Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

sebzilla posted:

So.

If we get a hung parliament but the Tories are still the largest party, do they get a go at passing a Queen's Speech as a minority government, even if there's a viable Labour/SNP thing oven ready to put in the microwave?

Technically they can - there's precedent for it with Baldwin's failed Kings Speech in 1924. The Tories have already indicated they would look to table a speech on December 19th and incumbency means they get first crack at it by convention (Brown could have done the same in 2010 if he wanted but ultimate ceded to the Tories to some criticism).

Usually people try to avoid actually losing the vote to not look like a total pillock but if Labour goes down the path of no formal agreements let the minority parties do what they want the Tories could justify sticking more closely to convention (for once) as no written agreement for an alternative government is in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Azza Bamboo posted:

They mean when the internet was all about business opportunity and the common person had to shut up and digest the papes because the dream of owning a ferrari, flying concorde, and being invited to the executive lounge where suited men smoked cigars on their buttoned green leather chairs lit by brass lanterns hanging over oil paintings on the wall was real. Normal as in when you could tell people that they were going to have a house, a car, a safety net to support them, and they'd be able to do it with less tax and less regulation because the internet is real. Normal as in a time before we had to hear about austerity, poverty, the local effects of international conflict, where we could just throw out our hands and

ajksadjhsadnmasdjfdsnlsfda
ahjasdfljhasjdhvgjhasdmf]]a
akhgbsdkjhgasdjkhbfjklhasgdfa
AAAAAAAAYYYYY MACARENA

Actually, the song is Things Can Only Get Better

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like in the event of a hung parliament labour might be better placed than most to do things with it, given they've spent the last two years kicking the government in the dick from the other side of the house.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
If a parliament is too hung, is it unable to fit in the house of commons?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It needs to appoint a second usher of the black rod to get it in.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

pippy posted:

How do you make the canvasser waste as much time on you as possible? Every minute you make them waste is one less with someone who might change their mind.

I just said "So why should I vote for your party" and off they went with the prewritten stump speech. Add in a few " What about X" to get them to clarify and you've eaten up a tonn of time.

Then you use your time to respond. Add it all together and you can waste a decent amount of time and hopefully get them to be able to canvass a few less people that day.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Tesseraction posted:

Anyway here's the Grauniad clutching its pearls about how the rude teens don't read the news but just share memes https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/05/uncovered-reality-of-how-smartphones-turned-election-news-into-chaos

The Graun finally cottoning on to the idea that nobody under 50 unironically pays attention to mainstream media? I agree with Fiona, 22, young Tory though. Sometimes I get a burning desire to post Taki/Toby takes so you can all share my hate on.

New page, new agitprop:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1202525267442450432

666k views :getin:

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
big fan of this spin https://twitter.com/saramo/status/1202659244903993344

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Huawei are right to be worried about being associated with Boris

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This seems to be making the rounds on the Corbyn is mega-Hitler corner of the internet-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCX2mDiFzE

A guy from the "Israel Advocacy Movement" tells Labour supporters things Corbyn has supposedly said were said by Johnson and gets them to condemn them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because of course who says a thing has no bearing on how you interpret it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
think I've managed to accidentally radicalise my friend via the medium of massive sweary rants when we're wandering around in the woods, drinking and chatting on the phone

:ussr:

e: I would never have described him as particularly political previously but he has been posting labour poo poo on our WhatsApp group

XMNN fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 5, 2019

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo that guy's channel is megachud.

I'm assuming this is horrific https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSf5UhfENro

Chuff McNothing fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 5, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

XMNN posted:

think I've managed to accidentally radicalise my friend via the medium of massive sweary rants when we're wandering around in the woods, drinking and chatting on the phone

:ussr:

Were you in the same wood or did you each have a separate wood to wander around drunk in?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Oh the bbc did something...good?

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1202670854410297344

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
separate woods (Northampton and the Wirral)

we both realised we were just wandering around for hours in the evening drinking/smoking/listening to podcasts and we have free phonecalls so we started ringing each other

and then I started swearing about politics at him

e: tbf it's mostly canals in Northampton

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

That is quite a pasting

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

At the risk of Jinx-ing it, this ITV interview/profile with Corbs seems shockingly fair and even positive so far.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

RockyB posted:

The Graun finally cottoning on to the idea that nobody under 50 unironically pays attention to mainstream media? I agree with Fiona, 22, young Tory though. Sometimes I get a burning desire to post Taki/Toby takes so you can all share my hate on.

New page, new agitprop:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1202525267442450432

666k views :getin:

It got a chuckle out of me that they included a positive quote from kuennsberg in there, not gonna lie

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

not super keen on them issuing the brief beforehand.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

marktheando posted:

This seems to be making the rounds on the Corbyn is mega-Hitler corner of the internet-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCX2mDiFzE

A guy from the "Israel Advocacy Movement" tells Labour supporters things Corbyn has supposedly said were said by Johnson and gets them to condemn them.

gently caress I just clicked on that video and now I've ruined my youtube recommendations forever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blaisedell posted:

gently caress I just clicked on that video and now I've ruined my youtube recommendations forever

Has anyone else noticed that youtube removed the "I do not like this channel" option in the removal dropdown?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Has anyone else noticed that youtube removed the "I do not like this channel" option in the removal dropdown?

