Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

pootiebigwang posted:

While there are aspects to this which are definitely true (getting Metallica or literally any major label artist to supply some songs for example) there are still plenty of insanely talented and independent artists out there (the ones that have an actual reason to believe in exposure bucks) who would be more than willing to supply music at a nominal fee. I just feel like if music is literally the driving force of your game than it should be curated and thought out well beyond "beat go fast."

I’m very aware. I work with one of those labels. FiXT actually.

While we’re not insane to work with large artists can be. A lot of labels don’t quite understand smaller teams can’t afford insane fees and others seriously have no idea there’s even a want for music on there label.

Music in gaming is definitely still a weird place. And a lot of the smaller labels don’t really know how to handle stuff like licensing for content creators or ad promos or actual game content. And let’s not forget most of this music is chopped up, remixed, all kinds of stuff to make it work for a game a lot of the time. And that’s a whole different bucket of worms there. Some artists don’t like things chopped up, may not have instrumentals, etc.

It’s way more complicated than calling up random band and making it work.

Keep in mind I’m not some expert but music license sales and stuff is actually something I’m doing right now this moment. Odd timing for this convo. Heh.

Delta-Wye posted:

It's too bad that tiny little Beat Games doesn't have money for licensing fees.

I won’t comment on them, because well, lol, not a fan of how they operate. I think you’ll keep seeing more awful maps though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stormland is easily the best VR shooter on the market. I hope they make more content for it, I'd buy the dlc for sure if they make any.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

Stormland is easily the best VR shooter on the market.

Factually incorrect; H3VR has picatinny hat attachments for guns now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Factually incorrect; H3VR has picatinny hat attachments for guns now.

Yeah, plus Anton added in a way to earn them that provides players with a sense of pride and accomplishment, as all great game devs do.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm picking up a Quest hopefully today after much deliberation for a long time as my first VR attempt. I don't know where to start and hope I adjust OK since I'm very motion sick prone, but I'm way excited. I've been dreaming of something like this since I was a kid for flight sim stuff.

Way back when I was like 11 I had Afterburner for my NES and a little joystick controller. I borrowed a tiny TV from my grandmother (one they used in their camper when traveling) and made a little enclosure in my room out of blankets with a chair inside for my first attempt at a home simulator. So I can't wait to eventually get flight stuff setup with this as well as some games to get me more active. I'm curious to try out some of the wifi streaming options I've seen, like Virtual Desktop or ALVR. Disappointed I have to buy the VR version of some stuff I have PC versions for, but it's understandable.

Thanks for all the suggestions for stuff to start collecting mentioned over the last few pages! I'm bummed I missed the recent sales, but will keep an eye out. I have family visiting during the holiday so I thought it'd be fun to get some stuff to share with them.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is there any way to use the link with the quest but still Chromecast to the TV? I guess I could just Chromecast my whole desktop. Like to explore Google Earth with the kiddo

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

pootiebigwang posted:

I'm sure this has been said a billion times and I know it's subjective but I just wish the default go to music type for games like Beat Saber and Pistol Whip wasn't the samey generic EDM. It's a completely different kind of game but the way Tetris Effect utilizes music and just the overall auditory experience is one of my favorite VR experiences so far and it contains a whole level of nuance and curation that I don't feel like has been matched in any other VR music heavy game.

You might not see it as an improvement, but there is another option; where western music games default to generic EDM, East Asian music games default to generic J-pop and K-pop. Games like Airtone and Deemo Reborn have their own problems but they are at least a change from Beat Saber and Pistol Ship's styles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao, if you're gonna respond, read the post.

Buddy I will never not smash the post button with reckless abandon.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I'm kind of constantly disappointed by the frame performance I get on my Index with a 3900x, a 2080ti, and everything on a fast NVME drive. I can't even hit 144hz in The Lab's main level select area, mostly hovering around 100. Only places I get 120 or 144 are very simple games like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, etc.

Any tips where to start looking for potential bottlenecks on my PC? Maybe it's some settings I have in SteamVR given I do some VR dev work on the side?

Looking at FPSVR it’s almost always a CPU issue.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Probably start by checking the frame timing profilier

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Calipark posted:

I'm kind of constantly disappointed by the frame performance I get on my Index with a 3900x, a 2080ti, and everything on a fast NVME drive. I can't even hit 144hz in The Lab's main level select area, mostly hovering around 100. Only places I get 120 or 144 are very simple games like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, etc.

Any tips where to start looking for potential bottlenecks on my PC? Maybe it's some settings I have in SteamVR given I do some VR dev work on the side?

