Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Skwirl posted:

This, absolutely this. It made me want some sort of Mad Men esque tv show about Marvel in the 70's.

That, alone, is enough to make me want to read it. Thanks, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Untold Story

This is significantly off-topic but related...is there an equivalent book or documentary about DC?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Absolute Carnage didn't do a whole lot for me, but the Maker using symbiotes to facilitate interdimensional travel while attempting to restore the Ultimate universe with the blessing of the council of Reeds is an interesting idea to spin out of the event.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Mr. Horse continues to be jus' champion, he does.

(Valkyrie: Jane Foster is so good.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Tortuga posted:

I watched the amazing documentary Amazon Prime has on Claremont's X-Men, and it really got me hankering for some more looks at behind-the-scenes Marvel. Does anyone have any good book recommendations on any period of Marvel?

Not a book, but the internet reviewer SFDebris did a pretty great breakdown of The Rise & Fall of The Comics Empire, which looks at the industry in general and Marvel in particular from about the late 80s to the present.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Kamala's symbiotish suit she got on a space adventure has gone rogue. Totally didn't see that coming.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Kamala's symbiotish suit she got on a space adventure has gone rogue. Totally didn't see that coming.

Can't wait til it spawns another suit and we get Maximum Kree-Suit.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

As a huge fan of Gambit*, I greatly enjoyed Jed MacKay (hi, Vulpes!) using Howard Mackie's T'ieves Guild history to reveal the history of the New York Thieves Guild.

Also, Odessa's angry thirst** for Felicia... :hellyeah:

*A (married!) Remy in Black Cat would be so rad. I see that direct mention!

**Conflicted feelings might be a more appropriate term. I like how there are so many layers to all the characters, except maybe Boris. He knows what he's about.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
#7 was my grand attempt at consolidating the history of the Thieves Guilds in one easy-to-read place and explaining how the schismatic NY Guild became it's own thing. As for Gambit, there's definitely potential there, as schism brings conflict...

I didn't even think though, I saw Mackie at NYCC, I should have talked to him about the Guilds.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1202618766921814016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Here's hoping it turns out better for those kids than Avengers Academy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

HA

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Here's hoping it turns out better for those kids the reader than Avengers Academy Deadpool

I mean, I liked I Hate Fairyland, but yeesh his Deadpool was the worst after Waid.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TwoPair posted:

It is a shame they went to the trouble of making them all interesting characters, then killed 5/6th of them less than two years later.

:smith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is a shame they went to the trouble of making them all interesting characters, then killed 5/6th of them less than two years later.

pretty sure the only Avengers Academy original character who was killed off was Mettle

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Blockhouse posted:

pretty sure the only Avengers Academy original character who was killed off was Mettle

Yeah Finesse just showed up in Wasp a few months ago and I believe Striker and Reptil are in the secret Leonardo da Vinci SHIELD team. Hazmat and Veil are still kicking around I think?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah Finesse just showed up in Wasp a few months ago and I believe Striker and Reptil are in the secret Leonardo da Vinci SHIELD team. Hazmat and Veil are still kicking around I think?

Hazmat's a supporting character in Captain Marvel. Veil is the only one I think has just dropped off the face of the earth.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/eveewing/status/1202718839362015232

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Blockhouse posted:

Hazmat's a supporting character in Captain Marvel. Veil is the only one I think has just dropped off the face of the earth.

And even there, it's because that's what she wanted. The last page of AA was her, voluntarily powerless, returning to life as a normal high school student.

I could've sworn Reptil was one of the characters who got murdered in Arena, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Huh. I only remember Hazmat showing up randomly in Ms Marvel. Although to be fair, they are basically dead if they are in so few books I can't remember their continued existence.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Wanderer posted:

I could've sworn Reptil was one of the characters who got murdered in Arena, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Reptil's death was strongly implied but not definitively stated -- in the last issue, his limp body is shown being fished out of a lake after Hazmat inadvertently nukes him, but it's not stated whether he's still alive.

I'm pretty sure he went completely unmentioned for like five years, but he showed up alive last year.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The art in Ironheart was gorgeous, but the writing was just alright. I wasn't wowed by the "Riri's secret evil dad" plot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you read the thread it's because that was an arc that Eve wanted to develop more slowly but had to hastily put together when she found out the book got cancelled

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

#7 was my grand attempt at consolidating the history of the Thieves Guilds in one easy-to-read place and explaining how the schismatic NY Guild became it's own thing. As for Gambit, there's definitely potential there, as schism brings conflict...

