Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think a single vote I've cast has ever mattered. Maybe the referendum ones but lol.

loving safe seats.

And yet you're engaging with politics to the extent that you are?

Seems like the system is working just fine :smug:

Edit: You have 7 seconds to debate me. I will be counting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Mega Comrade posted:

I defend my 2010 vote with New Labour were loving poo poo and my constituency at the time was a choice between lib dems or John loving Redwood.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1202638447992807425

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Tories: Disabled people don't understand money.
Also Tories: The National Credit Card.

We need to be protected from ourselves.

Tories are extremely smart and I, a disabled, would never be able to match them in debate.

Won't you come talk to me, Tories? :getin:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Chuka Umana posted:

UK Polling Report guy had a good argument about polls this election

What I would advise against is assuming that they are likely to be wrong in the same direction as last time, or in the direction you would like them to be. As discussed above – the methods that caused the understatement of Labour support in 2017 have largely been abandoned, so the specific error that happened in 2017 is extremely unlikely to reoccur. That does not mean polls couldn’t be wrong in different ways, but it is worth considered that the vast majority of previous errors have been in the opposite direction, and that polls in the UK have tended to over-state Labour support. Do not assume that polls being wrong automatically means under-stating Labour.

https://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/10114

My inner despair has grabbed this paragraph and is clutching it in its tight, sweaty fist :(

I would like to think that if Boris did agree to an interview with Andrew Neil, Neil would be so angry at being messed around that he'd be much less amiable than normal.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Interesting how Brexit and immigration has become slightly less important, while Labour's main strength has increased:

Also:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think a single vote I've cast has ever mattered. Maybe the referendum ones but lol.

Same. I did contribute to the massive 4% upswing for the lib dem candidate, putting her a solid 7,000 votes behind the labour candidate (who was 7,000 votes behind the conservative)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bleach Beeker's hair and inflate his suit. Job done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I trust someone who runs a website about polling to be capable of saying polls are dumb even if they were, lol.

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I defend my 2010 vote with New Labour were loving poo poo and my constituency at the time was a choice between lib dems or John loving Redwood.

Yo, Wokingham! Bracknell here. Depressing poo poo. We gave you Philip Lee. Now we have some generic Tory turd I guess

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

OwlFancier posted:

Like I trust someone who runs a website about polling to be capable of saying polls are dumb even if they were, lol.

If this is about the Mike Smithson crap then his website isn't even about polling.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Same. I did contribute to the massive 4% upswing for the lib dem candidate, putting her a solid 7,000 votes behind the labour candidate (who was 7,000 votes behind the conservative)

Clearly you knew that only they could win there ;)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No it's about "UK polling report" run by yougov running an article to say that actually, polls are good, even if they're wrong all the time.

It's me, king poll of poll mountain here to tell you that actually polls are great and you should pay for more of them.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Of course polls are almost always "wrong" but e.g. Labour being the largest party is just within the normal parameters of how wrong they might be but the Lib Dems winning is not. They're not devoid of information.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

No it's about "UK polling report" run by yougov running an article to say that actually, polls are good, even if they're wrong all the time.

It's me, king poll of poll mountain here to tell you that actually polls are great and you should pay for more of them.

We voted to get rid of all the polls and three years later YouGov are still here. What the hell?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Let's face it if it wasn't for polls half the country would think the Lib Dems were the real opposition.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Effortpost. But re: the counterargument to "but a blanket law would let predatory men get access to women".

Of course, they already DO have access to women, most toilets, changing rooms, etc are freely open to anyone right now, there's nothing there *physically* stopping anyone going into these places and that wouldn't change. So from that very obvious point, there's no actual argument.

The only way that statement actually makes sense is if you apply some qualifier to it like "and there'd be nothing anyone could do to stop them, legally". This though, is also false, as the law as it exists now and again, unchanged by anything coming in is that anyone can be removed legally from any of these places for any predatory behaviour. The only thing you *can't* remove someone from one of these places is for something like "this person is trans and it's making me uncomfortable by just existing, ugh", in that case it's kind of on you, but even then just because of this backward country's societal mores as they stand, in all likelihood what would happen in that situation is the person would leave because people kicking up a stink about you being in there is loving terrifying no matter how in the right you are, or they'd be brave and not back down but ultimately they'd get persuaded to because people don't actually know what the law is and there'd be a bullshit apology down the line where the company promises to train their staff better, but never really do because actually 99% of the time *nobody bar a few people wanting to make a point gives a gently caress about you being in there* and at that point it's just PR.

Note though that this is just talking about regular old trans and nb or just people looking gender non compliant going about their day and getting hassled, (which by the way has gone up since these ghouls started kicking off about this). This isn't predatory men thinking "finally" and going on the perv.

Like, imagine the kind of people who aren't perving now, but *would* given the incredibly flimsy and specious legal defense that this would apparently cover. They basically don't exist. Where people are going to be predatory, they're going to do it in a way that either they don't give a gently caress who sees, because they're just going to do it, gently caress the law, they're already way past the point of giving a gently caress about the law. And in the case where they decide to go in and attack women in public spaces, *they're not going to give a gently caress if the women they find in there are trans*. They get attacked just the same as anyone else.

Finally, this argument usually completely erases trans men, nb folks, women who just happen to look a certain way to the self appointed tranfinder-generals and is given way way too much time. It's crafted by agenda-pushers to appeal to a certain default "common-sense" stance that exists in the minds of people who haven't (necessarily had reason to have) thought about it much and falls apart under the slightest scrutiny.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/royal-navy-admits-exercise-started-3613894

quote:

Speaking to The News, a Royal Navy spokesman said: “We can confirm an internal exercise took place at Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton in line with established contingency plans for recall of personnel.

