though. Pick 'N' Save is okay, but we just got a Festival Foods recently. I went the day after it opened and it was insane, so I'll have to go back when it dies down before I judge it.

We have a festival now?

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

widefault posted:

Green Bay resident here, and there are Woodmans, Meijer, Menards, and a Fleet Farm within about a mile of each other, Festival Foods a few miles away from there, and a couple of Piggly Wigglys not much further away. And a Kwik Trip at practically every intersection in between.

You forgot Pick n Save!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shmtur posted:

You forgot Pick n Save!

Isn't it Copp's up there?

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

iospace posted:

Isn't it Copp's up there?

Not anymore. I don't remember exactly when it changed though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GO gently caress YOURSELVES THIS IS NOW A JEWEL/OSCO THREAD OK THE JEWEL IS KIND OF A lovely GROCERY STORE AND DOMINICK'S NO LONGER EXISTS BUT YOU DON'T GET TO SAY poo poo ABOUT IT CHUMPS

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/status/1202302798341328897?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh look! A Faberge egg wearing an NFL jersey!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1202293520117182464

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have a farmer jack sticker on my laptop but Kroger ate their soul

We only have fresh thyme, Walmart, target, Meijer, and Kroger now

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shmtur posted:

Not anymore. I don't remember exactly when it changed though.

All Copp's rebranded to Pick 'n Save in late 2017.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

All Copp's rebranded to Pick 'n Save in late 2017.

Would coincide with the Kroger buyout then.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Which is worse, Coborn's or Aldi's?

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Festival is great, but I easily spend an extra 20% more there on the same grocery list compared to Woodman’s. The produce section at Woodman’s isn’t as good, but it’s not bad enough to be a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There's a King Cash Saver here and it has the weirdest and stupidest gimmick I've ever seen in a grocery store. The price of the item is the price on the shelf plus 10%. Yup. That $ 9.00 item is really $ 9.90 and if you don't do the math as you're going though the store you don't realize it until you get to the checkout.

kingcashsaver.com posted:

Everything in King Cash Saver is priced at cost on the shelf, with just 10% added to your total bill when you check out.

Product cost is determined by the expense it takes to buy it and get it from our suppliers to the shelf.

The result? Unbelievable savings on your family's grocery bill.

The result? The result is that I stay away from the store because I hate the gimmick so much. It's sad because they actually have a better variety than Wal-Mart.