Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Your numbers are nonsense.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/dv-vd/inc-rev/index-eng.cfm

80th percentile for individuals in Vancouver CMA is $68K. Doubling that for two incomes gets you to $140K. Nowhere near your $240K household income.

That's a tricky thing, includes all taxpayer data (teenagers and university students at home), is based on individual tax income (misses people who leave it in corporations - which doesn't really average out perfectly as very few of today's retirees sheltered a lifetime of income that way. Wasn't necessary before 80s.).

Most egregiously, they entirely exclude a few forms of income like RRSP withdrawals and all capital gains as "one-time". [RRIFs are included, but melting down RRSP before forced conversion is popular among financially savvy]. One time for an individual maybe (but only maybe) but it still should average out across the population over time.

That's all going to lead to certain problems in the top end of the income range, granted those may not quite extend down to the 80th percentile.

My source was Environics' published numbers, which are no doubt questionable in their own way re: not actually reaching poor people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

James Baud posted:

That's a tricky thing, includes all taxpayer data (teenagers and university students at home), is based on individual tax income (misses people who leave it in corporations - which doesn't really average out perfectly as very few of today's retirees sheltered a lifetime of income that way. Wasn't necessary before 80s.).

Most egregiously, they entirely exclude a few forms of income like RRSP withdrawals and all capital gains as "one-time". [RRIFs are included, but melting down RRSP before forced conversion is popular among financially savvy]. One time for an individual maybe (but only maybe) but it still should average out across the population over time.

That's all going to lead to certain problems in the top end of the income range, granted those may not quite extend down to the 80th percentile.

My source was Environics' published numbers, which are no doubt questionable in their own way re: not actually reaching poor people.

You are correct that the inclusion criteria for a population are very important. It's one of the reasons why these numbers are so fraught with problems. However, notwithstanding that, and even given the caveats you've offered about other factors (which I would agree are legitimate), your estimates are still too high. I don't know anything about Environics, so can't critique their methods, or their agenda.

I would submit that census data is as close to the gold standard as it gets for this sort of data, and is way better methodologically than a poll using self-report data from a research firm. Sample size alone the census rocks it. And as a population health researcher, full enrolment (or as close as is going to be achieved) is way better than a sample of any sort.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You are correct that the inclusion criteria for a population are very important. It's one of the reasons why these numbers are so fraught with problems. However, notwithstanding that, and even given the caveats you've offered about other factors (which I would agree are legitimate), your estimates are still too high. I don't know anything about Environics, so can't critique their methods, or their agenda.

I would submit that census data is as close to the gold standard as it gets for this sort of data, and is way better methodologically than a poll using self-report data from a research firm. Sample size alone the census rocks it. And as a population health researcher, full enrolment (or as close as is going to be achieved) is way better than a sample of any sort.

Agreed very much re: full population sample being the gold standard, but we definitely do have to be aware of its limitations on a topic like this.

Another consideration I'd overlooked is the satellite families kicking around where most of the household income is offshore. This is a bit stale (data from beginning of July) but had 3,241 of them paying the speculation tax with tens of thousands of homes yet to file. This (Feb 2019) goes to some length trying to estimate numbers but mostly acknowledges lack of real data.

Census 2016 had 960,890 households in Metro Vancouver CMA, so if we're definitely above 3% just from the early speculation tax data (nevermind evasion or families where the Canadian residents earned enough to owe no speculation tax) it feels reasonably safe to say we're talking about at least 4-5% of households.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 2, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

half cocaine posted:

Do your friends all have defined benefit pensions? Or is the theory that they don't need to save any money because their 2 million dollar houses will be worth 8 million in 30 years?

Regardless of their situation, there's a lot of people out there expecting to use their current home to fuel their retirement. Not sure who is going to buy all of them, but you know. I'm sure someone will.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Regardless of their situation, there's a lot of people out there expecting to use their current home to fuel their retirement. Not sure who is going to buy all of them, but you know. I'm sure someone will.

Those people will be screwed. Especially when Brian Day wins his court challenge and private health care has an avenue in this country, and the boomers need to get money out to pay for their health care services, otherwise they won't get them in a timely way. If anyone thinks that the current level of expenditure in the health care system will be adequate to the task of looking after the boomer generation with fewer and fewer able to pay taxes, they're kidding themselves.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I work in a sort-of healthcare adjacent field. We did some forecasting on demand for our services over the next 30 years. We are expecting it to grow almost 3% every year until 2049. It really is a tidal wave of grey and lawd it's comin'!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
we have to get this rampant senior inflation under control

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Those people will be screwed. Especially when Brian Day wins his court challenge and private health care has an avenue in this country, and the boomers need to get money out to pay for their health care services, otherwise they won't get them in a timely way. If anyone thinks that the current level of expenditure in the health care system will be adequate to the task of looking after the boomer generation with fewer and fewer able to pay taxes, they're kidding themselves.

