Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ACAYL

Always careful about your load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/uzYDtUc.mp4

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hook of Damocles

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

This guy's been playing too much Dark Souls

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

drat, looks like my fleshlight delivery is going to be late

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

LifeSunDeath posted:

ACAYL

Always careful about your load.

Solid sex education advice!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yea blaming an unsecured load on a driver regardless of the reason is pretty dumb. That could just have easily been a minivan full o kids and you’d still slam on your breaks the same way.

Rollstock can only be secured with rubber friction pads on the floor.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Rollstock can only be secured with rubber friction pads on the floor.

I am not a truck fuckler in any way shape or form, but checking out: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers_Handbook_Cargo_Securement.pdf

page 68 looks like it was still a completely improper arrangement. From what I can see the rolls should have been in the nose of the trailer anyways or the trailer should have had some sort of void filler to get the load more centered if necessary.

Happy to be told how i'm wrong if so however.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I am not a truck fuckler in any way shape or form, but checking out: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers_Handbook_Cargo_Securement.pdf

page 68 looks like it was still a completely improper arrangement. From what I can see the rolls should have been in the nose of the trailer anyways or the trailer should have had some sort of void filler to get the load more centered if necessary.

Happy to be told how i'm wrong if so however.

45000+ lbs of rolls can fit in the nose of the trailer (like they did here when the load shifted) as long as you don't mind blowing your tires and snapping a landing leg.

The friction pads are the OSHA/FMCSA-approved securement method for hauling 88"+ rollstock. Each of those rolls are 98" high and contain about 7 miles of paper, they simply have so much mass that the only way to reliably secure them is to use their own weight, regular load restraints and air bags won't do anything to stop them from shifting.

The really terrifying thing is how many owner operators I have seen delivering these that had no idea what was on their trailer.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

anime fork lift drivers do NOT need a union

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dumb question- why don't they put the rolls on the flat ends so they aren't capable of rolling?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

Dumb question- why don't they put the rolls on the flat ends so they aren't capable of rolling?

The did, you can see the divot from it hitting the one on the right.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

45000+ lbs of rolls can fit in the nose of the trailer (like they did here when the load shifted) as long as you don't mind blowing your tires and snapping a landing leg.

The friction pads are the OSHA/FMCSA-approved securement method for hauling 88"+ rollstock. Each of those rolls are 98" high and contain about 7 miles of paper, they simply have so much mass that the only way to reliably secure them is to use their own weight, regular load restraints and air bags won't do anything to stop them from shifting.

The really terrifying thing is how many owner operators I have seen delivering these that had no idea what was on their trailer.

Yea I feel this. Would strapping the individual rolls together have helped at all? Surely a few 4" straps around them could have helped a bit?

As for not knowing whats in the trailer, i'm surprised this doesn't have a special placard requirement due to the unique challenges in transporting them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

As for not knowing whats in the trailer, i'm surprised this doesn't have a special placard requirement due to the unique challenges in transporting them.

"STFU and tow the loving trailer."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double post!

https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/1202676605304262656?s=20

Nopenopenopenope

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

The rolls can't shift if the trailer never moves.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yea I feel this. Would strapping the individual rolls together have helped at all? Surely a few 4" straps around them could have helped a bit?

Keeping the rolls together runs into the issue of having 45000 of fixed mass in the same spot on the frame. The tractors and trailers are already specialized for mill work and are marked as such, but there's only so much mass you can put on a piece of equipment before you run into trouble.

Another problem is that the roads tend to move faster than they did 20 years ago and the new generation of trucks can stop a lot harder, especially the lighter mill-spec units we use. That's one of the reasons we haven't turned up the speed of our trucks like some other carriers have done to combat HOS restrictions.

I mostly work in telematics and compliance, but that doesn't stop drivers from asking about turning up their trucks every time I'm in the field.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.
Important Flughafenfuckling update: Berlin Brandenburg Airport may actually open in 2011 2012 2014 2016October 2020!

quote:

Airport chief Engelbert Lütke Daldrup said he was certain the first planes would land there on October 31, 2020, and the first departures would take place the following day. However, Supervisory Board Chairman Rainer Bretschneider said there were still "shortcomings" that needed to be addressed quickly in order to meet this target.
Or...not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sucks that those people who land there will be stuck inside the airplane until the next day before they can take back off to land at a working airport.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TorpedoFish posted:

Important Flughafenfuckling update: Berlin Brandenburg Airport may actually open in 2011 2012 2014 2016October 2020!

