Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is a good post. More posts like this please metal thread.

When I was a child, not more than 10, I would spend a lot of time at a friend's house. This friend had an older brother who he shared his room with and this older brother was a bit of a "bad kid" so he always had fireworks and throwing stars and all manner of other cool forbidden things. But the one thing that stuck with me for the longest time was a massive poster of Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son right over his bed. I used to stare at that poster and try to imagine what kind of world a thing like that could exist in. It was mesmerizing. It was so foreign and magical and scary and it just made me want to know more. I just could not get that poster out of my head.

Now imagine you're a 10 year old kid and you see your friend pull a record off a shelf and as he lifts it up you see the exact image as the poster that has captured your imagination. The needle hits the record and you hear those first lines from "Moonchild"

Seven deadly sins
Seven ways to win
Seven holy paths to hell and your trip begins
Seven downward slopes
Seven bloodied hopes
Seven are your burning fires
Seven your desires

All of those thoughts you had about that poster. Somehow they all make sense now. Then the synth and those first big guitar chords. More pounding, driving guitar and then all of a sudden Bruce Dickinson belts out that first "I AM HE." I mean gently caress. That just blew me away. I borrowed that record and wore it the gently caress out. That is my absolutely first metal memory and that record is like an old friend. Every drat song is a time warp taking me back to a simpler time where I'm 10 years old laying in my bed blasting that record through oversized headphones. Just staring at the ceiling and daydreaming to those magical songs about that magical world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

According to Spotify my top artist of the year and decade was Armin Van Buuren because of A State of Trance. Other than him my top on that platforrm was Bloodbound, on Last.fm my top artist of the year was Poison the Well.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Black Sabbath.

I have developed the tastes of a dad over this past year.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Green Lung all the way, though Rivers of Nihil is a close second (I was also late on their last album).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are a lot of bands that sound sort of like them but they're all boring.

That seems very on point, considering Nevermore is extremely boring too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

deedee megadoodoo posted:

then all of a sudden Bruce Dickinson belts out that first "I AM HE."

yeah this is also a great post

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
According to last.fm my #1 band I listened to this year was Necros Christos at 1,089 plays.

Necros Christos owns.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my most listened to artist of 2019 was The Magnetic Fields so I'll turn in my metal card now

ok the rest of the top 5 were Wovenhand, Falls of Rauros, Grails, and Slough Feg so I'll take it back. I dont even like Grails that much!

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 5, 2019

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah that'll happen when you listen to 50 Song Memoir once.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'll be honest, I listened to the new Rammstein a loving ton this year.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Turns out mine was actually Ringo Deathstarr :v:

(BTBAM was #2)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I'll be honest, I listened to the new Rammstein a loving ton this year.

That's because industrial is still cool, but most of the acts that are working in the genre are loving it up with some really cheesy synth work. Rammstein is the only one still leaning more towards the metal side of things.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

button should read more like "Press F"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish Google Music did poo poo like this!! :(

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

yeah I’ve been loving caning Gloryhammer

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My favourite thing was how the Spotify wrap-up was like "You listened to a lot of different genres and don't let one single style define you!" and then it showed a column just saying "Metal" towering above all the other columns, which mostly just listed different metal subgenres. Also one column said "Voidgaze" which is a term I have never heard of before, but I have a feeling might be referring to the Jess by the Lake album, because it sounds like something she might cheekily label her music as.

Also apparently my most played artist this year was Pristine, which is suprising. I do love them but I don't feel like I've listened to their last album THAT much.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 5, 2019

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I had voidgaze too and have no idea what the gently caress I listen to that qualifies as that.

Edit: A google search says Spotify thinks atmoblack is voidgaze. Honestly a cooler name.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
You've listened to artists from 26 countries.

That's kind of a lot? But I thought it was going to be more than that, honestly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I wish Google Music did poo poo like this!! :(

Apple Music is trying to do it.. but it's really lovely. All it is is a playlist of your most played songs, along with a counter for times played.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

;)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nazzadan posted:

I had voidgaze too and have no idea what the gently caress I listen to that qualifies as that.

Edit: A google search says Spotify thinks atmoblack is voidgaze. Honestly a cooler name.

Okay this makes sense I guess, I've listened to a bunch of atmoblack too but not really focused on a single artist so they probably wouldn't show in my top artists.

Also, my listening time is about 428 hours and Pristine was apparently only 13 of those hours, so it's not like the margins between artists are all that huge in my case.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 5, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

nah at the end of Atheist's set Kelly said that A&P couldn't make it for whatever reason, so I dunno if they even jumped back on the tour yet

They're off for the Chicago date too. So now we have Gigan. I would rather just have three or four bands!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
According to Spotify, my most listened to artist of the decade was Ghost

:catholic:

Suck it nerds

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

Mine says I listened to a lot of "post-doom"

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
A&P dropping off the Chicago date suuucks

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I could believe this but the only time I got to see them was when Lemmy was clearly dying and it was kind of like going to a nursing home

ooh yeah that doesn't sound good

i last saw them around 2002-3 when they toured with anthrax, who were a lot better than i was expecting

there was definitely a slight feeling of going through the motions every older band develops but they really sounded like nothing else, and mikkey dee is super underrated

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fenrir posted:

That would make a good/dumb derail: what's everyone's most played this year?

