Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Dan has enough game that he went from being one half of a split vote to having people stabbing each other in the back to stay good with him. And we just saw him pretty comfortably in the core alliance. I don't know how he'd do against a Jury but I don't think he's the passive goat you seem to see him as.

What is everyone else's huge game moves? Tommy and Lauren got them to eat breakfast that one time so Lauren could burn an idol in a vote they had no control of? Noura and Dean blew up that Tribal that one time creating complete chaos and somehow getting the most isolated player in the game voted out? This ain't Game Changers.

Being comfortably in a core alliance doesn't mean you have a game. Laurel was comfortably in a core alliance all the way to the end too.

But I guess if you can give me an example of an actual move we saw him make somewhat recently in the game (so like not the first ten days) I'll lay off

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think anything's guaranteed for him but you talk like he's an obvious goat with people transparently outplaying him. They're all idiots and tools and the only person I can think of who made a recent big game move was Karishima.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think they're transparently outplaying him because I literally cannot remember a single game move he's done that wasn't just going with the flow. So I'm at the "doing literally anything is better" phase with him. Win an immunity, find and play an idol (even if it's wrong), convince someone to change their vote, anything please.

Some of these players are as useful as a broken clock but his doesn't even have hands.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd argue the opposite, that I don't see any game moves from anyone else. Every week has been wasted idols, sabotaging games, or someone who has been voted out. I think Elaine's probably more well liked, Tommy and Lauren might be more respected, and maybe before tonight I might have said Noura could get some respect. But there's no way I see Dan drawing dead, especially if he's sitting next to some combo of Noura, Dean, and Janet. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Lauren or Tommy taken down by their own arrogance. And I think we've see Elaine dismissed by them as being an idiot a couple of times.

I don't think Dan's playing a particularly good game. I just don't see anything that sets anyone above him. I (a) don't see the games that are better than Dan's, (b) don't think this will be a "game" jury, (c) think Dan gets along fine with most of the jury, and (d) think he got an unfortunately amount of capital from that time he was unjustly slandered and had half the jury begging his forgiveness and trust.

The only people I'd clearly put above him are Elaine, Lauren, and maybe Tommy. But Elaine and Tommy both had 4 votes on them at some point tonight and did nothing to get them off them. And Lauren just seems smug and blind to a lot of the game around her, to me, but that is definitely in part my personal dislike of her.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 5, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Its one reddit poster posting 4 different SA posters so if its the same person then its either a secret conglomerate of SA users posting under a shared reddit name for some reason or one dude with a bunch of pay fake accounts re posting them all under one free account.

Any way you cut it Dahhhkness is a weirdo.

at this point this is more interesting than the season

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Can't really fault Dean too much for panicking when he has to rely on Noura. Does reduce his chances of winning to super slim compared to what should have been his dream final 3 of Noura and Karishma which I think he wins.

Was a shame that Dan's son showed up because there's no way they could deny a kid from hanging out with his father even knowing he's a creep.

Loling at the hate Tommy is getting on reddit. People having trouble accepting that his social game appears very strong. IMO only Elaine is clearly ahead of him/Lauren right now because she has a great story to go with her being lovable.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think one of the funniest parts of this season is everyone going 'I wasn't gunning for you!' in tribal after either just voting them or getting called out in the middle of tribal.

I still don't see how this was a good move for Dean. I can't understand how Dean doesn't vote Noura in that tribal either. I mean you just loving called her out as being untrustworthy and poo poo, but you want to keep her in the game for another 3 days until the next tribal knowing how crazy she can get?

After the Tribal blow up, I think it would have been the best time to dump Noura. Karishma isn't very likely to win any immunity challenges and everyone left in the tribe doesn't think she has a chance to win. I guess Dan explained some of the logic with his 'everyone will be trying to keep Karishma around for the final tribal,' but I almost feel like that is just Dan wanting to get rid of a goat because HE wants the position of 'person being dragged to final because they are perceived as a goat.'

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not gonna waste too much energy trying to figure out Dean and Noura's strategies. It was just panic and the same old boring move on another vote gameplay. Noura didn't trust Karishima or Dean or math or idols or something. Dean didn't trust Karishima. No one could figure their poo poo out. They voted out the punching bag. Karishima went because it was easy. The fact that she was the one person consistently trying to shake stuff up and not just begging back to the center made it easier.

