Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The bowl/lid assembly for one of our KitchenAid food processors is completely busted. The plastic is splitting. The plastic inside the food chute has worn so the little bits at the end don't get cut and just spin around inside. Then it might suddenly catch and slam the lid past the catch. We then have to pry the lid back by jamming a skewer into the spring-loaded lock to be able to free the lid and turn it back around. The reason I write "processors" is because we found another one at Goodwill for $20 that didn't work specifically because of that problem. We were just so used to fixing it that we knew we could salvage it. However, now one bowl/lid pair is just shot and the second one is getting worn too. I also don't like that I can't put them in a dishwasher dirty with other dirty stuff because food will get blown inside the inner parts of the handle and stay there forever.

Is there an alternate food processor that avoids a lot of these problems? The main Cuisinart one also looks vulnerable and I'm not convinced it'll work well in a dirty dishwasher.

The Breville models should be less vulnerable to those problems, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The Breville models should be less vulnerable to those problems, I think.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hand washing will lengthen the life expectancy of your food processor bowls/lids/what have you. I do sometimes put the main bowl in there, but never anything with working parts.

I usually end up putting in the lids, but I gave up on the base bowls after trying it a few times something like 9 years ago. They just got loaded up with too much crap inside the handle. The handle has a safety mechanism in it with a spring, but the top and sides are slightly exposed. It's just enough for stuff to get streamed into it, but it was hopeless trying to extract the stuff afterwards. I'm guessing they all have something like this. The Breville has a gap that I can see in pictures but I can't tell any more than that.

I could also be unrealistic in hoping that I'd get more than, like, a decade of life out of these. You know, kind of like treating a contemporary Whirlpool KitchenAid like it was an old Hobart.

Speaking of Whirlpool KitchenAids: Can I trust America's Test Kitchen reviews that involve them? They really liked their mixers so I am pretty sure they were shilling--even after admitting they wrecked one during the video review. They didn't recommend the food processor though; the chose the Cuisinart Custom 14. The price on that one has been getting slashed for quick sales over the past 48 hours or so.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Speaking of Whirlpool KitchenAids: Can I trust America's Test Kitchen reviews that involve them?

Consumer Reports is the only source of reviews on appliances that I really trust, but maybe I'm just :tinfoilhat: They just did an article on food processors, so maybe that might be of use. The ones they rate highest include a Breville Sous Chef, a couple of Cuisinarts, a Magimix, and the KitchenAid KFP0918CU.

I am still using a 1985 Regal "La Machine." It's about as basic as it gets, and both the bowl and lid go happily in the dishwasher (on the no heat setting) when needed. It was inexpensive enough that it didn't owe me anything like 35 years of use, but there it is.

The Energizer Bunny of food processors, I guess.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Robot Coupe is the pro kitchen standard for a food processor, but they ain't cheap.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The OG cusinarts were made by robocoupe of you can manage to find one on auction somewhere.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

TofuDiva posted:

Consumer Reports is the only source of reviews on appliances that I really trust, but maybe I'm just :tinfoilhat: They just did an article on food processors, so maybe that might be of use. The ones they rate highest include a Breville Sous Chef, a couple of Cuisinarts, a Magimix, and the KitchenAid KFP0918CU.

I am still using a 1985 Regal "La Machine." It's about as basic as it gets, and both the bowl and lid go happily in the dishwasher (on the no heat setting) when needed. It was inexpensive enough that it didn't owe me anything like 35 years of use, but there it is.

The Energizer Bunny of food processors, I guess.

By browsing CR I just learned of a brand of stand mixer called SMEG. Which just seems like terrible branding.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

By browsing CR I just learned of a brand of stand mixer called SMEG. Which just seems like terrible branding.

I used to giggle every time I went into William Sonoma because they carried a lot of smeg.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve always found the Smeg fridges very strange. Who wants to store their milk in smeg?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gems backwards

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why does chicken taste different after refrigeration? Chicken on the day tastes delicious, but if I refrigerate for even a day, it just tastes like a less pleasant chickenier smell version, it doesn't have the same va-va-voom. Fridge is at 3 celsius, it's not an expiry issue. I get food packed up and in the fridge within 2 hours. I've been noticing it a lot lately and it makes having leftover curry not as enjoyable, even though I used to always look forward to leftover curry cause some sort of magic happens that makes it taste better.

Edit: it's the microwaving https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/08/what-is-warmed-over-flavor-leftover-chicken-meat.html

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 3, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Robot coupe still makes consumer food processors, and they're really nice. I have one. The brand name is Magimix, and despite some convenience issues with the lid, it's well worth the money. The motor has a 30 year warranty, and the blades are made by Sabatier in France.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

pile of brown posted:

Robot Coupe is the pro kitchen standard for a food processor, but they ain't cheap.

Here I was thinking "ain't cheap" meant "north of $500".

When in fact the CHEAPEST Robot Coupe I just saw online was over $1200 :gonk:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

think about how cool you'll sound when you say coop-ehh, it's worth it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TofuDiva posted:

Spinach ideas, anyone?

A wonderful family member brought fresh spinach - lots and lots and lots of fresh spinach. We enjoyed salads, smoothies, sauteed it with garlic, put some in soups and ramen, made pesto, stuffed squash with it, and just ate handfuls of it rolled up with a bit of lemon and tahini.

He's now gone back to his island and I still have a couple of generous quarts of the spinach. It's probably past its prime for salads, but would still serve well with light cooking. Anybody have an offbeat favorite that you'd be willing to share?

I like it wilted into a tofu and chickpea curry.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qubee posted:

Why does chicken taste different after refrigeration? Chicken on the day tastes delicious, but if I refrigerate for even a day, it just tastes like a less pleasant chickenier smell version, it doesn't have the same va-va-voom. Fridge is at 3 celsius, it's not an expiry issue. I get food packed up and in the fridge within 2 hours. I've been noticing it a lot lately and it makes having leftover curry not as enjoyable, even though I used to always look forward to leftover curry cause some sort of magic happens that makes it taste better.

Edit: it's the microwaving https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/08/what-is-warmed-over-flavor-leftover-chicken-meat.html
Huh, good to know.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
nvm, found the pressure cooker thread...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 5, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got way too much carrot and celery due to circumstances outside my control.

Outside of making a bunch of mirepoix, ants on a log, and crudites, WTF can do with 2lbs+ of carrots and celery?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

I've got way too much carrot and celery due to circumstances outside my control.

Outside of making a bunch of mirepoix, ants on a log, and crudites, WTF can do with 2lbs+ of carrots and celery?

I made turkey pot pie with some thanksgiving leftovers. Leftover turkey and gravy were the base, then carrots, celery, potatoes i had extra of, plus peas and puff pastry.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

toplitzin posted:

Make quadruple the quantity of this curried carrot, lentil and cashew nut soup, my favourite thing to do with lots of carrots

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I made turkey pot pie with some thanksgiving leftovers. Leftover turkey and gravy were the base, then carrots, celery, potatoes i had extra of, plus peas and puff pastry.

I made Shepard's/Cottage Pie Sunday Night and that's how i ended up with the first round of carrots and celery. However, I think next weeks menu might have some Chicken Schwarma Pot Pie on it.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Make quadruple the quantity of this curried carrot, lentil and cashew nut soup, my favourite thing to do with lots of carrots

:bisonyes:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
gently caress grating all those carrots though just slice em and they'll be soft enough to blend after 10 minutes boiling

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I know I have restaurant brain but the idea of freaking out about 2# of carrots is really funny to me... One time the produce company dropped us 75# of carrots due to an error

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pile of brown posted:

I know I have restaurant brain but the idea of freaking out about 2# of carrots is really funny to me... One time the produce company dropped us 75# of carrots due to an error

You would have loved the guy in here who once complained that he had to peel 8 potatoes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I always buy the 5lb bag of carrots because its cheap and they stay good in the fridge for a while. We make roasted carrots all the time though so I go through 5lb a month with just my wife and I .

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How can I marinade chicken thighs without the marinade sticking to the meat and burning when I stir fry it super hot? I food processed a bunch of aromatics (ginger, lemongrass, garlic, onion) and threw it into the marinade with a bunch of other stuff (sesame oil, mirin, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar) and when I stir fried it, the processed bits stayed on the chicken and prevented me from getting a really good browning on it as I had to heat manage constantly to not burn stuff. I imagine the sauces added to the burning cause of the sugar content.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Sounds like you gotta make some shepherds pie, my dude.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It turned out great though, I didn't burn it, not as browned as I wanted. I just wanna know if there's a way to pummel chicken with heat like you can when it's just on it's own to get it golden and crisp, I honestly can't be bothered with the heat management and constant attention. Wiping off with kitchen roll and then adding the marinade later once you've browned it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

gently caress grating all those carrots though just slice em and they'll be soft enough to blend after 10 minutes boiling

I have a food processor and can be done in seconds.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

It turned out great though, I didn't burn it, not as browned as I wanted. I just wanna know if there's a way to pummel chicken with heat like you can when it's just on it's own to get it golden and crisp, I honestly can't be bothered with the heat management and constant attention. Wiping off with kitchen roll and then adding the marinade later once you've browned it?

