Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

life is a joke posted:

There’s a lot of paid promotion / bias / click-seeking in those lists, unless it’s a by-the-numbers most popular one. A lot of them just recap selections from the iTunes top 50 with little snippets of extra info. I know this isn’t super helpful, but I’m someone who gets sick of the same shows quick and am always looking for more, and a real “online peer group” of people who you generally know have the same interests as you is much better than a junior writer cranking out a “best of this month” list that is about the same as every other one. YMMV of course but if you have a subject your're interested in find where those people post and ask there.

Yeah, the only way that I've ever found to get decent recommendations is to follow performers and creators on Twitter (not the show accounts, but the personal ones of the people involved and when they retweet some show or mention working with someone, look up the shows or what they're involved with and subscribe to those. At least for indie stuff, there's a solid network of genuine mutual promotion that works pretty well.

I also haven't done it in a bit, but for a while I used Twitter's account recommendation algorithm to get recommendations. Essentially, follow the shows and creators that you like, then always look at which accounts Twitter recommends that you follow. If you see something interesting, follow them too and subscribe to their podcast, if it's not interesting, click the X to dismiss the suggestion. It's pretty messy and obviously doesn't vouch for quality, but if you're willing to give something a few minutes listen as a test, it's pretty effective at finding out new or interesting podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any good 50's style noire podcasts or podcasts from around that time that are fictional narrative based and not very music heavy? Playing Fallout New Vegas and I'm tired of Big Iron

The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio is a daily rotating golden age crime drama

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The 100th episode of Our Fake History is another piece of evidence that not every podcast should do live episodes

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I think there's strong evidence that the vast majority of podcasts shouldn't to live episodes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't be the only one who finds most live episodes of my favorite podcasts just plain annoying.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't be the only one who finds most live episodes of my favorite podcasts just plain annoying.

Pretty much any live episode that doesn't involve a McElroy.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I totally get how being there is a cool experience, but I've yet to hear a recorded one that wasn't basically "what if we did our normal podcast but with lovely sound quality and a ton more interruptions?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Live episodes of comedy podcasts are usually alright, as long as they're used sparingly. They can be a nice break from the norm and the timing shifts interestingly in front of a live audience—some of the Earwolf ones and No Such Thing as a Fish spring to mind. When I saw the Our Fake History episode pop up in my feed I archived it immediately, though. A shame because it's a great podcast, but it sounds like a very poor way to spend an hour of my time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
People get nervous in front of a crowd and charge harder for easier laughs, tend not to let anything breath etc... also a lot of podcasts edit the hell out of things (which helps the final product a lot of course) but they tend to just release the live ones as is, with maybe some real dead parts trimmed out. The biggest difference for me is the "improv 4 humans" podcast... I almost always enjoy the ones in a sound room and the live shows were just like listening to people practice comedy before I gave up on them. (So I'm sure I missed some good ones but whatever, there are a lot of podcasts). I think the dollop and the how did this get made are the only live podcasts I listen to now, in part because they're almost all live shows now. Your tastes/mileage may vary.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

UYD doesn't mark their live episodes as such which is my only quarrel. I always skip them.
live eps have got to be good for community building and fan engagement though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

Live episodes of comedy podcasts are usually alright, as long as they're used sparingly. They can be a nice break from the norm and the timing shifts interestingly in front of a live audience—some of the Earwolf ones and No Such Thing as a Fish spring to mind. When I saw the Our Fake History episode pop up in my feed I archived it immediately, though. A shame because it's a great podcast, but it sounds like a very poor way to spend an hour of my time.

the really annoying thing about the episode was that there was an actually pretty decent interview with a lady who had written a book about an interesting subject. That could have been a good episode if they had done it in the studio. Instead of live on stage where the host sounded like he was soaked with sweat

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

After hearing a lot of live Dollops where they clamp down on any audience rowdiness it was fun hearing the recent Do Go On where it’s Australian hosts interacting with a loud crowd full of Irish people drunk at a late show.

#notalllivepodcasts

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Azathoth posted:

I totally get how being there is a cool experience, but I've yet to hear a recorded one that wasn't basically "what if we did our normal podcast but with lovely sound quality and a ton more interruptions?"

