Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

What's up with the UI icons for points of interest (like crashed freighters, manufacturing facilities etc)? Sometimes I'll log back in and a bunch of them have disappeared, other times it seems like they should disappear (so I've cleared a crashed freighter site, for example) and they just hang around?

Is there a way to mark things so I can find them later? I guess I can use base computers, but is there a specific device you can build for marking locations?

Also, I found a new ship that needed repairing. Jumped in and started using it, but then my previous ship just...disappeared. If I go into the quick menu I can still see it, but it's greyed out. Any way to get it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

Is there a way to mark things so I can find them later? I guess I can use base computers, but is there a specific device you can build for marking locations?

Also, I found a new ship that needed repairing. Jumped in and started using it, but then my previous ship just...disappeared. If I go into the quick menu I can still see it, but it's greyed out. Any way to get it back?

There's a save beacon you can put down, but it might only show up if you're on the same planet / system. Sometimes dropping a base computer and teleporter is better if you want something more permanent. Teleporters don't need power to warp to them.

I see some search results saying you might need to have launch fuel in the active ship in order to summon the old ship. Otherwise you might have to wait until you get a freighter and it'll show up on there.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

What's up with the UI icons for points of interest (like crashed freighters, manufacturing facilities etc)? Sometimes I'll log back in and a bunch of them have disappeared, other times it seems like they should disappear (so I've cleared a crashed freighter site, for example) and they just hang around?

That's been buggy for a while, particularly crashed freighters staying after they should. I don't know of any workarounds, but perhaps someone else will chime in and help us both.

quote:

The Save Beacon is specifically meant for this. It won't show up outside of the system, but it will show up as on the UI as an OFF PLANET item from any other planet in system.

I've taken to keeping a text file with some simple notes about interesting places to manage finding stuff after I leave a system.

quote:

As was said, it'll show up in your freighter hangar once you get that. It sounds like it either didn't have repaired launch thrusters or they weren't fuelled up enough.

That said, you should get your free freighter right away. There's no reason to hold off, and it's super useful for a lot of stuff, even if you are still poking around your starting system.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I get a freighter? I'm still only in the second system from following the story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I get a freighter? I'm still only in the second system from following the story.

You get a freighter around system 5. It's the normal way to access your alternate ships so once that happens the greyed-out ship will probably reappear.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

SeXReX posted:

Is there a way to play "normal" in vr or is it stuck being a half baked "experience"

I just wanna play with kb and mouse with depth perception loving hell

When I first started VR NMS I hated the movement, until I discovered you could walk and turn normally once you changed the config settings. Why they defaulted it to teleport-style movement I have no idea.

If you just hate using the controllers in general then that won't help of course. I find the VR controllers great - even flight once I got used to it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Uppa posted:

Why they defaulted it to teleport-style movement I have no idea.

Smooth movement in VR is more demanding on the player, every game defaults to the least barfy options if they can.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

VR flight controls are a bit too sensitive but I like them all the same. Once you get the hang of it, especially with a nimble ship, you can pull off all kinds of cool maneuvers. Doing barrel rolls still gives me that great roller coaster-feeling even though I now have an iron constitution when it comes to VR and nothing makes me nauseous even a bit. The bubble-dome of exotic ships is really cool in VR too.

The Nexus is still a horrid mess on the base PS4 in VR though, especially with multiplayer enabled, the framerate is all over the drat place.

I also discovered a weird dupe glitch; accessing storage containers on the freighter let me copy random items from my inventory when I tried to transfer things. Not sure how that happened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sorry, yes. It's not part of the story, so I won't bother spoiling: once you start warping to new systems, after a few warps (five sounds accurate but I don't know if it's guaranteed, but don't worry, it'll happen), you'll pop into the middle of a space battle between a freighter and some pirates.

After you kill the pirates, you'll get a communication from the freighter captain, who invites you on board and literally gives you his freighter for free. It's got a random class and cargo slots and a place where you can keep all your ships and a place where you can build a little mini-base. Any crashed ship you claim will show up there, as will any one that you purchase. You can then swap between them just by getting in and out.

Since it's not part of the storyline, you could craft up some warp cells and just start jumping until it happens, then use the convenient portal at the station to zip right back to where you were. Once you're back, you can summon the freighter into the system for free and repair the ship from the freighter docking bay. Oh, and as long as you don't have 6 ships, various NPCs will dock with your freighter, just like they do at the station.

