Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm still Link-less, I'm waiting patiently for the official cable. But I will remember your list.

Ah, well some of them are quest as well. You might want to check out Journey of the Gods, Apex Construct, Espire 1, and Moss. I know at least Journey of the Gods, Apex, and Espire 1 at least are all cross buy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I only ever bought one song DLC. That Tokyo Machines - Play map. Seemed nice on Youtube.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Although Beat Saber has a few flaws, it still towers over other similar games. Synth Riders is... interesting, but just isn't as fun as to cutting blocks, both from a visceral point (cutting with a lightsaber > grabbing/touching colored balls), and from a gameplay perspective (cut directions make it more engaging and interesting than things like the lines or the gold spheres).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I still think Soundboxing is as good as Beat Saber, or maybe a close second. All three of them work best with different kinds of music though, imo

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

Although Beat Saber has a few flaws, it still towers over other similar games. Synth Riders is... interesting, but just isn't as fun as to cutting blocks, both from a visceral point (cutting with a lightsaber > grabbing/touching colored balls), and from a gameplay perspective (cut directions make it more engaging and interesting than things like the lines or the gold spheres).

Play a harder difficulty or actually dance.
Synth Riders is more about movement and poo poo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm actually having trouble finding custom songs for Beat Saber. Not to say that there is a shortage of them, there is literally a random download option and always something to play.

I just thought there would be... more specific songs? It's pretty unlikely that you can search for something that you THINK would be charted by 3 or 4 different people and find it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm actually having trouble finding custom songs for Beat Saber. Not to say that there is a shortage of them, there is literally a random download option and always something to play.

I just thought there would be... more specific songs? It's pretty unlikely that you can search for something that you THINK would be charted by 3 or 4 different people and find it.

Popular songs if mapped will be done so poorly (most of the time).

Weeby poo poo, is hard to find, but it tends to be mapped really well.

Everything else you've never heard of is a crapshoot.

Beatsaver has also been getting DMCA'd more lately. So stuffs getting pulled on a regular basis.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Calipark posted:

I finally got around to playing Robo Recall and good lord is this game good. I rarely see it talked about in "Best of VR" lists though.

It's one of my favorite vr games. My pcvr time is probably 75% gorn or rr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TVs Ian posted:

Something about it is super stressful for me. It's like it really tricks my lizard brain into thinking that nope, I'm really surrounded by killer robots, you can't just take the headset off and make them go away.

The intro doesn't really help, and I discovered when having to start over on a new computer that it's not skippable. I think the first time I played, I actually ducked at the last second. Also when starting over, for some reason I couldn't successfully draw my pistol when that first robot jumped down. It was a panicky moment but strangely cathartic to grab its handle and yank its head off before getting myself sorted out.

And I'm not presenting that as a bad thing.

I think part of my problem is that my depth perception normally kind of sucks, I'm super bad at judging distances and stuff. The forced VR version actually winds up looking more 3D than real life to me a lot of times. Even back when I had a Virtual Boy, the boxes that the treasures sat on in Wario Land were like, beyond realistic to me, like no object could ever look like that.

I have the same problem with robo recall. The robots seem to exist in real space more than other things do in other games to me for some reason, and they really creep me out.

I’ve played alien isolation VR and robo recall creeps me out more.

I also believe I have kinda bad depth perception. VR often looks more 3D to me than real life does. This is probably why I’ve also been fascinated with every 3D thing I could get my hands on, from the virtual boy, to magic eye books to the 3DS and now VR

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

Popular songs if mapped will be done so poorly (most of the time).

Weeby poo poo, is hard to find, but it tends to be mapped really well.

Everything else you've never heard of is a crapshoot.

Beatsaver has also been getting DMCA'd more lately. So stuffs getting pulled on a regular basis.

Are there other outlets to get songs from? Maybe archives of pulled stuff somewhere

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not ashamed to admit my Beat Saber warm up and cooldown song is the Star Twinkle Precure transformation theme. Its a good map + has a cool drum solo

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Does anybody know any ways to strap the vive wands to your hands so you don't have to constantly hold them? Since the index controllers are still out of stock, this is my main problem stopping me from playing VR games more often.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/CloudheadGames/status/1202299690500284416?s=19

Huh

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

Are there other outlets to get songs from? Maybe archives of pulled stuff somewhere

bsaber might have some stuff laying around still that didn't get DMCA'd. https://bsaber.com/

TBH its not normally a huge loss. Most of the time popular stuff that would get pulled, was mapped so badly nobody cared anyways. Take a look at any metallica map. They are all trash and the ONE thats decent (trivum cover) is still all over the place with timing.

