Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
So I take this to mean that Koshka is the real brains of this operation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: White Song

"Rather than studying, it's more like training for how to withstand economy-class syndrome."
"And before Selcom, you wouldn't even have been able to kill time or record it, right? That really would be hell."
"I guess it just means that old humanity was good at being patient."
"Hard to tell if humanity's advanced or regressed, huh? *yaaaawn*..."

However, the advancement of technology was now starting to win against the boredom of listening to old people talk. Old people proudly claimed that modern kids were slacking off and had no spirit, going on and on about what it was like in their day. However, even when it looked like those young people were sincerely listening to them, they were actually chatting away happily in mental rooms. How is that not a win-win situation...?

But, even if they could win against the boredom, apparently no technology had yet been invented that could stop the butt from hurting after sitting on a hard chair.

Miyao:
"Today, you're gonna take us to that store your friend's running. Right, Gunhild?"

Gunhild:
"Yes. I hope you two like them."

Miyao and the other Gauntlet Knights were soldiers who served in the military, but they were also students who hadn't yet reached adulthood. Though they underwent strict military training, they were also guaranteed enough time and privileges to enjoy their youths. So, while they stood at the front lines of their nations' defenses, they were also able to have daily lives just like normal students... Of course, they only got these privileges because they were elites with cutting-edge tech who defended their countries.

Now searching real estate prices in the area poyo!
"No, no, you don't have to search it. I can imagine how high it gets."
"More than it being expensive, it's hard to even find a property to buy. And besides, if you look at small buildings in back alleys, you can rent a spot for a price that's not too unreasonable."

On this day, the Warcats had been taken to a study center near Neo Akihabara. It was a really boring 'job', where they were forced to listen to veeery precious words of wisdom from old people with lofty titles. Afterwards, they figured that since they had come to Neo Akihabara, they might as well wander around. Then, Gunhild had told them that some friends of hers had opened a store nearby, and she offered to take them there.

"Heheh, you think so?"
"Yeah. No matter where we go or what we're talking about, you always have friends there, right?"
"When you've got that many, how do you not mix them up? Isn't it rough, getting mail from and going into virtual rooms with all sorts of friends all day long?"
"Isn't being able to easily do things like that what makes parallel processors so great?"
"Well, when I'm talking to someone, I'll sometimes have a conversation with other friends in a mental room at the same time, but I feel a bit guilty about it."
"Isn't that fine, as long as you don't post to the wrong chat?"
"Well, when someone's talking to you about something serious, and you're having fun playing a shooting game with a different friend in a mental room, doesn't that feel mean?"
"Jayden, you usually act like you're so outrageous, but some of the time, you can be surprisingly commonsensical, or should I say detail-obsessed."
"Shut up. I get that I'm a guy whose good looks are wasted by my lack of communication skills."
"I hate people who call themselves good-looking."
"Still, well... I don't dislike the fact that you're concerned about little things like that."
"I see. Thanks, Meow."
"No, that was me talking!!"
"Oh, uh, really? I thought every kind thing you ever said came from Meow."
"After all, Miyao's always strict whenever he talks, right?"
"You're pissing me off, pissing me off!"
"There's no way I'll ever say kind things about you again, okay...?!!"
"Hey, don't start pouting, seriously. You really are cute, Miyao."
"Heheh. I'd appreciate it if you'd save the lovers' quarrels for when you're alone."

BGM: Chat

After entering one of the buildings that rented out spaces and were thin like sliced cheese, they climbed up 4 short stories... and were at the shop.

"Long time no see! You look well! I'm so glad!"

Owner:
"Oh, you even brought your friends?! Come on in, sit down!"

"How's the store doing? Off to a good start?"

Owner:
"A whole bunch of our supporters in Japan came. Now we just need to wait for it to spread by word-of-mouth!"

"That's #%&&!! $#$$ would gladly %@=#!! %#<$!!!"
That was too fast and slangy for me to translate poyooo.

It looked very strange to see Gunhild and the female owner, who was wearing a cyclops mask and maid clothes, chatting together excitedly...

"They're siblings of the same age, apparently. They've been in touch, but they haven't actually met for 10 years, it seems."
"...Siblings, huh? I wonder how my siblings are doing."
"I thought the great Supergenius Jayden hated having company on his lonely walk down Genius Lane."
"...I guess... you've got a point there."
"With my excellent grades, I kept passing up other people in my age group and classes, always so eager to reach the top. I just kept running straight forward, without ever thinking about siblings or friends, until I ended up here."

It was only recently that Jayden had recognized that fault, and had started renewing his old friendships with some of his siblings. Even so, he was still estranged from many of them. He sometimes regretted that he'd been self-absorbed with the idea that he was a supergenius, and that this had caused him to neglect his sibling relationships.

...Miyao felt that he'd screwed up a bit. He'd offhandedly told Jayden "I bet you were a loner", and it had turned out to be right.

"...Tch."
"N-Now, you've got me, so you aren't a loner anymore."
"...Y-Yeah, you're right! Thanks, Miyao!"
"I-It's not like that... That was Meow just now..."
"No, that one was definitely you, Miyao! I love it when you act nice every once in a while!"
"Let go, stop ruffling my hair!"
"Those two certainly are close."
"They're so happy together."

Poyo! Your current location is the costume cafe "Monster Party" poyo!
Rating: ★★★★★, Safety: ★★★☆☆, Cleanliness: ★★★☆☆
It hasn't been open very long, so it doesn't have many ratings poyo! Make sure you take that into account poyo!

Jayden:
"Probably just looks like one on the outside."

Owner:
"Oh, it's the real thing. We got it via crowdfunding, which kept us waiting quite some time."

In this era of mental displays, everyone assumed that TV monitors from the old era had been all but eliminated. However, no matter the era, you'll always find collectors who love old technology.

"You can really sense that everyone's watching the same thing. That's why I like old displays."
"I know what you mean. It's nice when it feels like you're all watching it together."
"Yeah, I get that. I love that stuff too."
"No matter how boring the show is, it can still be kinda fun."
"Hey, look. Just because you said that, they've started playing something boring."

Owner:
"Should I turn it off?"

Jayden:
"I never heard anything like that."

Miyao:
"If they flag you for turning off the TV during government broadcasts, I would've been sent to jail a dozen times over."

In the AOU, all channels were forced to show government broadcasts at a specified time every day. In almost all cases, these were used to highlight the ways life in the AOU was better than it had been before. In the B3W world, propaganda broadcasts like that were hated and likened to brainwashing or something out of a dystopia.

...However, the flood of broadcasts criticizing the current state of affairs in the B3W world... had also encouraged global paranoia. Everything from the weather, to health, to atopic dermatitis, to even troubles with luck and romance... was blamed on corruption in one's own government. So, naturally, people all over the world were unsatisfied with their living conditions, and this formed a decently strong motive for emigration. At the same time, the countries accepting immigrants tended to blame them for everything bad that was going on. This led to increasing discontent towards their own governments for not taking a harder line on immigration, and eventually the rise of far-right groups. With time, these became triggers for cultural clashes, which opened the door for World War III...

Perhaps in an attempt to atone for this, broadcasters in all countries in all factions of the A3W world were forced to include broadcasts that would raise the happiness index.

BGM: Underdogs

Narrator:
"Have you heard the phrase 'going on a journey to find yourself'? In our AOU, this phrase has long since passed into obscurity, but it's still used to this day in the other factions. It means 'to find what your strengths are by trial and error'. Young people in the other factions don't know what their natural-born strengths are, so they're forced to spend most of their lives finding them by trying out one thing after another."

People are born with all sorts of individual traits. They think of ways to best take advantage of their traits, designing the optimal lives for themselves. However, individual traits aren't always a positive thing. Sadly, some are hard to make use of in society, and some can even become a burden. Some traits that can be easily seen, like those that come with physical penalties, were given humanity's support from very early on. But it's also true that a large number of people never received any support, either because their traits were hard to recognize visually, or else because they were seen as the result of an evil mind.

"If you look at it that way, we really are living in a nice era."
"Yeah. A genetic test is performed as soon as there's a fertilized egg, so all your strengths and weaknesses are known before birth."

Narrator:
"Positive traits are given opportunities to distinguish themselves even more, while negative traits are given the support they need. Young people in the AOU are able to live the most suitable lifestyle for themselves, without having to spend half their lives searching for themselves. When youths in the other factions go on their self-searching journeys, it takes an average of 24 years. And even this number includes people who eventually gave up on finding their true strengths, rather than discovering them. Most young people around the world are still suffering, still ignorant of their real talents."

"It must've been a tough era, having to spend most of your life searching for what you're good and not good at."
"...There were probably also a lot of people who never found out what they were good at...and who died believing they were incompetent."
"In that sense, we do live in a wonderful era. Then again, I do like the sound of 'going on a journey to find yourself'."
"Yeah. People in the B3W world were always able to hope that they had unknown talents sleeping inside them. But now, you can't have dreams like that."

Narrator:
"Of course, the genes you're born with don't determine everything about your life. The AOU always gives people of all occupations opportunities to learn or change professions. To live is to work. Finding a job that makes the best use of your abilities is one of the happiest forms of living the AOU provides. We offer all youths a future where they'll have the greatest chance to shine. --AOU."

BGM: Komugiro no Bishou

"That's just people going through a rebellious phase. You know, when you want to do the opposite of what people tell you to do."
"When I was first told to go to military school, I absolutely hated the idea."
"What did you want to be at the time?"

"A video uploader?"
"Who only does cat videos?"
"That's right, got a problem with that? I took a shot at it with the Job Experience Simulator, ended up with a D grade, and cried and cried until I gave up. Okay, I get that I totally underestimated how hard a job being a video uploader is."