If you keep working the storyline, you'll get the freighter eventually as you move between systems, but you don't have to wait if you don't want.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone know a good way to get the full hazardous environment milestone? It's the only one I need for platinum and it's super slow to get. The best way I've found is to just find a planet with harmful weather and hang out in a cave or something but they also say to leave the PS4 running overnight for it which seems kind of lame but is that really the only way aside from playing the game for dozens of hours to get it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes. It's supposed to be earned over dozens of hours so lamely gaming the system is the only way to get it quicker.

A base will also serve the same function as the cave if you just want a place you can teleport back to and idle for a while to make progress on it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dang, okay. Weird they’d make one trophy so time consuming to get since every other one you get just from playing the game.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It wouldn't surprise me if it was an artifact from a plan to have extreme planets either be way more lucrative to spend time on, or to have necessary resources only spawn there, so players would be compelled to both seek them out as well as stay there long enough to get the low level milestones.

As it is, I sat on an extreme Sentinel planet long enough to get the A+48 hauler I wanted (built a base where I could see the landing pad and chilled waiting) as well as did all of the Nautilon bullshit on an extreme low temp planet and I'm only at 6 stars.

I've already spent way more time on them than normal gameplay would possibly ask, and they all stopped being dangerous once I got more sodium than I could use stashed in my cargo, so they're marginally annoying at best now.

Next time I've got a big haul of goop to refine to nanites, I think I'll set up a temporary base on one and idle my way to finishing that milestone

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah, :thatsnms: for sure.

I earned mine through setting up a permanent base on one and just getting the time up whenever I was refining or picking up base missions. I have played for dozens of hours though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got that trophy in the launch game before any of the major overhaul patches were out :suicide:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

I got that trophy in the launch game before any of the major overhaul patches were out :suicide:

Same.
I also did that on a planet that had aggressive sentinels, pillars of good and piles of pearls lying around.
I regret nothing.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

haveblue posted:

Same here. I went to a radiation world and burrowed so deep into the ground that it wasn't hurting me, then watched poo poo on Netflix, checking back every now and then to make sure I wasn't dead.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Why do some of my weapons say "50%" and others 100%? What does this mean?

And how do translators actually work? Do I need to do something with them or is it passive? I got the Artemis translator from the story, but I can't see it actually doing anything? Should I scrap that and upgrade to a higher level translator?

Also is there a way I can navigate the galaxy map to view different planets within a system? When I try to move on it, it just shifts me to a different system but I can't see a way to look around the system I'm currently in?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The percentages are most likely your weapon charge, which will slowly deplete with use. Mining beam requires carbon/phosphorus to charge and the Terrain beam requires Silicate/Ferrite. They're both incredibly common materials and you will basically never have to worry about running out of them.

I'm not sure about the Artemis Translator, but the regular crafted ones work by picking X number of random words in any alien dialogue and temporarily translating them for you - all three versions stack but they pick from all the words in the sentence, not just the ones you don't know. The more words you know the less useful they are, as they also don't make it easier to learn words. Basically they're intended for people starting out to still be able to guesstimate the answers to the now-very-rare dialogue challenges.

No, the galaxy map is just for moving between systems. Going into the Discoveries tab on the pause menu is an easier way of seeing the system in more detail, though it'll just display faded out entries for the planets you haven't visited. If you're trying to figure out where they are to go to them you basically have to navigate solely through the radar in your spaceship.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

The percentages are most likely your weapon charge, which will slowly deplete with use.

I thought it was that but there is a seperate ammo counter? This percentage is just underneath the ammo counter.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Ugh, it's so hard to pick one exocraft to lavish all my nanites on. I love all of them, but I do have a soft spot for the Colossus because it's basically a sci-fi pickup truck.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah but can it get sick air

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I thought it was that but there is a seperate ammo counter? This percentage is just underneath the ammo counter.