I assume that millennials and zoomers will be conscripted into the newly formed Personal Support Worker wing of the Armed Forces and we'll be wiping asses during our tours of duty.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Children of Men really has aged well and did a good job of nailing the right feel for the near future we are now plunging into.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Children of Men really has aged well and did a good job of nailing the right feel for the near future we are now plunging into.

It's one of those instances where the movie adaptation is far better than the book. Doesn't hurt that it's on point in terms of prescience and cinematography, probably the best movie of its decade.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

I've been saying this for years and it's only now that people outside of these forums are starting to believe me

the only unrealistic part of the movie is the hopeful ending

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm doing my part!

<Stomps on bugs>

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

this bit is my jam lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9J-dxEgY4

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just reading from the first Vancouver archives, talking about the 1929 property crash:

quote:

These personal tragedies have not been without their compensating benefits. It is by such
personal misfortunes that Vancouver has, in part, retrieved the stupid improvidence which failed
to reserve, from a vast tract of empty wilderness, adequate areas for churches, parks, schools
and public playing grounds. The temporary affluence of many land owners was false; the value
did not exist; the figures were visionary; their perspective had no more substance than foam on
beer.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just reading from the first Vancouver archives, talking about the 1929 property crash:

Going forward the housing file will disrupt synergies between influencers and job creators #blessed

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
More Than Half of Canadas Q3 GDP Gain Was From Realtor Commissions

ThisIsFine.jpeg and the country is absolutely not on the brink of economic collapse should we see '08 repeat (the beginnings of which we're watching rumble through the global economy already). :downs:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Rime posted:

More Than Half of Canadas Q3 GDP Gain Was From Realtor Commissions

ThisIsFine.jpeg and the country is absolutely not on the brink of economic collapse should we see '08 repeat (the beginnings of which we're watching rumble through the global economy already). :downs:

This is horrifying. I want a Potemkin economy for Christmas...oh wait, I have one!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But you also have tar sands.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dreylad posted:

I assume that there will be an initial glut of overpriced housing supply and then small 5-10% cuts will give way to panic selling. There can't be enough demand to support all this poo poo, especially in places nobody wants to live in.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Femtosecond posted:

Maybe around 2015 or however many years ago when I started reading this thread, I fully bought into the notion that Vancouver didn't have a 'real' economy and was just a bubble of FIRE endlessly selling houses back and forth and jr miner grifters, however, in the last few years it feels more and more that Vancouver is legitimately developing an economy of real value.

10,000 people earning 6 figure salaries is a lot of real estate money.

If WeWork or some other sham company was moving into this space that'd be one thing, but Amazon isn't some fly by night operation that's gonna go away. People may have finally clued into the fact that Hootsuite was all hype, but aside from that tech companies like Microsoft and Kabam have quietly become big operations employing hundreds of people. Add onto this we have Lululemon building a big new global HQ in the False Creek Flats.

All this means that while back in 2016 the bubble may have been built by yolo hype, helocs and foreign cash, we're transitioning to a point where there's actually gonna be enough high income earners around to justify the lofty condo prices that we've become used to.

I see this more about "companies taking advantage of horrendously low wages" than anything glowing about Vancouver.

I mean the city literally used "we have the shittiest wages of anywhere in the US and Canada" as their main selling point when trying to get Amazon HQ2.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I see this more about "companies taking advantage of horrendously low wages" than anything glowing about Vancouver.

I mean the city literally used "we have the shittiest wages of anywhere in the US and Canada" as their main selling point when trying to get Amazon HQ2.

Without a doubt this trend of companies opening up shop in Vancouver is at its core part of a broader trend of diversification away from SF/Seattle for economic reasons. Even in the USA these big companies are looking at opening up shop in Austin and further flung places to get away from insane SF salaries. Vancouver and other Canadian cities have this advantage as well, but on top of that the weaker Canadian dollar in recent years has made Canada even more attractive.