Owner:
"Your dreams were crushed by the Simulator? You shouldn't have worried about that. They say those always give you bad grades. I mean, do you know what job aptitude grade Gunhild got for becoming a Gauntlet Knight?"

"I got a C."
"Seriously?! You went from that to where you are now?!"
"What the hell, that means simulator grades are totally worthless! I should've ignored them and become a cat video uploader!!"
"Heheh. Fate isn't something you're given, it's something you forge for yourself."
"Tch. Instead of obediently following the rails set before me, I should've tried living life like I pleased."
"Still, there's one thing I can say for sure as your partner. No matter what you tried to do, whether you got an A or a B or a D, you were definitely fated to become a Gauntlet Knight , the strongest man in the sky, and my partner."
"Tch. I hope you know your aptitude for being my partner is only about a C."
"Heheheheh. The fact you didn't give me a D makes it clear how much you love me as a partner, Miyao."

"I-I am not! It's normal for two guys to act like this!"
"No way, that's not how two guys act, it was gross! You were definitely treating me like a girl!"
"H-Hey, cut that out... I get that you have an inferiority complex, but don't take it out on me. If you're sensitive about the fact that you've got no muscles, just admit it and work out more-"
"I-I-I-Inferiority compleeex?! What are you talking about?! Wh-When did I ever say I had an inferiority complex 'cause I've got no muscles?!"

Was their relationship good or bad? Their arms were wrapped around each other as they tried to strangle each other. Of course, from the sidelines, it just looked like they were flirting.

"You do have a complex! You interpret everything Jayden does like that because you're sensitive about the fact that you're weak, right?!"
"Hey, it's not like I-"
"You're gonna say it's because I wouldn't like having a muscular body, right?! Choosing not to exercise is your decision to make, okay?! You don't like being slender, but you hate exercising, and you hate weight training! And when that makes you feel bad, you take it out on Jayden!!"
"I'm not taking it out on anyone!! Owow, ooowwww!!"

Miyao and Meow started grabbing at each other with their left and right arms, pinching their face and so on. Having two personalities in one body really keeps them busy, and it's always amusing to watch...

In the end, Meow won and Miyao withdrew. In the first place, they had already agreed to switch places at the end of their study session.

"S-Sure. Still, I can't help but be surprised. Just by switching over to Meow, it's like your whole face has changed..."
"Gunhild, congrats on making it through that study session! I love your friend's shop. Those monster masks are adorable."
"Thanks for coming along with me. It's all right if you two head off and have some fun now."
"Are you sure? We only just arrived..."

Owner:
"Don't worry about it. Thanks for coming over to play. If you don't mind, please talk about us on Kizuna, hashtag included."

"Sure, we'll do that. We'll see you again!"
"Put my meal and Meow's on my card. I'll add a tip too."
"Thanks, but we'll split the bill! I'll use my card too. And I'll also add a big tip."

Owner
"I'm grateful, but don't you think this is a bit much?"

"No, not at all. It's not like there's much we can spend money on."
Thanks again poyo! I'll give you a stamp for visiting this shop poyo!
Was it a good shop poyo? If it was, make sure to support them with a tip poyo!
Cha-ching! Thanks for your tip poyooo!!
"Thanks for the meal. Gunhild, thanks for telling us about this wonderful shop!"
"Catch you later. And thanks for adding on a tip."
"Okay, sorry for heading out early. Bye!"

Looking apologetic for leaving Gunhild behind, the two of them left the store.

Owner:
"Those two certainly seem happy. That's quite the tip they gave us."

Gunhild rested her chin on her hands over the counter, sighed deeply but quietly, and then raised her head. Her expression seemed slightly different than usual.

BGM: Rokugatsu no Sora

Owner:
"You think so? I never heard of you having more money than you know what to do with, Gun. I'm kidding, just kidding."

"...For Gauntlet Knights, food, clothing, shelter, and even fringe benefits all come free. Pretty amazing, huh? Seriously, no matter what they do, it's always free. So, they keep stockpiling more and more money. And hell, they could even live their lives without really using any of it. What a sweet deal those super-aristocrats get."

Owner:
"It amazes me every time I hear it. To think that in this day and age, there are people who can go through life without ever thinking about money. I'm jealous of that passionate couple."

"It's not like they've done anything wrong. They were just lucky enough to be born with good talent and genes, I guess. They must've done something incredibly good in their previous lives, so God told them it was okay for their next lives to be a bonus stage."

Owner:
"I don't feel like I belong in a bonus stage, but this town really is one. That's the first thing I thought when I got here. The air's so clean."

"The air here's clean because they use incredibly high-quality Spiritium. Once you've tasted it, you won't be able to go back to your old city..."

Owner:
"I agree. I don't want to go back. It gives me shivers to think I was living in air that smelly without even noticing it."

"Still, until you came here, you breathed it without caring at all."

Owner:
"That's true... Now, I'm grateful. Thanks for not telling me how nice the air was here."

"I never told you all about anything. Probably because I didn't want anyone getting depressed. But I can finally get this off my chest. Now that I've finally got siblings in the same city as me."

Owner:
"Both Maja and I are extremely grateful to you, Gun. If you hadn't supported us with money, we never would've been able to come here. You gave so much. And to everyone..."

"Don't worry about it. I just wanted siblings in this city so I had someone to complain to."

Owner:
"Thanks. But we want to complain too. Only Maja and I studied seriously and gave it our all. When everyone else received your money, they just thought it was natural for the successful one to send some of it their way..."

"... It doesn't bother me."

"...They'll paralyze their minds with apps and drift through life, only vaguely conscious. Before they know it, they'll get fat on junk food, have problems with their organs, and amazingly quickly and suddenly...die while still 30 to 40 years old..."

Owner:
"And even living like that... felt like a little bit of happiness back when we were there. The AOU certainly is a terrifying place to live."

Owner:
"And you'll grumble complaints about all the mental games you're playing... until the alcohol and obesity kill you."

Gunhild:
"...Has this faction gone insane? Or are they all happy, and we're the only ones who're screwed up?"

Owner:
"..."

Owner:
"...I want to forget about it. If it were possible, I'd want to forget about everything that happened in that city. I'd rather pretend that I lived here from the start..."

"..."
"By the way, have you been in touch with Maja lately?"

Owner:
"No, I haven't seen her recently either. And, Kizuna isn't marking the messages I send as having been read. I suppose she's still giving it her all, hoping to become a true Gauntlet Knight like you, Gun."

"Well, you probably have it roughest when you're still just a trainee."

Owner:
"I was sure it'd be you who first got in contact with her, but I guess not."
"Well, she did ask me a lot of questions before her exams. Still, in the end, there's nothing you can do except have faith in your own strength."

Officially, there were no age restrictions for Gauntlet Knight tests, but practically speaking, there were. The most valuable talent for a Gauntlet Knight was parallel processing ability. The PP training used to hone that ability was more effective the younger you were. So, once you reached a certain age, it apparently wouldn't grow at all.

"I'll bet Maja's thinking there'll be no hope left for her if she doesn't pass this time. She's got to be pushing herself hard and focusing on that alone."

Owner:
"It would be wonderful if the next time we hear from her, it'll be so she can tell us that she passed."

"Yeah."

Owner:
"People usually misunderstand Maja because she looks so cute, but she really is a lot like a boy. I'm sure she's incredibly well-suited to being a soldier."

"At first, I was absolutely sure Maja would become a Gauntlet Knight before me."

Owner:
"Heheheheh. I thought the same thing."

"She's probably the person who dreamed most about being a Gauntlet Knight. I'm sure I wouldn't have made it to where I am now if I hadn't been influenced by her passion."
"So, I was pretty worried that I might've hurt Maja's pride, becoming a Gauntlet Knight before her."

Owner:
"There was no need to. When you did it, no one was happier than Maja. If anything, she was even more excited, thinking that she'd be able to pass the next time if she could get a few tips from you."

"I told her a few things, but in the end, this sort of thing always comes down to your own strength. The world of Gauntlet Knights is filled with monsters. There's a ton of natural-born geniuses, who never had to suffer their entire lives, but who still hate to lose."

Owner:
"Like that happy couple from before?"

"Those are the kinds of people fighting over those Gauntlets. If a C-grade wants their dreams to come true, it's only natural that they'll have to work hard and suffer to their absolute limits. And even then, they still have to pray for a miracle."
"Maja was working hard and suffering to her limit too. So, now there's nothing to do but pray for a miracle."

Owner:
"...You're right. Still, Maja is so likable. Once she sneaks past that exam, she might make it big even faster than you, Gun."

"She looks like the kind of person who's good at getting her way, but she actually the type that overworks themselves. I imagine she'd still have it rough even after becoming a Gauntlet Knight, so I'm a bit worried for her."

Owner:
"It'll be all right. Maja... is much better at that sort of thing than we are."

"I guess so. Men love women like that. I wish I were attractive like that, particularly to middle-aged men. Hahaha."

Owner:
"...Hey, Gun?"

"What is it?"

BGM: Itsuka no Daichi e

"...Spit it out. You have the right, and of course, so does Maja."

Owner:
"...Well, you know..."

She was wearing a monster mask, so it was impossible to see her expression. However, you could tell by the tone of her voice. You could hear her moan... as she tried to dig out a thorn that had been stuck in her heart for a long, long time...

How could anyone who pulled themselves up by their bootstraps not have suffered? No, she was asking this... despite being fully aware of that fact.

