Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

DarkHorse posted:

There's a risk that McConnell could slow-walk the trial, forcing the Senators that are also candidates to be yanked around the country torn between campaigning and being present for Senate votes.

Its mostly making the best of a really bad situation for them

Wait I thought everyone assumed this was going to happen?

There’s never going to be a Senate trial while McConnell draws breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1201955465565003776?s=20

Might have been posted yesterday but Rand Paul has a “fix” to student loans

How in the gently caress is that a solution. You graduate with $50k+ in debt and a fat goose egg $0 in your 401k or IRA assuming you're just starting out in your career. Brilliant idea there, fuckface.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

bobjr posted:

LMAO, this is even worse the maternity leave plan that took the money out of their future social security claims

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1202631185052164096

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

How in the gently caress is that a solution. You graduate with $50k+ in debt and a fat goose egg $0 in your 401k or IRA assuming you're just starting out in your career. Brilliant idea there, fuckface.

Pay for your past with money that's supposed to be for your future!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Pay for your past with money that's supposed to be for your future!

Cool cool, so like, continue what we're already doing then

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ok, dotard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

Cool cool, so like, continue what we're already doing then

Yeah isn't that already how people are paying down debt? If they have a 401K or IRA at all, at least

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

Yeah isn't that already how people are paying down debt? If they have a 401K or IRA at all, at least

I assume most people are probably paying down their debts in lieu of contributing toward retirement at all. Or at least they're contributing at a vastly reduced rate than they otherwise would assuming a smaller or no debt burden. So I fail to see how this would change anything for anyone aside from maybe mid-career people returning to school.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What do you mean, you all didn't graduate with half a million dollars in your Roth IRA?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

Tbh, I'd use this. The 5% at best return doesn't beat the 8% staffords I have.

Popete posted:

What do you mean, you all didn't graduate with half a million dollars in your Roth IRA?

Wtf was your tuition? I know physicians from private schools with less student debt.

ummel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

bobjr posted:

And here I thought we'd kicked out the only comedian in the senate

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1202634332202045440

He really wants his Daddy's attention today

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

I assume most people are probably paying down their debts in lieu of contributing toward retirement at all. Or at least they're contributing at a vastly reduced rate than they otherwise would assuming a smaller or no debt burden. So I fail to see how this would change anything for anyone aside from maybe mid-career people returning to school.

It helps a little only because many companies do 401k matching, so you get basically free money.

But the people who need the most help aren't contributing to their 401ks. This helps middle class and up (in a terrible way) under some specific circumstances.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Melania is a clueless, apathetic person who has used the position she holds to do absolutely nothing about a country she holds no concern for. Whether it is wearing a jacket with bright white letters saying she doesn't care about incarcerated children, to her complete disregard for any matter of state or nation, to her anemic and laughable singular 'campaign' against bullying, to her absolutely tasteless sense of fashion or design, to the very public antipathy to her husband's desperate pleas for a connection, Melania Trump is everything that every first lady since Elanor Roosevelt has fought against: a potted plant, meant to do nothing but be seen, be silent and be shuffled out for a photo every now and again.

Using sexist remarks against her is demeaning because there are so many other things wrong that 'did a nude shoot' should be so far down the list as to be meaningless.

I just hope we aren't going to attack her for the yearly White House Christmas themes of A Very Suspiria Christmas, because letting people reuse their Halloween decorations for Christmas is pretty nice.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Projection.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

As a Catholic I am literally powered by hate and high balls

They'll drop eventually you just hang in there.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I still wonder what sort of kompramat the Russians got on their GOP hacks in 2016. The fact that so many Republicans are not running for reelection and yet not a single will even suggest considering anything re: impeachment is strange

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oxsnard posted:

I still wonder what sort of kompramat the Russians got on their GOP hacks in 2016. The fact that so many Republicans are not running for reelection and yet not a single will even suggest considering anything re: impeachment is strange

Why is that strange? Being a member of Congress sucks, especially a conservative one. You spend your days begging for money at least 4 hours a day. You have to meet idiots constantly and pretend you like them.

The payoff is you get to retire, join a “trade organization” like the National Association of Manufacturers, and use your privileges as a former member for special access and get paid the big bucks to lobby.

You don’t get to go get paid the big bucks as a lobbyist if you piss off your caucus by going against them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

This seems at most some sort of rear end-backwards way of getting a tax benefit, but I feel like some of my student loan payments were tax-deductible already?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Melania Trump is an awful human being and there are 100x reasons / ways to attack her without being misogynistic and bringing up her modeling career.

