Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

actionjackson posted:

I assume he must have some dirt on other Fox News people to be able to say this on air and not lose his job

No he is one of their token people who actually says some truthful things so they can go “Look see we are actually fair and balanced!” It’s all bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

theflyingorc posted:

There is no way we ever get the general public to give a poo poo about emoluments

It's at least worth putting out there. Showing solid evidence that he's enriching himself on his office is something that needs to at least be pursued.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's at least worth putting out there. Showing solid evidence that he's enriching himself on his office is something that needs to at least be pursued.

What do you think is the end result of them pursuing emoluments?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Hope we get articles of impeachment voted and then a release/leak of Trumps financials right before X-MAS.

Would be the ultimate PR explosion as a bunch of people on vacation get to sift through his financial bullshit for the last week of the year.

Please please please.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Showing that our tax money has gone to his properties and not towards other viable entities. They could make comparisons to what could have been funded if Trump cut back on his golf trips.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

By virtue of posting in this thread I’m sure I am more invested than 99% of the country and even I cringed and did a huge eye roll when they brought up Mueller yesterday, nevermind his constant grifting

Like I get there are a million things to get Trump on but I really truly believe there is one shot against the Ukraine poo poo and hope that through leaks, flipping, or being compelled, one of the big players gives up direct evidence.

Plus going for other things clouds the narrative and allows RWM and the base to focus on poo poo other than the main story and it confuses everyone

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2019

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Fart Amplifier posted:

What do you think is the end result of them pursuing emoluments?

They wont have to if we get the Trump financial release that was just ordered. We get to do it ourselves. They wont have to even bother.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ringo Star Get posted:

Showing that our tax money has gone to his properties and not towards other viable entities. They could make comparisons to what could have been funded if Trump cut back on his golf trips.
This is done, like, constantly

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

We already know this though. Everybody knows this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not only does everyone know that, it's a minuscule amount compared to the corporate tax cut and the other meddling that doesn't move money outside the federal government.

I mean, yeah, it's bad, but in terms of damage to America it's not the real problem.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Djarum posted:

No he is one of their token people who actually says some truthful things so they can go “Look see we are actually fair and balanced!” It’s all bullshit.

I think he's actually some sort of ideologically and intellectually consistent and honest libertarian who truly believes abuse of government power is something to be concerned about rather than the usual sort of libertarian you see, which is often just a republican who thinks weed should be legal. I don't know if I'd call him a token, but rather evidence of the risks of employing ideologically consistent people when you're a propaganda network.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Will there be a lot of judicial appointments if Dems win next year?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Trump has eaten through the backlog, they'll get a normal amount, but that assumes they get the Senate and presidency.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The judicial system is very large. There will always be a lot of judicial appointments to be made.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Per Wikipedia there are 870 judgeships that are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate, including the 9 SCOTUS seats.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I can tell, the only argument the Republicans have made is that oversight by Democrats is illegitimate.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

Per Wikipedia there are 870 judgeships that are appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate, including the 9 SCOTUS seats.

Yeah, trump's going to end up with a quarter of the courts, when normally you get like 1/8th to 1/6th.

If he gets a second term he's going to get like 1/3rd, which really sucks

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

I think he's actually some sort of ideologically and intellectually consistent and honest libertarian who truly believes abuse of government power is something to be concerned about rather than the usual sort of libertarian you see, which is often just a republican who thinks weed should be legal. I don't know if I'd call him a token, but rather evidence of the risks of employing ideologically consistent people when you're a propaganda network.

I've always viewed libertarians as Republicans who stapled a few post-it notes with "lol 420" onto their giant binders labeled "gently caress the poors".

Religion may be the opioid for the masses, but opioids are also the opioids for the masses. (I know weed isn't an opioid but I couldn't resist the wordplay).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah, but he has declined the 400k/yr salary of the Presidency because he's so rich.

SchrodingersCat posted:

I've always viewed libertarians as Republicans who stapled a few post-it notes with "lol 420" onto their giant binders labeled "gently caress the poors".

Libertarianism is the political ideology for privileged dumdums who still believe in meritocracy and believe racism, sexism, and all forms of systemic and personal prejudices don't exist.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 5, 2019

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
https://mobile.twitter.com/justinamash/status/1202616270337794049

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SchrodingersCat posted:

Religion may be the opioid for the masses, but opioids are also the opioids for the masses. (I know weed isn't an opioid but I couldn't resist the wordplay).

Yeah, my dad was a hardcore Republican who watched Fox News 24/7 and called himself a Libertarian because he liked to smoke weed, abuse opioids, meditate, and dodge taxes. He was claimed he was a Bernie or Trump guy who just wanted to watch the system burn down, but never had to prove it, and his deep misogyny played more of a factor than he cared to admit. He managed to vote before he passed and joked that my Hillary vote canceled his Trump vote out. Despite him living in Iowa and me living in New York City. He failed to see the significance of that fact.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 5, 2019

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
99% of people who tell you are libertarians will gladly vote republican because they want a tax cut

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Pollyanna posted:

Oh. Huh, I’m surprised it’s moving that fast once it actually got going. That makes, what, 6 months since hearing about the call to a recommendation of impeachment?

