Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

This is also really silly to me cuz by going to an electronic handbrake system you are actually removing components and failure points from the vehicle. It's a simpler design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcglWsEco4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Suburban Dad posted:

I looked into these because I loved my GTI but it didn't fit 2 rear facing car seats. It's the same rear seat dimensions as the GTI. :( The TourX on the other hand is cavernous (it's more like 16" longer according to google, which is nuts. 180 vs 196"). I test fit car seats in there and they fit just fine. Probably had more room in that than my current minivan which is 203".

I had to check into length specifically because I was concerned these things wouldn't fit into my garage when I was shopping. And it's very, very close as is. :v: I can't open the hatch on the van when it's inside, it's that tight.

yeah the golf wagons are just a golf, but packing much back

RIP tourx you were too good to live

T-Square
May 14, 2009

You weirdos seriously shifted the argument from manual versus non-manual to manual handbrake versus electronic handbrake?

STR posted:

Both times, at least once, I've sat there trying to figure out why the hell it won't turn over. Foot isn't on the clutch, dumbass. Stalled it twice today too. :doh: (IN MY DEFENSE that car stalls really easy compared to every other manual I've driven, except for a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage)

I stomped the left floorboard getting off the freeway when I drove a leg of our trip in the automatic rental car last weekend. Haven't done that in a while!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

:sigh: :rip:

How are VW’s compared to Audi’s? I like the BMW’s but they seem to be in the 30k range, and I don’t have the money for a sexy e63 ☹️

I picked up a 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen earlier this year and I still love it so far. Quiet, torquey, smooth, so far nothing has broken (except for the windshield :argh:). Half the time I just end up driving it around with the back seats folded down because I'm constantly throwing poo poo back there anyway. It wasn't my first pick, I originally wanted to find an E90 3-series wagon but found precisely zero after a few months of searching. Now I see a handful of really nice ones driving around every couple of weeks to taunt me :(

Also my wagon is a manual with a manual handbrake

E: Also, I want to get excited about the TourX whenever I see one (:rip:) but I just hate the stupid swooshy chrome trim piece that bisects the rear pillar. Why? Who thought that was a good idea?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Forums are completely jacked up for me did we switch image hosts or something?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Is this you? If not, videos of you doing handbrake turns tia

Also do a burnout

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I made an appointment for a test drive of a used car at a dealer yesterday and they have already called me back five times to confirm and find out if I was helped good enough jesus christ what have I done

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I made an appointment for a test drive of a used car at a dealer yesterday and they have already called me back five times to confirm and find out if I was helped good enough jesus christ what have I done

There's your problem.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

There's your problem.

Yeah well unfortunately there's no private sellers selling the cars I want.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

On one hand, I hate the mechanical ebrake on my DD because I have replaced every component in the system at least twice and still have a wheel chock in my driveway so it doesn't roll out into the street when I leave it running to scrape the ice off

On the other, I still haven't been able to get the seized bolts off my shittered abs module in half a dozen attempts so I'd be hosed with an electronic one too

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That's the Comcast model. It takes 3 calls to get a repair appt scheduled, then they'll call multiple times a day to confirm you still need a technician to come out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a bunch of people arguing about association dues on the neighborhood FB page and it's getting heated and one lady keeps posting HOW ABOUT ZERO DOLLARS over and over and I responded with NO DUES IS GOOD DUES and I am become dad joke plz kill me now.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

meatpimp posted:

There's your problem.

I was driving back through Indiana last weekend and a BMW dealer had billboards with their name spelled out under Christmas lights, like how Joyce strings the lights up in Stranger Things over and paints the alphabet under them, and the billboard said "Hawkins, Indiana" in the lower corner. I was like "Heh, that's kind of a cool way to capitalize on being an Indiana business."

Then when I passed the second one, I recognized it as the dealer who I contacted about a car YEARS ago, took ages to respond to my inquiry, and now constantly send me junk e-mails :mad:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

There's a bunch of people arguing about association dues on the neighborhood FB page and it's getting heated and one lady keeps posting HOW ABOUT ZERO DOLLARS over and over and I responded with NO DUES IS GOOD DUES and I am become dad joke plz kill me now.

You're doing god's work.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So in my newspaper scanning, Chevy is selling a Vauxhall Viva (1965ish), which I feel should be Viva! mainly because of Viva Maria! (1965)

I don't know if this is credible or not, but wikipedia has a bizarre fact about it:

quote:

The Viva was introduced a year after Vauxhall's fellow GM company Opel launched the Opel Kadett A. Both cars were a result of the same General Motors project and share the same floorpan and engine constructions, but with one main difference being the use of metric measurements for the Opel and imperial ones for the Vauxhall.

:psyduck:

I don't know if the Viva was sold in the USA

That is all

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tremek posted:

then the total outliers of the Jaguar Sportbrake

drat, I didn't know this even existed, and I don't think I've ever seen one in person. That would be a great dog hauler if they weren't $50k used, and I can only imagine if you need any part specific to that model it's going to be hell.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

So in my newspaper scanning, Chevy is selling a Vauxhall Viva (1965ish), which I feel should be Viva! mainly because of Viva Maria! (1965)

I don't know if this is credible or not, but wikipedia has a bizarre fact about it:

:psyduck:

I don't know if the Viva was sold in the USA

That is all

Pretty sure it wasn't. It looks very American, but I don't recall any Chevy or other GM brand variants of it appearing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also I should have a picture of this but Yamaha mopeds were being sold in Canada by CCM (Canadian Bicycle Maker?)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, I drove 35 miles for them to tell me that the car has "problems" and is with a tech. How about you let the tech go over the car before you put it up for sale? Or check on it before you call me five times telling me it's ready?

loving idiot morons, I don't get how some places stay in business with the absolute incompetence running rampant these days.