The only reason to have such a button is to pretend to have different tastes than you actually do, and what kind of monster would cruelly deprive Zuckerberg and Sundar Pichar of extremely private, sensitive and valuable data about their life?

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
for people who don't reflexively watch Evil Youtube Videos in incognito windows you can just open the youtube menu on the left and go into your history and delete any video you've watched from it, vanquishing it from your hell algorithm forever.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Emily Maitlis just casually sharing transphobic talking points uncritically on twitter, this is fine

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1202651755441508354

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Blaisedell posted:

lol sorry

My youtube recommendations aren't too bad, despite watching a bunch of stupid poo poo. I did have to tell it to not recommend me Ben Shapiro videos though

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I suspect he doesn't think Johnson will actually show so might as well go hell for leather. And if Johnson does happen to show, the fundamental points still stand no matter his chuntering bluster.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Seems like they figure he's not going to agree so that seems to be a complete castigation of Johnson's trustworthiness.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also re: mail headlines

I was always sceptical about how much influence they had on people who might actually vote Corbyn, and then I gave my line manager a lift into work this morning and she commented (apropos my generally remarking I'd been campaigning for labour but nothing specific beyond that) that the headlines about Corbyn and the queen's speech were ridiculous and Corbyn was being smeared

I've been deliberately attempting to persuade her towards labour but she's a little bit melty in general (she was talking positively about Hillary Clinton on the same car ride) and she brought it up organically

I think that stupid mail headlines like that can only help labour; no one who actually gives a gently caress about it was going to vote labour anyway and it can help reinforce how much of the poo poo they say is lies

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

Emily Maitlis just casually sharing transphobic talking points uncritically on twitter, this is fine

This "rapey men will declare themselves women and invade women's shelters" comes up a lot (and admittedly one of the scaremonger tactics that worked on me ages ago), how do you combat it?

e: Neil's after show thing to Johnson was quite something, had the air of "you little poo poo how dare you gently caress me about I helped make you and I can loving break you" about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

What's the best counterargument to this btw?

I can think of a few but personally the one that motivates me is "gently caress off trans people have it way worse you need to make allowances even if it costs you personally" which I don't think is really the most compelling argument for most people.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

What's the best counterargument to this btw?

I can think of a few but personally the one that motivates me is "gently caress off trans people have it way worse you need to make allowances even if it costs you personally" which I don't think is really the most compelling argument for most people.

Great minds.

I know what you mean, I've been a big believer in "you don't remove others rights/freedoms to elevate those of others" (so you don't gently caress over LGBT to help women, you don't gently caress over black people to help LGBT etc etc) and this seems to be an argument aimed squarely at that. My instinctual response to that is "well a man could do that anyway and it'd be illegal and there's laws against that" or "well how do you deal with women assaulting other women in these places?" but then I run into how loving scared women in shelters must be and is smack in the middle of a time of trauma the time to be opening minds and dealing with bigotry?

Ugh. I hate this particular one. I can understand why Pidcock wheelspun on that answer about making sure safe spaces are available "for all".

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

https://twitter.com/SamTarry/status/1202670973713031168?s=20

lmao my goodness

(Tarry is the current Labour candidate for Gapes's seat)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ms Adequate posted:

I suspect he doesn't think Johnson will actually show so might as well go hell for leather. And if Johnson does happen to show, the fundamental points still stand no matter his chuntering bluster.

Yeah the only reason that was broadcast is because they know hes not going to show now, and he certainly wont after this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The counter is "Men have never needed any excuse to hurt women before, why are they going to start loving around with gender identity?" and "This isn't a thing that happens in places with self-ID so what makes it different here?" (Though they will respond by bringing up Karen White because apparently one trans criminal proves we're all actually depraved sex monsters, or they will just take random trans people and make poo poo up).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I think the argument fundamentally refuses to consider the fact that transwomen (transmen don't exist lol) would be on your side against weirdo rapists.

It implies an inherent otherness which... I mean is obvious because it's tapping in to the low level transphobia in even people who might be superficially supportive. But whether people would be open to changing that idea? gently caress I dunno.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also there are like very very very few (are there any?) cases of cis male sex offenders pretending to be trans to get access to women's spaces compared to the lots of cases of trans people getting assaulted for using the 'wrong' changing room or toilet.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Continuity RCP posted:

If that happens we start talking about soviets

I mean yeah but let us be smart and not needlessly use a Russian word. Just call them workers councils or summat.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

In any case someone who would commit rape in a toilet would do so whether the sign on the door says they're allowed in or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

an_mutt posted:

https://twitter.com/SamTarry/status/1202670973713031168?s=20

lmao my goodness

(Tarry is the current Labour candidate for Gapes's seat)

“Thanks Mike” oh my god hahaha