“These exercises are conducted on a regular basis and no significance should be drawn from the timing of the exercise.

“While the exercise was conducted properly, we regret any misunderstanding this may have caused.”

#justiceforgibbo

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 6, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

My prediction for the Johnson/Neil thing*: Neil will not back down. His pride is at stake. Johnson will not back down. His pride is at stake. Johnson has managed to burn his bridges with a major player at the BBC, rendering the institution's sycophancy less all-encompassing towards him. Johnson will take more damage from this than Neil, as Neil will get to play-act the hard-hitting journalist for the public, and Johnson looks like ever more of a ridiculous coward. Johnson will eventually be talked into a humiliating climbdown, and Neil will twist the knife because he's pissed and is no less arrogant than Johnson. It should be fun to watch :munch:

And if Johnson doesn't back down, Neil will be pushing his cowardice and lies all the way to election day, because this is personal :getin:

*Not the johnson/kneel thing, which is much more enjoyable as long as it doesn't involve either of the bastards in question.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i regret to say i have stared into the abyss that is What Wings Over Scotland is Doing These Days, and can share that he is now endorsing voting for Johann Lamont in the Glasgow South constituency. Lamont was leader of scottish labour during the 2014 independence referendum and was a constant target of his vitriol over that time, but she's also a transphobe so he's now fine voting for her against the SNP candidate who has said mean things about him and doesn't hate trans people

or he would be, if he lived in Scotland, which he doesn't for some reason

the state of this man. the state.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 6, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Oh so it was all down to naval gazing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

i regret to say i have stared into the abyss that is What Wings Over Scotland is Doing These Days, and can share that he is now endorsing voting for Johann Lamont in the Glasgow South constituency. Lamont was leader of the labour party during the 2014 independence referendum and was a constant target of his vitriol over that time, but she's also a transphobe so he's now fine voting for her against the SNP candidate who has said mean things about him and doesn't hate trans people

So the guy whose entire thing, entire raison d'ętre, was Scottish nationalism has gotten bored and decided to replace it with transphobia. Sigh. He really is a massive shite and the fact that he's not been completely ostracised from the "Yes movement" is a blot on its record.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

I found a new thing for us:

https://twitter.com/shaneoshea96/status/1202693836121821184

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Telegraph going all in

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2019/12/05/jeremy-corbyn-anti-semite/

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's a little more legitimate than that. The article states that the way they do polling in 2017 was much different then the way they're doing it now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Once the election is over, I hope Corbyn sues the pants off them. This is outrageous libel and full on no hedging.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

That's a "come at me bro" if ever there was, holy poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Once the election is over, I hope Corbyn sues the pants off them. This is outrageous libel and full on no hedging.

He pretty much can't do anything about it before the election because the optics on that... mind you when it's this bad I don't know. But after, yeah.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You know he won't though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

England? :v:

(It's bad.)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Coohoolin posted:

Right gentlegoons, I present to you the fruits of my worker collective's labour for the past few weeks. We teamed up with Scottish punk legends Toxik Ephex to record a cover of TV Smith's classic hit "Gary Gilmore's Eyes", called "Referendum Lies" with lyrics reworked for our current times. Artwork and a video are in the works, we're hoping to get it on youtube and spotify and blast it everywhere to encourage people to vote.

Give it a listen if you could, and let me know what you think! And if you like it, share share share.

https://blackcatrecordsaberdeen.bandcamp.com/track/referendum-lies

Lyrics are on the bandcamp page, but also here:

This. This is the good poo poo. You all owe it to yourselves to give it a listen.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Angepain posted:

i regret to say i have stared into the abyss that is What Wings Over Scotland is Doing These Days, and can share that he is now endorsing voting for Johann Lamont in the Glasgow South constituency. Lamont was leader of scottish labour during the 2014 independence referendum and was a constant target of his vitriol over that time, but she's also a transphobe so he's now fine voting for her against the SNP candidate who has said mean things about him and doesn't hate trans people

He's getting bodied in the replies tbh. The sooner he fucks off and makes his own special TERF party and vanishes up his own rear end in a top hat the better.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Camrath posted:

This. This is the good poo poo. You all owe it to yourselves to give it a listen.

Why thank you!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Blimey.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HJB posted:

Blimey.

Is the Telegraph the one owned by Murdoch?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

HJB posted:

Blimey.

Puzzles
Obituaries
TV Listings
Weather

That's "old people's paper" as all gently caress lol

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Puzzles
Obituaries
TV Listings
Weather

That's "old people's paper" as all gently caress lol

Jeremy Corbyn is a danger to your prune juice!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Well we don't call it the torygraph for nothing.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

TulliusCicero posted:

Is the Telegraph the one owned by Murdoch?
Times/Sun. Telegraph is owned by the Barclay brothers, an entirely different set of monstrous plutocrats.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
gently caress! I've got this guy on another message board just listing all the examples of Corbyn antisemitism and asking that I address the substance of each incident. I tried to explain how charges like that are being used by anti-leftists to discredit them while providing cover for real antisemitism. I'm an American and I've been wrapped up too much in our primary. Anybody have a handy primer I can look at or am I barking up a wrong tree?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

HJB posted:

Blimey.

they're shook :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

An interesting article about the UBI trials Labour intends to run when it forms the next government.