Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of encouraging or discouraging tool purchases, I have a random amazon cart of “stocking stuffers” for my wife to get me on Xmas and one thing I put in there was a 12 inch capacity set of digital calipers (bout 40 bucks, good reviews).

I’m not a carpenter or a cabinet maker. I can see a use for accurate and quick measurement post-rip, but I’m wondering if you all use digital calipers, how often and do you feel they earn their space in your tool drawer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Feenix posted:

Speaking of encouraging or discouraging tool purchases, I have a random amazon cart of “stocking stuffers” for my wife to get me on Xmas and one thing I put in there was a 12 inch capacity set of digital calipers (bout 40 bucks, good reviews).

I’m not a carpenter or a cabinet maker. I can see a use for accurate and quick measurement post-rip, but I’m wondering if you all use digital calipers, how often and do you feel they earn their space in your tool drawer?

I tend to use mine for measuring the extents things that are rounded. Much easier to do than with a tape measure because of the jaws, less "squint and estimate".

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 5, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I use 'em for checking sizes when I want two things to match, sometimes. They can also be helpful for getting an accurate sense of how thick a board is, e.g. if I want to make a built-up block of a certain thickness by gluing together multiple boards. I wouldn't say it's a vital thing to have but it comes in handy.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Feenix posted:

I bought one used and haven't used it once. Its easy enough to get accurate marks to within 1/32" with a tape when you get comfortable with it and my work has never taken me further than that

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
In woodworking, rarely. Wood turning, sometimes. In machine calibration, often. In metal working, always. Lasers, always. General makery/shop work, often.

In other words, you should have one in the toolbox.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm in the process of moving into my new house and upgrading my shop from a like, 16x24 garage to a 30x30 garage (hell yeah)

After I get settled in it's time to build some real boy shop furniture-- and I want to just run a big long string of cabinets and benchtops down one of the walls and like, building in a miter saw station and dust collection and such.

Is there any reason that I would want to build a router table on wheels rather than just mount a router into the top of one of these cabinets? Clearance from the wall, I guess, on the rare occasion that that comes up?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks! I realize it won’t be an everyday tool but it seems like a handy QoL thing.

So, next question:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2WPZYV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q7j6DbFM68FBP
Is this good?
Is it just a Chinese boilerplate product?
Can I do better for the same price?
Does it matter?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I ordered a GRRR-Ripper from a local store in Australia, currently they're $225 for the "everything" pack with the back heels etc on amazon but a place online, Timbecon, has them on sale for $185 plus delivery ($10, normal post!)

The next plan is to build a decent cross cut sled for it

Can anyone recommend whether to go with ply or melamine? Or does it really not matter?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Feenix posted:

Thanks! I realize it won’t be an everyday tool but it seems like a handy QoL thing.

So, next question:

Is this good?
Does it matter?

I bought one for $9 at harbor freight. Works well and its accurate. It doesn't get a lot of use, but I do use when I'm thicknessing boards.

mds2 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 5, 2019

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

McSpergin posted:

I ordered a GRRR-Ripper from a local store in Australia, currently they're $225 for the "everything" pack with the back heels etc on amazon but a place online, Timbecon, has them on sale for $185 plus delivery ($10, normal post!)

The next plan is to build a decent cross cut sled for it

Can anyone recommend whether to go with ply or melamine? Or does it really not matter?

I'm not sure what a GRRR-Ripper is, but plywood is fine for a crosscut sled IME, just wax the bottom and use a good quality ply that will stay flat.

Feenix posted:

So, next question:

Is this good?
Does it matter?
I only very recently got a digital caliper and only really because my planer has a DRO so it is useful for repeating parts to exact thickness. Also helpful for veneer work trying to figure out which veneers are the same thickness and sizing dowels in turning. I have a cheap $10-20 and it's as good as I've ever needed. I've never really found that the woodworking I do needed (or I/my machines were capable of) much precision beyond a 32nd" or 64th," but YMMV. If I was making windows, that might be a different story. One time I started using calipers to measure everything on a project and found out I was few thou off on EVERYTHING and drove myself crazy trying to make all the numbers match and then I realized it didn't matter because wood moves more than that.