No one in this cast think they're goats. They all probably heard the "goat army" speech and nodded along.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Noura [caller] saga was the funniest thing in years and I want her voted off quickly because I cannot imagine anything will top that.
I'd like to apologize to Noura, an endless source of joy who I want to win and stay on the island for S41.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dean is possibly one of the dumbest players to have gotten this far. Doubly so because he has an extremely punchable smug face and delusions of his power in this game.

I think he pretty much just handed Tommy his win.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I compared Dean to Albert a few day ago, I change my mind. Albert was better

This season post-merge has been sinking like a stone, and has the potential to end up VERY low. IMO, David vs. Goliath has been the only good season since Millennials vs. Gen X. Doesn't make me feel good for season 40.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Along with all the other bizarre choices being made, I see no reason to keep Sandra and Rob hidden at TC. All the players must know by now that they're at IOI.

And they had the perfect opportunity when Jeff lost control of the TC, for Boston Rob to step out of the isolation booth and tell everyone to sit back down and "smarten up".

I'd like to apologize to Noura, an endless source of joy who I want to win and stay on the island for S41.
A Noura immunity run to the F4 could only help this season. Then a F3 of Noura, Dean and Dan and the entire jury only asks one question of the remaining players, "Based only on gameplay, why should we vote for you to win one million dollars?"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 5, 2019

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

Along with all the other bizarre choices being made, I see no reason to keep Sandra and Rob hidden at TC. All the players must know by now that they're at IOI.

And they had the perfect opportunity when Jeff lost control of the TC, for Boston Rob to step out of the isolation booth and tell everyone to sit back down and "smarten up".

Smaaten Up

I was wondering about if everybody knew yet. I'd say no, because knowledge is power and being in the secret club is cool BUT on the other hand Noura

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean of the people left, Elaine, Noura, Lauren and Janet know. Dean, Tommy, Dan don't.

So over half of the people left know. Not really much point in hiding it.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I think the only move at Tribal I agreed with is the majority not voting out Noura. There’s a small chance this is a crazy ruse to get all the votes on Noura and Elaine idols her while the outcasts still vote Tommy.
That being said, the correct person to vote out was Dean.
He has exactly the faults they criticized Noura for at tribal. He also didn’t tell the plan until they were at Tribal and he didn’t reveal Elaine’s idol. He is slightly more of a threat than Karishma and he has revealed he also can’t really be trusted to follow a plan through completely.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Binary Logic posted:

A Noura immunity run to the F4 could only help this season. Then a F3 of Noura, Dean and Dan and the entire jury only asks one question of the remaining players, "Based only on gameplay, why should we vote for you to win one million dollars?"

This would really be the perfect cherry on this poo poo sundae.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Dan has enough game that he went from being one half of a split vote to having people stabbing each other in the back to stay good with him. And we just saw him pretty comfortably in the core alliance. I don't know how he'd do against a Jury but I don't think he's the passive goat you seem to see him as.
But as we saw from the brief rebellion this week, Lauren is considered the biggest threat in that alliance and Tommy was the second choice target. And we know Janet is pretty well-respected. So as far as I can tell Dan is the goatiest of the majority alliance even before factoring in him being a handsy creep. Rest easy everyone

Khanstant posted:

What was Dean's motivation? Racing for fifth place or something?
As a viewer Dean's move was infuriating but just trying to figure out what he was thinking, here's what I can come up with: Noura was already infuriating to deal with, but this wasn't the only vote they'd need to work with her. Even if they succeed here, Noura still has swing position power and this vote was a freebie by comparison since it was a blindside. Afterward the blindsided players get the chance to go, "Noura, whaat, we love you, we didn't take you to see your sister because we know you're so strong! We had to take Lauren and Dan because it was their husband and kid! Are you really going to work with someone lazy like Karishma?"

Instead, after burning Noura and the rest, Karishma goes home, and now at 7 the majority can target the traitor Noura, which gets Dean to 6, at which point he thinks he has a legacy advantage, getting him to 5 and one away from firemaking. Or, instead of targeting Noura, he goes to Tommy who is super grateful to him now, and says dude you weren't even the first option on that vote, the intended target was Lauren, everyone says she's the mastermind and you just follow her around, and if that works now Dean's gotten himself into the top 4 of that alliance (and firemaking).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

garthoneeye posted:

I think the only move at Tribal I agreed with is the majority not voting out Noura. There’s a small chance this is a crazy ruse to get all the votes on Noura and Elaine idols her while the outcasts still vote Tommy.
That being said, the correct person to vote out was Dean.
He has exactly the faults they criticized Noura for at tribal. He also didn’t tell the plan until they were at Tribal and he didn’t reveal Elaine’s idol. He is slightly more of a threat than Karishma and he has revealed he also can’t really be trusted to follow a plan through completely.
Good call. I don't realistically see people thinking that way in the moment right after Dean saved their asses, but everything you say is true.