Cant wait for the dumbass manager to call me back.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

All you weirdos with your insistence on extra pedals and changing your own cogs. I bet you enjoy stabbing your horseless carriage with a jagged metal knife and twisting it to start as well. Embrace the push button start, and if you haven't do yourself a favor and drive a real good DCT.

Transmission chat is dumb but for real push button start is the best

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

One of the reasons i want a newer car is just for the keyless entry and start, it's so nice on the wife's Lexus I want it too :colbert:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, I didn't know this even existed, and I don't think I've ever seen one in person. That would be a great dog hauler if they weren't $50k used, and I can only imagine if you need any part specific to that model it's going to be hell.

The dealer 2 blocks away from my house has a black 2018 that they're still trying to sell as new. 80k retail, asking 54k. :ohdear:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Cool, I drove 35 miles for them to tell me that the car has "problems" and is with a tech. How about you let the tech go over the car before you put it up for sale? Or check on it before you call me five times telling me it's ready?

loving idiot morons, I don't get how some places stay in business with the absolute incompetence running rampant these days.

Cant wait for the dumbass manager to call me back.

This used to be a pretty big issue with us, but we've since started parking all of our trade ins to their own corner of the lot with NOT INSPECTED FOR SALE signs until they have, in fact, been inspected for sale.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

All you weirdos with your insistence on extra pedals and changing your own cogs. I bet you enjoy stabbing your horseless carriage with a jagged metal knife and twisting it to start as well. Embrace the push button start, and if you haven't do yourself a favor and drive a real good DCT.

My last car was my first push-button start car, and by the time I got used to it and stopped instinctively jabbing my key into the steering column, I got a car with the push button down on the center console. So now I instinctively jab the dashboard with my finger :v:

Also, yeah, keyless entry and locking owns. Except for when I go to start the cars in the morning, and walk over to my girlfriend's non-keyless entry car and sit there for a split second wondering why her car isn't opening, I can feel the key in my pocket, what the hell :argh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i had a car with push button start and one without at the same time and did not really find it tremendously more convenient

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

it'll let me come in hot and set up whatever hole in the scenery I wanted to make.

I just want you to know that I enjoyed this turn of phrase.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i had a car with push button start and one without at the same time and did not really find it tremendously more convenient

I don't have any experience with keyless entry and push button start but I've encountered two situations where I think I would appreciate it. In the winter I wouldn't have to take off a glove to get my keys out of my pocket. The other is when I forget something in the house after I've started my car and then have to turn the car back off to get my keys back to open the door.

Obviously neither of those are particularly compelling but it would be an improvement.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have a model year 2019 car, it has three pedals, manual parking brake, and uses a key.

:smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's just nice not having to take my keys out every time I get in the car. Also they hit my knee when i'm driving and sometimes it's annoying :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

I have a model year 2019 car, it has three pedals, manual parking brake, and uses a key.

:smug:

Third world countries don't count.

Actual conversation at my house this evening:

Me: I spent $300 on tools today.
My Wife: Good.
Me: Explaining why I spent $300 on a Milwaukee Cordless Finish Nailer.
My Wife: I never question you buying tools, I know you'll use them.

I have the best wife.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My wife and I would not get very far if we questioned each others purchases.

Our biggest arguments center around her cavalier attitude toward bringing animals home. The SA adage about horse people is 100% true btw.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

Third world countries don't count.

I will continue to ignore the opinions of Americans then.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

We're all on the third world, sillys

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

taqueso posted:

We're all on the third world, sillys

Sure, but thankfully most of us aren’t driving Mitsubishi penalty boxes.

Edit: UPS delivered 3, but notably not 4, HREs with Michelins today. The 4th box hasn’t been scanned in 2 days. Just that kinda year

Tremek fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 6, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tremek posted:

Edit: UPS delivered 3, but notably not 4, HREs with Michelins today. The 4th box hasn’t been scanned in 2 days. Just that kinda year

That’s frustrating.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The new Hyundai Sonatas look amazing. I know people have been saying for 10 years that Hyundai and Kia are getting better for real tho but this looks like a class leading sedan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

The new Hyundai Sonatas look amazing. I know people have been saying for 10 years that Hyundai and Kia are getting better for real tho but this looks like a class leading sedan.

I totally agree. I watched a 30 minute review of it today and I'm smitten.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
a 90's Hyundai was a deathtrap shitheap. A 2019's Hyundai is a class-leading car that has dutifully stolen all the best designs from Ford, BMW and Honda and I say: good for you.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

T-Square posted:

I originally wanted to find an E90 3-series wagon but found precisely zero after a few months of searching. Now I see a handful of really nice ones driving around every couple of weeks to taunt me :(

could this be because the wagon is the E91 :shobon:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Ether Frenzy posted:

a 90's Hyundai was a deathtrap shitheap. A 2019's Hyundai is a class-leading car that has dutifully stolen all the best designs from Ford, BMW and Honda and I say: good for you.

Their blobby 90s badge needs a redesign.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ether Frenzy posted:

What about an 80's Hyundai like I drove in college? :ohdear:

The thing was loaded in comparison with contemporaries in its market segment, and I got it 2 years old for next to nothing at a repo auction because nobody knew what it was or how to price it. Plus, it smelled like coolant. It died on me on the way home, I forget the issue there. The coolant was a heater core they had a recall on. The only problem was that I was in indiana and the nearest dealer was over an hour away.

It was a good car, but man, they've really come a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I like the rest of the new Sonata but that godawful front is about as good looking as this

And about as meaningfully designed.

Its not like many other gaping maw 2010's cars are any better mind.