"...I got a C grade too, right? A C in my Gauntlet Knight aptitude score. In training, equipment, teaching materials, assistance and support, the A students were always given priority. Unless I suffered in a way the A students never did, I wouldn't even have had a chance to study."
"Just now, you said you wanted to forget all about the old city, right? I feel the same way."
"In my case in particular, in order to crawl towards becoming a Gauntlet Knight, in order to grasp any chance I could without worrying about anything else, I was forced to frantically suffer day after day. I want to forget that part alone, to scrape it away."
"...I want to open my skull right now... and rub my brains all over the asphalt to get rid of it. I want to take all those things that only people who crawl out of the trash ever know... and forget them completely..."
"..."
"...For today, I suggest we up our meds by two pills more than normal."

Owner:
"I see... I'm sorry, but thanks. Knowing that I'm not the only one suffering... makes me feel a little better..."

"You...should create a new self in this city too."
"If you want to cut yourself off from a painful past, creating a new 'you' is a very effective way to do it."

Owner:
"...I'm so grateful to both of you."

"..."

Meow:
"I don't think good and evil exist in this world. You might say it's like a mirror."

Jayden:
"If people who are feeling dark look at it, the world looks dark."

Meow:
"And when people who always have brightness in their hearts look at it, I'm sure it makes the world brighter."

"That's right! And anyway, you're cutest when you're smiling, Jayden."
"Seriously? If that's how you feel, I'll grin whenever you're around, Meow!"
"When you're talking to big brother, you had better hold back, or else he'll start sulking again. Apparently, he feels as though I've stolen away his beloved friend, and he's jealous."
"Huh? He really thinks that?! What the heck...?! That Miyao's so cute. Don't I always tell him that he's the only person who could be my perfect buddy?"
"I know. If he could just accept how much you like him, and just honestly respond in kind, I think he'd be even cuter."
"If Miyao hears you saying that, he'll be pissed."
"I know! If only he'd smile more."

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Quinn2win posted:

gently caress, that cut close to home.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I love how much whiplash this story has packed into it. It's so cute but also so grim and the future technology just makes the highs higher and the lows lower while still being a worryingly on point allegory.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Uploading cat videos is a viable mainstream career! How fun and silly but true to the direction the world is heading! How relatable! Also your future was decided by what privileges you were born with and the only scraps of joy you will ever experience are there to distract from the cold claws of capitalism wringing every last drop of blood from your body! How relatable! Cats are fun!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Welp, pour one out for Maja.

Gunhild definitely seems like another CPP?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Cyouni posted:

Gunhild definitely seems like another CPP?

Gunhild posted:

"If you want to cut yourself off from a painful past, creating a new 'you' is a very effective way to do it."

Yeah sure seems like it, oof. Might even be less healthy about it then Meow/Miyao/Murderyao.

A theme that I'm noticing more and more with R07's work is your friends suffering without you even noticing. Kind of dreading what's up with all these other supposedly cheerful characters. Or maybe the catgirl? will turn out to be just fine, who knows. Either that or she's the traitor.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Arcvasti posted:

Yeah sure seems like it, oof. Might even be less healthy about it then Meow/Miyao/Murderyao.

A theme that I'm noticing more and more with R07's work is your friends suffering without you even noticing. Kind of dreading what's up with all these other supposedly cheerful characters. Or maybe the catgirl? will turn out to be just fine, who knows. Either that or she's the traitor.
P sure Lilja is on an obscene amount of drugs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lilja is a criminal like Koshka. And from the sound of it was going through similar experiments. It also sounds like they want to replace her by copying Koshka's brain's ability onto someone else.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Alopex posted:

I love how much whiplash this story has packed into it. It's so cute but also so grim and the future technology just makes the highs higher and the lows lower while still being a worryingly on point allegory.

R07 has always loved mood whiplashes—the origin story I’ve always heard, after all, is that he read Key VNs and decided to do the whole slice-of-life-comedy-into-tragedy arc but with horror instead for Higurashi—and you’re absolutely right that he’s pushing it further than ever before.

Also this sequence is so rich with detail and meaning and I’m still chewing over Gunhild’s turn here. It’s a lot to take in, and underlines the degree to which there’s a lot more nuance to R07’s social critique than “olds bad” or “Japanese schools are not good.”

PetraCore posted:

P sure Lilja is on an obscene amount of drugs.

Seems like everybody is and it’s just the norm in their society.

Also our society.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lilja is a criminal like Koshka. And from the sound of it was going through similar experiments. It also sounds like they want to replace her by copying Koshka's brain's ability onto someone else.

Odds are they want to replace both of them by trying to copy their unique characteristics onto other people.

I'm just trying to figure out whether Maja's going to be one of the ones who's still alive and being used for mental improvement, or one of the ones who was disposed of after a failed experiment.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And again as others pointed out, there's the running thing of people suffering without others knowing - the social worker in him really comes out.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Warning: This update includes a scene of sexual assault.

BGM: Yain no Rinraku

In a waiting room, where you could faintly hear an elegant, live musical performance coming from the party hall, a plump high military official was snoring on a sofa. After having his fill of high-grade wine and being doted on by secondary secretaries, he was now likely having sweet dreams. However, his chest was exposed, and several electrodes had been attached to him, including at the nape of his neck, all of which were attached to several cords. Those cords were connected to a laptop sitting on the lap of another man...

Once, hackers were able to elegantly sift through the world's secrets in front of their own machine in their own homes, but in the A3W world, hackers were once again forced to rely on the methods of classic spies...

"...All right, little buddy. You can do it..."

The decryption software processed one vital, classified file after another. He was saying that classic phrase, which you can't help but say while watching a slowly expanding progress bar as files are being unpacked.

Decrypting, decrypting. The files are being decrypted one by one poyo.

However, another window that looked like an EKG was flashing yellow, warning that some sort of danger was approaching. It indicated the estimated time before the snoring officer woke up.

Still, this pig really is packed to the brim with cholesterol poyo. I'd rather calculate the sleep time of a cute girl poyo.
"No arguments here. I'd rather hack a G-cup beauty's boobs than an old man's head."
*keekekekekero*kero*!
Sorry for the wait poyo! All files have been successfully decrypted poyo!
"...Good work, Keropoyo. Please keep checking Mr. Cholesterol's remaining sleep time."
Roger that poyo! Also, I'd prefer if it you'd wipe those electrodes clean poyo!
"Hahaha. I'll clean them with the finest alcohol swabs money can buy..."

Windows opened one after another on the monitor, displaying the contents of various files... Toujirou watched this, feeling like a prophet in a fantasy world staring at a crystal ball.

"The only shame... is that the world's future doesn't lie with the young, but inside the head of an ugly old man who's practically a lump of bad health."

While speaking sarcastically, Toujirou used both his mental Selcom keyboard and the real keyboard beneath his fingertips to rapidly copy the files... As soon as he copied everything, the window marking the time remaining before the officer woke up turned red and blinked. Time was up.

Poyopoyopoyo! He's waking up poyo!
"Okay, we made it somehow."

Toujirou quickly tore off the electrodes attached to the man's neck and put his laptop away. When the man let out a pathetic sound like 'nngah' and finally woke... Toujirou was handing him a glass of ice water, acting as though he had been worried until a second ago.

"You probably should've paced yourself a bit. How do you feel? Should I call for a car?"

Senior Military Official:
"No, no, there's no need! After taking a quick nap, I'm feeling right as rain! And my head's cleared up too! Let's get back to drinking, Toujirou, wahahahaha!"

The officer happily put his arm over Toujirou's shoulder, and they returned to the party. When they opened the door, a thick heat and vulgar, drunken laughter poured out at them.

Now that Toujirou had finished his job, there was nothing forcing him to stay at this party. It was the sort of party that an onlooker might easily have been jealous of. However, though Toujirou kept an adult's smile on his face, he cursed inside his heart.

BGM: Manshon no kabe o hashiru tokage

The hall's decorations were solemn, as you'd expect from a party for dignified executives. However, the sweaty heat that filled it, the vulgar laughs of the men, and the flirtatious voices of the women... turned this into a world that was the exact opposite of dignified... The men were all older, stout high military officers. Their plump chests and arms and their overflowing double chins eloquently spoke for their unhealthy lifestyles. And, they weren't just high-ranking officers. They had all made use of their ranks to start side-businesses that earned them far more than their normal pay. These dignified individuals made a hobby of going from crazy party to crazy party, squandering the money that they couldn't find any other use for.

On the other hand, the women were all young and well-proportioned. However, unlike the men, they didn't wear military uniforms or jangling medals. On the contrary, just the women were all wearing swimsuits that exposed so much skin, you might call it obscene. Officially, this party was a training session for important military officers. Naturally, only members of the military were allowed to attend. So, all the women here were also members of the military. They were military secretaries. Also known as 'secondary secretaries'.

Search complete! The term "secondary secretary" refers to female secretaries chosen by perverted old men who want to waited upon by babes poyo.
I've found 13,400 adult videos with the tag "secondary secretary" poyo! Would you like to view them poyo? *keekekero*kero*
"Thanks. Give me the links starting with the highest rated."
I'll also download some lovely female frog humiliation ovulation action for you poyo!
"...I guess it never hurts to have some fried frog with salt and green onions to go with your drink."

In short, secondary secretaries were basically mistresses that military leaders were allowed to go around with officially. Maybe they would have been better off as mistresses. Most of them had signed one-sided mistress contracts, in exchange for financial support and a guaranteed standard of living.

Young people always want to succeed, to grasp hold of any chance that comes their way. However, in the AOU, where people were sorted out by the government, whether you succeeded or not was already decided when you were a fertilized egg. If those who weren't chosen wanted to reach that same position of success, then, naturally, there wouldn't be any spots left. If you still wanted to grasp a rare opportunity and crawl your way up there, you couldn't afford to be picky... So, they would select young girls who matched their tastes from this pool of youths... They would offer them financial support and good treatment, or else a job as a military secretary, albeit a secondary one, which promised a more-than-stable income...