It is funny though.

Theres a LOT of really bad maps, that people really enjoy and have a lot of thumbs ups. Most of those people are new, think bad mapping is just hard, and really like the song. Then they go back, play that trash later once they "git gud" and realize how bad it was.

With that said, If you're not picky / upper tier, MajorPickle is a mapper doing like, a lot of more popular/older stuff. Its all playable for the most part*.
https://beatsaver.com/uploader/5cff0b7398cc5a672c84f792

*I'm assuming you're downloading things mostly from 2019. Theres not heaps of stuff that aged well tbh.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 5, 2019

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
A short list of my Beat Saber go to mappers for current mapping stuff that’s also good for Maul
Heisenberg
Rustic
Ruckus
Joetastic
Ryger
Kuritsa

If I see a map by these guys I’ll play it no questions and it’s almost always solid. Heisenberg especially, his stuff just always jams and is often totally amazing for Maul

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not to delve too deeply into warez but how strong are the torrent options for beatsaber songs? That seems like a pretty straightforward approach.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

I still think Soundboxing is as good as Beat Saber, or maybe a close second. All three of them work best with different kinds of music though, imo

Agree, and that's considering the fact that Soundboxing is very rough around the edges compared to Beat Saber.

I still very much think that Soundboxing is inherently the best exercise game in VR. For lots of reasons, but the proliferation of 15 plus minute long beatmaps is a very big one.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

Not to delve too deeply into warez but how strong are the torrent options for beatsaber songs? That seems like a pretty straightforward approach.

Theres literally no point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thrill of the Fight is without a doubt the best exercise I've gotten in VR to date. I've not yet tried beat based boxing games yet, but the thing I really like about Thrill of the Fight is that it awakens that deep lizard brain sensation of fighting to the death and just absolutely gets your mind off everything no matter what and you're just totally focused on the immediate task at hand.

Compare to say, beatsaber, where I'm replaying that lovely meeting that happened today, in the back of my mind while playing the game

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

Thrill of the Fight is without a doubt the best exercise I've gotten in VR to date. I've not yet tried beat based boxing games yet, but the thing I really like about Thrill of the Fight is that it awakens that deep lizard brain sensation of fighting to the death and just absolutely gets your mind off everything no matter what and you're just totally focused on the immediate task at hand.

Compare to say, beatsaber, where I'm replaying that lovely meeting that happened today, in the back of my mind while playing the game

Until You Fall also does the lizard brain thing for me. Highly recommend. Its also an arm melter. Its one of the first games in a long rear end time that made my arms feel like I was at the gym for 4 hours doing arm stuff.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I'm sure this has been said a billion times and I know it's subjective but I just wish the default go to music type for games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip wasn't the samey generic EDM. It's a completely different kind of game but the way Tetris Effect utilizes music and just the overall auditory experience is one of my favorite VR experiences so far and it contains a whole level of nuance and curation that I don't feel like has been matched in any other VR music heavy game.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 5, 2019

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
EDIT: dumb phone and double posts

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

pootiebigwang posted:

I'm sure this has been said a billion times and I know it's subjective but I just wish the default go to music type for games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip wasn't the samey generic EDM. It's a completely different kind of game but the way Tetris Effect utilizes music and just the overall auditory experience is one of my favorite VR experiences so far and it contains a whole level of nuance and curation that I don't feel like has been matched in any other VR music heavy game.

If music companies and artists didn't try to charge insane money for licenses, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Seriously, Some of the rates some artists try to charge for a game feature is literally insane.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

If music companies and artists didn't try to charge insane money for licenses, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Seriously, Some of the rates some artists try to charge for a game feature is literally insane.

While there are aspects to this which are definitely true (getting Metallica or literally any major label artist to supply some songs for example) there are still plenty of insanely talented and independent artists out there (the ones that have an actual reason to believe in exposure bucks) who would be more than willing to supply music at a nominal fee. I just feel like if music is literally the driving force of your game than it should be curated and thought out well beyond "beat go fast."

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zaphod42 posted:

Worse is games that have the screen go pure white.

