Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I use a shitload of cage traps. It's easy enough to strip the inmates. No bodies means no bad thoughts.

Eventually I get tired of all the naked goblins and things making GBS threads up my cage/pasture interface and have to get rid of them. I've tried moving them all into a single cage near the edge of the map, hooking that cage to a lever, and just releasing them and hoping they leave, since the siege is over the should leave, but sometimes they just get stuck hanging around. Or throw them into pits, but mass pitting is complicated and even a real deep pit doesn't kill 100%. If there are invaders and animals and monsters they will fight and mostly kill each other off, but then there's corpses to deal with again. You can toss them into a shooting gallery and let the archers train, but make sure the archers can't get in when they run out of arrows and want to bash things with crossbows. Oh, and make sure the shooting gallery is obscured by walls so passing civilians don't freak out.

So one way or another they are still a pain to deal with, but cage traps give you the luxury of time to deal with it (unlike corpses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

I use a shitload of cage traps. It's easy enough to strip the inmates. No bodies means no bad thoughts.

Eventually I get tired of all the naked goblins and things making GBS threads up my cage/pasture interface and have to get rid of them. I've tried moving them all into a single cage near the edge of the map, hooking that cage to a lever, and just releasing them and hoping they leave, since the siege is over the should leave, but sometimes they just get stuck hanging around. Or throw them into pits, but mass pitting is complicated and even a real deep pit doesn't kill 100%. If there are invaders and animals and monsters they will fight and mostly kill each other off, but then there's corpses to deal with again. You can toss them into a shooting gallery and let the archers train, but make sure the archers can't get in when they run out of arrows and want to bash things with crossbows. Oh, and make sure the shooting gallery is obscured by walls so passing civilians don't freak out.

So one way or another they are still a pain to deal with, but cage traps give you the luxury of time to deal with it (unlike corpses).

I haven't played in a little while, but wouldn't magma solve the corpse and survivor problem with pitting?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I haven't played in a little while, but wouldn't magma solve the corpse and survivor problem with pitting?

magma is the cause of, and solution to, all of a dwarf's problems

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I'm partial to a drowning chamber myself, if you've got good access to water and low access to morals

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Excelzior posted:

magma is the cause of, and solution to, all of a dwarf's problems
:hmmyes:

It's all a matter of how elaborate you want to get. Getting magma to the surface is tetchy. Drowning ponds would be easier, but since invaders don't need to sleep there's always a chance some bugger will just level up swimming instead of dieing. Mix lava and water to encase your enemies in obsidian.

I wish there was an option like in rimworld where you could just take their stuff and set them free. Go home, you're dunked.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's all a matter of how elaborate you want to get. Getting magma to the surface is tetchy. Drowning ponds would be easier, but since invaders don't need to sleep there's always a chance some bugger will just level up swimming instead of dieing. Mix lava and water to encase your enemies in obsidian.

I wish there was an option like in rimworld where you could just take their stuff and set them free. Go home, you're dunked.
Personally I've started generating worlds with a minimum of 80 or 90 surface volcanoes.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Deep magma pit it is then. I'm going to have to add more surface construction to funnel them in though. Digging away all those levels of crap without accidentally hitting the cavern areas will be a bitch and a half though.

No thoughts about raiding dark fortresses with ogres and demons oh my?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Drakenel posted:

Deep magma pit it is then. I'm going to have to add more surface construction to funnel them in though. Digging away all those levels of crap without accidentally hitting the cavern areas will be a bitch and a half though.

No thoughts about raiding dark fortresses with ogres and demons oh my?
Are you supposed to do that in adventurer mode or just slap some hammerlords in masterwork steel armor and point them at gobbies?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Not adventure mode, to be clear. Fortress mode. I guess I'll have to up my steel production, since I seem to not find any more iron in the area it'll have to be through trading or melting all these steel anvils

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Is the best defense still a one-tile width ledge over a huge pit with wooden training spear traps set on repeat so that the goblins dodge into the void?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oof and 20 seconds after I load big siege comes in and shows crusher traps are not helpful against ogres. Big mess to clean up after half the military died.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What kind of crusher traps, bridges?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

What kind of crusher traps, bridges?