Like responding to every tweet she makes with “I really don’t care, do u?” For example.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 5, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VH4Ever posted:

Am I alone is thinking that stomping off, even in reaction to bad faith bullshit like this you KNOW you'll be asked, is something that now is going to be CLUNG to endlessly by the CHUD-osphere media? I mean why give them ammunition like that? Just say "No. Next question please" and dismiss them entirely. Stop feeding their narrative!

EDIT

Should have watched it first, I see now she was leaving and came back. Eh. I still think that response was....not really suited for what was going on there.

I'm not sure if I want to laugh harder at the idea of clutching pearls because the Right's frothing will somehow be more legitimate than usual because of her posture, or the idea that you rushed to comment before you watched it.

Jesus gently caress I am so sick of people considering how Republicans are going to react to things. It's going to be disingenuous poo poo that their base laps up whether there is truth to it or not. Who gives a poo poo?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Way to miss the point with that character rear end in a top hat.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

They will shame the next woman on your side regardless. Being nice to conservatives never pays off. As for your claim that its misogynistic, thats the Republican concern trolling that comes out whenever you point out their hypocrisy

Liberal: Hey Republicans, you said this this and this about Ms. Obama yet are silent when Melania does things you pretend to abhor. Its proof you weren't serious and have no principles.

DynamicSloth doing the Republicans work for them for some reason:. Hey! That's misogynistic!

I never said be nice to Republicans, it's your utter failure of imagination if you think the only way to criticize them is via a misogynistic trope. You are discrediting your allies in precisely the same way as if you'd use the n-word against a black Republican.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Way to miss the point with that character rear end in a top hat.

What do you expect from the South?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Why is that strange? Being a member of Congress sucks, especially a conservative one. You spend your days begging for money at least 4 hours a day. You have to meet idiots constantly and pretend you like them.

The payoff is you get to retire, join a “trade organization” like the National Association of Manufacturers, and use your privileges as a former member for special access and get paid the big bucks to lobby.

You don’t get to go get paid the big bucks as a lobbyist if you piss off your caucus by going against them.

I get that, I really do. I'm just shocked there's not a single one attempting to front run a possible return as a "reasonable republican" following the very likely scenario in which Trump is memory holed

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Wait until the hayseed real Americans find out Lindsay has been either watching Broadway shows or reading French (!) books. Damned elitist.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

She's a federal politician. She isn't responsible for her district. She just represents her district. Imagine if the President of the USA understood this.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willo567 posted:

What do you expect from the South?

:hmmno:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...what the gently caress does this mean? This guy wants Democrats to slow-walk things till April or May of next year now?

Yes? Why not expand the investigation to cover Trump's corruption, emoluments violations, sexual abuse, etc. and hang it around his neck for the next year?

The alternative is a show trial in the Senate that declares Trump innocent and everyone forgets about it by November.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yes? Why not expand the investigation to cover Trump's corruption, emoluments violations, sexual abuse, etc. and hang it around his neck for the next year?

The alternative is a show trial in the Senate that declares Trump innocent and everyone forgets about it by November.

https://twitter.com/blakesmustache/status/1202576302471032832

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

To force vulnerable Republican Senators to vote on impeachment, endangering their ability to get re-elected in November

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VrvhUU7Kok

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I personally can't wait until we elect a president with a premium snap.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

That's a possible interpretation, though it seems like a bit of an unnecessarily confusing strategy.

theflyingorc posted:

To force vulnerable Republican Senators to vote on impeachment, endangering their ability to get re-elected in November

I don't think "Republican voted in support of a Republican President" is going to be a very effective line of attack.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 5, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oxsnard posted:

I get that, I really do. I'm just shocked there's not a single one attempting to front run a possible return as a "reasonable republican" following the very likely scenario in which Trump is memory holed

I think it’s more likely Trump is thought of as Reagan 2.0, but regardless no one wants to get ahead of the game, that’s how you get labeled a traitor.

If Republicans ever feel shame about Trump, politicians can use the same lie voters will use “actually I never liked him, but I supported him because of....” and it will work because Republican voters will think “yeah me too!”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't think "Republican voted in support of a Republican President" is going to be a very effective line of attack.

It will in Colorado.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Isn't this guy one of those #resistance grifters who claim to know secret things and posts tweet storms every week "we got DRUMPF this time, guys!" ?

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ummel posted:

Tbh, I'd use this. The 5% at best return doesn't beat the 8% staffords I have.

Wtf was your tuition? I know physicians from private schools with less student debt.

You do realize you can already use your 401k to pay for school right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Aggro posted:

Wait I thought everyone assumed this was going to happen?

There’s never going to be a Senate trial while McConnell draws breath.

Correction: There is never going to be a fair Senate trial while McConnell draws breath.

The trial will happen. It's just going to be a shitshow. Fox News will not run the risk of letting it's viewers see the full unadulterated trial so it's just going to be two weeks of the defense generating soundbites before a party line vote to acquit.