That being said, a fancy measurer thing I never thought I needed or wanted but that has been surprisingly super useful is a dial indicator. I've never actually used it for woodworking, but it's been invaluable to set up/tune up/diagnose woodworking machines and set up joiner knives etc.

Sockser posted:

I'm in the process of moving into my new house and upgrading my shop from a like, 16x24 garage to a 30x30 garage (hell yeah)

After I get settled in it's time to build some real boy shop furniture-- and I want to just run a big long string of cabinets and benchtops down one of the walls and like, building in a miter saw station and dust collection and such.

Is there any reason that I would want to build a router table on wheels rather than just mount a router into the top of one of these cabinets? Clearance from the wall, I guess, on the rare occasion that that comes up?
Personally, I'd make it be on wheels but fit into the line of cabinets. You might need to route some big curved molding, or for workflow it might be easier to roll over next to the tablesaw if you're running a bunch of molding. It's easy enough to do now with $40 worth of casters if you plan for it, but hard to do later when everything is built in.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 5, 2019

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I use a set of calipers from HF when I build guitars. The digi ones from there don't like being outside in the cold even inside a shed in the case and changing batteries it still would give crazy readings. I just use them more like dividers now.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want t build a guitar.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Thumposaurus posted:

I use a set of calipers from HF when I build guitars. The digi ones from there don't like being outside in the cold even inside a shed in the case and changing batteries it still would give crazy readings. I just use them more like dividers now.

That's where mine are now. I actually did use them once to measure a glass ball to give accurate measurements to someone fabricating stainless steel for me, totally forgot about that. Still, I haven't needed it for wood/stone/tile which are my main areas of focus. If I was any good at machine fixin' I'm sure I'd use them more but I'm not there yet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That being said, a fancy measurer thing I never thought I needed or wanted but that has been surprisingly super useful is a dial indicator. I've never actually used it for woodworking, but it's been invaluable to set up/tune up/diagnose woodworking machines and set up joiner knives etc.

:hmmyes:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've never really found that the woodworking I do needed (or I/my machines were capable of) much precision beyond a 32nd" or 64th," but YMMV. If I was making windows, that might be a different story. One time I started using calipers to measure everything on a project and found out I was few thou off on EVERYTHING and drove myself crazy trying to make all the numbers match and then I realized it didn't matter because wood moves more than that.

Matching arbitrary screw diameters has been a valuable use for me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Huxley posted:

I want t build a guitar.

A former class mate's dad built him a violin from scratch without any prior woodworking skills, based on books from the "how do I build a god drat violin" aisle of the local library. I'm sure he regretted the fact that it turned out fine because the kid never learned to play for poo poo.

E: the dad was a painter cum sculptor

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Huxley posted:

I want t build a guitar.

Do it! The guy I used to work for is retired from normal woodworking and makes guitars now and dang they are awesome. He mostly makes arch tops which are even more stupid complex, but even a dreadnaught isn’t simple. You don’t really need a ton in the way of machines or space though-a bandsaw is really about it for machines because it’s a lot more hand work. I’m sure there are kits that would make it easier the first time.

I’ve built 2 banjos which are much simpler than guitars, but that was enough for me to realize I needed about 40 more years of doing this to have the patience and manual dexterity for that fine of work. It’s when a few thousandths actually DO matter. Working with mother of pearl and stuff for inlay is one the one hand super neat and pretty and on the other hand really difficult to work with and it smells like burning teeth when you cut it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jerry Cotton posted:

cum sculptor

Yikes

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

sex woodworking is woodworking too! Just ask the pro building those expensive custom beds

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mrgan/status/1009909186338017280

I've watched some youtube videos of professional luthiers and boy, it's peaceful as heck but yikes it's some work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS78naDiB4k

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just build electric guitars they can be simple as hell. There are full size plans for most any body shape you could imagine available for free.
There are some specialty tools but there's ways around that if you're creative.
I build my own necks but you can get decent pre rolled ones for a good price of you stick to fender specs.

I've wanted to do an arch top or acoustic for awhile now but I currently don't have the space or time for it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I just want to do Fractal burns on a guitar and fill them with resin. One day I will find someone who will let me light their guitar on fire :(

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

I just build electric guitars they can be simple as hell. There are full size plans for most any body shape you could imagine available for free.
There are some specialty tools but there's ways around that if you're creative.
I build my own necks but you can get decent pre rolled ones for a good price of you stick to fender specs.

I've wanted to do an arch top or acoustic for awhile now but I currently don't have the space or time for it.

I do need a tele. Hmm.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

I just want to do Fractal burns on a guitar and fill them with resin. One day I will find someone who will let me light their guitar on fire :(

I just REALLY want to do fractal burns but sparky is one trade I hate messing with. gently caress attics

Huxley posted:

I've watched some youtube videos of professional luthiers and boy, it's peaceful as heck but yikes it's some work.

This is amazing so far, also calipers spotted early on

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

I've got a beautiful Chinesium (at least I assume that) neck-through with lovely figured maple top that I'm intending to someday going to get ready to commence swapping in some killer pickups I've got laying around for the stock meh ones. Beautiful resin figuring would almost be overkill. Hahaha, overkill on a guitar, right...?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I just REALLY want to do fractal burns but sparky is one trade I hate messing with. gently caress attics

That's why I built in lots of safety features in my microwave transformer burner. Mushroom switch to power to the box, pilot light indicator box is hot, light switch to power to the transformer, dead man pedal to turn on the transformer, and flashing red light to indicate leads are hot.

But yeah gently caress attics.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Huxley posted:

:holymoley: What did this guy do to earn a shop like that? He's even on a first name basis with S. Baloia, the owner/founder of Grizzly and has the guy building one-off shop tools for him!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Mambold posted:

:holymoley: What did this guy do to earn a shop like that? He's even on a first name basis with S. Baloia, the owner/founder of Grizzly and has the guy building one-off shop tools for him!

Those instruments start at $7k and just keep going up from there. I think somewhere in that video (or maybe I read it after watching it the first time) he had a full shop in Hawaii churning those out years ago, but he pulled back to work with just his son making two a week.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

That's why I built in lots of safety features in my microwave transformer burner. Mushroom switch to power to the box, pilot light indicator box is hot, light switch to power to the transformer, dead man pedal to turn on the transformer, and flashing red light to indicate leads are hot.

But yeah gently caress attics.

drat that is a setup, I'm going to have to get my pops to set one of those up

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Anyone have recommendations on a decent ($100ish range) chisel set? I have a beater set of Irwins, but want something for nicer cleanup work. I have been looking at Narex but also liked the Kirschen I have used; granted I did not do the sharpening on those. Are Japanese style worth the money? My primary goal is dove tail cleanup and general cabinetry type work (cleaning up mortises, dados, etc).

I am much more a power tool user so hand tool quality confuses me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a decent ($100ish range) chisel set? I have a beater set of Irwins, but want something for nicer cleanup work. I have been looking at Narex but also liked the Kirschen I have used; granted I did not do the sharpening on those. Are Japanese style worth the money? My primary goal is dove tail cleanup and general cabinetry type work (cleaning up mortises, dados, etc).

I am much more a power tool user so hand tool quality confuses me.

The Narex are good steel and a stellar value imo. I have some of their mortise chisels and they’re awesome for $20. They didn’t come as finished as some stuff-expect to spend a little time with a stone breaking some sharp edges, but the important part is the steel. Kirschen/two cherries are good too, but probably a little more expensive. Pfeil are also great and come razor sharp but expensive.

