Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Regalingualius posted:

Considering the stinger for this episode outright invokes "a storm is coming", I get the feeling that the finale is going to be either Morty finally making a stand for himself against Rick (at the worst possible time, of course), or one of the loose ends from earlier seasons (Evil Morty or Tammy and Phoenixperson, just off the top of my head).

Definitely feels like Evil Morty is going somewhere. We've had too many callbacks to it across seasons.

Evil Morty somehow taking over and proving to Rick that Morty isn't incompetent and thus changing their relationship forever could be a thing? But I also don't see Harmon doing anything quite that simple, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
How many seasons are there gonna be? Expecting Rick to grow anything but glacially seems unrealistic.

Maybe Rick is an incredibly flawed human being like the rest of us.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

100 years

rick and morty dot com

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They've got a contracted order for 67 episodes inclusive of next week's premiere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Next week's premiere of what

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a new episode

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

was there a new episode on sunday or no? I dont see it on adultswim so just wanted to make sure there was a break for the holiday

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They took a break.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Now is a good time to rewatch all 3 new ones!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I just watched the first episode of the new season and its like watching your dad try and walk back 30 years of casual racism and you're gritting your teeth because... its better but its not good and they're like 'Liberalism, good stuff amirite' and you're like rubbing your loving temples like... "I guess??"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Motherfucker posted:

I just watched the first episode of the new season and its like watching your dad try and walk back 30 years of casual racism and you're gritting your teeth because... its better but its not good and they're like 'Liberalism, good stuff amirite' and you're like rubbing your loving temples like... "I guess??"

What? I don’t understand how it’s anything like this.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Nah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Motherfucker posted:

You're probably going to want to explain your reasoning if you actually want to get any productive discussion out of this.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The messages I took from the first episode were largely "we're just trying to make what we think is a good show, same as we always did" but also "gently caress off alt-right, we never tried to pander to you assholes"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"gently caress off alt-right, we never tried to pander to you assholes"

where did you get this last bit?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

Probably all the fascism and Nazis

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

e: nevermind, I get it now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The joke of course being that Rick goes from shocked and disgusted to preferring suicide to working with Nazis to eventually just giving in to get out alive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Really not subtle enough, but hey. Even with Nazi teddybear planet being a war-torn hellhole. (because fascism literally always ends in a smoking crater)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

It's dumb that you're getting dogpiled, because yeah. It was exactly this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It's dumb that you're getting dogpiled, because yeah. It was exactly this.

Um, you'd have to make the case that it had anything to walk back except having some dumb fans. I mean, one of the most distinctive episodes of last season was about capitalism being bad for everyone and worse for specific people due to racism, and the end of the season before it ended with all Rick's friends being killed for associating with a space-indigenous "terrorist."

"This has to be bad because it feels like transgression" is an extremely liberal take as well. Usually there is an actual transgression, and it's being to the left of the currently dominate liberal ideology.

I'll save you the time on these two: Harmon is probably a kinda poo poo person, but his only specific crime lead to an actual apology which was accepted. Roiland likes to joke about pedophilia and it's almost certainly because he was abused.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

paradoxGentleman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgj7NGFzFlA

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Bust Rodd posted:

The joke of course being that Rick goes from shocked and disgusted to preferring suicide to working with Nazis to eventually just giving in to get out alive

A pithy summation of how people cope with the rise of fascism in their society.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I'll save you the time on these two: Harmon is probably a kinda poo poo person, but his only specific crime lead to an actual apology which was accepted. Roiland likes to joke about pedophilia and it's almost certainly because he was abused.

Was anyone else skeeved out by the jokes about sjws and the female broadcaster randomly claiming to be getting gaslit to win an argument? It would normally just be eye rolling but considering Harmon....

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Xun posted:

Was anyone else skeeved out by the jokes about sjws and the female broadcaster randomly claiming to be getting gaslit to win an argument? It would normally just be eye rolling but considering Harmon....

You read that scene as her claiming that she was getting gaslit to win an argument?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Xun posted:

Is that the joke where the punchline is the broadcaster immediately getting gaslit by the guy next to her?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

gaslighting isn't real, you made it up because you're crazy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honesty I was originally feeling almost the same way about the Holophobic running gags in Ep5.1 but upon a rewatch they all, uh, landed better because I was ready for them and actually get like they were funnier the second time.