Regardless of the intention for foreign tech companies to open up shop, the end result is the most relevant thing, which is a big influx of jobs which may pay awful in a Silicon Valley context, but pay great in a historical Vancouver context. Suddenly there's thousands of more people making six figure salaries with downtown core jobs that can legitimately afford the lofty condo and home prices that we've been previously considering as absurd and disconnected from the local economy and local incomes.

Zerbra23
Aug 1, 2016
Canadian debt is pretty awful. Went to Uni for like half a semester and they're taking $67 dollars from me at the start of every month. Like, student loan debts are pretty much the biggest source of debt in Canadian. That, and possibly credit card debit.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Zerbra23 posted:

Canadian debt is pretty awful. Went to Uni for like half a semester and they're taking $67 dollars from me at the start of every month. Like, student loan debts are pretty much the biggest source of debt in Canadian. That, and possibly credit card debit.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/05/canada-economy-household-debt-how-big-the-problem/

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

quote:

It is time for me to conclude. If Shakespeare were writing today, he might say that our financial system gives Canadians more choices than ever in deciding whether to be, or not to be, in debt.

*worlds longest fart noise*

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Without a doubt this trend of companies opening up shop in Vancouver is at its core part of a broader trend of diversification away from SF/Seattle for economic reasons. Even in the USA these big companies are looking at opening up shop in Austin and further flung places to get away from insane SF salaries. Vancouver and other Canadian cities have this advantage as well, but on top of that the weaker Canadian dollar in recent years has made Canada even more attractive.

Regardless of the intention for foreign tech companies to open up shop, the end result is the most relevant thing, which is a big influx of jobs which may pay awful in a Silicon Valley context, but pay great in a historical Vancouver context. Suddenly there's thousands of more people making six figure salaries with downtown core jobs that can legitimately afford the lofty condo and home prices that we've been previously considering as absurd and disconnected from the local economy and local incomes.

Sadly, I think your analysis is on the mark. Our only real benefits here are cheap wages. That said, six figures doesn't buy you anything here either.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
just poppin in to say you're a fuckin idiot if you said TJs does bad chicken at that price:

you're wrong, and that's 4 thighs for 9 bucks

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This video is pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpIM73V6lfY&t=22s

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zerbra23 posted:

Hmm, I would have thought it was mortgages and then HELOCs, given real estate prices and how people have been cashing out equity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JawKnee posted:

just poppin in to say you're a fuckin idiot if you said TJs does bad chicken at that price:

you're wrong, and that's 4 thighs for 9 bucks

that has bones in it, so it's bad chicken

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

youre bad chicken

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I would have thought it was mortgages and then HELOCs, given real estate prices and how people have been cashing out equity.

Yeah, most discussions of household debt don't even mention student loans.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4222534/canadian-student-loans-government-interest/
https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/05/canada-economy-household-debt-how-big-the-problem/

But apparently the total Canadian household debt is just over $2 trillion, while the total student loan debt is around $28billion. So student loans account for less than 2% of household debt.

Student debt does account for about one in six bankruptcies in Ontario, though:

https://www.hoyes.com/press/joe-debtor/the-student-debtor

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, but bankruptcies are about net worth more than the presence or scale of debt. Even people with substantially positive net worth can have as substantial amounts of debt.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Canadian student loan debt is like the least bad debt you can have though. The interest is so low, and the repayment terms so favourable it's almost a bad choice not to take out student loans

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 5, 2019

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Arivia posted:

that has bones in it, so it's bad chicken

Nah, it's boneless

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I assume that there will be an initial glut of overpriced housing supply and then small 5-10% cuts will give way to panic selling. There can't be enough demand to support all this poo poo, especially in places nobody wants to live in.

What do you mean you don't want to buy my 8 bedroom estate in Coburg?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yall ready for even more wealthy tears?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-s-speculation-tax-increased-to-2-1.5391309

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

With an exemption for people whose properties are only accessible by water, cool aka a Bowen Island cabin exemption.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ARACHTION posted:

With an “exemption for people whose properties are only accessible by water”, cool aka a Bowen Island cabin exemption.

I can see people arguing "I drive over Burrard inlet/Fraser River therefore I am exempt"

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Bowen Island exemption is kinda irritating though mostly because Bowen insists on staying a sparsely populated resort town, when it's close enough to Downtown Vancouver and has good enough public transit connections that it should really be developed like any other Metro Vancouver town.

In general the exemption for land only accessible by water is whatever fine because really we're talking about a handful of properties on Passage Island, Gambier, Indian Arm and Belcarra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Does "only accessible by water" include Vancouver Island? Or is it for houses that don't have roads going to them and are literally only accessible by boat?