Faith No More, followed by Helloween, Pennywise, Outkast, and Snapcase. A good variety, I feel, and 31,000+ minutes is a definitive improvement over my 585 minutes in 2018. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm listening to Prokopton now, and honestly I'm pretty sure Aephanemer would have been my #1 artist in that wrap up thing had the album not been pulled from Spotify for several months for some record company marketing malarkey. God this album whips so much rear end.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo, Pennywise is still around?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Meh, my spotify account is the master user for our family premium so my playlist gets hosed up because of the Amazon Echo we use at home. My wife uses it all the time & our 3-year-old learned quickly that she could tell Alexa to play music. As a result, my list this year was something like Guster/Frozen soundtrack/Coco soundtrack/Brandi Carlile/Tomb Mold. I still managed to represent

Last year's Wrapped was very similar in how underrepresented I was but still produced this great screencap

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That owns

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

KozmoNaut posted:

Ace of Spades, man.

Take a few minutes, sit down and actually listen to it. It's the greatest rock'n'roll power trio in the history of rock'n'roll, hopped up on speed and booze and more sex than any mortal man should be able to handle. They're wired and going 200mph and there's no slowing them down. It's like a well-oiled but way over-fueled machine, charging towards a cliff edge, and nobody cares because it just. Rules. So. Hard.

It's also under three minutes long. All that, all that in and done in 2:48.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Holy poo poo, Pennywise is still around?

Somehow. They had the dude from Ignite (I think) on vocals for a little while, but their original vocalist is back now. I think all of the time I spent listening to them this year was listening to About Time, since it's still my favorite skatepunk album and might as well have been the soundtrack to my later high school days.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spookygonk posted:

It's also under three minutes long. All that, all that in and done in 2:48.

Fast and Loose, baby.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo it's actually funnier than I thought. Couldn't see the whole thing with remote desktop screen cropping, but yeah here we go:

Had no idea SSPU was #1, but they did put out a goddamn good record this year :v:

The only thing this doesn't count is my one-track lossless file of Winter's Gate by Insomnium that I probably listened to at least 60 or 70 times this year. It would very likely be my #1 song, but maybe not enough to bump Insomnium into the top 5.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 5, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, despite Ace of Spades being surface level as poo poo - the album fuckin rips. Love Me Like a Reptile is so goddamn banging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6dtkuKvao

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nativity In Black posted:

I'm travelling to Chicago in January to catch Heilung. My friends and I have decided to make a whole week of it and I'm curious if anyone can point me to good bars/venues to check out to maybe catch another show while I'm in town. I'm looking for local dives and mid size venues in particular.

I believe someone else mentioned Kuma's Corner already (go to the original if you can as it's the one with most divey atmosphere).

There's also Exit which is the main metal bar in Chicago. They're open 7 days a week from 9 PM - 4 AM:

https://www.exit-chicago.com/

As far as other local venues that play metal, I'll list some below, but The Chicago Metal Factory is a local promoter whose website is basically just a calendar for any and all metal shows in the Chicagoland area.

http://thecmf.com/

Smallish venues/bars in Chicago that have metal shows:

Empty Bottle: https://emptybottle.com/

Live Wire Lounge: http://livewireloungechicago.com/

Cobra Lounge: https://www.cobralounge.com/

Reggie's Rock Club/Music Joint (1 Building w/ 2 venues): https://www.reggieslive.com/

Beat Kitchen: https://www.beatkitchen.com/

Bottom Lounge: https://bottomlounge.com/

Also, while you're there, there's a metal art show featuring various cover artists like Dan Seagrave, Justin Bartlett, Noelia Towers, Tomek Radziewicz, Jacob Bannon, Mark Riddick, Eliran Kantor, Arik Moonhawk Roper, etc.:

https://publicworksgallery.com/post/188427857854/you-will-die

Kilometers Davis posted:

Uhhh okay I need to check that out!

Apparently he's also done stories for a series of comics called Sword & Steel which are anthologies of Conan-like comics by musicians from metal bands like Manilla Road:

http://dmrbooks.storenvy.com/products/21881789-swords-of-steel-bundle

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 5, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MrBling posted:

That seems very on point, considering Nevermore is extremely boring too.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think something like 10% of your posts are making sure Nevermore gets poo poo-talked when someone mentions them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Quote is not Edit.