I can’t really explain why but I was initially upset about them, then rewatched it and realized I was being silly.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Bust Rodd posted:

Honesty I was originally feeling almost the same way about the Holophobic running gags in Ep5.1 but upon a rewatch they all, uh, landed better because I was ready for them and actually get like they were funnier the second time.

I can’t really explain why but I was initially upset about them, then rewatched it and realized I was being silly.

I still kind get weird vibes from it, mostly just feels like Harmon taking potshots at twitter/tumbler kids taking up causes.

"A hologram asking a person to 'check their privilege' over seeming harmless comments" sure seems like stuff he rolls his eyes at on HarmonTown alot.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
It was a plot line in Red Dwarf years ago. Several plot lines actually. Or maybe one of them was only in the book?

It also had an episode where they go to a mirror dimension except male and female are reversed. Lister hooks up with himself and gets pregnant because men get pregnant there.

For those unfamiliar with 80s-90s cult British comedy, Lister was the protagonist, and was a nonwhite main character way way before it was cool.

At one point, the ships computer Holly undergoes a gender reassignment because their actor changed a few seasons in. Red Dwarf was pretty amazing.

e: looked it up and the rationale for the gender change was also the visit to the alternate reality, which resulted in the character deciding they preferred their female self.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 6, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Hodgepodge posted:

It was a plot line in Red Dwarf years ago. Several plot lines actually. Or maybe one of them was only in the book?

It also had an episode where they go to a mirror dimension except male and female are reversed. Lister hooks up with himself and gets pregnant because men get pregnant there.

For those unfamiliar with 80s-90s cult British comedy, Lister was the protagonist, and was a nonwhite main character way way before it was cool.

At one point, the ships computer Holly undergoes a gender reassignment because their actor changed a few seasons in. Red Dwarf was pretty amazing.

e: looked it up and the rationale for the gender change was also the visit to the alternate reality, which resulted in the character deciding they preferred their female self.

I don't remember much about hologramatic (they would invent new words even when real ones existed) rights in the show beyond it contributing to Rimmer's frustration and impotence, but it definitely came up the books that there were marches.

Also the race that evolved from feral cats in the cargo bay that based their religion on Lister's plan to open a fast food outlet and wiping themselves out in a war over if the hats were supposed to be red or blue. They were supposed to be green.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://twitter.com/Bee_Kirby/status/1202352647145082880?s=19

I mean...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't remember much about hologramatic (they would invent new words even when real ones existed) rights in the show beyond it contributing to Rimmer's frustration and impotence, but it definitely came up the books that there were marches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gzJFkFYgd4

Groovy, funky, channel 27

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Exactly like all the real lovely unstoppable super powerful people in real life

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bust Rodd posted:

Exactly like all the real lovely unstoppable super powerful people in real life

Yep, sorry to hear that you aren't one of us :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They're not wrong, and we've discussed that topic many times ITT.

Its a struggle with making television that you want to entertain your audience.

Tony Soprano gets to do tons of "cool" poo poo all the time, and gets away with literal murder many, many times. The show even ends without conclusively ending him.

Same is true of lots of toxic protagonists / anti-heroes. Depiction is not condoning, but messages do get mixed up when the aesthetic is just so cool because you're trying to sell your art.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, even after the last few episodes demonstrated exactly how pathetic Walter White had become after getting stripped of everything he’d worked towards over the rest of Breaking Bad, he still got to go out with a bang without ever really having to confront any of the farther reaching consequences of his actions that didn’t affect people in his immediate circle of family and friends.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, even after the last few episodes demonstrated exactly how pathetic Walter White had become after getting stripped of everything he’d worked towards over the rest of Breaking Bad, he still got to go out with a bang without ever really having to confront any of the farther reaching consequences of his actions that didn’t affect people in his immediate circle of family and friends.

And I think a large number of Breaking Bad fans would describe Walter White as "a badass" before they described him as "a broken man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly don’t think entertainers are under any sort of social responsibility to explain their moral compass to their fans.