...If the girls were too young to know how the world worked, they might still be able to refuse. They still had faith in their own talent. So, they certainly wouldn't sell their bodies and souls... However, once these people, who had been born as babies unloved by the government, began to realize how much determination and sacrifice it took to keep living in this gaudy city, it might have become harder to refuse...

Simply put, the only point of this party was for those men, each of whom had acquired several secondary secretaries with their money and positions, to show them off to each other in an utterly immoral way. On sofas here and there, men were obscenely groping the young girls' bodies. The girls themselves drew close to the men unhesitatingly, frantically trying to flatter them. Their tragic desire to remain in this city, to never return to that smelly old city, to remain alive... was painfully obvious just watching them from here... It was a scene of the young who wanted to survive... having their feelings and bodies devoured by blobs of flesh who had no intention of contributing anything to humanity or society.

Toujirou pushed down the feelings inside his heart, acting as though he was enjoying this scene while slightly drunk...

"No, no, I'm enjoying myself plenty over here. Don't you worry about it."

High Military Officials:
"That won't do. There's no need to be shy, come on! You're up next, wahahahahah...!!"

They were inviting Toujirou to join a group of officers who had told their secondary secretaries to go topless, making an immoral game of blindfolding themselves and seeing if they could tell whose breasts were whose by touching. His job for the night was over, but the brain hard drives of this immoral club's members were still like a mountain of treasure.

High Military Officials:
"Wahahahahaha!! Aren't you raking in enough that it's hard to tell which is your real job? Gahahahahaha!!"

Toujirou shrugged and was handed a necktie, then told to use it as a blindfold. Nearby, the women they owned were ordered to adjust their swimsuits to expose their breasts. Some smiled seductively and obeyed without hesitation. Some froze for an instant, then pretended to flirt and obeyed.

The girls began to obey one after another, but the very last one stubbornly refused. Toujirou noticed that she was biting her lower lip and hanging her head. When he saw from her expression that she wouldn't be able to hold in her feelings any longer, Toujirou recognized the twisted role that had been set for her.

High Military Officials:
"Hey, what's wrong?! Everyone else is stripping. Why are you the only one who isn't?!"

Girl:
"...I-"

When the men heard her force those words out, they burst out laughing. As if that was exactly what they had wanted to hear. Sometimes, as a twisted prank, these twisted VIPs... would intentionally not tell girls they recruited as secondary secretaries... about the true nature of this immoral job. They would offer her a reasonably high salary, and just as she had gotten used to a high-quality lifestyle, they would suddenly bring her to a place like this, so they could enjoy her innocent reaction. This girl had probably truly believed that she'd been selected as a secretary because they had acknowledged her hard work and talent.

However, this was the reality. The man who had acknowledged her, whom she had even adored like a father, had only ever been vulgarly interested in her body. The men intentionally spoke in a way that would make her feel cornered, forcing her to participate. The girls who had already sold their hearts followed suit and cheered her on.

High Military Officials:
"No one's forcing you if you don't want to. You'll just have to pack your bags and leave before the night is out."

...They truly were twisted, those sick lumps of flesh who just wanted to see her humiliated. The girl, who was finally starting to break down in tears, gave in to their demands. The lumps welcomed her exposed breasts with cheers and applause, but obviously, that didn't make her feel any better...

"..."

You sick pigs... Yes. This world... really is worthy of destruction...

The lump who had now truly become her owner put his arm around her shoulder, celebrating as if she had just gone through an initiation ceremony.

--Now then, let us hold a vote.

BGM: Ominous3

On the triangular table that the Three Kings surrounded... was a small bag with gold embroidery... and a small black bag. Jestress walked around the table, placing two coins in front of each of the kings. One of the coins was gold, the other silver. Imprinted on those coins was their crest, an inverted triangle and an all-seeing eye.

The Three Kings each picked up a gold and a silver coin, grasping them in their right hands.

"Our highest calling is to guide humanity down the right path. When civilization sends out sprouts of evil, when those sprouts bear fruits of malice, we harvest the wicked branches and fruits and hand over a just civilization, which has been pruned and ordered, to a fitting successor."
"...We have already finished preparing for the harvest festival. Tonight's decision is to determine whether the time has come yet or not."
"How short the A3W era was. A mere century."
"Hihihihi... Unless we're quite thorough, the A4W era might be even shorter. Hihihi..."
"Humanity should return to the era of sticks and stones. Then, it can build up civilization again. Eventually, they'll stray off the path again, but even so, they should be able to find several millennia of peace."
"All is in the name of guiding humanity down the right path."

After that, the two bags were passed to each of the kings in turn. They took the two coins they held, putting one in each bag. Only they knew which coin they each had placed in which bag...

After the bags were passed around, the bag with gold embroidery was handed to Jestress.

"Jestress, count the votes."
"Understood. I'll count them now."

The gold-embroidered bag was emptied on the table.

BGM: Shougendai

Jestress:
"It's a unanimous vote in favor. The Three Kings have decided to carry out the harvest festival. *giggle* It seems there weren't any contrarians this time."

Jestress giggled, then started clapping, and the men lining the walls started to clap too. Then, the Three Kings rose to their feet: one resolutely, one in a leisurely manner, and one pompously, seemingly enjoying the feel of the moment...

"The time has come to mercilessly reap the weeds that don't deserve to live, the rotten culture that doesn't deserve to remain...!"
"All is in the name of guiding humanity down the right path."

"I expect the best from all of you. Now, go."

The men along the walls all spun at once and left the room. They scattered. Scattered to all the corners of the earth. To their own nests and webs that had already been set up. And then, they made the very first move... in a massive game.

"I pray that our long-held wish comes true, and that we will be able to set down this crown."
"We'll work hard to make this old man's wishes come true. Now then, if you will excuse me."

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I feel like the warning isn't quite specific enough to be accurate, but that's essentially what it is, isn't it? I'm not the best at figuring out how to word content warnings.

Thanks for reading along so far. If this were Umineko, this would probably be around where everyone goes to bed at the end of the first day.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Quinn2win posted:

I feel like the warning isn't quite specific enough to be accurate, but that's essentially what it is, isn't it? I'm not the best at figuring out how to word content warnings.

That's absolutely what it is.

Thank you for doing warnings, by the way.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks for the content warning, Quinn.

Quinn2win posted:

Thanks for reading along so far. If this were Umineko, this would probably be around where everyone goes to bed at the end of the first day.

drat, sounds like we've reached the end of the cute future teen antics. Good luck surviving the First Twilight, folks!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

quote:

"In my case in particular, in order to crawl towards becoming a Gauntlet Knight, in order to grasp any chance I could without worrying about anything else, I was forced to frantically suffer day after day. I want to forget that part alone, to scrape it away."

So Gunhild went through something similar, I suppose. God.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Welp, Maja.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

So Gunhild is like, probably 18 at most, yeah? And Maja and the other sibling are the same age?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

PetraCore posted:

So Gunhild is like, probably 18 at most, yeah? And Maja and the other sibling are the same age?

No exact ages are given for any of the characters, but back in the prologue, someone makes fun of Gunhild's old-lady energy by suggesting that she got the ones and tens digits of her age reversed. So, 16-18 seems likely.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Quinn2win posted:

No exact ages are given for any of the characters, but back in the prologue, someone makes fun of Gunhild's old-lady energy by suggesting that she got the ones and tens digits of her age reversed. So, 16-18 seems likely.
Oh, gross. Not that the 'secretary' system would be better if it was all adults, but rather the implications here make it even worse.

The really hosed up thing is I can say 'wow at least Maja hasn't (yet?) been subjected to torturous human experimentation and then disposed of in a mass grave', which is what I was expecting. But this is not... a good fate. :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PetraCore posted:

Given the kids are vat grown I would assume Siblings are all the same age.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Given the kids are vat grown I would assume Siblings are all the same age.

Now that I think of it, what are "siblings" in this vatgrown world? People who are genetically related? People from the same batch at the factory? People raised together in the same government facility? Come to think of it, does the nuclear family unit still exist?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Crazy theory time: Okonogi is one of the Three Kings, and voted "no" last time they did this. Learning about the green/blue thing in Gauntlet Knight training pushed him over the edge and made him vote yes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Viola the Mad posted:

does the nuclear family unit still exist?

In the AOU probably not.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Viola the Mad posted:

Now that I think of it, what are "siblings" in this vatgrown world? People who are genetically related? People from the same batch at the factory? People raised together in the same government facility? Come to think of it, does the nuclear family unit still exist?
I'm assuming raised together in creches, may or may not be from the same factory, genetic relationship is more dubious. If Gun hasn't seen her siblings in 10 years, is that when she managed to get attention for gauntlet knight training?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PetraCore posted:

I'm assuming raised together in creches, may or may not be from the same factory, genetic relationship is more dubious. If Gun hasn't seen her siblings in 10 years, is that when she managed to get attention for gauntlet knight training?

It says you have to do Gauntlet Knight Training from really early, normally from Preschool age. Andry from Suparna is stated as being the latest starter in the world, having started at 13.

Edit:Double checking Gun's profile, she said to be average during her 3 year old exam, but managed to work her way up to be selected at the very late age of 12 after taking courses to improve PP levels.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

It says you have to do Gauntlet Knight Training from really early, normally from Preschool age. Andry from Suparna is stated as being the latest starter in the world, having started at 13.

