Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also Dillinger Escape Plan just released a Calculating Infinity-era live album:

https://relapsealumni.bandcamp.com/album/live-infinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Posted this in the other thread but if you guys never listened to Maximum the Hormone you probably should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdwT5JlH8gM

MTH loving owns, I've probably posted this and a few others of theirs around the forums a good few times over the last 5-6 years.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906-IsEsG0w

Yooooooooooooooooooooooo, gotta new single from Pressure Cracks

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906-IsEsG0w

Yooooooooooooooooooooooo, gotta new single from Pressure Cracks
That hit the motherfucking spot like nothing else, but now I'm like "GET US ANOTHER EP OR A NEW ALBUM".

Dude's been busier than he ever was with Letlive, hasn't he?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Wamsutta posted:

I can't imagine how bored I'd be if all I ever listened to was the most brutal (as approved by Shoog) pigsqueal deathcore

what a coincidence that spotify's year-end thing just came out today to help me prove the hater's wrong

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So I listened to 16 hours of Polaris this year. Not enough imo.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

wandler20 posted:

So I listened to 16 hours of Polaris this year. Not enough imo.

That’s kind of a lot considering they only put out one new song in 2019. Try some new poo poo on now and then, my guy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Beelzebozo posted:

That’s kind of a lot considering they only put out one new song in 2019. Try some new poo poo on now and then, my guy.

I'm always adding to my playlist but I still have the entire Mortal Coil album on my playlist and some of the older stuff so it comes up a lot. It gets harder as you get older (drat kids) and have less time to search out new music. I use this thread quite a bit and it's very helpful because you guys are always throwing new poo poo out there.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

wandler20 posted:

I'm always adding to my playlist but I still have the entire Mortal Coil album on my playlist and some of the older stuff so it comes up a lot. It gets harder as you get older (drat kids) and have less time to search out new music. I use this thread quite a bit and it's very helpful because you guys are always throwing new poo poo out there.

I feel that, actually. I'm 39 with two little kids. I'm just fortunate to have a job where I can wear headphones all day if I want. Also, I just looked at my stats, and I owe you an apology. My favorite band didn't release anything new this year, and they were still my tenth most played artist at 11 out of my 358 hours for 2019. And Mortal Coil bangs out; it was my #2 release of 2017. That latest single is great, and here's hoping the next Polaris tape is great.

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

ShoogaSlim posted:

what a coincidence that spotify's year-end thing just came out today to help me prove the hater's wrong

Hell yeah, End of the Night slaps

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://youtu.be/CoUFZvGc1GE

Hey, nerds, I'm back and I'm bring more Jason Aalon Butler. This time in the form of a feature on a new single from The Used. I don't love The Used (although a few songs bang), but this is very much my poo poo.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The Used's singer is such an insufferable 'I took one sociology class in college and now let me tell you about all the ills of the world and how you should live your life' fart huffer based on some radio interviews I heard that I dislike their music even more than I did before learning how badly he sucks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I worked one of their shows and the album signing or whatever they did after and the singer was making fun of most of the people coming up to the signing table after they left, it was pretty lovely not gonna lie

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

XIII posted:

https://youtu.be/CoUFZvGc1GE

Hey, nerds, I'm back and I'm bring more Jason Aalon Butler. This time in the form of a feature on a new single from The Used. I don't love The Used (although a few songs bang), but this is very much my poo poo.

Woah. Haven't liked anything from The Used for the last decade or so but that may be even better than the Pressure Cracks track. Shame Bert's apparently a major douche but I just assume everyone from that mid-2000s scene is a terrible person to some extent.

Here's a super vague AotY-ish list. Looking back through my 2019 playlist, it's been kind of a weird year with a ton of very solid releases but not a lot that I see myself coming back to in 5 years.

Stuff I listened to a lot (not all -core but at least in the realm of dumb shouty guitar music):
The Callous Daoboys - Die on Mars
Capstan - Restless Heart, Keep Running
Cory Wells - The Way We Are
Graduating Life - Grad Life (this was released in 2018 but I discovered it this year and it slaps so)
Guerrilla Warfare - C O N S U M E
Knocked Loose - A Different Shade of Blue
Microwave - Death is a Warm Blanket
Pup - Morbid Stuff
Weighbridge - Limbic Resonance
When I Say Jump - Separation Anxiety

