Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I've never seen a company miss the fundamentals of what makes a space game as badly as CIG. Asteroids had better shooty bits in 1979. Space War had better physics in 1962. Star Raiders on the Atari 2600 had more immersive and sensible controls and a better game loop in 1979. Stand tall, Chris, you've made your submoronic entry into one of the easiest and most prolific gaming genres in history and you hosed it up so goddamned badly that nobody knows what this poo poo is that you've put out. There's no vision, no game, no fidelity, no immersion, no thought, no anything.

In a sense, Star Citizen is the best representation of space that's ever existed: the vast majority of it is absolutely nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

Yeah the goal post moving and excuse making has already begun. RDR2 and Death Stranding looking light years ahead of SC on a peasant box and having all of the dumb autistic level fidelity was the straw the broke the back of their argument that SC’s amazing graphics justify 8 years and 300 million dollars.

Now its either, “SC looks amazing for an MMO”, “other games with better graphics aren’t doing anything near this amazing scale!” or “the graphics are only tier 0, it’s still in alpha and you can’t compare it to released games now even though we’ve been comparing to released games for years!”

Once Flight Simulator is released not even the most tojalesque backer will be able to deny it. Scale? that's a real sized planet, not a tiny toy one like in SC.

The difference of quality is large enough to overcome self-delusion. That poo poo looks unreal.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile I'll be playing Riven, talk about state of the art graphics

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Yeah the goal post moving and excuse making has already begun. RDR2 and Death Stranding looking light years ahead of SC on a peasant box and having all of the dumb autistic level fidelity was the straw the broke the back of their argument that SC’s amazing graphics justify 8 years and 300 million dollars.

Now its either, “SC looks amazing for an MMO”, “other games with better graphics aren’t doing anything near this amazing scale!” or “the graphics are only tier 0, it’s still in alpha and you can’t compare it to released games now even though we’ve been comparing to released games for years!”

Nothing says quality like objects flickering and z-fighting each other everywhere. :)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

The difference of quality is large enough to overcome self-delusion.

I think I'll take you up on this one. There is no power in the universe stronger than certain humans' ability for self-delusion. People can set themselves on fire and scream until they die that there's no fire and they are in fact feeling fine. If aliens were studying us from afar I propose that one of the things about us that would confuse them most is that some of us literally can't see objective reality. (I'd like to imagine a space-faring race who've worked around the practically insurmountable problems surrounding interstellar travel could not have done so without being quite a bit past the stage of self-delusion. Or maybe they just left those back on their home planet.)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

z-fight is real!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

its the thoatse posts that make me stop scrolling.
mr. thoatse when are you gonna release your collected work on blue ray?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, friends, it's been awhile. Can you summarize what's happened while only using one vowel letter?

(Other vowels are a stretch goal)

Ooof

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

<thing> of <thing> is some of my favorite games that have been awesome. This inevitably means so will this game.

Though isn't this named awfully close to some game Derek Smart made back in the day?

ah you mean that game “battle of cruiser 3000AD“
what an incredible achievement
but seriously every game which is called “X of Y“ i cannot play. except these two:

shadow of THE colossus
day of THE tentacle

real edit: now it dawns on me that each game which is called “X of THE Y“ might be good!!

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 5, 2019

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Guys it was Line of Defense. That was what I was thinking of! I think. :)

Congrats to CR for the cool game! Can't wait to play another substandard FPS arena death match game because Steam sure isn't totally loving inundated with thousands of them.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Derek Smart - Balls of Steel

:smug:

(dont doxx me derek im a sociophobe)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I think I'll take you up on this one. There is no power in the universe stronger than certain humans' ability for self-delusion. People can set themselves on fire and scream until they die that there's no fire and they are in fact feeling fine. If aliens were studying us from afar I propose that one of the things about us that would confuse them most is that some of us literally can't see objective reality. (I'd like to imagine a space-faring race who've worked around the practically insurmountable problems surrounding interstellar travel could not have done so without being quite a bit past the stage of self-delusion. Or maybe they just left those back on their home planet.)

There is a point where the difference in quality (even for something that is quite subjective) is so large that it breaks self delusion, not that those shitheads are going to admit it. So it goes from actual self delusion to just lying about it to save face.

Unless a person has an actual brain issue, but then it's not self delusion either.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bumble He posted:

Derek Smart - Balls of Steel

(dont doxx me derek im a sociophobe)

Chris Roberts - Balls of Blue

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Bumble He posted:

ah you mean that game “battle of cruiser 3000AD“
what an incredible achievement
but seriously every game which is called “X of Y“ i cannot play. except these two:

shadow of THE colossus
day of THE tentacle

real edit: now it dawns on me that each game which is called “X of THE Y“ might be good!!

Age of Empires, Company of Heroes is pretty good

Pillars of Eternity comes to mind, but not really a fan.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
chris roberts: “make that ball blue“
backer: “i will my lord!“

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

echothreealpha posted:

Age of Empires, Company of Heroes is pretty good

Pillars of Eternity comes to mind, but not really a fan.

Path of Exile

Free to play - Grinding Gear Games developed it without Kickstarter/backers money.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Well I for one can't wait to play another subpar arena shooter FPS game with a poor frame rate, janky animations, and pop in and object flickering like nobodies business!

This is my cup of tea! I love pain and suffering which is why I love Star Citizen!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Kickstarter of Lies

Chris Roberts dream "game" where he uses other people's money to enrich himself and his wife while failing to deliver on the promises he makes.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Kickstarter of Lies

Chris Roberts dream "game" where he uses other people's money to enrich himself and his wife while failing to deliver on the promises he makes.

Pretty good idea. Wish I had thought of it!

My biggest problem is I have some moral values. I don't think I could straight up lie to thousands of people for a decade while taking their money and promising them something wonderful is going to happen. :(

The only thing holding me back from insane success is loving morale values. :(

Why couldn't I have been one of the Roberts? I'd of been the best sister who also loves the number 42 because it's my lucky number and not because it's tied to a hugely popular franchise of nerdom. Also I think CR invented the sandworm and Dune better be paying him mad royalties for taking his ideas.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

trucutru posted:

Once Flight Simulator is released not even the most tojalesque backer will be able to deny it. Scale? that's a real sized planet, not a tiny toy one like in SC.

The difference of quality is large enough to overcome self-delusion. That poo poo looks unreal.

"It's made by Micro$oft, meanwhile CIG was built from scratch! CIG is the ambitious INDIE!"

They'll find a reason. No matter how awful and nonsensical it can be.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Microsoft didn't even build their company. :rolleyes:

They just appeared out of thin air and were already built. Unlike what CR has to do by wrestling a company from the ground up. This takes time and dedication.

I'm glad my donation money was spent on buying hundreds of DSLR cameras for the textures 6 years ago and for the countless hours spent making janky animations in the Imaginarium. This is how a real company is built!

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Someone should really stream Star Citizen as an investigative cosmic horror series.

Find out the story of the ghost train. Is it linked to why Arc Corp Planet is filled with catatonic residents?

Are there space poltergeists that possesses the ships?

So many bugs that you can spin as lore.

echothreealpha fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 5, 2019

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
loving dp

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, friends, it's been awhile. Can you summarize what's happened while only using one vowel letter?

Recent news - e-peen jpegs preferred, these clever nerds deem them the best ever spend. We here merely persevere. The end.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's time for another

INSIDE INSIDE STAR CITIZEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLEKddCwrRY

The post where I summarize the show that summarizes the presentations that summarized the last year of work by CIG!

In this week's episode:
* Jared mugs at the camera, skip skip skip
* Oh okay they're just replaying the space colonoscopy video from the convention, but they have devs talking over it so it takes five times longer
* This is almost a game mechanic in that it is a link between one solar system and another, except the other solar system isn't ready to show
* They took a 2 minute loading screen for a zone that doesn't exist yet and made an 11 minute video about how they built it
* That's all for this week, Jared says some more bullshit

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 5, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Recent news - e-peen jpegs preferred, these clever nerds deem them the best ever spend. We here merely persevere. The end.

U /ju/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Really looking forward to the next month of INSIDE STAR CITIZEN as Jared flails and the devs recap the non-features of the convention, one by one. How can anyone watch this glacial poo poo and think things are moving at a good pace?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

Really looking forward to the next month of INSIDE STAR CITIZEN as Jared flails and the devs recap the non-features of the convention, one by one. How can anyone watch this glacial poo poo and think things are moving at a good pace?

You linked the wrong video. ALso they didn't leave in the part where they clip out of the coloscopy .

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BE MORE POSITIVE

Your friends do not secretly like the things you post.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SoftNum posted:

You linked the wrong video. ALso they didn't leave in the part where they clip out of the coloscopy .

Whoops, fixed

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

f

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

Poo

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

It's still poo poo

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
drat, bloody citizens get everywhere

When they start turning up on a channel that predominantly plays train tycoon games (and a bit of sport)... hmm.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jonny Shiloh posted:

When they start turning up on a channel that predominantly plays train tycoon games

Sounds just right actually

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Uh-oh.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You mean to tell me something shown at CitCon isn't indicative of what we'll see in the actual game???

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE

Bofast posted:

It is a strange attitude to be sure when talking about ED. It's not like the game has really changed much from when it launched so if it has been ok for 500 hours they probably got their money's worth..

Every time my eye catches "500" anywhere in a post my mind automatically assumes I'm about to read stimpire.txt.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Every time my eye catches "500" anywhere in a post my mind automatically assumes I'm about to read stimpire.txt.

While I don't have any children (that I know off), I am looking to adopt some just so I can read them the stimpire.txt each night as a bed time story.

Or maybe re-train as a school teacher and get my class of students to recite it each day like those crazy American school teachers and their pledge of allegiance.

The young must be brain washed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit: posted:

I am also worried about being doxxed. I am not the most popular person on Reddit and let's face it, there are several people on Something Awful that would love to dox me and make my life miserable. That's just the kind of people they are. I can't put my family through that.