Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Am I crazy or did Minsc/a barbarian character in BG2 have a whirlwind spin attack? I can't find anythign on google and I swore someone did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Alan Smithee posted:

Am I crazy or did Minsc/a barbarian character in BG2 have a whirlwind spin attack? I can't find anythign on google and I swore someone did this

Martial classes get a whirlwind ability at super high levels, like 18 or 20 or something? I think the high level feats were added in the expansion.

Edit: https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/High-level_class_ability

And I just remembered that Haer'Dalis was a blade and had offensive spin, if that's what you're thinking of.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 5, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alan Smithee posted:

Also worth note is that the Diablo 2 Barb class looked similar to Minsc and had a real physical whirlwind. Not sure if that’s what you’re remembering. The HLA whirlwind skill didn’t look like a character spinning around, it was just fast attack speed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Black Whirlwind was in Jade Empire which is an entirely different Bioware game.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Are we making an ironman thread this year?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Suspicious posted:

Are we making an ironman thread this year?

I really hope so?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've decided to volunteer to run the ironman thread this year. I'm hoping to have the thread open tonight.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Is that time of the year again? Let's get one shotted by wolves outside Candlekeep again.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905690

Thread is up. Good luck!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I installed BG Tutu and I feel like I must have messed up because this seems like an insane amount of enemies to be spawning. It's been so long since I played real BG1 that I'm not sure though. Anyone have some insight?

This is on the map south of Friendly Arm Inn any anywhere I walk more and more spawn.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That's definitely more enemies that are supposed to spawn in vanilla BG at Core Rules difficulty.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

I installed BG Tutu and I feel like I must have messed up because this seems like an insane amount of enemies to be spawning. It's been so long since I played real BG1 that I'm not sure though. Anyone have some insight?

This is on the map south of Friendly Arm Inn any anywhere I walk more and more spawn.

you hit yes on the spawn rates

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Tutu has it's own spawning mechanics. I think there's an option during install to select vanilla spawns, but I haven't messed with Tutu in years.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

THS posted:

you hit yes on the spawn rates

I did EasyTutu and there was no options given. Maybe I should try non EasyTutu I guess.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
What's the least hassle way to play with full Core Rules damage but max HP (this is important as I limit my resting in these games) on level up, automatic spell scribe and no perma death (I would be fine with this as-is if Resurrection actually worked as it should? I've always been annoyed that "Normal" difficulty takes out all of the bullshit rules (and fucks up how death works) then adds a totally out of place 25% reduction in damage. I've always thought that they would be better served in having difficulty only affect incoming damage with tick boxes for hp/level, scribe failure, spawn rate etc

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

BGEE / 2 has an option for max HP rolls in the options menu. Tweaks Anthology has 100% learn spells and I think less likely to die forever options.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

What's the least hassle way to play with full Core Rules damage but max HP (this is important as I limit my resting in these games) on level up, automatic spell scribe and no perma death (I would be fine with this as-is if Resurrection actually worked as it should? I've always been annoyed that "Normal" difficulty takes out all of the bullshit rules (and fucks up how death works) then adds a totally out of place 25% reduction in damage. I've always thought that they would be better served in having difficulty only affect incoming damage with tick boxes for hp/level, scribe failure, spawn rate etc

Not exactly hassle free, but just drop the difficulty down when you hit level up, then reset it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cheesetriangles posted:

BGEE / 2 has an option for max HP rolls in the options menu. Tweaks Anthology has 100% learn spells and I think less likely to die forever options.

If you aren't doing EE Tweak pack should also have an option for max hp.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Does Siege of Dragonspear become more 'open'? It seems very linear thus far, with little to no means of varying from a set path, while BG 1 & 2 allowed much more freedom right after the opening bits in Candlekeep/Irenicus' dungeon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

BadAstronaut posted:

Does Siege of Dragonspear become more 'open'? It seems very linear thus far, with little to no means of varying from a set path, while BG 1 & 2 allowed much more freedom right after the opening bits in Candlekeep/Irenicus' dungeon.

