Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

are you all missing the post up thread by the person who reported their alt? The one where they reported them because she called them a rapist? I feel like that's a pretty good example as to why she was banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

TB would constantly freak out on people and had an awful cult of personality following her around to dogpile people. Also, she would constantly tell people to kill themselves which is always extremely lovely even if the other guy is a shithead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Basically whenever I'd see a TB post I'd just ignore the thread for about a week because her mere presence, whether intentional or not, would derail and ruin the thread until she inevitably caught another monther.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Put it is way: as soon as I read the statement that they were the same person, my thought was 'well, of course they were, why the hell didn't I realise that earlier, it's so obvious'

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Crocoswine posted:

are you all missing the post up thread by the person who reported their alt? The one where they reported them because she called them a rapist? I feel like that's a pretty good example as to why she was banned.

her calling me a rapist came after i knew it was her. i knew it was her because she started referencing our shared years of unreadably bad d&d grudge posting, and if some random rereg low post account was lighting me up over posts made years ago i could only think of one person it could possibly be

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

fool_of_sound posted:

When a mod suspects a poster is a permaban rereg, they poke an admin to do an IP lookup. That's all there is to it.

They're actually contractually obliged to look whenever someone is suspected to be a perma rereg. This causes a lot of problems in the admin community when people joke about being permarereg58.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Can we let her come back and only post in the r/relationships thread?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oh, somehow I missed that TB was banned. Should have happened much sooner.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tuberculosis gained sentience and transmits over the internet? Good run while it lasted

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Shut up Meg posted:

Put it is way: as soon as I read the statement that they were the same person, my thought was 'well, of course they were, why the hell didn't I realise that earlier, it's so obvious'

I was honestly a bit surprised to hear it because extremely online had managed to get in several slapfights in the relationships thread without telling anyone to kill themselves.

Patrick Spens has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Dec 5, 2019

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

rodbeard posted:

Can we let her come back and only post in the r/relationships thread?
No. You'll have to find your Pick replacement elsewhere.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Crocoswine posted:

The one where he reported her “before” she called him that you mean? There are way worse posters on this site, several of them in this thread. Let’s not pretend there aren’t plenty of racists and misogynists who “just ask questions” all day long until other people get probed/banned for getting sick of their poo poo, and there are several mods that are just fine with that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tuberculosis gained sentience and transmits over the internet? Good run while it lasted

Ironically tuberculosis would be a pleasant change from a tiny brontosaurus messing with your poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is that it can sometimes take a while to realise when someone flips out for good reasons vs when someone flips out for literally any reason.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess I'm the only person that finds a mod egging on an extremely intoxicated person with obvious self esteem issues to post nudes of herself in a thread full of thirsty creeps that he stickied and goldmine to be super gross and not ok? I saw it and figured I'd log in in a few days and the natural shitstorm it should have caused would have happened but nope. Is there an in-joke I missed?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
No jokes there, just a clear view of our mods not being exactly democratically selected. Many are ancient (either with how long they've been a mod, or literally) and we haven't gotten offered new ones in a while, and that's who we end up with.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I guess I'm the only person that finds a mod egging on an extremely intoxicated person with obvious self esteem issues to post nudes of herself in a thread full of thirsty creeps that he stickied and goldmine to be super gross and not ok? I saw it and figured I'd log in in a few days and the natural shitstorm it should have caused would have happened but nope. Is there an in-joke I missed?

There was sufficient protest in QCS that the thread was de-goldmined, gassed, and edited to remove her nudes, which is probably about all that could be done given the level of pushback there was even about that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That is, if there was democratic selection there'd be a whole lot more new mods all the time, and we'd have enough extra mods that we could painlessly remove the bad ones on a referendum. I should clarify that the current mods largely did have democratic support and other users vouching for them before they came in, yes, but we need oversight for more than just that one initial moment.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
wait what? Was the QCS thread also gassed? This is bonkers. I thought both homegrown and soliciting homegrown were ban-on-sight.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
All of that being said re: the mods, making them democratically elected would be a terrible loving idea because it would devolve into a popularity contest and would only dramatically worsen the problems of the site.

Hm, this sounds kinda familiar.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It got moved to the gas chamber where it should have been before it got to two pages.

Funky See Funky Do has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Dec 5, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There should be one mod, me, and I will ban anyone I see posting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

All of that being said re: the mods, making them democratically elected would be a terrible loving idea because it would devolve into a popularity contest and would only dramatically worsen the problems of the site.

c'mon what about all the times a forums superstar was made moderator and it worked out great like

uh

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You can't spell tyranny of the masses without "m'rear end".

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're describing the way it already is -- many mods were chosen for their popularity. The problem isn't who we select, it's when we select. It's that part that's not democratic. The users never get together and say "hey our subforum traffic went up by 300 per day, send us three new mods asap". Nor do we really get the opportunity to cycle them out once they're here, but that's only possible if we have enough mods anyway. The solution is to mod a lot more people, more often, invite the posters to discuss which new mods are using their powers for good, and follow a schedule that takes mod powers away if they fail to impress and gives them to someone else. How about we cycle mods out more than once a decade.

e: Again it's not really us that gets to decide that though, and that's the only point. It's the reason you see mods act this way and the reason some mods are responsible for subforums they don't even like.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 08:52 on Dec 5, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Anne Whateley posted:

wait what? Was the QCS thread also gassed? This is bonkers. I thought both homegrown and soliciting homegrown were ban-on-sight.

It's in the now-locked thread about non-funny Goldmine posts / renaming Comedy Purgatory, because someone saw it in the goldmine and was like "poo poo, why is this here, let me post in the Goldmine-related QCS thread about it"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm kind of prone to hyperbole so I thought I'd recheck my post to make sure I'm not framing it over dramatically. No. Totally dry recounting of the events. It's so trashy. It's something you'd expect to see in a sleazy mid 2000s chat room.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It’s poo poo that I don’t want to see here and I’m frankly pissed about the way this was handled

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If elected mod, my first act will be to ban the lot of ya, and burn your forum to cinders.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
thanks to all who appreciated buglife, it will please you to know that we have created a three month old caterpillar. tiddylimpet americanus. lil yogurt smellin rear end hornworm lookin bitch.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
my nakedness

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

thanks to all who appreciated buglife, it will please you to know that we have created a three month old caterpillar. tiddylimpet americanus. lil yogurt smellin rear end hornworm lookin bitch.

Aww tiny yogurt stinky buddy :downs:

It would be funny to be a mod, and also terrible.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If you did it I would expect it would be to encourage online finches to nest in your bush and not for GBS to horn out on.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
honestly i don't even care about seeing tiddy im just upset i wrongly assumed the thread would be trash after 3 posts and noping out

edit- if i wanna see depressed internet look at me tiddy i will face a mirror, peel back my shirt, and devour g-d's shame.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If you did it I would expect it would be to encourage online finches to nest in your bush and not for GBS to horn out on.

I am basically Liz Lemon in real life

*whispers* the Blocker!!!! *disappears*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
All of this is entirely dumb. I wish I had the mental fortitude to care about this even one bit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine melting down over a boob.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Remember that other Spinster thread where a goon posted his dick and got a ban?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Paladinus posted:

All of this is entirely dumb. I wish I had the mental fortitude to care about this even one bit.

But enough about the Something Awul forums.

Also here's my Tiny Brontosaurus take: it sucks that she got perma'd because her meltdowns were often in the right, but also, often weren't, and she'd carry posting grudges for long rear end times and loved telling people to kill themselves.

Most importantly, she did a really good job getting the sex bathroom-turned-SA mart shiller guy with the mold rocks to dunk on himself by just offering sincere interior design advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

she'd carry posting grudges for long rear end times and loved telling people to kill themselves.

i feel like it's hard to make the case that her getting banned sucks when you have this sentence anywhere in the rest of the post

i remember the mods gave her lots of chances and just kept saying 'look all you have to do is stop telling people to kill themselves' but this was impossible for her and they weren't even fun death posts like avshalom's murder threats, they were just insanely vitriolic - but then she felt her wrath was righteous and probably felt it was a badge of honour for her account to be martyred