Let's take questions from the crowd, and while we do have a mic hooked up to the room PA, we won't actually be recording any of that audio.
No, we won't repeat the question for the listener at home.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Let's take questions from the crowd, and while we do have a mic hooked up to the room PA, we won't actually be recording any of that audio.
No, we won't repeat the question for the listener at home.

But the audience will somehow always be louder than the hosts at every other time.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Sickboy and Sawbones are decent live. Sawbones leans more heavily into comedy and Sickboy is much the same with occasional noises from the crowd. I think I read somewhere that a podcast with a good following can end up with a significant proportion of their income from live shows, it would explain why my fantasy football podcast has live events when I can't think of anything worse.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I'm sure the checks are way better than the audible etc. ads get them. Also probably more fun to actually go to one if you're a fan (I went to a Dollop with Felix and Will from Chapo Trap House and it was great other than being overcrowded) than to listen to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have suggestions for narrative/serialized fiction podcasts?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have suggestions for narrative/serialized fiction podcasts?

there's an entire thread of recommendations here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826110

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah, of course there is! Thanks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah I saw WHM live and enjoyed them but hate listening to their live episodes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’ve seen Criminal live and that was a lot of fun. The McElroys were also fantastic, as were Ross and Carrie. But yeah agreed that listening to a live show isn’t much fun. One Dollop had soft whisper hosts and deafening Patton Oswalt.

One exception is LeVar Burton Reads, the live shows are fine and sometimes have musical accompaniment.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I get a special kind of annoyed when it's the one I paid $5 for, Chapo is terrible for this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: woops

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I really like Deathnography's podcast. Any other cultural anthropology podcasts worth listening to?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just low key subscribe to the Oxford anthropology lectures here: https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/anthropology
And In Our Time lol?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Does anyone have a recommendation for a "politics light" podcast? Like, say, what if Joe Rogan invited members of the DSA or Young Labour instead of chuds. (apart from chapo)

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

mike12345 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a "politics light" podcast? Like, say, what if Joe Rogan invited members of the DSA or Young Labour instead of chuds. (apart from chapo)

The Majority Report, mostly centered around US politics but they do cover some of the major international stuff as well.

What I'm looking for is a UK equivalent to the Majority Report. I like the quality and style of TMR and I agree with most of what they say politically, so I want to get a similar perspective on my own lovely countrys politics. I can't really trust the media here because they're even worse than yours in the US, believe it or not.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
A bit closer to Chapo than majority report, but Trash Future is good

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

A bit closer to Chapo than majority report, but Trash Future is good

trashfuture is very good, I like it more than Chapo

there's slightly less irony poisoning (or maybe I just don't pick up on it being north american)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've noticed more and more and more podcasts are switching from having Patreon bonus episodes to instead withholding standard episodes from the free feeds. In the past, I've attributed this to just... I don't know, greed? There have been many podcasts I used to contribute money to, not because I care all that much about bonus poo poo, but just to show my appreciation, and after they do this switch I feel annoyed and end my contributions. But it's happening so much now, most of my favorite podcasts do this. Is the podcast bubble imploding? Is it no longer sustainable to rely on people to just donate money out of charity and support, that this must be the path to which they must achieve the status quo?

Retronauts seems to be doing this now. I have been a Patreon for years now, and I guess I still will be because the work they've done is so good, but it feels dirty.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

credburn posted:

I've noticed more and more and more podcasts are switching from having Patreon bonus episodes to instead withholding standard episodes from the free feeds. In the past, I've attributed this to just... I don't know, greed? There have been many podcasts I used to contribute money to, not because I care all that much about bonus poo poo, but just to show my appreciation, and after they do this switch I feel annoyed and end my contributions. But it's happening so much now, most of my favorite podcasts do this. Is the podcast bubble imploding? Is it no longer sustainable to rely on people to just donate money out of charity and support, that this must be the path to which they must achieve the status quo?

Retronauts seems to be doing this now. I have been a Patreon for years now, and I guess I still will be because the work they've done is so good, but it feels dirty.

I posted this in another thread about Last Podcast on the Left going Spotify exclusive (though still free):

quote:

the way I understood it is that they're saying that the independent advertising market is essentially going away over the next couple years, at least so far as podcasts that require a full time team (researchers, producers, editors, etc.).