Double check and make sure steamVR isnt running at over 100% resolution scale. Then start bumping it up til you hit that point it runs like poo poo.

That + In game AA and such is going to potentially murder things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Calipark posted:

Well, the problem isn't the 2080ti lol. (and the hard drive doesn't matter)

144hz stereo is a big ask for most games. Its gonna depend upon the application and settings you can tweak, but IDK. I haven't tried The Lab since I got an Index, but it was built before the Index existed when 90fps was the only real render target.

You say you can get 120/144 in Beat Saber and Pistol Whip, if that's true I think that's just... how it is, dude. Obviously though you can tweak the render resolution in steamVR if you are willing to trade that for frame rate. But also maybe go over your steamvr developer settings and turn off the steamvr beta if you have it on right now.

That's one thing I've been kinda wondering, is it better to do 90hz and render at 90fps or is it better to do 144hz even if that means you're constantly using reprojection? OTOH higher rate, reprojection, should make you feel better. On the other hand, reprojection isn't rendering, so that can create some weird warping artifacts.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 5, 2019

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Thanks for the advice. Turing off SteamVR's auto resolution tweaking made a huge difference. Looks like the 2080ti was pushing the res well over what my CPU can handle in games that did their own post processing.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Maybe try something like CPUCores that lets you constrain the OS and set CPU priorities easily?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Clitch posted:

Maybe try something like CPUCores that lets you constrain the OS and set CPU priorities easily?

This is so overkill and totally not needed.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Calipark posted:

If you really want to know where your frame time is going and you have the technical knowledge to make sense of its output there is no better tool than GPUView. It's very esoteric, though, and its useful documentation is limited to one blog post by a former Microsoft intern who helped develop it over a decade ago so it's not for the faint of heart. In spite of the name it's more of a tool for analyzing CPU issues than GPU ones.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

EbolaIvory posted:

This is so overkill and totally not needed.

If he's trying to nail down a CPU bottleneck, it's something he might get some useful info out of, seeing that he's also a developer.

gently caress, you're abrasive.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was just thinking about what I’m really missing on my Quest and I’m thinking some kind of semi realistic racing game would be awesome. Less Mario Kart and more Forza. Would love a motorcycle game too but I’m not optimistic.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Was just thinking about what I’m really missing on my Quest and I’m thinking some kind of semi realistic racing game would be awesome. Less Mario Kart and more Forza. Would love a motorcycle game too but I’m not optimistic.

Do you have a gaming PC as well or just the Quest? Project Cars 2 and Dirt Rally 2 are both great VR racing games that will work with a link cable. I'm sure there are others but those are the two I have experience with.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a gaming PC but it’s due for a refresh for VR compat, and unfortunately I don’t really play enough games to justify dropping a thousand or more CDN on it at the moment :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You'd be shocked what kinda computers can push VR, especially at Quest framerates and if you don't mind turning the resolution scale down a little.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Calipark posted:

Check the telemetry settings in Windows. Search for "diagnostics" in the settings app. If it's Full instead of Basic, it might be loving with things. Sure did so over here.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Clitch posted:

If he's trying to nail down a CPU bottleneck, it's something he might get some useful info out of, seeing that he's also a developer.

gently caress, you're abrasive.

His issue was steamvrs automatic resolution scale. Its a lot of peoples problem. (KEY POINT HERE)

You recommended an application thats entirely overkill for a simple thing, without a disclaimer, explaining, or anything really. With his/her hardware, theres no reason to really to mess around at that level (More so just playing a drat game). If they were running some potato rear end hardware, and trying to eek out some extra frames, sure. But for most average VR people, this is totally out of the scope of most peoples use case. More so when they may or may not understand what it does.

But hey, some people like to reach right for the shotgun and start blasting instead of understanding whats actually happening first.

With that said. You could have easily just said "Hey seems like you got it sorted but this app might be useful for you as a dev in the future"

Nah, You didn't do that tho. You just recommended it blindly without acknowledging the actual problem was resolved.

But hey, I'm abrasive.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

[said abrasively]

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lol I was just about to say "that post wasn't really all that abrasive though?" and then welp

self-fulfilling prophecy

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol I was just about to say "that post wasn't really all that abrasive though?" and then welp

self-fulfilling prophecy

Was kinda on purpose. >_>

Gonna call me abrasive, ill give you some.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Death Lap just released, it's cross buy and cross play for $20.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1954488057986071/?locale=en_US

I haven't seen any full reviews yet, but it looks great, and I've been dying for more cross play titles between Quest and Rift (I'm on Rift, but I have three friends on Quest and it really limits our multiplayer options).