Nope. It's linear by design as per the story (a moving siege camp) but each chapter has a number of things for you to do and see before you move on. I quite enjoyed my time with it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah before you advance the story to the next chapter or whatever I recommend finishing any side quests you've got, because once the camp advances you can't go back.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The price of BG and especially NWN on Xbox is ridiculous, who in their right mind would pay 50 euro?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

It's a military march to an eventual siege so no, not really, but as long as you don't advance, there's quite a bit of side content. Honestly some very underrated and memorable Infinity Engine dungeons in that expansion.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

The price of BG and especially NWN on Xbox is ridiculous, who in their right mind would pay 50 euro?

Yeah it's really dumb. I was actually thinking of trying nwn on the switch but then they set the price at 50 and lol nope

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

When they're regularly available on Google/Apple app stores or Steam for like $2.50 that seems pretty ridiculous.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think it's crazy to play an infinity engine game on any system that doesn't have access to the console but :shrug:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that they are relying on the fact that those games these days can be run on a toaster, that people feel a need to play everything on a 72'' television, and that said same people don't know that these games can be played perfectly well, with superior controls (and the console) on even the most modest modern laptops.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I bought it on Switch without doing enough research (my bad) about the control scheme, and really miss touchscreen - I really was very comfortable with the iPad/Android tablet controls and while they have done a very good job of implementing joypad/controller support on Switch, maaaan I wish I could just tap some of those controls. A hybrid of the walking controls with joypad and the option to just tap the touchscreen on Switch would be absolute best. Or, some way of playing with a bluetooth mouse on console would be great too.

Anyway, I will persist with Siege of Dragonspear on Switch despite the terrible hardships I must endure.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Planescape: Torment is $1.99 in the Android store right now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that they are relying on the fact that those games these days can be run on a toaster, that people feel a need to play everything on a 72'' television, and that said same people don't know that these games can be played perfectly well, with superior controls (and the console) on even the most modest modern laptops.

the games run seamlessly on my 6 year old tablet

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So they are decently playable on a tablet? Because I have 2 weeks of my first ever jury duty coming up soon and I've been warned by multiple people to prepare for a lot of sitting around in waiting areas to see if you're required that day.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

So they are decently playable on a tablet? Because I have 2 weeks of my first ever jury duty coming up soon and I've been warned by multiple people to prepare for a lot of sitting around in waiting areas to see if you're required that day.

They're not bad. I played almost all of IWD on a tablet a couple of years ago and there are only a few irritations involved in losing the super fine mouse precision.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I play them exclusively on tablet now and it is not quite as playable as with a mouse, but imo it's better than playing with a laptop trackpad. If you think you can live without the console then I highly recommend.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
But how, in fact, do you live without Ctrl + J?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve never used Ctrl J before.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Be careful not to jump over important triggers with it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

I picked up the Baldur's Gate collection in the winter sale on Xbox Live. I think it's a pretty good conversion, and I like the control scheme better than Pillars of Eternity's console port. I just finished the cultist quest after Durlag's Tower in BG1.

I feel like both games for $42 is a pretty reasonable price if you want to play it on a console.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I got to ask, what is the state of the Neverwinter Nights EE right now? I keep hearing it is not worth using if you have the base game, but otherwise it is ok, also there is an issue when it comes to mods, but I'm not sure what it was or if it was fixed or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bholder posted:

I got to ask, what is the state of the Neverwinter Nights EE right now? I keep hearing it is not worth using if you have the base game, but otherwise it is ok, also there is an issue when it comes to mods, but I'm not sure what it was or if it was fixed or not.

Mods should all work fine, the main thing is it doesn't really add anything compared to the Baldur's Gate EEs, some higher resolution options, but NWN already had way more than BG and I think stuff like ultra widescreen could be done with an ini tweak instead of having to install a mod like BG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think NWN EE is worth it just for an upscale UI, and it’s handy to have built in Ultrawide