Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
thought i posted yesterday :shrug:

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

INCREDIBLE seals

Monty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kavak posted:

Is that the case in the book too? They abduct a kid and he gets Chuck Cunningham'd?

Yeah, the book has a tendency to introduce potential plot points and then drop them almost immediately.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Samovar posted:

Anubis was always the coolest of the Egyptian pantheon.

quote:

Sobek enjoyed a longstanding presence in the ancient Egyptian pantheon, from the Old Kingdom of Egypt (c. 2686–2181 BCE) through the Roman period (c. 30 BCE – 350 CE). He is first known from several different Pyramid Texts of the Old Kingdom, particularly from spell PT 317.[5][6] The spell, which praises the pharaoh as the living incarnation of the crocodile god, reads:

quote:

Unis is Sobek, green of plumage, with alert face and raised fore, the splashing one who came from the thigh and tail of the great goddess in the sunlight ... Unis has appeared as Sobek, Neith's son. Unis will eat with his mouth, Unis will urinate and Unis will copulate with his penis. Unis is lord of semen, who takes women from their husbands to the place Unis likes according to his heart's fancy.[7]

The origin of his name, Sbk[8] in Egyptian, is debated among scholars, but many believe that it is derived from a causative of the verb "to impregnate".[9]

Some of his common epithets betray this nature succinctly, the most notable of which being: "he who loves robbery", "he who eats while he also mates", and "pointed of teeth".

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of wonder how many people in this argument are aware that Sarin was the artist for all of Giant Days, because, like, she is not a new thing (also a national treasure).

I'm aware, if for no other reason than Charlotte now looks like a mix of the goth roommate without her makeup on and the attitude of the other brown-haired roommate. (The series didn't leave much of an impression on me.)

Anyway, more Modesty Blaise:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Stoic: De Boid What Brings De Babies

Retail

Get Fuzzy 12/3/99

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2016 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

See, this is the kind of thing modern Tracy needs. Villains straight-up going "I'M EVIL AND GOING TO BLOW UP EVERYTHING." I'm not even joking.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I knew this was coming up, because it's probably the funniest Spidey strip to me when I first saw it, and it still cracked me up.

That look of utter befuddlement on Scott's face, then their despair on the metro...

:discourse:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

In today's comic, you will note that the counter clock has been stuck on the wall with a mass of chewed red liquorice bootlaces.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Lottie and her mom have gained quite a bit of weight, haven't they

I mean, sure, that shouldn't be an issue, but if you've read the whole of Bad Machinery so far like we all have I think it does feel off-model. If it was a regular comic strip suddenly going that direction we'd all be screaming feeder fetish right about now.
Perhaps the Fat Banshee finally got Lottie. I mean, looking at how her mum & sister are depicted in other stories, seems more like that's just the way her family is.

howe_sam posted:

I don't think that's necessarily it because he aged Lottie up seven years for this new series, it whatever the reason it's too bad, because there were some really solid jokes in that arc.
Also it's worth noting that Lottie's stated to be 19 in the new comic, 7 years older than her last appearance in Giant Days, which itself took place roughly in the 3-year span between Scary Go Round's ending and the beginning of Bad Machinery. I think at this point she's 14 or 15 (she's apparently the youngest of the mystery teens, I think Mildred's the oldest?).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/NoobtheLoser/status/1202315280816451586?s=20

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

PuddingKnight posted:

Overboard

INCREDIBLE seals

The sharkwife has eyelashes. Inspired.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also it's worth noting that Lottie's stated to be 19 in the new comic, 7 years older than her last appearance in Giant Days, which itself took place roughly in the 3-year span between Scary Go Round's ending and the beginning of Bad Machinery. I think at this point she's 14 or 15 (she's apparently the youngest of the mystery teens, I think Mildred's the oldest?).