Edit:Double checking Gun's profile, she said to be average during her 3 year old exam, but managed to work her way up to be selected at the very late age of 12 after taking courses to improve PP levels.
Alright, so if it's been 10 years since she's seen Maja and the shop owner, maybe 7-8 was when she was moved to intensive courses to improve her PP levels?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

However, that was just something that came like the seasons. In the end, everything would be left unsettled and forgotten, and the usual peace would continue on and on. That's what everyone believed, without any basis. Though it was cold, it was still a very gentle early winter.

December 1st.

COU Press Secretary:
"We of the COU Japanese military have responded to the AOU Japanese military's aggressive actions involving an armed drone in an act of justified self-defense! To protect the safety of our border patrol teams, we have been forced to take defensive measures in the Glass Sea!!"

AOU Press Secretary:
"We utterly condemn COU Japan's construction of military bases in the Glass Sea, a symbol of peace and a World War Relic!!"

News:
"It seems COU Japan has begun constructing bases with a military printer! From AOU Japan's perspective, this crosses a red line, and all hope for a peaceful solution is starting to look optimistic at best!"

COU Press Secretary:
"We will respond decisively to this treaty violation! The COU is announcing that military options are not off the table in this matter!"

ABN Press Secretary:
"In the interest of harmony throughout humanity, we offer the ACR a love-filled warning. The ACR must immediately suspend their persecution of refugee camps. You must acknowledge the sinfulness of your continued assault on world peace and-"

AOU Press Secretary:
"The ACR Royal Family and the ACR government should come calmly to the negotiation table. We intend to bring both the pen and the sword when discussing their illegal occupation of the Atlantis Spirit Fields."

Announcer:
"It's as though we can hear the footsteps of World War IV approaching! Will the curtain close on the A3W world? Was it really just the B4W world after all? The whole world is running wild at once, almost as though they planned it out beforehand!"

Until a second ago, this chat room had been a sort of battle royale... Once the big sisters from LATO arrived and warned everyone, they were finally able to cool their heads. True, because of their respective factions and positions, it was understandable that they each had things they wanted to say. But even so, the ferocity of the feuds that had been breaking out simultaneously across the world these past few weeks... was abnormal.

"Heheh... I suggest you remove those ferocious arguments you were just having from your logs. Heh. You may be titans who bear the military might of the next generation, but you really are still kids."
"...Hey, kid. Apologize."
"I'm so sorry..."
"That's exactly right. Momotake, you try and show some restraint too."
"I beg your forgiveness..."
"Still! After talking about this together for a while, you can tell, right? None of our countries want war!"
"That's right, wowowow! No one wants war!!"
"Everyone, please don't say sad things, and stop fightiiiiiiiiing, wowowow!!!"
"...If that's so, how did the world end up like this?"
"If no one wants war, why are so many people around the world doing things that make war likely?!"
"The world and truth are far from simple. At any rate, we all should work hard to stay calm and avoid rash acts. Heheh, that's all I have to say."
"Make sure you give your friends a reeeally serious warning about this too, okay? After all, until the world calms down, it's our job to continue holding up the Walls of Peace!"

After saying that with brisk, schoolteacher-like tones, the LATO big sisters left the virtual room...

BGM: Deeply Remember

"You're right... Still, it's easy to get emotional when it's about your country and your faction."
"When you're listening to two factions that aren't yours arguing, it really does sound like a silly feud..."
"And yet, some people are starting wars... It's so sad...wow."
"What's so fun about starting wars?! I don't get that at all!"
"...Well, it's possible some people would be happy about this kind of situation, right?"
"What kind of person could possibly be happy about this?!><"
"Probably people who stand to make lots of money from situations like this."
"...Conflict breaking out across the world has thrown the stock market into chaos. Stock in defense contractor companies is skyrocketing."
"I see, so people who invested in those come out ahead. What a clever analysis, Mariana! I'll pet you as a reward... hey, don't run away!"
"Are you saying there are people stirring up wars for the sake of money?"
"The other day, the IPMA hinted that they would step in, but in the end, they dodged the issue by announcing a policy of nonintervention."
"...By doing that, the stocks of companies that had risen rapidly temporarily fell rapidly. Then the IPMA suddenly reverses their position, and those stocks are back up to their highest values. What a truly tantalizing development."
"Aaah, I wish I could go back to the past, knowing what we know now meow!"
"I'm surprised to hear that from the money-wasting champion, who doesn't even have enough money to buy stocks."

If someone knew the timing of dramatic changes in stock prices beforehand... They would be able to buy at the ideal time, when it was cheapest, sell it all when it was at its most valuable, and rake in a huge chunk of wealth in just a few weeks...

"Dammit, they must be laughing all the way to the bank right now...!"
"This world is set up so that only those playing poker with the world as their cards can rake it in."
"*giggle* I wonder if one of those players would consider marrying me... Heheheh."
"My, my, how deplorable, searching for a marriage without love!"
"Love is everything! The existence of people who respect money more than love is what makes this world twisted and covered in darkness!"
"Those who deny that fact will receive Yeladot Shavit's depleted uranium bullets of heavenly judgement!!"
"Love and peace, huh? It'd be awesome if we could fight alongside each other for worldwide love, instead of fighting against each other under the orders of those old assholes."
"That's right! If only we could all join hands and take out the evil people trying to start world wars for money!"
(Yes, that would be wonderful...! Imagine Gauntlet Knights around the planet joining hands, standing off against a mysterious secret organization planning to overthrow the world order... But that's no good, Rukhi...! You aren't a kid anymore, so you shouldn't daydream about comic book things like that...!)
"You know, that might actually be more than something out of a comic book."
(Sh-She heard meee...eee...eee.)
"What do you mean...?"
"I'm just saying that there might actually be a secret organization, treating the world as its plaything and trying to line its own pockets."
"Princess, that's enough playing around..."
"It's almost time for the next event on your schedule."
"I see. In that case, we shall take our leave. Cairo Squad, make sure you aren't late either."
"Yes ma'am! Now then, everyone, it's time for us to leave as well."
"...I love ceremonies. You get paid just for sitting down..."
"See you later, everyone! Bye-bye!!"

When everyone from the ACR left, the others all apparently remembered things they had to take care of. One after another, they left the room, and the meeting was effectively over.

However, Rethabile's words remained in Miyao's ears. There might actually be a secret organization, treating the world as its plaything and trying to line its own pockets...

You've left "It's a Wrap Public Bath" poyo.

"You say you'll join hands and face off against a mysterious secret organization...?"
"Hahahahahahaha, hahahahahahahahahahahah...!"
"That's all wrong. You're the ones who are going to be killing each other! It's already been decided."
"That's right. This isn't a prediction, it's a prophecy."
"Heheheheheheheheheheheh..."

BGM: T's Blues

...Hmm? Wait, this laid-back music is...

When I shifted my attention to my mental display... Yep, it was him all right.

BGM: Komugiro no Bishou

I get it, I get it. That's enough of Dad's ringtone, okay?

"...Umm, what's this...?"
"'I'm in the area, so would you like to grab a bite to eat?', he says?"
"Old people love sending emails. Well, he did say that virtual rooms wear him out. Nothing you can do about people from the last generation."

His father had apparently been busy lately, so they hadn't met IRL hardly at all. However, recently, he had suddenly started to feel grateful for the fact that his father had raised him...or maybe he just felt apologetic for the one-sided hatred he'd shown his father during puberty. Anyway, they had started exchanging emails.

"I never even know which part of the world Dad's in. If I can go see him, I probably should."

The world was starting to smell of gunpowder. Even Gauntlet Knights were soldiers. Though they were often treated like esport contestants, they could be sent into combat at any time.

BGM: T's Blues

"If I wasn't feeling well, I wouldn't have come."
"I guess so. Have a seat. I don't have much time either."
"You make it sound like I owe you one. Are you saying you're graciously using your precious time to come see me?"
"What exactly do you think a parent expects to be owed, when coming to see his own son's face?"

He's apparently a big shot military reporter working for the AOU Combined Military HQ. From what I've heard, he got temporarily transferred to the IPMA or something, flying all over the world for his work. We grew distant after I entered my rebellious phase.

...Then, well, I started to feel a bit grateful to him for raising me. We did exchange emails now and then, but this was the first time we'd met in person in a long time.

"You did good at the Battle Standard Festival."
"I didn't do anything but embarrass myself."
"Don't get the wrong idea. I didn't say that as an insult."
"Those ignorant commentators had no idea how amazing your movements were right before you got shot down."
"It doesn't matter how amazing you are, if you get taken out."
"But that COU ace... Lingji, was it? I think that kid was just about to gray out. She won because it was a competition, but in an actual battle, she would've lost consciousness and crashed after that. If it weren't for that fluke, you would've at least taken each other out. You were in the lead then."
"You don't need to console me. Lingji is an amazing Gauntlet Knight. That's all there is to it."
"No, you were more impressive by far. I'm sure lots of clueless people have said things to you, and it's getting you down. Poor kid."
"Knowing you, I figured you would've lost some of your confidence. So today, for your sake, I've researched how excellent your movements during the Battle Standard Festival were, as well as what you could've done to win with certainty. First off, take a look at this data."

"I told you, I'm fine. Don't worry about it..."
"I'll start by describing the attack on the fictional base. This part has splendid movement that even an amateur can easily understand. In particular, this spiral around Marker A is astonishingly beautiful. And seven seconds later-"

...Ah, Dad is such a pain. He's always picking through the details of other people's records and scores. And kids are supposed to be like their parents on a genetic level? Don't give me that. I'll never become an adult this annoying...

...When I was really young, I wished I'd been raised in an incubator too. But people can't chose how they're born or who their parents are. In this world, where being ciconia-born is rare, maybe it's best to view the rare experience of having a father as a positive... With some laughter mixed in, we renewed the bonds of parent and child that had been cut off during my rebellious phase...

