Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/Qnward_/status/1202420077221601281

Gonna be wild to work in a retirement home a few decades from now and listen to the old people explain their faded tattoos of a dead gorilla and star wars puppet.

Assuming retirement, retirement homes, and society in general still exist.

im collecting those for my walls of trophies in the climate apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Shame Boy posted:

It's fun because it's impossible to tell if they wanted to do it to "prove" they're not employees, or they wanted to do it to keep the dirty sub-human servants segregated from the real people.

I mean it's probably both isn't it.

the proliferation of contract work being the only means of supporting yourself for younger generations suggests it’s not unique to Uber and the answer is definitely “both”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ugato posted:

the proliferation of contract work being the only means of supporting yourself for younger generations suggests it’s not unique to Uber and the answer is definitely “both”

Sure but Uber in particular desperately needs to prove they're not employees to win court cases.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I wanted to like David Graeber's work but Debt: The First 5000 Years was like slogging through molasses, are his later books more lively?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wanted to like David Graeber's work but Debt: The First 5000 Years was like slogging through molasses, are his later books more lively?

Bullshit Jobs is way shorter if that helps

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Shame Boy posted:

Sure but Uber in particular desperately needs to prove they're not employees to win court cases.

Working your way backwards through desegregation to regain the slave labor class you so desperately want is a strong strategy, I agree. at least it’s not racially dependent now? or not as much anyway?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I wonder if there could be a way the government could collect some money from everyone to provide essential services equally and cheaply

:thunk:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

starkebn posted:

I wonder if there could be a way the government could collect some money from everyone to provide essential services equally and cheaply

:thunk:

You can't tax big corporations because they provide jobs

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realpolishjokes/status/1202475294306770944?s=19

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/Qnward_/status/1202420077221601281

Gonna be wild to work in a retirement home a few decades from now and listen to the old people explain their faded tattoos of a dead gorilla and star wars puppet.

The image still works if it's your Imperator explaining the weird markings on the leather upholstery of their monster truck.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

lol, this is a good one

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

grapes of wrath growing heavy for the vintage etc

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

This is because all the rich pieces of poo poo who live in SF don't want it overcrowded, there's a legit housing cartel in SF

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Spatial posted:

a society so hosed up you are not rescued by the ambulance but chased by it, because it will ruin your life.

a dark lol

Years ago I got hurt on the job and my ambulance ride was covered by my state's workman's comp, but you'd better believe the loving ambulance company kept calling me for the bill and leaving voicemails making empty threats. For weeks. Until I picked up when they called and told them it was a workman's comp issue so stop calling me and threatening to take me to collections because I wasn't on the hook for it. Even then they didn't believe me until I gave them the info for my case manager or whatever they're called. They really just want to grift people, even when they have no legal right to their money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1202696944767950848?s=20

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Airblades really are the worst invention known to man. All Dyson products, really. What an unnecessary company.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Am I the only one who likes those things? Maybe the Australian alternatives are just miserably underpowered.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Remember when John carpenter hired homeless people to play homeless people for the explicit reason of giving them food and shelter for a little while

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Obviously that is still somewhat exploitative but it's better then hiring random non-homeless people to play homeless, imo

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
tbh if he paid normal rates its not exploitative at all, it's probably the only way to make that film in good conscience (and the union probably insisted on their normal rates)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Am I the only one who likes those things? Maybe the Australian alternatives are just miserably underpowered.

if you like tons of germs and poo poo getting blown all over your hands sure

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're alright, though they (and every other "high-power" hand dryer) have been shown to aerosolize all your hand germs and spray them all around the room.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just to play devil's advocate, they are probably overestimating the amount of unused properties if they are counting ones that are in transition (i.e. for sale mostly)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Just to play devil's advocate, they are probably overestimating the amount of unused properties if they are counting ones that are in transition (i.e. for sale mostly)

From what I've heard of how SF's housing market works, houses ostensibly for sale should absolutely count.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

actionjackson posted:

you don't have to hand it to them buddy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i hate using them it's impossible not to spray piss all over the bathroom no matter where you aim

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

They're alright, though they (and every other "high-power" hand dryer) have been shown to aerosolize all your hand germs and spray them all around the room.

i particularly hate those dyson ones though because trying to put your hands into that narrow slot while it's blasting them with air and not touching the sides is surprisingly difficult. the whole point of the air hand dryer is to dry your hands without touching potentially contaminated surfaces

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

T-man posted:

you don't have to hand it to them buddy

You do realize devil's advocate means I still think the SF housing market is total rear end

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

You do realize the devil needs no help?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hate using them it's impossible not to spray piss all over the bathroom no matter where you aim

You're meant to sit astride and get full dangle into the machine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

T-man posted:

You do realize the devil needs no help?

I'm a very analytical person (I'm a biostatistician), so I'm just trying to make sure the data being represented is meaningful. I always look for any possible holes first.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
John Carpenter is cool and good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I'm a very analytical person (I'm a biostatistician), so I'm just trying to make sure the data being represented is meaningful. I always look for any possible holes first.

You can't spell analytical without anal :mmmhmm:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

MonsieurChoc posted:

John Carpenter is cool and good.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

actionjackson posted:

so why not just look up where the statistic comes from, or anything at all

here

In the American Community Survey estimate from 2015, the estimated number of vacant units [in San Francisco] had doubled to approximately 33,000 vacant units.

http://ternercenter.berkeley.edu/uploads/CR_Final_2.3.19.pdf

When the youth count and general count are combined, the total number of unsheltered and sheltered persons in San Francisco on January 29, 2015, was 7,539

http://hsh.sfgov.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2015-San-Francisco-Homeless-Count-Report_0-1.pdf

that's 4.4x as many homes in 2015

but what do I know, I'm just guy on the internet (I would kick your rear end if you said some poo poo like that IRL)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think earlier someone posted a thing about a property for sale/rent in San Francisco with a good buried lede. It was located at let's say... 1380 Shitbird St, was in fact controlled by a "property management" company literally named 1380 Shitbird St Holdings, whose sole asset was that one house, and that company was fully owned by one individual John Doe.

Just that nugget, and the fact that it's apparently common there, is all you need to know to understand that some seriously bullshit is going on in that housing market. And also that John Doe should be put to death and his property seized.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Modest Mao posted:

but what do I know, I'm just guy on the internet (I would kick your rear end if you said some poo poo like that IRL)

You would kick my rear end for saying they may be overestimating the number of "truly" vacant homes, even though I agree the housing market is still total rear end?

I didn't even definitively say they were overestimating.

How often IRL have you assaulted someone for saying something (or even hinted at the possibility) you thought was wrong? Even if it was factually wrong?

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Dec 6, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WORLD STAR

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Modest Mao posted:

Oh sweet it's been a long time since we've had an actual internet tough guy throwing around "fite me irl"s :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ok. well the whole reason you dry your hands after washing them is to scrape the leftover bacteria off. so when you replace the 'wasted' paper with air, you just blast that all over the place lol. if yall want to save paper just... dont use the paper, its more hygenic