I didn't even think though, I saw Mackie at NYCC, I should have talked to him about the Guilds.

Cannot wait for the conflict to end with Felicia and Remy showing each other pictures and videos of their cats, uniting the guilds as Odessa fumes.

Also, Marvel give me a Remy LeBeau equivalent picture (obviously taken by Rogue) please:

https://twitter.com/_nao_fuj/status/1136738288616611840

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

howe_sam posted:

i am very glad it happened quick because i found it really ugly and love the og suit so much aaaa

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Metalshark posted:

Cannot wait for the conflict to end with Felicia and Remy showing each other pictures and videos of their cats, uniting the guilds as Odessa fumes.

Also, Marvel give me a Remy LeBeau equivalent picture (obviously taken by Rogue) please:

https://twitter.com/_nao_fuj/status/1136738288616611840

Who's Simon named after? The Saint?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yeah, "Templar" seemed a little to aggro a name for a kitty.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Well, someone just saw season 3 of American Horror Story....

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Well, someone just saw season 3 of American Horror Story....

There’s even a Sorcerer Supreme in charge of the school and everything.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I made a post awhile ago asking about this. How has Marvel never done a Totally Not Hogwarts with Dr. Strange? They couldn't wait to rip off Hunger Games but it takes 20 years to rip off Harry Potter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heathen posted:

I made a post awhile ago asking about this. How has Marvel never done a Totally Not Hogwarts with Dr. Strange? They couldn't wait to rip off Hunger Games but it takes 20 years to rip off Harry Potter.

Dr Strange is absolutely not Dumbledore. And the way Magic works in Marvel there's not really a way to actually teach someone how to do it usually.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Does Scarlet Witch have the mutant power to do magic? Or did she go to Wizard school?

Thinking about it, are her and Quicksilver still mutants? I know they changed it because of the movie rights stuff but I assume they will quietly not mention that again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Scarlet Witch has chaos magic, which I assume is a different brand of magic compared to what Strange uses.

I think the problem is that for Marvel and DC both there's so many different characters with their own type of magic no one else has that making a Hogwarts style setting can't really work too well since there's just no standard rules across all characters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I loved the Aaron Doctor Strange run about magic being destroyed because it really drives home the idea that there are nearly zero Marvel magic characters (and none anyone cares about outside Strange).

I am really excited about Magic school book though. Having a place to introduce and develop new characters is something desperately needed, and generally only the X-Men bother at all. Avenger Academy, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Generation X are some of my favorite books ever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I loved the Aaron Doctor Strange run about magic being destroyed because it really drives home the idea that there are nearly zero Marvel magic characters (and none anyone cares about outside Strange).

I am really excited about Magic school book though. Having a place to introduce and develop new characters is something desperately needed, and generally only the X-Men bother at all. Avenger Academy, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Generation X are some of my favorite books ever.

Hickman said he's not introducing any new mutants in his X-Men or the rest of the books in the line while he's in the driver's seat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Hickman said he's not introducing any new mutants in his X-Men or the rest of the books in the line while he's in the driver's seat.

That is unfortunate but not very surprising. Hickman always plots his books from start to finish before he starts writing, so he definitely going to tell the story he was to tell then ride off into the sunset with everything mostly put back the way it was before he came.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That is unfortunate but not very surprising. Hickman always plots his books from start to finish before he starts writing, so he definitely going to tell the story he was to tell then ride off into the sunset with everything mostly put back the way it was before he came.

I think it's actually good, because at this point there's like a million x characters, you don't need to make new ones, especially with the central conceit of Hickman's X-Men that mutants are now essentially immortal.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Until Hickman resurrects Mammomax and puts him in a book his run will only manage to be great and not legendary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Until Hickman resurrects Mammomax and puts him in a book his run will only manage to be great and not legendary.

There is no doubt in my mind that he's not on the list for the resurrected, probably won't be on a team though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Does Scarlet Witch have the mutant power to do magic? Or did she go to Wizard school?

Thinking about it, are her and Quicksilver still mutants? I know they changed it because of the movie rights stuff but I assume they will quietly not mention that again.

The last time it came up was during the House of X/Power of X series.

She is regarded as "the pretender" and one of the Mutant Nation's greatest public enemies for depowering/killing as a result of depowering so many mutants.

So at the moment she and Quicksilver still aren't mutants, so far.