"Have you seen the news recently?"
"It's getting pretty hectic, isn't it? Are there bunches of people who really can't wait to start wars, or something?"
"There are. That's what you guardians of peace are for, right?"
"If my missions are to beat up people like that, I'll take as many as I can."
"How reassuring. Good luck, kid."
"Good luck to you too, adults. Don't push this all on the kids."
"Hahahahahahah."

Miyao:
"I am listening."

Toujirou:
"Turn off your Selcom. Listen to me with your ears and your heart."

Miyao:
"What are you talking about...?"

Toujirou:
"Just turn it off."

Are you sure you want to shut down your Selcom poyo? Thank you for your patronage poyo! We hope you use us again poyo!

"It's off..."

When the previous generation wanted to scold you, for example, they would often tell you to turn your Selcom off. While your Selcom was on, they apparently felt as though you were distracted and not really listening. This feels unpleasant, like I'm about to be lectured.

See? Dad's looking strangely serious and motioning for me to bring my face closer.

"...What is it?"
"Listen closely. I'm sure you and the others think this news is just people fanning the flames, and that nothing serious will come of it."
"But this time is different. It really will...begin."
"...A military conflict...?"

"...Whoa, hold on. You've got to be-"
"Listen closely, Miyao."
"Gauntlet Knights are closer to being a complete military technology than you and the others think. You'll probably be sent into actual combat right away."

Dad, who flies all over the world for work reasons, sometimes says extraordinary things. However, sooner or later, those predictions always came true.

"...I'm prepared for that. I'm not just a sim gamer."
"It's not just you. The whole world will be drawn into a terrifying conflict. You'll probably be drawn into a strange fight where you don't know who your enemies are, nor whom you should fight or whom you should fight for."
"...This is no joke. Your predictions are usually right."
"They're not 'predictions', in the sense of words that anticipate the future. What I give you are 'prophecies', words that have been left in someone's care."

...A prophecy...

This is neither a warning nor a prediction. It means that a future fate... has been told to me with words that came from God.

In other words, we aren't talking about possibilities. It's a verdict that will come to pass with 'certainty'. That's right, certainty.

Miyao:
"..."

Toujirou:
"I've known that this day would come for a long time. All I didn't know... was that it would finally start today. The ultimate tool for resisting evil fates and making the fate of your choosing come true... is the Gauntlet. At least, humanity as it is now has never before produced a greater method for an individual to wield power."

Miyao:
"...So, the reason you made me become a Gauntlet Knight was..."

Toujirou:
"If nothing happened during your generation, then it would've been fine. But, almost as though it was waiting for Gauntlet Knights to be completed, the day has come."

"What is your enemy, what is evil? Whom should you fight, and whom should you fight alongside?"
"Think. Always think. Never give up on thinking. No matter how incomprehensible it all seems."
"It...sounds like you're telling me to protect the world all on my own..."
"That's right. You're the strongest Gauntlet Knight in the world. That's what I raised you to be. Do you know why?"
"...No..."

"The fate of the world isn't up to the generation of old bastards like me. You young people need to decide and grasp it for yourselves."
"I gave you the power to do this. To do so, I spared no effort ever since the time of your birth."
"...Well, I am grateful for that, but..."

True, as far back as I can remember, Dad has given me a gifted education for becoming a Gauntlet Knight. It was like getting an advance payment, not only of money and effort, but of the next era itself.

"I'll have some coffee. How about you, Miyao?"

This ruthlessly sudden conversation had made Miyao's mind blank out for a while...

"...Umm, then... I'll have some tea-"
"Sorry, but could we have the check?"
"Huh?"

Waiter:
"Certainly, sir. Please wait a moment."

"What was that, all of a sudden...?"
"I told you. I don't have much time. And anyway, you're going to get a call any time now. Turn on your Selcom."
"I don't get it..."

But Dad was right.

It was a sign that something really ominous was happening, so you should go home and pick up your diapers so that you didn't wet yourself. It also came with a helpful message saying that this wasn't a drill...

Miyao:
"Dad... Is it really... going to start...?"

Toujirou:
"Prophecies are never wrong."

Miyao:
"Does that mean you know what's going to happen after this...?"

Toujirou:
"...Yes. I know."

Miyao:
"Then stop showing off and tell me! War's coming, right? Doesn't that mean a lot of people are going to die?!"

"Something like that has to be stopped at all costs! The young are the main characters, right?! We have to do something about this, right?! You gave me the power to do that, the power to control a Gauntlet! So, I can...we can definitely stop this!"
"You mean, prevent World War IV before it starts?"
"I have friends all over the world! And none of them want war! So, there must be people behind the scenes who stand to gain from starting wars! You must know about it, Dad! That people like that exist!"
"...As far as people who would celebrate the outbreak of war, well, I can think of a few."
"Tell me! I want to crush them!"
"Calm down, son."
"Even if I told you, what would you do? Are you a police chief? Do you have connections with a counterintelligence organization? You've been given an emergency summons and a stand-by order, right? If you do whatever you want, you'll be in violation of military law."
"Gauntlet Knights are stronger than anything, right?! Are you saying we still can't *do* anything?!"
"...There are things you can do. But this isn't the time yet."
"When will it be time?! Are you saying I should just watch the world plummet into war until the time comes?!"
"...Before long, when the time does come, you'll know."
"I've always hated the way you dodge questions and try to confuse me like that! Fine, if you won't tell me, I won't ask!"
"The main characters in every era are the young, right? In that case, we main characters will think for ourselves, decide what the best course of action is, and save the world! We'll stop World War IV! That's our job as guardians of peace...!!"
"Soon, I'll be able to tell you everything."
"But the time hasn't come yet, right?"
"...I hope it never does."

Dad signed the check brought to him by the waiter and rose to his feet.

"Don't die. I won't let you die. I will...we will definitely stop war from breaking out!"
"...I have high hopes for you, Miyao. If you can manage that, you really will be the main characters."

With that last strange sentence that was probably supposed to sound cool, Dad left without leaving any trace he had ever been there...

BGM: Wardakumi

"I got an email from Miyao..."
"What on earth could it be, at a time like this...?"

"...Hmph. That's just like him. Are you two going to read it too?"
"Well, if it's something he's likely to say, I can probably guess what it is already."

"That's so like him! But maybe this is exactly how we should be!"
"Miyao's so cute. I just wanna support him."

"Military might is the power of destruction and death. However, depending on the will of those who wield it, it can become many other things..."
"I-In other words, wow...? What should we do...??"

"We're soldiers. We obey orders. But within those orders, we can become either dogs or guardians."
"That's Noor for you! In other words, we mustn't fight out of hatred!"

"Will we really be able to stop a war by fighting...?"
"The conflicts sprouting up all over the place are being led by each faction's war hawks. If we take the wind out of their sails neatly and rapidly, it might change what happens next."

"Still, I agree with him. After all, we Gauntlet Knights have such great power, right?!"
"...I like it too. Whatever those old assholes are trying to do on their own, whether it's a war or anything else, we'll crush it ourselves so that it doesn't all go as they please...!"

"Yeah. If we all join forces and go all out, we can crush this world war!"
"None of us want war! If people try and start one up anyway, we'll stand against them! We'll resist them! We aren't pieces on anyone's game board...!!"

"If matters continue down this path, we of the Ninth Prime Chivalric Order may be restricted in our movements. I leave the decision to you, Lady Jestress. All is in the name of guiding humanity down the right path..."

"Toujirou" has entered the room poyo!

"Cities around the world all resemble each other, but the air and humidity and such of one's hometown really do feel different somehow."

BGM: Ominous3

"Hey, stop showing off the fact that you're monitoring me. That's rude."
"If it comes to that, I know you had a can of assorted biscuits for breakfast today."
"*giggle* But they're so convenient. They come with a bunch of different varieties, and you can put things in the can when it's empty."
"More importantly, how did it go?"
"No problem at all. It'll be on the news soon."
"People who can't be moved with money or connections really are a pain, aren't they?"
"People like that are why we're able to play at being James Bond in this era."
A news report just came in poyo!

The Prime Minister's office is apparently scrambling to appoint his successor poyo! Minister Yunoki is the leader of the moderate party currently in power, so his retirement will likely remove the breaks keeping AOU Japan's war hawks at bay. Is what they're saying poyo.

"He got sent to the hospital? That's so sad."
"In just a few days, the former minister's secretary is scheduled to leak information about some shady political contributions. It will then become clear that some of those were indirect contributions from COU Japan, and everything will be thrown into chaos."
"Now, no one will be able to stop World War IV..."
"I just hope this is the last major war."
"Still, you really are a bad dad, aren't you?"
"Even though your son is spurring on his friends to fight and stop World War IV, his own father is working in the shadows to make World War IV happen..."
"There's no helping it. The meaning of justice is something you've got to decide on your own."
"I can say 'do this' all I like, but I don't expect an obedient response."
"You're talking about Miyao, right?"
"No one ever does what they're told, unless it's the voice of their heart telling them. I guess money is the only exception."
"I've just sent yours over. What exactly are you still saving all this money up for? Even though the world's about to be destroyed."
"What will I do and where will I do it when the world is destroyed? It's worth earning this much just to be able to decide that for myself."