All those are European style bench chisels and not as beveled on the edges which is not ideal for cleaning up dovetails, but makes a stronger chisel if you’re whacking it with a mallet. I think narex also makes some bevel edge paring chisels-one in a small size would let you get in those tight corners. I don’t know how big a set you’re looking for, but a 1/4”, 1/2” and 3/4” is a good place to start imo.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm not sure what a GRRR-Ripper is, but plywood is fine for a crosscut sled IME, just wax the bottom and use a good quality ply that will stay flat.

It's this, basically a multi use pusher for rip cuts and table router use and stuff. I've seen a bunch of people like Steve Ramsay rate it quite highly and it's got multiple uses

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The Narex are good steel and a stellar value imo. I have some of their mortise chisels and they’re awesome for $20. They didn’t come as finished as some stuff-expect to spend a little time with a stone breaking some sharp edges, but the important part is the steel. Kirschen/two cherries are good too, but probably a little more expensive. Pfeil are also great and come razor sharp but expensive.

All those are European style bench chisels and not as beveled on the edges which is not ideal for cleaning up dovetails, but makes a stronger chisel if you’re whacking it with a mallet. I think narex also makes some bevel edge paring chisels-one in a small size would let you get in those tight corners. I don’t know how big a set you’re looking for, but a 1/4”, 1/2” and 3/4” is a good place to start imo.

Thanks! I was figuring a 4 or 6 piece set and then possibly a set of left/right 1/4" skew for dovetail work.

And of course I stumble upon this and the wood turner in me says I can make handles.
https://www.amazon.com/Narex-Piece-Unhandled-Premium-Chisel/dp/B07T816DN9

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
Hey guys, I don't post regularly at all, but wanted to share some of my recent stuff.
This thread has been giving me good inspiration and resources, so thanks for that.
The other big one is youtube, there's so much good content and channels out there it's starting to feel suffocating at times just to keep up and find the best execution of similar ideas...

I've been tackling woodworking projects left and right around the house, with some custom work for family and friends as well.

Before I started building my own stuff I gained some experience with furniture repurposing and restoration, and generic handymanning like laying flooring etc.
As many others I suspect, a fair amount of IKEA hacking was another one of the gateway drugs into woodworking.

Wish I had more time and budget but it's just a hobby for now.
I just love the solemn process of it all and taking time to learn new manual skills my hectic office job will never teach me.

Some examples of recent projects;

Playhouse and custom bedroom for the kid.

Custom desk with conference table, and kitchenette I’m currently building for my brother.
Work in progress but we're satisfied with the progress so far.

Key box built from scraps.
Super small project but very satisfying because it's one of those things where I spent ages looking for a solution that fit our space, but where I'm now able to crank out something useful in an afternoon.

Modular TV unit, based on the MCM ‘Ladderax’ design. Co-worker is a welder in his spare time who built the racks for me.
This best showcases my current proficiency level.
I'm really starting to love building with plywood and hardwood edging, with stain and hardwax finishing for that Midcentury flair.
It's relatively easy and cost effective at least in my mind.

My workshop, it's a bit of an award layout.
The long walls are not parallel and its positively tiny space, roughly 6 meters long, 2.5 wide at the widest side tapering to 1 meter at the narrow side.
The advantage of my space constraints is that I’m saving money by not being able to own bigboy toys like jointers/planers… yet.
Storing lumber and WIP projects is also... challenging.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm building some shelving that will go in my bathroom (under the sink). I'm using bare whiteboard/project board. What's proper type of primer for this type of wood given its high moisture/humidity location? Oil-based vs shellac? I'll be using a standard latex paint once I figure out how to properly prime this bare wood.

Palpatine MD posted:

Hey guys, I don't post regularly at all, but wanted to share some of my recent stuff.
[snip]

I really like your workbench wall. I'm building my own workbench for my garage this spring and it's awesome to see that you've done so much more than toss some pegboard up there (not that there's anything wrong with pegboard). Really great work.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 6, 2019

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Palpatine MD posted:

This thread has been giving me good inspiration and resources, so thanks for that.
The other big one is youtube, there's so much good content and channels out there it's starting to feel suffocating at times just to keep up and find the best execution of similar ideas...