Or...not.

The first time I went to Germany was in 2003. I remember the planning for the giant new Berlin airport being a huge deal and everyone talking about how maybe by 2010 you would be able to fly non-stop transatlantic into Berlin without routing through Frankfurt.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The first time I went to Germany was in 2003. I remember the planning for the giant new Berlin airport being a huge deal and everyone talking about how maybe by 2010 you would be able to fly non-stop transatlantic into Berlin without routing through Frankfurt.

I mean for sure it's going to open soon, just as soon as they get that smoke extraction system sorted and stretch out those too-short escalators.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

TorpedoFish posted:

Or...not.

Whoa they have a final solution?

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

TorpedoFish posted:

I mean for sure it's going to open soon, just as soon as they get that smoke extraction system sorted and stretch out those too-short escalators.

Passengers will each be given a tiny USB-powered personal fan for use during an evacuation. And as for the escalators, the escalator company has been contracted to build tiny, 3-foot mini-escalators to make up the difference.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

droppin bombs, hell yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

Reminds me of a story I heard (maybe in an old version of this thread) where a lab or chemical company decided to honor breast cancer awareness by changing all their label colors to pink, thus screwing with the color coding.

That was none other than Sigma–Aldrich.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sex Skeleton posted:

Passengers will each be given a tiny USB-powered personal fan for use during an evacuation. And as for the escalators, the escalator company has been contracted to build tiny, 3-foot mini-escalators to make up the difference.

Having listened to a podcast about that place, I completely believe you.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did Berlin Tegel not exist back then? I flew direct from Chicago o'hare when I went

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Shut up Meg posted:

Having listened to a podcast about that place, I completely believe you.

That podcast, which I learned about from a previous OSHA thread, is "How to gently caress Up an Airport". Pro-click.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have an innovative plan to solve both the smoke extraction and escalator problem simultaneously, using really really big fans. Construction begins next week.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Did Berlin Tegel not exist back then? I flew direct from Chicago o'hare when I went

Tegel was there. The issue is that Tegel is loving old and pretty restricted about what size and weight aircraft it can take. All the times I've flown in I took some big widebody to either London, Spain, or Frankfurt and then transferred to a narrow body for the flight in. Not saying you didn't, but the ability to process bigger aircraft was a big talking point for getting a new airport.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Platystemon posted:

That was none other than Sigma–Aldrich.

Is that name supposed to be vaguely Lovecraftian?

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Tegel was there. The issue is that Tegel is loving old and pretty restricted about what size and weight aircraft it can take. All the times I've flown in I took some big widebody to either London, Spain, or Frankfurt and then transferred to a narrow body for the flight in. Not saying you didn't, but the ability to process bigger aircraft was a big talking point for getting a new airport.

If I recall correctly one of the delays was because they decided last-minute they wanted to be able to accommodate the A380, so they redid at least one of the gates (maybe a runway?).

Since then Airbus has decided the A380 isn't profitable enough and they're going to stop making it.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Forget tactilol, tactilog is in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Slightly OSHA:

Company hires scabs, some workers come on site to take photos of unsafe scaffolding, scabs beat them.

Next day, the Union guys had something to say about that:
https://twitter.com/b9AcE/status/1201801310225534976?s=20

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CommieGIR posted:

Slightly OSHA:

Company hires scabs, some workers come on site to take photos of unsafe scaffolding, scabs beat them.

Next day, the Union guys had something to say about that:
https://twitter.com/b9AcE/status/1201801310225534976?s=20

Welcome to 3F, basically our largest and most militant labour union. They also assist non-unionized foreign workers that are preyed upon by their employers(often housed in absolute hovels, paid almost nothing, have their passports taken away, etc. after being promised unionized rates and treatment prior to coming to Denmark) with getting unioned up and legally protected.

They are very, very good lads.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/dispatchalerts/status/1202741208214319112

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sheldon Cooper!!! :argh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bet it's a harmless Farnsworth Fusor

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Has anyone checked David Hahn's grave recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Bet it's a harmless Farnsworth Fusor

Most likely. So far the update claims that they are talking to the guy, and given that they are not panicking about exposure, I'm guessing its a nothingburger.