Stuff I liked a lot but didn't listen to as much (again, not strictly -core but vaguely heavy and/or punk-leaning):
Brand of Sacrifice - God Hand
Can't Swim - Foreign Language
Counterparts - Nothing Left to Love
Dayseeker - Sleeptalk
Dead/Awake - S/T
Despised Icon - Purgatory
Free Throw - What's Past is Prologue
Infant Annihilator - The Battle of Yaldabaoth
Left Behind - No One Goes to Heaven
Norma Jean - All Hail
Origami Angel - Somewhere City
Periphery - Hail Stan
Proper. - I Spent the Winter Writing Songs About Getting Better
Stray From The Path - Internal Atomics
The Last Ten Seconds of Life - Machina Non Grata

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 6, 2019

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Beelzebozo posted:

I haven’t done mine yet (Earthshatter tape out this week and a couple other odds and ends), but I’ll post it here once I do

Lol no it's not :haw:
https://twitter.com/Earthshatter416/status/1202924878854283272?s=20
Will drop my extreme effort post AOTY list later today then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wamsutta posted:

The Used's singer is such an insufferable 'I took one sociology class in college and now let me tell you about all the ills of the world and how you should live your life' fart huffer based on some radio interviews I heard that I dislike their music even more than I did before learning how badly he sucks
While I don't much care for the Osbournes outside of the prince of loving darkness himself, when Kelly described him as having a big case of the Lead Singer Disease back when they briefly dated, she loving undershoot the mark. Dude is as unpleasant a fuckbin as it's been mentioned here and elsewhere.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Gonna start by saying overall this felt like a down year for the genres I like best. Most years I go into AOTY knowing for sure what #1 and maybe #2–3 are and having a general idea of what I’m going to make space at the bottom for. This year, I genuinely didn’t know what my #1 was until I really dug into it. But aided by data from Apple Music’s new Spotify end of year feature rip-off I have arrived at my top ten.

Album of the Year

Last year in this post I said, "maybe Brand of Sacrifice will be great", and boy are they! Er, were they, rather? Now it looks like Kyle and Leo and the gang are moving on again already; this time to hardcore. Obviously a Berserk gimmick wasn’t too long for this world. So will an Earthshatter tape be my AOTY 2020? I clearly love these guys’ work, whatever the genre.

Beelz’ Top 10 Albums of 2019
  1. Brand of Sacrifice – God Hand (7/05)
  2. Issues – Beautiful Oblivion (10/04)
  3. Auras – Binary Garden (7/12)
  4. Northlane – Alien (8/02)
  5. FEVER 333 – STRENGTH IN NUMB333RS (1/18)
  6. Born of Osiris – The Simulation (1/11)
  7. Shrezzers – Relationships (1/07)
  8. Fit for an Autopsy – The Sea of Tragic Beasts (10/25)
  9. Valleys – Fearless (10/11)
  10. Lee McKinney – Infinite Mind (3/29)

A couple other honorable mentions, explanations of omission, and other notes from the past year in -core:
  • Honorable mention to Rings of Saturn, who failed to make my list for a second release in a row. I like those guys a lot. Last night’s 40 minute video where Lucas Mann owns Jared Dines’ punk bitch rear end is glorious. :munch: I like their music. It’s inventive and cool, and I’m glad they’re around. I guess I just am not all that down for playing a whole tape of it at once? Idk, I should replay them more. It’s top 11 stuff, but I just never go back to it for additional listens for one raisin or another. :shrug:
  • Honorable mention to weird euro acts, France’s Kadinja and Italy’s Destrage. Their 2019 offerings were both solid if not top tier, and I want to hear more.
  • It’s been said here by others, but I too think I’ve grown bored of generic deathcore sounds e.g. TAIM and IA. Somebody please come through and shake that up.
  • October 11th was the best Friday, with five solid releases that fought for play time and probably cannibalized each other’s chances at making this list. Valleys won, for me. Awesome debut. Keep going.
  • Biggest disappointment: Wage War
  • My favorite unsigned band, Forgetting the Memories, finally got a record deal. This year they just put out old songs on an EP. Can’t wait for full-length next year.
  • My hometown heroes K//L didn’t make my list. I wanted their record to sound more like Still I Wander South and Forget Your Name and less like all the other songs on it. Drag. I’m glad others liked it more than I did.
  • ERRA was my #1 in 2016, and then their next release didn’t make my list at all. This year’s new single ripped, and I hope it means we are get something better than Neon next.
  • Same for 2019 singles from Currents, Make Them Suffer, Greyhaven, Polaris, Veil of Maya, Earthists., and Invent, Animate. All bangers. 2020 could be sick.
Thanks for reading. If nobody argues with any of this I’ll assume it was tl;dr because I have pretty dumb opinions a lot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wamsutta posted:

I saw The Used when they were on tour with ETID opening for them, and somebody crowd surfed and ended up on stage and Bert literally ran away from him, it was...something.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I am going to expose myself as an old and that's fine but the whole 'let's put weird synths and robot noises and and samples into songs thing' that I blame Code Orange for mainly is the heavy music version of soundcloud rap and I can't wait until it goes away. It was sweet in that one OBW song in the early 2000s. Anyway I'll be in my easy chair

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wamsutta posted:

I am going to expose myself as an old and that's fine but the whole 'let's put weird synths and robot noises and and samples into songs thing' that I blame Code Orange for mainly is the heavy music version of soundcloud rap and I can't wait until it goes away. It was sweet in that one OBW song in the early 2000s. Anyway I'll be in my easy chair

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_FbzopZWc

Related: Ben Koller...how?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d_FbzopZWc

Related: Ben Koller...how?

that sounds like four songs at once and I don't like any of them

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wamsutta posted:

that sounds like four songs at once and I don't like any of them

The fact that The Armed sounds like they're trying to play 3+ songs at any given moment is a large part of why I love them. The last minuteish of Witness is loving transcendent.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm reposting this because I don't think enough (if any) of y'all clicked it the first time and it's just too drat good to get overlooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aez_t6DiuSE

Dying Wish is firmly seated at the top of my To Watch in 2020 list. Saw them open for SFTM/Counterparts and I don't think I've ever seen an opener get a crowd more fired up than they did.

(I actually like this song more, but the link above has a feature from Bryan Garris so it's a good jumping off point)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qRti7KuUIA

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

ShoogaSlim posted:

i really like these spotify charts but I'm one of 8 people that still uses last.fm so I have to settle for this:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

XIII posted:

Hey, nerds, I'm back and I'm bring more Jason Aalon Butler

Raise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_VqMbW09S4

Your move.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, yeah, I listened to that yesterday, but it didn't blow my skirt up, so I didn't post it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

XIII posted:

Haha, yeah, I listened to that yesterday, but it didn't blow my skirt up, so I didn't post it.

I got heavy RatM vibes from it, which extremely blows my skirt up. :corsair:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

It's definitely one of the better Fever 333 tracks, but something about it just doesn't click for me. Basically anytime I listen to them I just find myself wishing it was letlive. or Pressure Cracks

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

It's definitely one of the better Fever 333 tracks, but something about it just doesn't click for me. Basically anytime I listen to them I just find myself wishing it was letlive. or Pressure Cracks
What exactly drove letlive. apart? afaik the band was doing fairly well live and sales-wise with iitd.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Wark Say posted:

What exactly drove letlive. apart? afaik the band was doing fairly well live and sales-wise with iitd.

I remember a loud wire article about their breakup that talked about how there were conflicting views among members about where the band should go and they just decided to split instead. I don’t think Butler was too keen on how big they were getting personally.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just remember that they announced they were splitting the same day Vanna announced the same. Was a bummer day

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

XIII posted:

I just remember that they announced they were splitting the same day Vanna announced the same. Was a bummer day

Vanna was a band I liked when I was sampling a bunch of metalcore bands when I picked up the genre a couple years ago. What happened to those guys?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Vanna was a band I liked when I was sampling a bunch of metalcore bands when I picked up the genre a couple years ago. What happened to those guys?

Not sure. All Hell, Void, and The Few and Far Between were killer albums. I listened to a fair bit of their earlier albums way back, but none of them really stuck with me like their last three.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

Not sure. All Hell, Void, and The Few and Far Between were killer albums. I listened to a fair bit of their earlier albums way back, but none of them really stuck with me like their last three.

Yeah, they never really clicked with me on the the first albums, but when Davey Muise came on and they released The Few and Far Between, it completely turned around for me. Those three albums you mentioned are some of my go-to's when I can't think of what to put on - they always hit the spot.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

stats from a platform that doesn't alter the results and exclude bands like Infant Annihilator from showing up. i lost a lot of respect for spotify this year

Parachute
May 18, 2003
ive been jamming that callous daoboys record a bunch. gives me like mr bungle + every time i die vibes and reminds me a bit of this band who disappeared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccHNTriMSrE

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
https://twitter.com/hastetheday/status/1204236552337014787?s=19

Lol

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
COOL CORN are you involved in the new Glass Casket apparently coming out next year??

https://metalinjection.net/latest-news/yes/glass-casket-between-the-buried-and-me-reportedly-releasing-new-music-in-2020

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
The shock I had, when I realized The Callous Daoboys was a real band and not just an online meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Acacia Strain might have a new album out next week:

quote:

The Acacia Strain Reportedly Planning To Release New Album This Month.
https://www.theprp.com/2019/12/20/news/the-acacia-strain-reportedly-planning-to-release-new-album-this-month/

Hmmmmm