Yes. I mean, technically they probably could, but ogres are huge, and when I try the bridge just breaks. (Though that may be them destroying it so fast before it can activate. I need to move the levers)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Drakenel posted:

Not adventure mode, to be clear. Fortress mode. I guess I'll have to up my steel production, since I seem to not find any more iron in the area it'll have to be through trading or melting all these steel anvils
Well I mean more are you sending squads out on missions or building forts right rear end-up next to the goblin fortresses? Because that, in fact, would be a badass kind of challenge mode.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Eh. Squads on missions. Though that'd be interesting if I had the patience.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Drakenel posted:

Not adventure mode, to be clear. Fortress mode. I guess I'll have to up my steel production, since I seem to not find any more iron in the area
Feed goblin attacks through a bunch of cage traps, remove the caged goblins' equipment and melt it down, then throw them into a magma pit or something to get rid of them.

Goblinite ore is an inexhaustible supply of iron for nearly any dwarf fortress!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Eh. Squads on missions. Though that'd be interesting if I had the patience.

I don't think that you can end a civ in play right now, it might just keep generating fake goblins for you to fight if that's what you're asking

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is why you put a retractable bridge over your drowning level in your pit. Doesn't matter how good a swimmer they are if they can't get to air (Exception grudgingly made for fish, but if they are in your pit trap then you have done something very silly with the ocean or a river).

I stopped using cage traps because of the time consuming nature of disposing of all the prisoners. And also because, at least at the time, squads and animal herds would play "follow the leader" with their pathing and thus would simply hang around where the leader got themselves cage trapped forever/until retreat was called.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sometimes I catch myself reading Dwarf Fortress stories half way thru and think about how insane all of this must sound for anyone unfamiliar with it. Like in the 90s there would be a NBC news segment quoting this post and how video games are poisoning the youths.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Popete posted:

Sometimes I catch myself reading Dwarf Fortress stories half way thru and think about how insane all of this must sound for anyone unfamiliar with it. Like in the 90s there would be a NBC news segment quoting this post and how video games are poisoning the youths.

It's a game the really seems to encourage dispassionate psychopathy as a solution to each and every problem.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

between df and crusader kings you can really make some spicy "game quote or crime against humanity" games

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its a good thing the only games that scaremongers know the existence of is CoD, Fortnite and GTA.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah none of these games show screaming people getting blown up or shot with realistic-sounding guns etc. "Oh, it's that game with the soothing guitar music" etc.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The guitar music is quite soothing tbh

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Give me a local news segment of a reporter reading horrifying crimes against dwarfmanity well screencaps of ASCII dwarves gouging the eyes out of goblins and throwing bodies down 50 Z level wells plays in the background.

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 5, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FXeupOp04

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has Tarn ever considered writing a DF album cause I bet he could make some money that way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Always reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LixNxSGzlGA

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it reminds everyone of that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Popete posted:

Has Tarn ever considered writing a DF album cause I bet he could make some money that way.

As long as it's mostly solo stringed pieces. I feel like he hit on something there keeping it relatively simple.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Did I see somewhere in one of his interviews that he was planning to do a couple more pieces for the steam release? Or am I imagining that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Huh, I just realized that the existence of chicken leather means dwarfs don't consider chicken skin edible. If KFC opened a franchise there it would go broke because everyone would think they were serving meat wrapped in leather.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Facebook Aunt posted:

Huh, I just realized that the existence of chicken leather means dwarfs don't consider chicken skin edible. If KFC opened a franchise there it would go broke because everyone would think they were serving meat wrapped in leather.

I'm now imagining a dwarf wearing shoes made of KFC skin, and I don't think I've ever hated anything as much as I hate this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
delicious

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

cave spider riding microgoblins wearing chicken leather armor

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Iunnrais posted:

Did I see somewhere in one of his interviews that he was planning to do a couple more pieces for the steam release? Or am I imagining that?

I don't know about Tran doing more pieces, but there will be more music in the game, from Dabu: https://www.dabuaudio.com/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
This fortress is invincible, if anything goes wrong in this community I’ll eat my shoes. Deep fried preferably.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Would you like a side of pigtail socks with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm now imagining a dwarf wearing shoes made of KFC skin, and I don't think I've ever hated anything as much as I hate this.

Cooking really should have an overhaul now. Gotta get that crispy chicken tenders for my dwarfs.