Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Saban will always be fine but we are seeing the effects of yearly coordinator turnover.

They're still a top 3 program, probably not the time to hit the loving panic switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Imo they should fire saban, make a run at Dabo, get turned down and settle on Butch Jones

mmmmm yeah that’s the stuff

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

This is where we are now. Not after an actual bad season.

Which for the record I don't ever expect him to have.

Again, you can find commenters on the internet saying whatever you want, but the school is not going to fire him for losing two games and possibly a bowl game. Reading Meltdown Monday or whatever isn't an accurate representation of the actual fan base or the school's decision making. It's pure fantasy to think otherwise.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They had horrible injury luck in the front seven that started before they even kicked off an actual game, lost their Heisman candidate QB, and were a combined 8 points from likely being in the playoff again. Like it's true that some other programs have closed the gap a bit (and in Clemson's case at least maybe surpassed them) but don't be dumbasses, y'all

You can find random dipshits on Twitter who want to fire every coach every time they give up a TD. It doesn't mean anything other than that it is easier than ever to subject yourself to opinions of dipshits

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

They're still a top 3 program, probably not the time to hit the loving panic switch.

Yeah I don't think anyone actually expects anything to go on, I just find the Paterno thing General Dog is bringing up ridiculous.

Another Paterno difference is he spread a bunch of 'goodish' 3 and 4 loss seasons in there. Bama has been ruined by Saban's success and I think they'd turn on him if he were ever actually bad. It's been 9 years since Bama lost 3 games in a season, Paterno never had more than 5 in a row I think. While playing less games per season.

Emron posted:

Again, you can find commenters on the internet saying whatever you want, but the school is not going to fire him for losing two games and possibly a bowl game. Reading Meltdown Monday or whatever isn't an accurate representation of the actual fan base or the school's decision making. It's pure fantasy to think otherwise.

Yeah my main complaint is he hasn't been close to bad yet.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Lotta Saban apologist itt

I just like imagining him getting fired for three losses. I don’t think it’ll actually happen and I think anyone who responds seriously with “he ain’t getting fired!!!” in this thread are taking it too seriously.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

They had horrible injury luck in the front seven that started before they even kicked off an actual game, lost their Heisman candidate QB, and were a combined 8 points from likely being in the playoff again.

The idea that this is what Alabama's nightmare "everything goes wrong" season looks like is frankly terrifying.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

colachute posted:

Lotta Saban apologist itt

I just like imagining him getting fired for three losses. I don’t think it’ll actually happen and I think anyone who responds seriously with “he ain’t getting fired!!!” in this thread are taking it too seriously.

My whole deal is taking things too seriously, though.

I also am a big time acolyte of the church of saban. I genuinely think he's the best coach of all time, straight up.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I just wish Saban would get to the point where all his good assistants have been poached and he's left with Jim Bollman/Greg Robinson level Coordinators and assistants that he's buddies with.

I guess this would all require Nick Saban to be a human being, so it's probably never happening.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Another Paterno difference is he spread a bunch of 'goodish' 3 and 4 loss seasons in there. Bama has been ruined by Saban's success and I think they'd turn on him if he were ever actually bad. It's been 9 years since Bama lost 3 games in a season, Paterno never had more than 5 in a row I think. While playing less games per season.

Paterno was very good at making sure that you had a 0 to 2 loss season often enough that every graduating class could say they had a season that they contended for a title. The rest was all 3 and 4 loss seasons between the contention years.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Its pretty funny that bama worst season ever is a potential 3 loss season (tied with the year they lost to cam a decade ago) and that's absolutely the peak possibility of what jim harbaugh can bring to Michigan with no issue

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
drat mastershakeman is still shook about jim being a good coach

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/12/why-sec-gif-guru-lsufreek-disappeared.html

Article about LSUFreek and his return

Edit: this was already posted my apologies

vyst fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 5, 2019

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Its pretty funny that bama worst season ever is a potential 3 loss season (tied with the year they lost to cam a decade ago) and that's absolutely the peak possibility of what jim harbaugh can bring to Michigan with no issue

That's not fair, he can get to 2 losses if they have Penn State at home. That's assuming Dantonio stays and refuses to fire any offensive staff again.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Emron posted:

My whole deal is taking things too seriously, though.

I also am a big time acolyte of the church of saban. I genuinely think he's the best coach of all time, straight up.

I'd like to hear who is better.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Ed Orgeron, obviously, but beyond that I dunno.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

I'm not going to argue with him :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm not going to argue with him :shrug:

I was agreeing with him :saddowns: he's the GOAT as far as college goes, and I don't know that anybody is particularly close

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Pete Carroll

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

mastershakeman posted:

Don't forget that with harbaugh the losses are all horrible blowouts

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I just wish Saban would get to the point where all his good assistants have been poached and he's left with Jim Bollman/Greg Robinson level Coordinators and assistants that he's buddies with.

This has already happened like five years in a row

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Randaconda posted:

I was agreeing with him :saddowns: he's the GOAT as far as college goes, and I don't know that anybody is particularly close

Snyder

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

LeeMajors posted:

Saban will always be fine but we are seeing the effects of yearly coordinator turnover.

Seems like they're not even a top 10 program actually

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know why we're discussing also-rans like Bama when we could be talking about teams still in contention like Utah and Baylor.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Utah's bowl record against Alabama is 1-0

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

General Dog posted:

I don't know why we're discussing also-rans like Bama when we could be talking about teams still in contention like Utah and Baylor.

I want to see Oregon and Baylor win their respective CCGs (along with chalk for the rest) so we can see what the committee does.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Edward Mass posted:

I want to see Oregon and Baylor win their respective CCGs (along with chalk for the rest) so we can see what the committee does.

I'm pretty sure Baylor gets in in that situation.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Emron posted:

Any coach ranking that doesn't heavily favor the entertainment value of their interviews/press conferences is a bad ranking system.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I love coach O and want nothing but the best for him. I hope he wins the natty (it's going to be OSU but a man can dream)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Edward Mass posted:

put in baylor probably

Pretty much the only thing they've really consistently stuck with so far is avoiding 2 loss teams.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

colachute posted:

Pete Carroll

Ah yes, the 1-title ‘dynasty’

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Emron posted:

I won't go there with you, but I will say that Ed Orgeron is the most head coach of all time.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 5, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

colachute posted:

Pete Carroll

:thunk:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

As proven in the years since his departure, it's very difficult to win at USC

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
he won a super bowl while saban had to run back to college with his tail between his legs because the players were bullying him

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
:hmmyes: to both of the above

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
The NFL is for Lovie Smith level coaches

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Raku posted:

The NFL is for Lovie Smith level coaches

Saban is a system coach and Lovie would do better there than Saban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Raku posted: