Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogger
Sep 8, 2019
I can't watch TLJ due to its cretinous behaviour, hopefully and impossibly TROS will be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

put purrgil in the rise of skywalker

I hope sturgill simpson has a cat named purrgill

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Mozi posted:

My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.
Much like sand, which gets everywhere
And is most annoying.

M'clunkey :tipshat:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CodfishCartographer posted:

I always took the “I’m a senator!” line to more or less imply “this would cause a bigass fuckin scandal.” I mean, Jedi aren’t allowed to love, so if their relationship went public (because she’s presumably a very public figure) it could ruin her career. This isn’t something that was elaborated on at all, since it’s not like she has a political opponent looking to expose a scandal on her or anything

The movie kicks off with a series of assassination attempts against her, op.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

sassassin posted:

She dresses in sexy fetish gear for him way before then. She's uncomfortable because she's as much an emotionally stunted wreck as he is.

Anakin's cult is the Jedi, Padme's is the Republic.They're both child soldiers indoctrinated into an ideology that leads to the dark side. She literally doesn't care when he admits to killing sand people - even he knew that was wrong.

You could almost say that they are the Jedi and the Republic, writ small.

Blistex posted:

Rogue One is the only movie that the Empire isn't massively holding back, and only slightly holding back when it comes to fighters. ANH and ROTJ are two of the biggest offenders, as has been said, you would realistically have had hundreds to thousands of fighters, but the technology/time/effort to do that would have been impossible/very prohibitive. TFA is the same (because it's just a copy of ANH) and TLJ should have been a massive swarm of fighters for nearly every FO scene since they brought so many capital ships.

I can't remember which one it was, I think one of the Rogue Squadron games, but one scenario was the battle at Endor and because there were so many of them, the main danger was colliding with TIE fighters, even more than getting shot.

Sydin posted:

lol this is the first thing I thought of in the theater when they were explaining the fuel nonsense. Just cut the engines you morons, you'll keep moving in the same direction and speed!

They're constantly accelerating on sublight, to stay ahead of the FO who are doing the same. Totally a non-issue.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sassassin posted:

The movie kicks off with a series of assassination attempts against her, op.

And you're saying that the assassinations would stop if she didn't gently caress a jedi?

Like honestly I'd be looking for any excuse to gently caress a jedi, her excuses to not do that make no sense.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 5, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blistex posted:

Rogue One is the only movie that the Empire isn't massively holding back, and only slightly holding back when it comes to fighters. ANH and ROTJ are two of the biggest offenders, as has been said, you would realistically have had hundreds to thousands of fighters, but the technology/time/effort to do that would have been impossible/very prohibitive. TFA is the same (because it's just a copy of ANH) and TLJ should have been a massive swarm of fighters for nearly every FO scene since they brought so many capital ships.

Actually, TLJ should have been over by the one minute mark.

-First Order jumps into orbit.
-Rebels frantically try to evacuate the planet.
-FO one-shots the Rebel fleet

Or.

-Rebels jump out of the system
-First Order follows them and starts firing (rebel shields hold)
-First Order sends more than three fighters (maybe 9?) and they do 3x the damage we see in the movie and the rebels are destroyed by the 10 minute mark.

By that logic ESB should have been over even faster. The First Order didn't show up until the resistance was almost done evacuating, the Empire brought tons of star destroyers to Hoth before the rebels had even launched their first ship. "Looks like the Empire is here and has launched fighters, we're completely hosed". But whereas the first order does wind up deploying a ton of tie fighters, the Empire doesn't seem to deploy any until after the Hoth sequence is over.

I'm guessing in both movies this conveys that the tie fighters aren't supposed to have that much firepower, like they can blow up a tiny x-wing or a bomber with enough effort but not a transport ship

The Walrus posted:

if you really wanted to be a pedant I would have gone with 'why does the 16 hour chase use any fuel at all they're just going in a straight line and there's no friction in space'

Both sides are presumably accelerating through space. Why wouldn't they be?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

The problem with that scene isnt the constant acceleration (which makes sense) but rather that it's the first time fuel ever gets mentioned IIRC and it sets up a contrived time limit.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so if they run out of fuel after constantly accelerating, how would they stop again?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Trying to analyze the mechanics of the TLJ chase is a fool's errand. You're debating the rules of Calvinball.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mozi posted:

so if they run out of fuel after constantly accelerating, how would they stop again?