Mildred's definitely the oldest of the girls, her birthday is in September. Shauna's is in November and in one of the cases she mentions Lottie was born nine months after her. Sonny was born on December 25th. I don't think Jack and Linton's birthdates are ever mentioned.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dø, a deer, a female deer?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

asecondduck posted:

So this sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole. It looks like Kate did do a SGR guest strip, but it's not about John's art, and it's been black holed; here's where it was: http://scarygoround.com/sgr/ar.php?date=20081007. I was able to find a transcript of it on some strange search engine; you can read the text of the strip here: if you're curious http://www.ohnorobot.com/index.php?s=kate+beaton&Search=Search&comic=257.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120619070106/http://scarygoround.com/sgr/ar.php?date=20081007

e. part 2!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 4, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Other posted:

Mildred's definitely the oldest of the girls, her birthday is in September. Shauna's is in November and in one of the cases she mentions Lottie was born nine months after her. Sonny was born on December 25th. I don't think Jack and Linton's birthdates are ever mentioned.
Huh, so Lottie's birthday is presumably in very late August, since if it was 9 months exactly from Shauna's it would be the following academic year.
Oh my god. :allears:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Robbie and Bobby (Oct 16-17, 2014)

I laughed at these, especially Anubis' face with the thin mints in his arm. :kimchi:

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 5, 2019

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hm, this would have first run in '91 or thereabouts. Presumably it was a "Cassette Player" back then? Or maybe "Compact Disc Player"?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

Pickles

Zits

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I laughed at these, especially Anubis' face with the thin mints in his arm. :kimchi:

Agreed. I’m so happy I found this weird-rear end comic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Didn't Allison update this particular strip, and comment on how out of whack he used to pose his characters?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That's some pretty severe lordosis in the brunette in panel three. :gonk:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Haifisch posted:

That's some pretty severe lordosis in the brunette in panel three. :gonk:

Maybe she's just an Overwatch character.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (July 26-27, 1932)

Peanuts (December 5-6, 1972)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

The cutting edge humor of 2018, only from TomBat Humor Conglomerates.

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 3-4, 1936)

Out Our Way (September 7-9, 1933)

Toonerville Folks (April 15-17, 1916)

On the same day the latest edition of Fontaine Fox's Pancho Villa Babies was published here, word was spreading that Villa was finally dead...which, historical spoiler alert, nope. In the days that followed, rumors behind the rumors suggested that false death reports were being spread by Mexican citizens (and possibly members of the Mexican government) who just wanted this poo poo over with.

Dok's "Getting A Head Start on the Wall Street Anarchists, I See" Duck (December 12, 1912)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set are high rollers.

Working Daze takes some "me time".

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is outdated again.

Cul De Sac dreams big.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Huh, these actually got a chuckle out of me. Shame about the art, though.

...also isn't she supposed to be pregnant?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother GOose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac dreams big.

"So what you're saying then is that we probably won't have to pay much for it."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Veotax posted:

I'm pretty sure only old stubborn people use stone over here in the UK, like Fahrenheit. I was taught grams/kilograms at school, I have no idea how stones work.

For some reason I thought it was some kind of third measurement.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Transmodiar posted:

Didn't Allison update this particular strip, and comment on how out of whack he used to pose his characters?

"No one worked harder than me in 2008 to draw a lady sticking her arse out at an impossible angle"

(Please note that redrawn Fallon is still a ridiculously fit bird, oo-err.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 5, 2019

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 7/15/53

They'll Do It Every Time 6/14/46

Mopsy 6/25/42

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's...it's not an edit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dogs of C-Kennel

Fred Basset

Hägar the Horrible

Judge Parker

Reply All

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Angular Cyrus posted:

They'll Do It Every Time 6/14/46

What are the odds that "John Law" is a cop?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Esplanade posted:

What are the odds that "John Law" is a cop?
I'd say about 300%

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Genuinely not quite sure if that's an incredibly progressive for the 30s look-how-far-we've-come or just the 30s version of that current Pros & Cons arc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: Quantity has a quality all in itself, or Now remember Clem, shoot where he's GOING to be, or Yeah, Sandy, Clem should be ashamed. I've seen dozen of people land that shot in Battlefield One!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner