Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crossposting

https://twitter.com/brockmclaughlin/status/1202368305702621185

https://twitter.com/egebamyeeti/status/1202390713255641090

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I, too, like to permanently caress my body with fleeting images for social media cred. Will I regret this in less than 12 months? lmao

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

like I can’t even go through with getting an imperial symbol tattoo and i’ve had this handle for the majority of my life. over 20 years. people are dumb as poo poo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wanted to get the Imperial Wheel in my 20's too because it's a cool design and I like star wars.

I am glad I didn't both because I've very much fallen out of love with the idea of marking my body with pop culture ephemera, and because nowadays with real world fash resurgent people justifiably look at potentially cryptofash symbols with a skeptical eye thinking you migh be obliquely signaling CHUDdom.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/acarboni/status/1201981921758040064

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

who da fucks talking poo poo bout baby yoda?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wanted to get the Imperial Wheel in my 20's too because it's a cool design and I like star wars.

I am glad I didn't both because I've very much fallen out of love with the idea of marking my body with pop culture ephemera, and because nowadays with real world fash resurgent people justifiably look at potentially cryptofash symbols with a skeptical eye thinking you migh be obliquely signaling CHUDdom.

You can sidestep chuddom by being kind to people and not being a chud.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Rocksicles posted:

You can sidestep chuddom by being kind to people and not being a chud.

I think they're talking about knee jerk first impressions and honestly neo fashies can be nice to your face in public, that's how we underestimated their numbers pre 2016.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I mostly really liked this episode, but what was the deal with him thinking he could leave baby Yoda in some random village and nobody would find it? Did he just forget that a bunch of people have the fobs?

The bandit AT-ST was dope. I love seeing old Imperial tech in the hands of galactic scumbags.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I think they're talking about knee jerk first impressions and honestly neo fashies can be nice to your face in public, that's how we underestimated their numbers pre 2016.

Anyone who doesn't know what the imperial symbol is might just be a fascist anyway

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
CHUDs also think they're the rebel alliance.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

JBP posted:

CHUDs also think they're the rebel alliance.

Makes sense. The Rebel Alliance are the CHUDs of the Galaxy.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

These continue to be gr8

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

drunkill posted:

These continue to be gr8

Amazing

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Weedle posted:

I mostly really liked this episode, but what was the deal with him thinking he could leave baby Yoda in some random village and nobody would find it? Did he just forget that a bunch of people have the fobs?

The bandit AT-ST was dope. I love seeing old Imperial tech in the hands of galactic scumbags.

I just assume that the fobs have a range limit, maybe planet wide or solar system wide, so that a bounty hunter has to have half a clue where to look and Mando just figured a backwater mudball with a technological cap of wicker weaving was far enough off the beaten path for the baby to be safe. Plus he was there for at least a month or two with no trouble beyond the raiders, so his guard was down.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

drunkill posted:

These continue to be gr8

Source? Is there one for each ep? Because :allears:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I have enjoyed every episode so far and I really appreciate how they immediately establish 1) who this guy is 2) why he's hanging out with a baby yoda 3) why he's running 4) why he can't ever stop running.

Also my favorite thing from the last episode was the actress playing the widow very clearly decided to bump the implied sexual tension to "gently caress it, I am the hottest loving person in this village and all the other men are very obviously brain damaged by too much shrimp consumption. Bone me. Right now."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does that guy think people usually look at their arms while jacking off?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

All I know is there but for the grace of God go I, had I gotten that tattoo of The Noid drinking a Zima back in '95.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
What about my Denver the Dinosaur drinking a New Coke?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

I just assume that the fobs have a range limit, maybe planet wide or solar system wide, so that a bounty hunter has to have half a clue where to look and Mando just figured a backwater mudball with a technological cap of wicker weaving was far enough off the beaten path for the baby to be safe. Plus he was there for at least a month or two with no trouble beyond the raiders, so his guard was down.

The range limit on the fobs is plot-determined. Kind of like how fast warp speed is

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

All I know is there but for the grace of God go I, had I gotten that tattoo of The Noid drinking a Zima back in '95.

That'd probably have gone full circle to being a 'cool' tattoo by now.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

zoux posted:

The range limit on the fobs is plot-determined. Kind of like how fast warp speed is

I don't think it is. When the Mando first gets his baby Yoda contract, they gave him the fob along with intel on the target's last known location. Even the Trandoshans that ambush him were shown eavesdropping earlier in the cantina. And in the last episode, it was immediately preceded by a scene where he blurts out "how much noise they made a few weeks back" taking down the AT-ST. From everything we've seen, the fobs are pretty much useless unless you already have some general idea of where to look.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does that guy think people usually look at their arms while jacking off?
I took it more as the tattoo repelling any potential partners.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are we ready for another weekly cycle of Mandalorian posting tomorrow?

Day 1: “Holy poo poo that was amazing!”
Day 2: “We’ll actually it was dumb because tactical stuff and they should’ve done this.”
Day 3: “Holy poo poo new Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 4: “This is the worst Star Wars ever since The Last Jedi. Here’s my 10 page essay on why Last Jedi is awful.”
Day 5: “More Baby Yoda memes!”
Day 6 and 7: “Here’s all this non Disney canon former expanded universe stuff that they should incorporate because”

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

What about my Denver the Dinosaur drinking a New Coke?

Just give us a Mandalorian trying to drink a Bud through his helmet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Day 2: “We’ll actually it was dumb because tactical stuff and they should’ve done this.”
Day 4: “This is the worst Star Wars ever since The Last Jedi. Here’s my 10 page essay on why Last Jedi is awful.”
Day 6 and 7: “Here’s all this non Disney canon former expanded universe stuff that they should incorporate because”

i hope a rancor steps on some people

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Unsubscribing two days after airtime every week is SOP for some TVIV threads.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

In 15 short days we'll also be arguing about if the new movie sucks or not for the rest of our lives

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I keep waiting for the Mandalorian to assemble his ragtag team of gold-hearted mercs and it keeps not happening, so maybe it'll happen tomorrow.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

This is the way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

just another posted:

I keep waiting for the Mandalorian to assemble his ragtag team of gold-hearted mercs and it keeps not happening, so maybe it'll happen tomorrow.

Just made me realize that this is practically Eisenhorn already. Although if the Eisenhorn show is half as good I'll be very happy.

Taika Waititi owns and IG-11 owns so I'm expecting him to become a party member, but then I guess this show is just full of amazing actors playing what are probably side roles where we won't see them very often (Werner Herzog, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito)

So its hard to know what direction this is going. It could be Lone Wolf & Cub with Mandalorian and Baby Yoda and each week they just have a different adventure and meet new people. Or it could be that he ends up swinging back around and Herzog or Esposito become a regular villain. Not sure which I'd prefer honestly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

Just made me realize that this is practically Eisenhorn already. Although if the Eisenhorn show is half as good I'll be very happy.

Taika Waititi owns and IG-11 owns so I'm expecting him to become a party member, but then I guess this show is just full of amazing actors playing what are probably side roles where we won't see them very often (Werner Herzog, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito)

So its hard to know what direction this is going. It could be Lone Wolf & Cub with Mandalorian and Baby Yoda and each week they just have a different adventure and meet new people. Or it could be that he ends up swinging back around and Herzog or Esposito become a regular villain. Not sure which I'd prefer honestly.

One indication that I really like this show that I wouldn't mind either of those plots or something completely different (Mando and Cara hook up to kill the poo poo out of some "Trumpist" New Republicans).

I don't think we'll see IG-11 again, but we might see IG-12. Didn't Mando blast the hell out of IG-11 in a terminal way in the first episode?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Everyone posted:

One indication that I really like this show that I wouldn't mind either of those plots or something completely different (Mando and Cara hook up to kill the poo poo out of some "Trumpist" New Republicans).

I don't think we'll see IG-11 again, but we might see IG-12. Didn't Mando blast the hell out of IG-11 in a terminal way in the first episode?

I guess they could have Waititi voice the whole line of them

I was thinking they could have IG-88 show up, as he's a droid he doesn't really have a life span and could easily be alive during The Mandalorian (or even Last Jedi) and since he's a droid you don't have to worry about casting someone with the same appearance

Although I kinda like that they made it IG-11 instead.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm here for the baby yoda memes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

This is the way

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

10 Beers posted:

I took it more as the tattoo repelling any potential partners.

I thought it meant that you'd have Baby Yoda watching you the whole time.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mulva posted:

Well that's sort of what you want a flagship show for a new service to be, which was the part being discussed. Amazingly enough popularity is important when you are specifically having a discussion about what what will sell your service. A sold, well executed basic story with high production values and a weaponized mascot is basically exactly what you want to sell your new service, not someone going "What if we made the Wire, but Star Wars? What if Jedis hosed?" and failing miserably.

Sorry to revive a conversation from a few days ago, I just wanted to respond that I wasn’t really questioning it as a business decision but a creative one. This is the best they could come up with to kick off Disney+ and that’s a shame. I think you know that nobody would suggest that Star Wars should do a Wire-esque show, that’s just being silly. The Mandalorian as a story pitch is fine, it’s actually quite good, it’s just lacking in execution. The scripts needed a couple more passes from writers who care about basic character development, that’s all. Star Wars at its best relies on the fundamentals of traditional storytelling, it’s why the OT is so lasting. It doesn’t break new ground but it gets the things right that people really respond to and remember. A loud unison squee over how cute baby Yoda is is fun, but it’s a fleeting pleasure. It’s a series of memes before people move on to the next thing. The Mandalorian will be forgotten a few months after it ends unless it somehow pulls out some great character work in the second half. I’ll hold out hope it does but I’m not going to watch the rest until the season is done and I hear something that contradicts my doubts about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

PureRok posted:

I thought it meant that you'd have Baby Yoda watching you the whole time.

Try to imagine the view from a female partner.