Fallout 4's into is like designed to destroy your eyeballs. Its honestly offensive they charge so much money and spent zero time on it.

Seriously the screen goes full white for like 4 loving minutes, it takes FOREVER and is painful, and there's no audio cue to tell you its safe to open your eyes.

gently caress bethesda.

$60 for Fallout VR on release with zero DLC and no support for Rift lol.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

It's too bad that tiny little Beat Games doesn't have money for licensing fees.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hellsau posted:

$60 for Fallout VR on release with zero DLC and no support for Rift lol.

I feel like I have to mention this every time Fallout VR comes up, but to fully understand what a bad port it was, when it came out, the skybox at night was set to a height somehow of like, 10 feet. So it created this brain busting illusion where buildings, trees, cliffs could be a 100 feet tall, but it felt like you could almost touch the stars above them.

I don't know how on earth you gently caress up something like that, and not even notice!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I feel like I have to mention this every time Fallout VR comes up, but to fully understand what a bad port it was, when it came out, the skybox at night was set to a height somehow of like, 10 feet. So it created this brain busting illusion where buildings, trees, cliffs could be a 100 feet tall, but it felt like you could almost touch the stars above them.

I don't know how on earth you gently caress up something like that, and not even notice!

It also turned out they bypassed the SteamVR controller API to hard-code the selected controller based on what your tracking system was (Constellation cameras or Lighthouses). So Legacy Steam bindings simply get ignored (eg; rigging Index controllers as Oculus Touch, as was found out in the this thread).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What are some cool VR titles to look forward to? I know that one shooty game everyone's hype is this or next week, and obv there's Alyx, but anything y'all are peeping besides? Any good Indies in the pipeline?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tom Guycot posted:

"the stars are coming for you and you have nowhere to run" is a hell of a selling point for a game that isn't Fallout VR.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What are some cool VR titles to look forward to? I know that one shooty game everyone's hype is this or next week, and obv there's Alyx, but anything y'all are peeping besides? Any good Indies in the pipeline?

Deadstick is a bushflying simulator that's gonna have VR support, and Project Wingman is an Ace Combatlike that is also gonna have VR support. I'm pretty thrilled for both of those.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Deadstick is a bushflying simulator that's gonna have VR support, and Project Wingman is an Ace Combatlike that is also gonna have VR support. I'm pretty thrilled for both of those.

Project Wingman sounds tight as gently caress

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I adored what little VR there was in Ace Combat so a game focused around that would be an instant buy from me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

Deadstick is DOA. The dev hasnt posted anything in like a year and the forums for it are just threads asking for an update. I have it on my wishlist just in case, but dont hold your breath.

Also, upcoming VR games? Half Life: ALYX

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Only other big games I know of in the pipeline besides Alyx, are Boneworks, that Medal of Honour game, and Lone Echo 2.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the person I was replying to mentioned that already.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Deadstick is DOA. The dev hasnt posted anything in like a year and the forums for it are just threads asking for an update. I have it on my wishlist just in case, but dont hold your breath.

This isn't true. They just aren't spamming updates.

https://twitter.com/DeadstickSim/status/1182303017988710400

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is Dead stick the model airplane VR game by the guy who originally did Kerbal space program

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

Is Dead stick the model airplane VR game by the guy who originally did Kerbal space program

No, Deadstick is the bush pilot simulator.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The counterweight stays. I usually need a half-hour away from VR before I can use a flatscreen without feeling weird, but tonight, I plugged in my headset, grabbed a drink, and went straight to shitposting. No dull tension headache either. Next up is a VR Cover, because now I really notice it pushing into my brow.

I started playing Pistol Whip in an unheated room in a long-sleeved shirt, pajama pants, and socks. An hour later I was pouring sweat in boxers and socks still trying to No-Hit Black Magic Normal. I only quit because the Quest begged for juice. I love how even reloads and the bullets whizzing by your head work in the song. I know I look like a doofus playing it, but I feel cool as gently caress when I'm on beat, dodging bullets, and hitting on every shot. So have another big endorsement for Pistol Whip, because I want to pick up the Quest when it finishes charging, and go play more, even though my knees are pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Only other big games I know of in the pipeline besides Alyx, are Boneworks, that Medal of Honour game, and Lone Echo 2.

Boneworks was definitely "the shooter game" he was referring to, and he mentioned Alyx.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lmao, if you're gonna respond, read the post.