Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

aphid_licker posted:

That's my experience with CMANO. I splatter messily because I have no idea how many [ORDNANCE] I have to allocate to take out an SA-42069 battery, but erring on the side of overkill means I have nothing left for [MISSION_OBJECTIVE] so the next time in I use the minimum number I just learned, but it doesn't feel like I'm learning tactics really, I'm clearly just trial and erroring my way through. And next scenario I'm using stuff from a wholly different era and country so now I gotta start over.

e: letting a guy with a loadout of clusterbombs burn in behind a wall of ARMs to absorb the battery's fire and waiting to see if you timed it right and picked the right number of ARMs to absorb the ready missiles is kinda fun tho

Yeah, I've only played the Northern Inferno standalone missions, but it sometimes feels like a game of chess where pointlessly losing a pawn can doom you. It's nice when it clicks sometimes though and I figure something out, like "ok, their ships have surface-to-surface missiles that make short work of mine, but they have no SAM support, so what if I turn off my active sensors and use the planes for spotting instead? Bingo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There's probably words for that kind of mission design, sorta open vs. everything has one correct purpose you have to figure out. I mean the big one is not giving me time before the mission to change my fuckin weapon loadouts if I wanna try something different.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Godholio posted:

They don't even need to do that kind of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_FCuMAl8oA

I loving HATE the F-14, but god drat this was well done.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

EvilMerlin posted:

I loving HATE the F-14, but god drat this was well done.

m-mm-..... MOOOODDDDSSSS?????

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The F14 is either the American Panther tank or the flying M14. I’m not sure which I want to roll with right now so pick your poison.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

The F14 is either the American Panther tank or the flying M14. I’m not sure which I want to roll with right now so pick your poison.

It has its own category, because neither the Panther or the M14 were deemed to be cool because of a movie.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I really don't want to sink money into this, but it looks amazing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

NightGyr posted:

Cartridge start from a button on the nose gear is the most cold war way to get going.

The good ol' open palm slam on the video tape.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It looks cool as gently caress and the GI Joe toy based on it was awesome

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Smiling Jack posted:

Cobra Rattler would like a word with you

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I really would like to learn more about other nation's command and control systems. I'm really hoping that maybe they learned from the American/Soviet experience about PALs and being one point safe.

I'm pretty sure a Royal Navy boomer captain can glass Moscow or Washington without needing any PAL.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

The correctest take.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I'm pretty sure a Royal Navy boomer captain can glass Moscow or Washington without needing any PAL.

Doesn't matter, he can't get a PAL anyway.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Swat cats

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

McNally posted:

It has its own category, because neither the Panther or the M14 were deemed to be cool because of a movie.

F14s were cool before the movie

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

The F-14 is the American Arrow. If we'd just continued building them well into and past the Advanced Strike Tomcat project it'd rain donuts, cats would obey commands, and we'd have light speed travel by now.

I love the thing simply because it's the one of the most inefficiently efficient planes ever built.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Yeah, the final countdown is great

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I wanna compare that RIO with the Top Gun PC game from the 90s

Does he still say "look at the pretty streeeaaamerrrs!!" in a mocking tone when you fire off all your missiles at once?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, the final countdown is great

QFT

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Smiling Jack posted:

Stupid USS Flagg was not to scale with it though!!!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Syrian Lannister posted:

Cobra Rattler would like a word with you

Two things can be awesome. I had the cobra sr-71 knockoff and it also owned bones. Never got the skystriker or the rattler.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The GI Joe F-16 kicked rear end, fwiw.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Minto Took posted:

The GI Joe F-16 kicked rear end, fwiw.

There was an F-16? I just remember an x-29 forward swept wing one apart from the F-14.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

priznat posted:

There was an F-16? I just remember an x-29 forward swept wing one apart from the F-14.

One of my best Christmas presents: https://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/93/ghoststriker/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh wild! That was after my time for gi joe, no wonder.

The x-29 plane was also very cool. I didn’t have that but I did have the Cobra SR-71 and it was the coolest.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

Oh wild! That was after my time for gi joe, no wonder.

The x-29 plane was also very cool. I didn’t have that but I did have the Cobra SR-71 and it was the coolest.

I had the X-29, two Sky Strikers (the original plus one that was blacked out), plus this rarer gem:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I still have most of my GI Joe vehicles. I've got the giant black jet one setting in a trunk right next to my desk! :downs:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My parents wouldn't buy me action figures.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My dad bought me that SR-71 for my 11th birthday.

My mother, who had divorced my dad nine years earlier, gave it to Goodwill the next day because she said it was "disgusting military propaganda".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I had the X-29, two Sky Strikers (the original plus one that was blacked out), plus this rarer gem:

“Stealth” with external guns and wtf ever is going on up top. It’s like jeez did these guys ever study RCS

Memento posted:

My dad bought me that SR-71 for my 11th birthday.

My mother, who had divorced my dad nine years earlier, gave it to Goodwill the next day because she said it was "disgusting military propaganda".

Well she wasn’t wrong about the last part

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Awesome military propeganda” would be more accurate.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

I'm clearly just trial and erroring my way through.

Isn't that the whole of milhist right there? Try something, get your rear end kicked. If smart: try something different next war.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

“Awesome military propeganda” would be more accurate.

The author of the comic, Larry Hama, was a Japanese-American Vietnam War veteran (combat engineer) who had relatives imprisoned in the US camps during WW2.

The comics were a bit more nuanced than a typical kids comic, to put it mildly.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

The author of the comic, Larry Hama, was a Japanese-American Vietnam War veteran (combat engineer) who had relatives imprisoned in the US camps during WW2.

The comics were a bit more nuanced than a typical kids comic, to put it mildly.
He wrote them way better than they needed to be, and is a big reason why I am a huge nerd.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lightbulb Out posted:

Agreed: I was looking for images of Roy Fokker's Skull Squadron Valkyrie, but found this and it is a bit more on target

Smiling Jack posted:

Two things can be awesome. I had the cobra sr-71 knockoff and it also owned bones. Never got the skystriker or the rattler.

Same, it still sits in a closet. Now that I've seen the OG GI Joe again, I realize that the pilot is wearing briefs outside his flight suit

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Nebakenezzer posted:

Same, it still sits in a closet. Now that I've seen the OG GI Joe again, I realize that the pilot is wearing briefs outside his flight suit

Debriefing finally making sense

brains
May 12, 2004

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Isn't that the whole of milhist right there? Try something, get your rear end kicked. If smart: try something different next war.

I’d say it’s more like insisting on fighting the next war just like the last one with a healthy dose of willful ignorance of why that’s a bad idea

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

brains posted:

I’d say it’s more like insisting on fighting the next war just like the last one with a healthy dose of willful ignorance of why that’s a bad idea

Yeah but the next step is to adapt when fighting the last war again isn't working.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

Yeah but the next step is to adapt when fighting the last war again isn't working.

Just following up to Godholio for his userpic.

Want more awesome Russian flags? Here are some awesome Russian flags:

https://twitter.com/fabrice_deprez/status/1148559330310049792

I don't think any are as cool as atombear. However:

https://twitter.com/fabrice_deprez/status/1148582776624623621

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jesus. Today’s shooting at NAS Pensacola was done by Saudi military there for training.