Binary Logic posted:

It's heavily implied that players are forbidden from telling anyone not in the know about Rob and Sandra, so I really do believe the players who haven't been there still don't know.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

As a viewer Dean's move was infuriating but just trying to figure out what he was thinking, here's what I can come up with: Noura was already infuriating to deal with, but this wasn't the only vote they'd need to work with her. Even if they succeed here, Noura still has swing position power and this vote was a freebie by comparison since it was a blindside. Afterward the blindsided players get the chance to go, "Noura, whaat, we love you, we didn't take you to see your sister because we know you're so strong! We had to take Lauren and Dan because it was their husband and kid! Are you really going to work with someone lazy like Karishma?"

Instead, after burning Noura and the rest, Karishma goes home, and now at 7 the majority can target the traitor Noura, which gets Dean to 6, at which point he thinks he has a legacy advantage, getting him to 5 and one away from firemaking. Or, instead of targeting Noura, he goes to Tommy who is super grateful to him now, and says dude you weren't even the first option on that vote, the intended target was Lauren, everyone says she's the mastermind and you just follow her around, and if that works now Dean's gotten himself into the top 4 of that alliance (and firemaking).

I'm inclined to agree. My most charitable guess is Dean realized that he couldn't possibly trust Noura to help pull off such a crucial move, but that it would nonetheless be in his best interest to keep her around as a distraction, and blowing up their plan pre-TC might have led to her going home. Meanwhile, Elaine flushes her idol, and the big 4 all get exposed for being naive idiots who thought their obvious AF alliance could orchestrate an easy-peasy vote-split (assuming that was indeed still the plan, judging by their reactions to Dean's info at TC) after the loved-ones challenge. So yeah, even though I don't like the guy very much, it's possible he might have sloppily connived his way into better position provided A) he doesn't attempt to play the fake legacy advantage like a dum-dum, and B) he can be the one to take responsibility for driving a wedge between Lauren and Tommy, like you said (and I do think they're going to end up voting against each other at some point).

Granted, that might all be a huge stretch and it could easily turn out that it was just impulsive gameplay and he's the easy boot next week, but I think there's still a greater chance they'll go for Elaine or Noura (or perhaps Lauren/Tommy) instead.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 5, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Ok I'm off of Team Noura.

I watched Tribal again. I missed the part where Dean told Tommy that he was getting voted out. I totally understand Noura's actions now. What I disagree with is her outing Elaine's immunity idol. I think next episode will be fun with a mad scramble for the idol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This feels like third tribal gameplay but we're at day 32.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

It's heavily implied that players are forbidden from telling anyone not in the know about Rob and Sandra, so I really do believe the players who haven't been there still don't know.
It's even more heavily implied that Noura can't keep a secret.
And if I'm in an alliance with someone, they go to IOI and won't say what happened there, I'm not really in an alliance with them.
So there's that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Binary Logic posted:

It's even more heavily implied that Noura can't keep a secret.
And if I'm in an alliance with someone, they go to IOI and won't say what happened there, I'm not really in an alliance with them.
So there's that.

Lauren told Tommy pretty much everything at IOI except that Rob and Sandra were there, which is I guess as close as you can get.

I'm wondering if Lauren and Tommy think they can beat each other. Tommy has to recognize that Lauren's gameplay is something the jury can recognize, and Lauren has to recognize that Tommy is making too many friends who will fall over to get him further.

Except that if they take each other out, then whoever left is pretty much exposed to the rest of the tribe.

It's also kinda crazy that the biggest immunity threat left is Noura. And then maybe Elaine? Can't see any of the guys doing well unless it's a throwing challenge.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean of the people left, Elaine, Noura, Lauren and Janet know. Dean, Tommy, Dan don't.

So over half of the people left know. Not really much point in hiding it.

I think it's safe to say that even the players that haven't gone to IOI probably have heard about it by now!

That being said though, nobody actually knows they are hanging out and watching tribal councils. Which the only point of having them watch the tribals and to be secret about it, would be too have a twist involving it come up at some point. Or they are just there to provide humorous commentary and earn their paychecks (quite possible tbh)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lauren went to IOI for the first time just last week and was surprised by R+S, right.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

blue squares posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/e5lw0y/survivor_island_of_the_idols_episode_12/f9oqxy0/

edit: wait last time it was SA user The Bloop. But it's always reddit user Dahhkness. Very strange

Of all my posts, they pick that one?

I've made a total of 5 reddit comments ever, and my name on there is similar to my one here.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

If season 40 is all winners I want season 41 to be an all goat season

Give me Angelina trying to negotiate with Noura plz and thx

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009
poo poo, imagine a season with Noura, Coach, Debbie, War Dog, Abi-Maria, and Philip on it.

Survivor 41: Asylum.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I would pay to watch Survivor Asylum

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A Typical Goon posted:

Give me Angelina trying to negotiate with Noura plz and thx

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If Philip is coming back, Francesca needs to come back as well so they can have their final battle.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Raxivace posted:

If Philip is coming back, Francesca needs to come back as well so they can have their final battle.

at the first tribal

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Looks like Elizabeth didn't do any exit press, because Karishma's is out:

"I will say this: I feel I was absolutely ostracized out there to a certain extent, and bullying can come in various degrees. So I did feel bullied. I do have to take a side note and say that I have come to know many of these cast members outside of the game and have formed genuine friendships with them. They are just incredible, loving, warm people who I don’t think encompass any of the qualities that a bully would. But in the game, it started off more subtly with little things like when I hurt myself and I didn’t feel any of the compassion that I would normally expect. Maybe that was wrong of me to expect that in a cutthroat game like Survivor. But that felt like bullying to me.

That felt like a group of people coming together to put somebody else down or make somebody else feel bad. And then little by little it would escalate. And after the merge, it just took on another life in and of itself. And that’s what I think a lot of other castmates agree that it turned into this whole concept where maybe insulting Karishma outright was just the norm. And it got pretty crazy when you think about it at the end the game. It’s funny, nobody really identified it as crazy. I’ll give you an example: There was a scene from the water well with Tommy, Noura, and Lauren, and I said something that seems to viewers out of the blue, but it wasn’t out of the blue where I was like, “Are you trying to get me thrown out of the game?”

Well, what viewers didn’t see was that for a while before then, I had heard people say, “I hope she gets medevaced.” Or “Gosh, is there a way to get her medevaced,” like literally within earshot shot of me! To me, that’s bullying. That has a purpose of hurting me. That has the purpose of putting someone down. And then you just saw in the last episode where it’s just like nonchalant, there’s just really cruel things being said about me that I think in the real world, these people would never… I mean, they’re wonderful people who would never say it — but in the game, it was happening. And it just gives credence to the whole concept of group-think and mob mentality where one person has a negative sentiment and a second person has it, it gives it credence."

It's Karishma so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but oof, it certainly doesn't sound like a nice time out there.

That said, she did confirm that she and Missy had an alliance, but then Missy was Missy and came down too harsh for it to be fun.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I finally caught up from yesterday's episode.

That episode made me appreciate Karishma and I liked her just in time to be sad to see her go.

Noura is fascinating and entertaining and frightening. I want to know her origin story.

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's Karishma so I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but oof, it certainly doesn't sound like a nice time out there.

Assuming she's being honest, that line about people discussing if there's a WAY to get her medevac'd is menacing as gently caress.

Karishma does seem to legitimately loathe Dan too. People have been pointing out that picture on her Instagram from before the season started where she cropped Dan halfway out of the photo while giving generous room to Tom at the opposite end: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2MtHSQFEIC/

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd be curious who it would be, too. I can easily see Dan or Noura saying that. Possibly Lauren. I'm not sure Janet or Elaine would say that and honestly Tommy's kind of a blank state with veneers of arrogance so I don't even know with him.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AWarmBody posted:

Noura is fascinating and entertaining and frightening. I want to know her origin story.
I hope she does exit interviews but I suspect she's only gone crazy from starvation and stress and might be boring after the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's some irony in that Noura was dragging Karishma across the sand at the swap, but let's not pretend that she's not only swimming because Dan is dragging her.

Man, Dan is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

Dude this is the all-goat season.