So once a podcast reaches a point where the money from patreon, merch, and live shows is insufficient, they either need to stop growing or cut back, and LPotL was facing a significant downgrade if they didn't pick an exclusive partner.

It's not exactly surprising to hear, given that the current advertising model seems to be to convince a very small number of companies to saturate the market, then move on when they run out of money (looking at you, socks, mattresses, meal delivery, and subscription boxes).
None of the ones I listen to have yet pulled that particular trick, but it seems like a response to the same pressure that got LPotL to go Spotify exclusive.

I do know that Mysterious Universe has been doing that for years and it seems to be working for them, but they occupy a somewhat unique position so I'm reluctant to say that it's a viable model for others.

My take is that it probably does give a revenue bump in the short term because it's likely to capture more fence sitters than lose people who are annoyed enough to cancel over it, but is a loser in the long term because it makes it harder to recommend and catch newer listeners.

When I recommend a podcast, it's almost never a recent episode I tell people to listen to. It's always something from the back catalog, and if the really good stuff is behind a paywall, there's an increased risk the person will just bounce off. That, plus natural attrition from people's tastes and financial situations changing, makes it seem like a bad move.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

How is Last Podcast Spotify exclusive? Is this about to happen? Everything (?) still shows up as normal in my feed reader.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
A few of my faves went [whatever model] only, and I am also seeing more shows keep really good guests behind the paywall instead of patreon poo poo being just little extras and whatnot. There's also regionally targeted ads now, and dynamic ads that change instead of just having them baked into the audio for all time. It kind of feels like it's just the radio industry now, that has slowly evolved to accommodate the on-demand nature of the new radio format.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Still. There are thousands of podcasts with old style ads, and thousands more without ads altogether. It sucks when podcasts you like cave into a more conventional radio model but its still an open medium. I don't hear a single ad on any of my podcasts and if I did, I'd unsubscribe immediately.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

Still. There are thousands of podcasts with old style ads, and thousands more without ads altogether. It sucks when podcasts you like cave into a more conventional radio model but its still an open medium. I don't hear a single ad on any of my podcasts and if I did, I'd unsubscribe immediately.

I disagree with this mentality - are you expecting the people making your favourite podcast to get nothing for it? Unless there is another way they can monetize it?

Nearly all the podcasts I listen to have maybe 2-3 15 second ads in them and thats for over 1 hour (and often 2+) of content. I think I can live with it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not expecting they get nothing for it. But I'm also not expecting they get something of monetary value. I just take a hard stance against ads because I think they are rather bullshit and also aggressive capitalism and consumerism which is disgusting and destroying the world. My sun was a pale dot today because of what unmitigated capitalist growth is doing to our planet. So yeah, I'm expecting that the podcasters I listen to abstain from trying to get their audience to buy more poo poo they don't need. It's gross and weird.

Plus, there are plenty - plenty - of good quality podcasts of ALL genres that don't have any ads nor ever will. This medium was built on DIY radio bullshit.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Cross posting from another thread -
Jamie Loftus did a 4 piece podcast on Mensa that's a lot of fun and interesting. She was also a really good guest on blocked party.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mike12345 posted:

How is Last Podcast Spotify exclusive? Is this about to happen? Everything (?) still shows up as normal in my feed reader.

They're moving over to Spotify exclusively in the near future, it hasn't happened yet. When they do, they'll pull all their other feeds and the only way to get it will be from within the Spotify app.

They did say that as part of the deal that it will always be free, so they're not locking themselves up behind a paywall. If you want that poo poo outside of Spotify though, better download it soon.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

terrorist ambulance posted:

Cross posting from another thread -
Jamie Loftus did a 4 piece podcast on Mensa that's a lot of fun and interesting. She was also a really good guest on blocked party.

Thanks for this. Any other kind of deep journalism podcasts that do not involve murder specifically? I like Gangster Capitalism, The Dream, Last Days of August, Against the Rules, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I don't know how much it qualifies as "deep dive journalism" but 2 out of the 3 seasons of Slow Burn are not about murder.

https://slate.com/podcasts/slow-burn/s1/watergate