Are you confusing your main weapon with your secondary weapon, maybe? If you have for example a Javelin as main weapon and a grenade launcher as secondary, you'd see a percentage for the Javelin on the right and the ammo counter for the grenades on the left.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah but can it get sick air

But sci-fi pickkkk uppppp

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I use the Pilgrim because sci-fi motorbike.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

But sci-fi pickkkk uppppp
it's more of a sci-fi forklift and about as dexterous

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I like the roamer because vroom vroom

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
It does, infact, produce a most excellent vroom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't use the colossus extensively because I wasn't sure what its purpose was. The roamer lets you cover solid ground fast, the hovercraft lets you cover water fast, the colossus... lets you mine a lot? Maybe that's important if you get way more into base building than I ever did.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

haveblue posted:

I didn't use the colossus extensively because I wasn't sure what its purpose was. The roamer lets you cover solid ground fast, the hovercraft lets you cover water fast, the colossus... lets you mine a lot? Maybe that's important if you get way more into base building than I ever did.

It would make a little sense if it wasn't trivial to summon your ship and you needed extra inventory, but between that and the freighter, it's kind of a victim of the QoL improvements they've made.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As someone who just grinded through the Atlas Path what rewards do the other paths provide? I'm sixty-something milestones in and I've maxed out the tech-trees in the space anomaly. There doesn't seem to be many carrots dangling in front of me.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Hey, I did some googling and I couldn't find anything up to date so I thought I'd ask here: I'm dreaming up my first large base (a big ol' pyramid because I wanna build a big ominous pyramid IN SPACE) and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knew of any guides on building large bases?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You can't really build it in space, you have to build it on a planet.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Sorry I wasn't clear, that was just a bad joke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

As someone who just grinded through the Atlas Path what rewards do the other paths provide? I'm sixty-something milestones in and I've maxed out the tech-trees in the space anomaly. There doesn't seem to be many carrots dangling in front of me.
The other path is more of a story-line about the universe. I think you get another Space Seed-like reward at the end of it, but not much else.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Two probably-obvious points: the edges of your base radiate out from where you place your base computer, so for a large base put it roughly where your base's centre will be. While there is an indicator for terrain edits they have a tendency to undo themselves seemingly at random, so don't set your heart on a base that involves lots of digging.

Also you'll probably end up gravitating to the basic geometric shapes for much of your pyramid, but be aware that the game has three (I think) types of base parts, and while you can put them together they don't snap together especially neatly.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hey, I did some googling and I couldn't find anything up to date so I thought I'd ask here: I'm dreaming up my first large base (a big ol' pyramid because I wanna build a big ominous pyramid IN SPACE) and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knew of any guides on building large bases?

I just tore down my gigantic step pyramid because I hit the overall build limit (again), so I can offer some advice:

If you want to be able to upload your base, it needs to be 3000 pieces or less, so if you're going for a megastructure, think about ways to minimize how many pieces you use and delete pieces that may not be visible, even if you don't care about recycling the materials.

There's also an overall limit on number of items across all bases, regardless of whether they're on the same planet or even the same system, so factor that in as well.

Otherwise, be careful if you want to go underground. It'll save terrain edits now (finally), but there's a max limit there as well, and if you go over, your old edits start disappearing.

Beyond that, I had to turn up base complexity in my game settings to prevent parts from not loading in until I got close, and I occasionally get framerate issues moving quickly across the outside of my larger bases, but I'm on a lower end machine so ymmv

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sorry I wasn't clear, that was just a bad joke.

I too was joking.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you actually can build your pyramid in space (or at least so high it the upper atmosphere that it's the same thing) if you have the patience and energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned you can get stuck inside your freighter if you happen to reach it in impulse speed at just the right (wrong) angle

Then you can just slowly watch as your shield depletes and you presumably die (I reloaded my last save instead of waiting to see what happens after my shields collapse).

Some other funny bugs:

-Every so often, going through a teleporter launches the wrong interaction: I had the trade interface open for example, in another case I learned a new word by teleporting.

-All my ships and my multitool tend to lose their custom names every second patch.

- Sometimes, when my PS4 loses network connection, the game hangs up on the warning screen and doesn't allow me to leave it

This game. :shepface:

On the other hand, the broken health station in my main base suddenly started working. That bug drove me nuts!

Edit:

By the way, how do I get the blueprint for the freighter matter beam? I don't have it and no-one in the anomaly sells it. It's not that big of a deal since I can just summon my freighter wherever I go, but sometimes I just want to send something to my freighter instead of collecting something from it and then I get sad because I remember it doesn't work anymore.