"You may have a point there. I'll probably still be caring for those three old fogeys when twilight comes to the world."
"I'm praying that the Three Kings' plans proceed well."
"...They're terrifying people. If they wished, they could bring about massive wars over and over again, until humanity is culled down to the numbers they desire."
"Still, unless I cling to their madness, my wish will never come true."
"Make sure you become a good woman too. If you do, then once this madness is over, you might have a future where you're sipping wine and gazing at the twilight with me."
"Are you seriously hitting on *me*? Still, all I can say is that I appreciate the sentiment. I'm more than satisfied with going down along with my opponent."
"As long as humanity has at least one man and one woman surviving at the end, this will be a victory for all humanity..."
"I'd like to increase that number by a few. That's my wish. Well then, I'll be heading out now."
"Then so will I."
"All is in the name of guiding humanity down the right path?"
"That's the kings' job. Not mine."
"From the time this body was born to the time its last cell is destroyed, I'll live for the sole purpose of erasing that nightmare."
"Well, it seems humanity will be having quite a nightmare itself, all so that you can erase yours."
"If my greatest wish is granted, humanity will be grateful to me, and they'll realize that my victory is humanity's victory. However, there's no telling how many people humanity will have left by then."
"Don't worry. When that time comes, at least I'll be there."
"Stop hitting on me. Doesn't that count as cheating?"

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I was wondering if parents were still a thing, since Meow mentioned having to sneak out at night.

I guess these kids are going to save the world with the power to be determined to stay friends and that this will go swimmingly...? Nobody is lying about this or has leverage in the form of weird brain torture implants at all, probably.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Miyao posted:

..Ah, Dad is such a pain. He's always picking through the details of other people's records and scores. And kids are supposed to be like their parents on a genetic level? Don't give me that. I'll never become an adult this annoying...

Truly a kid if he does not recognize his own habits.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I was going to say it's weird their dad didn't mention Meow at all, but idk if it actually is. It's very possible he and Meow carry on their own correspondence separately.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PetraCore posted:

I was going to say it's weird their dad didn't mention Meow at all, but idk if it actually is. It's very possible he and Meow carry on their own correspondence separately.

True I did not think of that, but yeah, Meow can access Selcom and read and do things independently of Miyao. So it makes sense they could engage seperatley.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

True I did not think of that, but yeah, Meow can access Selcom and read and do things independently of Miyao. So it makes sense they could engage seperatley.
And since Miyao is the 'primary' personality in terms of who is interacting with the world professionally, it makes sense he'd have the super serious 'this is war' conversation with Miyao, especially since Meow is listening in anyway. I mean, what's Meow going to do with that sort of pressure, if this was her conversation? Not much. Even with the Selcom shut off, Meow could have spoken up if she wanted to.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Sakusen Kaigi

Strategic Officer:
"As soon as the operation begins, the Aerial Augmented Infantry will advance at extreme low altitude, subduing the groups of anti-aircraft vehicles. After that, our fighter jet squadrons will push forward, subduing our targets with air-to-ground missiles."

"Rejoice, Warcats!! It's finally your turn! Show them the power of the Aerial Augmented Infantry!"
"Your only job is to turn four of the COU's damned anti-aircraft vehicles into scrap! It's enough to make you laugh, giving a little job like this to people with the power to take on a whole air base! Those old assholes don't believe in your strength at all!! Prove to them that all your puking's paid off!!!!"

Strategic Officer:
"The anti-aircraft vehicles being deployed are King's Shield 2900 Supers, which are autonomous short-range air defense systems. They're armed with 8-barreled 30mm rotary autocannons, as well as short-range surface-to-air guided missiles. However, they're running on previous generation software, so it's expected that they'll have difficulty targeting Aerial Augmented Infantry soldiers."

"In other words, they're no match for you! Once you've finished your job, get out of there at full speed. You'll have Longbow missiles flying over your heads, so it's all gonna go up in flames, you hear me?!!"

"It's pretty amusing. Until now, he's been calling us esport gamers all the time."
"We'll show them that we Gauntlet Knights are game changers. Today, they'll see that the world's military might and peace don't belong to geezers in conference rooms or middle-aged guys swaggering around. They belong to us, the young."
"Yeah. We'll crush the schemes of those old assholes who treat war like a game...!"

"I don't have time, but I'm listening. What is it?"
"This is just me talking to myself. Don't leave a record of it."
"Of course. We may be from different countries, but we're comrades flying in the same sky."
"About COU Japan's military expansion into the Glass Sea... Even in the COU, everyone isn't unanimously in favor of it. On the contrary, far more people are criticizing it, saying it will only provoke the AOU. Please, don't misunderstand. Even in the COU, none of us want war."
"Of course not. I never thought you did. I'm sure it's the same here. The crazy geezers who want war are moving ahead by themselves."
"About these crazy geezers moving ahead by themselves... Does that include the AOU Atlantic Fleet?"
"Rethabile!"

"From what I've heard on the news, even in the AOU, lots of people think the movement of the Atlantic Fleet is going too far. Some people even think the navy is running wild to make sure people don't forget about them."
"People in the COU have reached the same conclusion. They think that, if those people have a chance to look good, there may be no stopping them."
"It's just like you said, Miyao. Whether it's the subjects of the ACR or the citizens of the AOU, no one wants war. It's merely a scheme by someone planning to rake in money by stirring up war."
"However, if we go too far, that will just fan the flames even more. Very well. As a representative of the ACR royal family, I think I'll make a courtesy call to a certain aircraft carrier that bears the name of a former president."
"We're counting on you, Rethabile. Our enemies aren't the people and things in front of us."
"I understand. Leave it to me!"

"I suppose the order has been given to attack that refugee camp, yes? I know nothing about that, nor have I been told anything."
"Still, I'm just going to talk to myself a bit. The Father-King who founded our nation said he would reject none who came and chase none who left. If people unable to adjust to the ACR seek asylum, our national policy is not to chase them. However, the ACR royal family has far too many people in it. I cannot deny that there are some troublesome princes who fight over who can be more patriotic and radical, seeking more influence."
"You're saying that this incident doesn't reflect what the ACR royal family truly wants?"
"Whatever the ABN wants to do, for whatever reasons it has, that's for the ABN to decide. However, if you go too far, even the royal family will be unable to hold back its hard-liners. I don't think I need say more, yes?"
"Of course not, Princess. We aren't a form of military might that exists to start wars."
"Yeah. We're guardians of peace!"
"Stanisław. No, I believe you wanted to be called Stan. Can I assume that the forceful mining of spirit fields in Kashmir is the result of an ABN hard-liner faction moving ahead on its own...?"
"Of course. Everyone in the ABN wants peace. True, the ABN has no large-scale spirit fields, and they want the Kashmir Spirit Field more than anything. However, no one wants it in exchange for someone's blood. Every now and then, someone in the Leadership Council says that we should immediately stop the mining machines, but the military and hard-liners apparently opposed that strongly, saying that we couldn't afford to look weak."
"And if the COU military were to attack the mining machines...?"
"Your Press Secretary has already announced that you won't refrain from military action if the mining machines are not stopped. On the contrary, if you don't respond, it will probably give the hard-liners even more power."
"...So, do it neatly, without going too far. Is that what you're saying?"

"...I'm so glad I met you all at the Battle Standard Festival."
"Let's go. It's time to teach those mischief makers a lesson."
"Miyao, I'm grateful to you as well. If you hadn't spoken up at the Public Bath, and if you hadn't sent the email that made us join forces, some of us might have mistakenly thought of ourselves as mere game pieces in a war."
"Miyao, I'm so glad to have a friend like you...!"

BGM: Rouge

"...How foolish. Why would we need to fight back against attacks by old-style weapons that cannot even hit us?"
"Listen up. Baibao will make precision strikes against the mining machines alone. It will not be necessary to attack anything else."
"Heheheh. After all, unlike the Battle Standard Festival, destroying more than we need won't raise our scores."
"This strike is merely a message to ABN hard-liners, who have no intention of talking this over for the sake of international cooperation. Take great care to avoid unnecessary human casualties!"
"As you command!"

ABN Strategic Officer:
"Three squads led by the Holy 0901st Aerial Augmented Infantry Squad, Thalathat Suyuf, will immediately enter the area and protect the refugee camp, as well as the Leader of Peace that the ABN government is demanding be handed over."

"...I see. So we're buying time for a political solution."
"After all, the border of that leased land is like a minefield, a loophole in the law. It's a powder keg that might go off if either government touches it carelessly. However, some 'young' old people who just got their hands on power foolishly want to poke at it, solve the issue quickly, and earn more influence."
"If these people all came seeking asylum in the ABN, why hasn't the ABN ever accepted them...? Wow."
"An allergy to immigrants isn't easily cured, even after the miracle of three religions joining hands."
"Still, this time, the ABN will finally give them asylum, right?"
"That's right. They're even being pushed from behind. So, this issue has now been solved reasonably well. This problem mustn't be allowed to smolder any longer."
"After all, Gauntlet Knights are knights of the sky who keep the peace, wow!"

"...Sheesh. You know, it really grips your soul when they read out a script like that from an air-conditioned room."
"If you speak out of turn, it'll affect your official assessment."
"..."
"Ishak, Abdou. No, everyone involved in this attack, hear me. This is Rethabile of Squad 601."
"Don't misunderstand your mission. Our goal is to make the enemy fleet turn back. We are merely paying them an honorable visit, as subjects of the glorious ACR."
"...And if they want to fight?"
"Fool. Did you really think a carrier strike group would be any match for us Aerial Knights?"
"Heheheh. Ishak got shot down."
"This is not merely our first military operation since the founding of the ACR! It is also the first campaign of the glorious Aerial Knight Corps! We need neither valor nor barbarism! Neither destruction nor bloodshed! All knights, follow me! I'll show you how to fight with honor!"

BGM: Wardakumi

It was a vast region where nothing existed, where the silence of death continued on to the horizon. It was a World War Relic, visual proof that nothing good ever comes from war. How ironic that war would come to this stage again...

A military vehicle stopped at the edge of the massive crater, and Miyao and the others got out. They had managed to come this far in secret. However, in order to reach their target at the center of the Glass Sea, they would have to fly 100km over an area with no cover whatsoever. Even flying at 500 km/h, it would take them 12 minutes to reach that point. They would skim over the surface of the ground, avoiding detection by the enemy for as long as possible.