space brakes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

space brakes

:doh: of course!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mozi posted:

They don't stop. Once a ship stops accelerating the first order catches up and destroys it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNcjtBkdRI

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

They don't stop. Once a ship stops accelerating the first order catches up and destroys it.

that makes too much sense

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boy, that sucked.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i clicked on it so you don't have to:

the narrator heroically makes it about half way through the video before tipping his hand that he's grinding an axe about "sjw agendas" and girls in the clubhouse, and just reiterates that his sources say it will have the same dumb plot points from the reddit leaks but cuts how the emperor is back

Burns
May 10, 2008

There has been so much misdirection and misinformation its better to just wait.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

lmao this move is 2 hours 35 loving minutes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

And you're saying that the assassinations would stop if she didn't gently caress a jedi?

Like honestly I'd be looking for any excuse to gently caress a jedi, her excuses to not do that make no sense.

She was a public figure with enemies who wanted to get rid of her. A sex scandal would be almost as good as an assassination.

The attempts wouldn't have stopped as they were part of a rube goldberg machine plot to start a galactic war, which then made her basically powerless under the weight of senate and public opinion, but she doesn't know that. She thinks she's important and has already lost one decoy on the way to some vote or other.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owlbear Camus posted:

i clicked on it so you don't have to:

the narrator heroically makes it about half way through the video before tipping his hand that he's grinding an axe about "sjw agendas" and girls in the clubhouse, and just reiterates that his sources say it will have the same dumb plot points from the reddit leaks but cuts how the emperor is back

lmao just browse the titles/thumbnails of the other videos he's made for like five seconds and the type of channel it is becomes very clear.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Padme?
You hardly know me!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Rey time travels, and it turns out she is shmi Skywalker!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Padme at least was an elected royalty turbolib (lol), so I guess anakin has that in his defense. Really it's han, dating a hereditary royalty turbolib albeit adopted, who is the truly shameful one

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 6, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought this movie is pg13?

Why does rey have a sex device?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
The StarWars is bad.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

my dog died im sad posted:

The StarWars is bad.

:hmmyes:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Oh man that really long boring leak is going to be the real one isn't it

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I'm baffled by the folks that think rogue one is good. It's so bad.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Oh man that really long boring leak is going to be the real one isn't it

Search your feelings

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The last act of rogue one is honestly great star wars, but they did nothing in the first two thirds to make is as invested in it as we should have been.

Also the digital necromancers at Disney should realize its ok just to re-cast people. Surely you can find a gaunt old actor and just have people call him "Tarkin" a couple times to get the point across.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I agree that it is not good. It's even more obviously been edited into a fine paste than TFA. It also seems a lot like the script was just never good, apart from the basic idea of doing a simple civil war story where the rebels tragically eat poo poo. But it does get the look & feel more right than the other Disney movies and that counts for a lot. It has that Doug Chiang production design which really ties it to the original movie in particular.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Also the digital necromancers at Disney should realize its ok just to re-cast people. Surely you can find a gaunt old actor and just have people call him "Tarkin" a couple times to get the point across.

When I was watching it in the theater I thought "oh they're just gonna show him at a distance with his back to the camera, that's fine" and then "oh they're just going to show an incomplete reflection of his face in the window, that's still probably fine" and then "oh no this is not fine at all"

The Protagonist posted:

Search your feelings

I have a bad feeling about this :smith:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Rey time travels, and it turns out she is shmi Skywalker!

This is so bad it's going to be true

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rogue one and han solo are the only star wars movies they did right!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
At this point my brain auto-translates "I thought Rouge One was good" to "I thought the third act of Rouge One was good" so I just nod and say yeah that beach battle sure was incredible.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

At this point my brain auto-translates "I thought Rouge One was good" to "I thought the third act of Rouge One was good" so I just nod and say yeah that beach battle sure was incredible.

Best part was Vader imo.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I wonder how the pre reshoot version of R1 differed from the final release.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Burns posted:

I wonder how the pre reshoot version of R1 differed from the final release.

"You guys see the ticket sales numbers in China for Terminator Genisys? I want a lot more China content!" - Disney Exec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The real way the death star plans were stolen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR1qrAi3gL0