I've been tackling woodworking projects left and right around the house, with some custom work for family and friends as well.

Before I started building my own stuff I gained some experience with furniture repurposing and restoration, and generic handymanning like laying flooring etc.
As many others I suspect, a fair amount of IKEA hacking was another one of the gateway drugs into woodworking.

Wish I had more time and budget but it's just a hobby for now.
I just love the solemn process of it all and taking time to learn new manual skills my hectic office job will never teach me.

Some examples of recent projects;

Playhouse and custom bedroom for the kid.

Kid clubhouses are the absolute best justification, and that one's great. Can he slide down that support pole?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

McSpergin posted:

It's this, basically a multi use pusher for rip cuts and table router use and stuff. I've seen a bunch of people like Steve Ramsay rate it quite highly and it's got multiple uses

god drat those sure cost a lot more in 'stralya, even accounting for currency conversion. I've got one (just the basic one with out all the extra tomfoolery) and I think it was ~US$60 and I thought that was pretty hefty of a price. It's definitely working great as a table saw pushblock.

I'll just add that it induces you to do a thing that I regard as a risky habit, which is to push your arm past the spinning saw blade, as opposed to using a push stick. Push stick feels less in control, has less grip, etc. but it's safer to not be leaning across the active blade, so I'd encourage you to keep using a push stick (perhaps with a feather board) whenever doing so is possible, and reserve the GR-RIPPER for cases where a push stick doesn't work.

As for the sled: melamine-coated particle board will work, but you must keep it away from any moisture, and, there are times where it's nice that the piece you're cutting doesn't want to slide around on the sled quite so easily. I just made a sled I'm pretty happy with out of baltic birch ply, dunno if you can get that inexpensively in aussie land tho but any reasonably nicely-surfaced plywood should do the trick.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Palpatine MD posted:

Thanks for sharing your pics, great work! I love the grain carrying through on the bottom of the tv unit.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

Thanks! I was figuring a 4 or 6 piece set and then possibly a set of left/right 1/4" skew for dovetail work.

And of course I stumble upon this and the wood turner in me says I can make handles.
That's not a bad idea really. Those actually look tapered enough on the edges you might not need a paring or skew chisel for dovetails. One of the places Narex definitely saves money to keep the cost down is by just using plain beech handles-turning your own out of some tough stuff (don't you have a bunch of mesquite? hornbean is good too or boxwood if you can find it) and add a metal band on the mallet end and you'd have some nice chisels. London pattern octagon handles are my fav because they don't roll around as much as round handles:

This all looks great! Very pretty veneer on that table.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Huxley posted:

Double post but I just watched this and it is really fantastic, thanks for sharing. I don't have any interest in building guitars really but all their awesome jigs and custom machines/setups have really got the wheels turning in my brain. It's always great to see a shop that is totally geared up to do one thing really efficiently. That big Hitachi resaw is :eyepop: and they definitely seem like they are not showing all of some of their custom machines on purpose. Just a few trade secrets in there. That brace scalloping setup is cool as grits but looks dangerous as hell, and that sanding rig for the inside/outside diameter of the soundhole inlay is genius. I super appreciate the masking tape shims and clamps everywhere and random sour cream tubs-why do all woodworkers eat so much sour cream? Also love that guy's inlay mashing dowel because I have exactly the same thing, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Thanks for sharing, some nice work there.

JEEVES420 posted:

I'm in the camp of recommending buying fewer more expensive chisels, start off with a small chisel (1/4") and a big one (3/4"). Then slowly add more as you see fit, the Veritas PMV11 are slightly above your price range...but so so nice. I only have a 1/4", 3/8" and 3/4" and haven't found it too limiting.