I've also really been wanting a game where you drive with one hand while shooting a gun with the other, and this definitely delivers on that concept.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Speaking of new shooters, I'm waiting for sniper elite vr to come out. I get to be that bullet that shatters hitlers ball.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Death Lap looks fun as gently caress and I can't wait for Interstate 76 VR

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants

rage-saq posted:

A short list of my Beat Saber go to mappers for current mapping stuff that’s also good for Maul
Heisenberg
Rustic
Ruckus
Joetastic
Ryger
Kuritsa

If I see a map by these guys I’ll play it no questions and it’s almost always solid. Heisenberg especially, his stuff just always jams and is often totally amazing for Maul

This list should include bennydabeast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Benny is kinda hit or miss. His good stuff is really good tho

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Benny is kinda hit or miss.

He had decent maps back in the dark times of mapping. Once the mapping got more complex, he totally fell off. I'd recommend him for new players but once you hit E/E+ nah, you realize quickly how meh most of his stuff is. Plus most of his stuff is honestly boring unless you REALLY love the song. Its all serviceable for the most part but he loves to throw in his benny walls and make you duck all awkwardly for no reason, combined with kinda boring copy paste mapping. At least with Rustics (older) stuff you can speed it up to 150-200% and its still kinda fun.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Benny is good for new mappers but he hasn’t really dropped any new tracks in some time, and most of his stuff he dropped near the end was still classic Benny gen1 mapping. Not that it’s a bad thing per say
Heisy maps though, are exactly my jam. Fast with amazing flow, I did this decent-ish run last night of one he did earlier this year that is still a favorite of mine called G4M3 0V3R by Celldweller

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/517460295

My complaints in the vid about being able to see were because BS was lagging like hell earlier until I did some random thing that fixed it. You know, typical beat saber poo poo. When the lag is bad (but still runs) and it just kind of slows it all down it makes you feel like you’ve forgotten how to play because you can’t hit poo poo

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I love FPSvr to check out game performance on an overlay. It shows GPU and CPU load, percentage of reprojected frames, etc. These can be found via other means, but FPSvr ties it together conveniently, along with a cord twist overlay that hasn't bugged out on me like Turn Signal did.

Easily worth the 3 bucks or whatever it costs.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

Play a harder difficulty or actually dance.
Synth Riders is more about movement and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAoxiX0vXpU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

100% how to play synth riders.

Also that song is BOP af. I love Prizm.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

EbolaIvory posted:

His issue was steamvrs automatic resolution scale. Its a lot of peoples problem. (KEY POINT HERE)

You recommended an application thats entirely overkill for a simple thing, without a disclaimer, explaining, or anything really. With his/her hardware, theres no reason to really to mess around at that level (More so just playing a drat game). If they were running some potato rear end hardware, and trying to eek out some extra frames, sure. But for most average VR people, this is totally out of the scope of most peoples use case. More so when they may or may not understand what it does.

But hey, some people like to reach right for the shotgun and start blasting instead of understanding whats actually happening first.

With that said. You could have easily just said "Hey seems like you got it sorted but this app might be useful for you as a dev in the future"

Nah, You didn't do that tho. You just recommended it blindly without acknowledging the actual problem was resolved.

But hey, I'm abrasive.

Clitch posted:

The demanding tone and confidence in my post! I'm such a loving bulldog who will accept nothing short of doing exactly what I say!

Or maybe I tossed out a suggestion that even Grammarly responded to with a shrug emoji, but I guess I got up to pee and didn't hit refresh before I rolled that tennis ball into the thread, so I deserve a facefull of your rabid foam spray.

CPUCores is not yanking out the Windows kernel to install some experimental alien tech I received in a post DMT epiphany. It's not a drastic solution. It's a utility that does a thing I find useful once in awhile that is fairly intuitive and easy to use. If he owns it, he could see what effect, if any, it would have on his performance in all of five minutes, then turn it off and forget it exists until he loads up some old game that doesn't play well with multiple cores. That's how I use it.

I wouldn't make it a week as a girl scout with that meek-assed sales patter, but apparently "hey, maybe do a thing" was so threatening to you that you had to thump your chest and shove your nuts in my face to preserve dominance over a forum thread.

Yes, you're abrasive. You're also a condescending douche. Get hosed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Will you two just kiss and make out and record a video and send it to hotmom6969@aol.com as a joke it's someone I know and DEFINITELY not me haha

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is abrasiveness: the thread. We’re all heavily invested in niche tech and we will die defending our purchases goldurnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is abrasiveness: the thread. We’re all heavily invested in niche tech and we will die defending our purchases goldurnit

It's not niche! There are like 3 upcoming games!