"Guess it's a challenge to see how closely we can hug the ground."
"Just you watch. I'll get so close to kissing the earth, I'd be able to shave my chin with the surface."
"Make sure you don't die in battle before the battle even starts."
"If you do, we'll have to engrave your idiocy on your tombstone."
"Here lies the world's first Gauntlet Knight killed in battle, who died trying to shave himself with the ground."
"Quit kidding around. Instead, I'll make you write that I was the world's first Gauntlet Knight to distinguish himself in battle!"
The command center has given the order to begin the operation poyo!

The strategic officer was giving hand signals for them to start the attack. The three of them nodded, then raced up the ridge that formed the rim of the crater. The vast, lifeless Glass Sea stretched out to the horizon in front of them, along with a cold, dry wind. The blue lights seemed more callous than beautiful.

"Just our luck, even though it's almost Christmas!"
"Let's go, Warcats!!"

Their target, the center of the Glass Sea 100km away, was quite noisy with the roar of construction equipment. Anti-aircraft equipment was being constructed with military 4D printers. Once that was complete, it would probably be possible for them to grasp the initiative all across the Glass Sea...

"...Still, is this really all right? I can't imagine that the AOU will overlook this."
"Gahahahahaha! Both you and the higher-ups give the AOU too much credit! They're cowards, I tell you, cowards! They can't do anything! Look here. Once this is complete and we've built up our position enough, all those weaklings will see that I was right! Gahahahahahahaha...!!"

COU Officer:
"Colonel, pardon the interruption, but we've received a message from the command center! 'Aerial support in the skies above the Glass Sea will be suspended for the next 24 hours'!"

"Wh-Wh-What did you say...?! These are the front lines of COU Japan! Why?! Why won't the air force fly for 24 hours?! Is this a political decision?! Who decided to play wait-and-see?! Aaah, get me a line to command!!"

COU Officer:
"No, a favor for you is no trouble at all, Major Mitake. Thank you for your gracious financial support."

"Same here. I owe you one from last time. Let's break apart the old assholes' game, along with the game board itself."

COU Officer:
"Yes. You take care too, Major Mitake. All is in the name of guiding humanity down the right path."

"Yeah, down the right path."

News:
"It's been pointed out that the ABN's peculiarly complicated political situation and their focus on saving face has made this a difficult problem to solve. It's led to a bizarre situation where no one has the authority to stop the mining machines once they've started moving, even if no one wants this to happen!"

News:
"Look at this! There's a crowd of people pushing forward! A main street in Islamabad has been filled with citizens protesting for their government to stop this provocation and work towards peace!! Oh, just now, armed police forces have started firing off tear gas!! This is becoming completely chaotic and-"

Captain:
"This is the flagship of the Atlantic Fleet, the aircraft carrier Roger Jamison, reading you loud and clear."

"Let both the ACR Royal Family and those wimps up the chain of command see!! If only I could've been a captain when this happened! I'm so jealous of you!!"

Captain:
"...Pardon me, but the primary mission of the AOU Atlantic Fleet is to support the Walls of Peace. Fighting a sea or air war is only one of our many, many means of doing so, and it's hardly a good one."

"Wh-Wh-What are you talking about?! I never knew you were so gutless! Aah, just turn over command of your ship already! I'll go back to active duty and give the order to...hmmm?! Are you listening to me?! Can you hear me?! Helloooo?!?!"

Captain:
"You're breaking up, so I'll have to end this transmission."

AOU Officer:
"...Captain, are you saying we should let them strike first? If we're hit with an ACR saturation attack, we'll be destroyed before we have a chance to fight back...!"

Captain:
"I have faith in the First Captain of the ACR Atlantis, Vice-Admiral Krumar. We're rivals who once competed in the naval division of the Battle Standard Festival. And, he should know that I'm commanding this fleet. We're fellow comrades supporting the Walls of Peace from both sides. He may enter the same waters as us as a political pawn, but I'm confident that he isn't the sort of person who would commit himself to a meaningless fight!"

AOU Officer:
"...*g-gulp*..."

International Volunteer:
"Th-This land is part of an ABN base! The ACR military isn't allowed to trespass here!!"

International Volunteer:
"His Majesty is a gracious man! I cannot imagine that he would call the people in this camp terrorists!"

"Shut up!! It's our job as subjects to take care of dirty jobs so that His Majesty needn't bother himself with them! Quickly, find the man we're searching for!! Arrest him for being a suspected spy!! Don't kill him. After all, we've still got to make him talk, gehahahahaha!!!"

Countless races and religions had always existed on the continent of Africa. The founding father of the ACR, the Hero King, had united them through quite forceful means. Doing so had made it impossible for a good number of people to stay in the ACR. Some of those people had gathered in a buffer zone near a military base, on land they were leasing from the ABN, and formed a refugee camp. Neither the ABN nor the ACR wanted to provoke the other, so for a long time, the existence of this camp was ignored.

...However, in recent years, some extremist generals in the ACR had started claiming that this camp was being used to hide terrorists, who objected to the foundation of the ACR...

International Volunteer:
"Isn't the ABN going to save us...?! Will they abandon the people of this camp in order to preserve the peace with the ACR...?! And besides, it's ridiculous to call that person a terrorist...! He was only helping people who weren't able to live in the ACR as an act of goodwill, and-"

"Again and again with the noise!! Why should I care about that?! Haven't you found him yet?! Announce that we'll kill the people in this camp one by one until he comes out! That should make him show his face! ...D-Don't actually kill anyone, okay? I just want the credit, not a mess on my hands...!"

International Volunteer:
"Th-That's insane... You're doing all this...just so you can give your career a boost...?"

ACR Lower-Ranking Officer:
"Pardon me! I have excellent news! We've arrested and detained him!"

"Ah, so you've found him?!! Then let's disperse at once! If the ABN military actually shows up, this really will get messy, gahahahaha...!! How's that for an accomplishment?! This'll cement my place as the leader of the young, go-getter generals, and those elders won't be able to get enough of me!!"

Currently, it was the ACR's greatest supply of Spiritium. However, since the very beginning, there had been trouble with the AOU over who had ownership rights to this spirit field. For this reason, the ACR treated this area as their nation's most vital line of defense, and had stationed the Superfortress-class Segmented Warship Atlantis here solely for its protection. This collection of 7 linked Fortress-class Warships... truly was a fortress on the sea.

"Vice-Admiral Krumar! We're being contacted by Lady Rethabile of the ACR Royal Family!"

Vice-Admiral:
"Princess, I hope you are well..."

Vice-Admiral:
"...Yes. We've been told to decouple and enter an intercept formation..."

"However, it doesn't seem as though you've decoupled yet, correct?"

Vice-Admiral:
"...Princess, I..."

"Stop there. You needn't say any more, Vice-Admiral. And there's no need to decouple either. Afterwards, you can dodge the issue by saying the decoupling mechanism didn't deploy properly."

Vice-Admiral:
"P-Princess, that means..."

"Leave the AOU Atlantic Fleet to me."

Vice-Admiral:
"L-Leave it to the Aerial Knight Corps...?! That would be too dangerous! Princess, if anything were to happen to you...!!"

"Right now, I'm a soldier of the skies before I am a member of the Royal Family. At any rate, you must let me have the first strike in this battle. Don't worry, there is no danger. Didn't you say it yourself? The person leading the AOU fleet is a peace-loving man worthy of respect. You need not worry. As a representative of the ACR Royal Family, I will merely be paying them a courtesy call."
"However, if they do not wish to respond in kind, we'll show both them and you the power of our Aerial Knight Corps. You'll see that I'm not so frail that you need to be worried for my sake. The Aerial Knights are the sole, unparalleled form of military might in this new era."

Vice-Admiral:
"P-Princess... As you command! I-I wish you luck...!"

"...Your Excellency, a-are you sure about this...?! If we don't decouple, we'll make a perfect target for the AOU fleet...!"

Vice-Admiral:
"Fear not! Contact all ships of the Atlantis. The Atlantis will not move. Rulers always stand firm. It is with that dignity that we will await the AOU fleet...!"

COU Officer:
"This already isn't what we'd planned for! We only constructed this base because we knew we'd have air support! And I'm sure even the AOU now knows that we've lost it!"

"What, are you scared?! Coward! Who needs air support?! Have you forgotten about the army's fighting spirit?!!"

COU Officer:
"The AOU will definitely attack! If we take losses, who's going to take responsibility?!!"

COU Colonel:
"You low-level officers and soldiers will, obviously!!"

COU Officer:
"And you claim that you *aren't* a coward?! If the AOU attacks, are you going to say you fought bravely?!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Rethabile a lot.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like Rethabile a lot.

She's one of my favorites! She plays up the whole 'haughty princess' persona a lot, but also clearly has a lot of self-awareness about how ridiculous it is. Just under that surface, she's intelligent, ready to play hardball, but willing to take a hard stand to uphold her principles.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, I think Rethabile is one of my favorites.

I feel like these operations are going to go wrong if conspiracy plants 'accidentally' do enough damage to escalate things. Doing only as much damage as needed to show your might while avoiding casualties is an excellent plan, but it involves everyone carrying out the operations to be on board.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Toujirou posted:

All is in the name of guiding humanity down the right path?

Love the question mark here. He's getting in super over his head and he has to know by now that he is exactly the kind of scum that the Three Kings despise most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Oh dear. Everything seems so fragile right now, and the existence of saboteurs within the Gauntlet Knight ranks practically ensures that it's all going to go to poo poo. Ughhhh these poor kids.