I haven't tried this but I feel like an air fryer might be a good method here?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I take this thread for granted and immediately run here whenever I have a question related to cooking, cause sometimes you lot knock it out the park with your replies and it's like having a wisdom infusion directly into my brain. I did some googling and I'm not meant to be adding sugary stuff to the marinade, that should be added right at the end. So marinades need to be either acidic/briney and then you finish by adding the sugary stuff like mirin. But then adding lemon for acidity has sugar in it and can burn easy so I dunno.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You would have loved the guy in here who once complained that he had to peel 8 potatoes

Thank goodness for tater mits!

On the too many vegetables, thing, though - remember that there is not a single vegetable that exists which cannot be stir fried or kimcheed to great effect.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Qubee posted:

I take this thread for granted and immediately run here whenever I have a question related to cooking, cause sometimes you lot knock it out the park with your replies and it's like having a wisdom infusion directly into my brain. I did some googling and I'm not meant to be adding sugary stuff to the marinade, that should be added right at the end. So marinades need to be either acidic/briney and then you finish by adding the sugary stuff like mirin. But then adding lemon for acidity has sugar in it and can burn easy so I dunno.

in general yes things with sugar will burn off quite easy. especially if you're cooking in a pan (as opposed to grilling, where you have flexibility to cook over the coals and then move to indirect heat to reduce charring or overcooking)

but one thing to consider is that marinades dont really penetrate the meat very much so you're better off wiping off right before cooking. it also helps with browning to have less moisture on the outside surface.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I want to know about they guy bitching about peeling 8 potatoes. I find that too funny. Also between carrot guy and I think the guy who had 50lbs of onion who the gently caress is giving out food like this. I have to beg my immediate family to give me their ham bone after thanksgiving so I can make delicious soups.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Carrot dude should lactoferment a jar of em

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

toplitzin posted:

It's the perfect season for Potage Crécy. Unless you dwell in the antipodes. Which sounds like a euphemism involving pr0k's Mom but isn't, because if it was you'd already have something to do with all those carrots.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

toplitzin posted:

What everyone else said. Or, if you are interested in handling them separately, then you could do some braised celery (yum) and gajar ka halva (double yum). The halvah is easy but time consuming, but it is nutritious and really tasty.

Braised celery:

Ingredients:
8 large stalks of celery
1 tablespoon olive oil
A small red sweet pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
1/2 cup stock
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper (white pepper is nice)

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet. Add the celery and cook, moving the celery around occasionally, for about 4 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring quickly to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 4-5 minutes until celery is at your desired level of tenderness.
3. Remove the celery and red pepper and set aside. Increase the heat and cook to reduce the liquid. Add the celery and red pepper back into the skillet and toss to glaze.
4. Toss a little teriyaki sauce in before serving, if desired.

Carrot halvah:

Ingredients:
4 cups milk
2 lbs carrots, peeled and grated
2 cardamom pods
10 tablespoons ghee (or neutral veg oil)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup raisins, lightly fried (optional)
1/4 cup almonds or cashews, lightly fried (optional)
1 cup heavy cream for serving (optional)

Method:

1. Combine the milk, carrots, and cardamom pods in a heavy pot (I use a cast iron dutch oven). Bring to a boil then lower heat and cook it down, stirring occasionally, until there isn't any liquid left.
2. Add the ghee, turn down the heat a little more, and start frying the carrot mixture, stirring constantly. (Constantly!)
3. It iwll gradually turn from orange to a lush reddish brown. It will take a while. Bring a book along and sit by the stove.
4. Add the sugar, raisins, and almonds, and cook mixture for another few minutes.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, with a drizzle of cream if desired.

Add a little ghee to a frying pan and heat to coat the pan. Roast cashew nuts until golden brown and add the raisins to the pan for a few seconds.Remove the cashews and raisins and keep aside.
2. Add the carrots to the pan and saute the carrots. Add Half and Half, and heat for about an hour. Add cardamom and starting with medium heat, stirring, and lowering the heat after the mixture starts boiling. Heat until almost dry.
3. Add sugar, mix, and continue to cook until the carrot halwa is semi dry.
4. Remove from stove and add cashews and raisins.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

It's the perfect season for Potage Crécy. Unless you dwell in the antipodes. Which sounds like a euphemism involving pr0k's Mom but isn't, because if it was you'd already have something to do with all those carrots.

This was well developed.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I got WAY too many carrots from my dad's garden, so these year I made a big pot of roasted carrot cumin soup. I also tried making a thai peanut version, but I used too much PB and the taste was too strong.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Going to try the gelatin oil cleaning trick, but for some reason the grocery I shop at most of the time doesn't carry any gelatin just Bakol vegan stuff. Anyone try using this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The thickening ingredient is carrageenan which is used to thicken liquids and is an emulsifier but I can't find search results that say if it works to thicken just oil. How much is that stuff? Probably worth a try if it's not too expensive.