Republican's won't change their minds due to facts. It's their fear of their voter base, controlled by Trump which drives them, nothing else.

They know Trump deserves it, but they care more about political power than the constitution.

Better to just get it over with and if Trump wins again and Dems take the senate they can just remove him in a vote because they already impeached him. Which would be amazing to watch.

Trump wins, Dems win Senate and remove him and Pence, then take over the Presidency. It is my dearest hope that this comes to pass.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Hamelekim posted:

Republican's won't change their minds due to facts. It's their fear of their voter base, controlled by Trump which drives them, nothing else.

They know Trump deserves it, but they care more about political power than the constitution.

Better to just get it over with and if Trump wins again and Dems take the senate they can just remove him in a vote because they already impeached him. Which would be amazing to watch.

Trump wins, Dems win Senate and remove him and Pence, then take over the Presidency. It is my dearest hope that this comes to pass.

cool, too bad there is zero scenario imaginable in which the Dems get 2/3rds of the Senate and Trump is reelected

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, my dad was a hardcore Republican who watched Fox News 24/7 and called himself a Libertarian because he liked to smoke weed, abuse opioids, meditate, and dodge taxes. He was claimed he was a Bernie or Trump guy who just wanted to watch the system burn down, but never had to prove it, and his deep misogyny played more of a factor than he cared to admit. He managed to vote before he passed and joked that my Hillary vote canceled his Trump vote out. Despite him living in Iowa and me living in New York City. He failed to see the significance of that fact.

did you piss on his grave for this? please do. gently caress you, pops.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

actionjackson posted:

I assume he must have some dirt on other Fox News people to be able to say this on air and not lose his job

Fox self-conceptualizes as propaganda for dipshit idiot rural rubes who need to buy testosterone supplements, gimmick pillows, and life insurance. I don't doubt that they hire plenty of true believers, but you can see from the almost constant looks of horror on the face of basically every host that isn't ingraham/hannity/tucker that while they might be conservative, they certainly aren't personally buying the ridiculous narratives that they're selling. It feels like he's kept around because, at least lately, he's been speaking some unspoken stuff that people in the fox offices are feeling. It's also the irony of having Fox located in NYC: people there on all sides have hated trump for decades and the experience of just being a new yorker really gives you perspective that out of hand discredits a ton of the fear mongering bullshit that the channel produces.

Also there's certain things about this that have way more cultural relevance to new yorkers than to like jared from iowa. If you show new yorkers a picture of a fat old guy with pinky rings eating dinner in the back corner of some restaurant with some sketchy ukrainians, they can parse what is going on. Rudy and Trump both have been so comically and blatantly criminal that while everyone still has to do the 'they're not criminals' song and dance, that poo poo speaks for itself.

Still, I wonder the same thing because while that context does explain it a bit, idk, frankly it still seems weird that they've made a point of keeping him around.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Fox self-conceptualizes as propaganda for dipshit idiot rural rubes who need to buy testosterone supplements, gimmick pillows, and life insurance. I don't doubt that they hire plenty of true believers, but you can see from the almost constant looks of horror on the face of basically every host that isn't ingraham/hannity/tucker that while they might be conservative, they certainly aren't personally buying the ridiculous narratives that they're selling. It feels like he's kept around because, at least lately, he's been speaking some unspoken stuff that people in the fox offices are feeling. It's also the irony of having Fox located in NYC: people there on all sides have hated trump for decades and the experience of just being a new yorker really gives you perspective that out of hand discredits a ton of the fear mongering bullshit that the channel produces.

Also there's certain things about this that have way more cultural relevance to new yorkers than to like jared from iowa. If you show new yorkers a picture of a fat old guy with pinky rings eating dinner in the back corner of some restaurant with some sketchy ukrainians, they can parse what is going on. Rudy and Trump both have been so comically and blatantly criminal that while everyone still has to do the 'they're not criminals' song and dance, that poo poo speaks for itself.

Still, I wonder the same thing because while that context does explain it a bit, idk, frankly it still seems weird that they've made a point of keeping him around.

fox also is so effective at what they do partly because they introduce just enough "contrarianism" that its core viewers can comfort themselves with the idea that they've actually seen both sides before coming up with their horrible opinions

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

If they actually cared about their voter base they wouldnt have spent the better part of Year One bailing on their own town halls when they tried repealing the ACA. It's just their go-to excuse for not doing anything about Trump, not cause they're actually scared of getting backlash from constituents.

Seriously those dipshits will vote for them no matter what bad weather the officials rain down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean gently caress him/etc but he isnt fully wrong. i feel like if they had pushed that thread more it would have at least pissed off trump.

Parrotine posted:

If they actually cared about their voter base they wouldnt have spent the better part of Year One bailing on their own town halls when they tried repealing the ACA. It's just their go-to excuse for not doing anything about Trump, not cause they're actually scared of getting backlash from constituents.

Seriously those dipshits will vote for them no matter what bad weather the officials rain down.

not really, the only base these rear end in a top hat care about are those dipshits and the continually do this stupid poo poo to stay in their good graces because look how fast they turned on chickfille over empty bullshit.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i'm actually fully at peace with this whole thing. Anyone who hasn't changed their mind on trump at this point is completely irredeemable, not worth reaching over the aisle to, and now as a kicker: we get a vote in the house and senate where our elected officials stand on this.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean gently caress him/etc but he isnt fully wrong. i feel like if they had pushed that thread more it would have at least pissed off trump.

Yeah, Judiciary simply isn't going to have the same level of precision as Intel did. Nadler lacks the leadership and the size makes it even harder to keep on order. Expect a lot of missed opportunity.

Amash is my rep and I sent him a lot of sternly worded emails so I'm taking credit for him standing by impeachment. This is MAGA country though so he's going down in flames for 2020 and replaced by an almost certainly worse true bootlicker. He's a Libertarian dumbfuck who will almost certainly spend the rest of his career making people more miserable on a local level so I don't have any sympathy for him getting voted out, just not optimistic about his replacement.

At least he'll be around for the impeachment vote.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, Judiciary simply isn't going to have the same level of precision as Intel did. Nadler lacks the leadership and the size makes it even harder to keep on order. Expect a lot of missed opportunity.

I haven't paid as much attention due to life poo poo but another element is Schiff absolutely worked Nunes when it came to the rules.

The dems set it up as perfectly as they could, and Schiff was willing to enforce what they had agreed to. Nunes was a loving moron in a way that Collins isn't.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

oxsnard posted:

fox also is so effective at what they do partly because they introduce just enough "contrarianism" that its core viewers can comfort themselves with the idea that they've actually seen both sides before coming up with their horrible opinions

yeah agreed, but I don't think napolitano fills that niche, they normally get some transparently spineless punching bag for the role, even more so than he normally is

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

FizFashizzle posted:

I haven't paid as much attention due to life poo poo but another element is Schiff absolutely worked Nunes when it came to the rules.

The dems set it up as perfectly as they could, and Schiff was willing to enforce what they had agreed to. Nunes was a loving moron in a way that Collins isn't.

Yeah, I don't know enough about the main GOP ghouls as I should but either way Nadler is a lesser leader in a more difficult arena.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Hamelekim posted:

I actually don't think they know it, no. I'm sure a few of them do but a good number of them are morally bankrupt and intellectually inept. Nunes sat in the chair for weeks giving no thought to his involvement. It's literally :downs: but backed by 'dogma' and/or 'faith'.

Their fear is internalized: "I am right". They're not permitted to admit a mistake, because that would grant credence to "the other", so in the main hearings they focused on irrelevant tautologies. "If Obama withheld blankets for five weeks, that would have been illegal right?!" "Schiff lied when he said the whistleblower would testify right?!"

I'd really love to see a question breakdown of R versus D in those hearings, but I guess I have to wait five or ten years before some data scientist undergrad does it. "How many statements versus questions did each party use in the public hearings?"

Since "the Democrats can't be right", they'll crash everything before admitting or fixing one thing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Never underestimate the degree to which politicians engage in cold calculation.

There are true believers to be sure, but most Republicans are bending with the wind. They are in it for themselves, and see aligning with Trump as the safest option.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Never underestimate the degree to which politicians engage in cold calculation.

There are true believers to be sure, but most Republicans are bending with the wind. They are in it for themselves, and see aligning with Trump as the safest option.

Amash getting pushed out of the party didn't hurt. They have a concrete example of what happens if you don't toe the line.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am quite surprised that Fox hasn’t turned on Trump yet. Paul Ryan, who is a garbage human being but is no fan of Trump, took over as one of the heads of Fox News awhile back. We all know he has an axe to grind with him.

We all know Fox is going to turn on him at some point, it is just when.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/EpochTimes/status/1202070021247295488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Djarum posted:

I am quite surprised that Fox hasn’t turned on Trump yet. Paul Ryan, who is a garbage human being but is no fan of Trump, took over as one of the heads of Fox News awhile back. We all know he has an axe to grind with him.

We all know Fox is going to turn on him at some point, it is just when.

If anything that kind of shows how incompetent/inconsequential/cowardly Paul Ryan is that he’s so far failed to fire a single shot at Trump from what should be a consequence-free fortress position.