Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Primary his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Primary his rear end

Sadly there appears to be no other Democrats that have filed for that district race.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
A red district that turned blue in 2018? What a dumbshit

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/MarioZambeli/status/1202715895249932288?s=20

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

And this president follows advice that doesn't please him exactly when?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
If Trump's dumb enough to testify that might be the one thing that would actually lead to his removal. He can't go thirty seconds without lying and there's no way in hell he wouldn't blatantly perjure himself. God I hope he does it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/michelleinbklyn/status/1202638778613030912

saw this earlier and I think it might actually be a lowkey genius idea?

Amash is a legitimately smart lawyer with terrible politics that he 100% believes in, and utterly hates Trump. also practically all of his legal points for weeks have been completely correct

i know it's not going to happen you don't have to say it

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2019

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gnumonic posted:

If Trump's dumb enough to testify that might be the one thing that would actually lead to his removal. He can't go thirty seconds without lying and there's no way in hell he wouldn't blatantly perjure himself. God I hope he does it.

It’ll never happen but Giuliani, Hannity, Gaetz and Graham gang tackling him on the way in would be magical.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/michelleinbklyn/status/1202638778613030912

saw this earlier and I think it might actually be a lowkey genius idea?

Amash is a legitimately smart lawyer with terrible politics that he 100% believes in, and utterly hates Trump. also practically all of his legal points for weeks have been completely correct

i know it's not going to happen you don't have to say it

if we join hands anbd believe hard enough jfk jr will make it happen

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Nancy Pelosi on a Town Hall on CNN with Jake Tapper. On Impeachment

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gnumonic posted:

He would certainly be even physically stopped from testifying, but it would be so on brand for him to do the one thing that would gently caress him when he could literally stay in bed and do nothing and it would be better.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Given the endless tweets about "illegal process", "show trial", and not being allowed to call (their own) witnesses, it does seem unlikely that he/they will make appropriate use of the opportunity when provided. Again, they must maintain their delusion, however incorrect it's demonstrated to be. Not only is it their MO, it's kinda their only chance. Meanwhile, it would take ten minutes to answer every question because they'd have to call for a recess to permit his lawyer to tell him the precise words to say in response, just to avoid a slip-up. "Do you eat MicNoodles?" would need a rambling 35-minute answer.

But still :allears: it would be awesome to have Trump testifying in the Senate trial while simultaneously tweeting pure bullshit.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

This guy is a dentist. I think that’s all anyone needs to know.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
"Kangaroo court led by Captain Kangaroo"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ogmius815 posted:

This guy is a dentist. I think that’s all anyone needs to know.
Was that the "I know body language, I was a dentist" idiot? Lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don’t eat mcnoodles. I’ve never eaten mcnoodles but mcnoodles are fine. In fact, I’ve done more to make mcnoodles good than any other—my mcnoodles are the best. Great mcnoodles. Nobody—I’ve eaten mcnoodles, the best mcnoodles anyone has ever eaten. Nobody talks about this but I can eat more mcnoodles than anyone. It’s true. It’s true. Mcnoodles are amazing and perfect.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Gatts posted:

Nancy Pelosi on a Town Hall on CNN with Jake Tapper. On Impeachment

How was it?

I feel like it's something that should be important but will be completely inconsequential in this timeline

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Jeff Van Drew represents basically all of southern New Jersey, which as a whole is about as purple as it gets. Which means when it comes to what a Representative is actually meant to do, his right-leaning Democratic tendencies are pretty spot on—but it definitely makes him the last kind of Democrat the party actually needs right now.

Still, the guy he beat out for NJ-02 was a straight-up open racist and monumental idiot, so it somehow could be worse.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Toaster Beef posted:

Jeff Van Drew represents basically all of southern New Jersey, which as a whole is about as purple as it gets. Which means when it comes to what a Representative is actually meant to do, his right-leaning Democratic tendencies are pretty spot on—but it definitely makes him the last kind of Democrat the party actually needs right now.

Still, the guy he beat out for NJ-02 was a straight-up open racist and monumental idiot, so it somehow could be worse.

He needs to be made to get in line. There is no room for hall passes on this issue.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Ogmius815 posted:

He needs to be made to get in line. There is no room for hall passes on this issue.

I don't disagree. And Jersey is probably solidly Democratic enough at this point that he could be jettisoned without much impact. But he was brought in specifically to run for NJ-02 because of his established reputation within the state as one of the most right-leaning Democrats out there. Positive rating with the NRA, all that poo poo. It's going to be basically impossible to replace him with someone from the left, because NJ-02 is a bunch of small cities surrounded by vast swaths of rural, uneducated white folk.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/05/politics/nunes-ukraine-controversy/index.html

quote:

Prosecutors said they seized nearly 30 electronic devices from Parnas and his co-defendants and are still trying to crack the passwords. This would give investigators access to thousands of emails and text messages, perhaps including some communications with Nunes or Harvey.

Nunes is hosed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gnumonic posted:

he might honestly do it. he probably feels like it will be a safe enough environment for him and he genuinely does think most of the country loves him.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

lmao "still trying to crack the passwords" we still pretending there aren't NSA backdoors in everything ?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I remain hopeful, but I'm fairly certain Trump ain't gonna testify

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he might honestly do it. he probably feels like it will be a safe enough environment for him and he genuinely does think most of the country loves him.

The only other reason i think he might do it is the prospect of Good TV Ratings

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

crazy cloud posted:

lmao "still trying to crack the passwords" we still pretending there aren't NSA backdoors in everything ?

Yeah this is a loving joke; if there's one thing that all our pooled tax money goes to besides bombs it's code to read and record everything.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

crazy cloud posted:

I'm betting they're using something that comes out of the FSB's domain

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

crazy cloud posted:

Guess like this might use more than stock encryption, NSA isn't beating out the whole field of cryptography

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Also they could probably trade the passwords for some immunity.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

nine-gear crow posted:

If anything that kind of shows how incompetent/inconsequential/cowardly Paul Ryan is that he’s so far failed to fire a single shot at Trump from what should be a consequence-free fortress position.

Ryan's journey is essentially complete in this regard — he's a harbinger type. Future historians can go "About the time Paul Ryan got to be consequential to the future of the Republican Party — the point at which Paul Ryan would be the sort of person who the GOP would elect to a leadership position, you had everything you needed to know to be certain that something was now deeply, fundamentally broken in conservatism."

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

crazy cloud posted:

There aren't. There's hardware and software with failure modes their designers didn't think of and those are much easier to attack than the encryption.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

nine-gear crow posted:

If anything that kind of shows how incompetent/inconsequential/cowardly Paul Ryan is that he’s so far failed to fire a single shot at Trump from what should be a consequence-free fortress position.

The only thing I can think of is that he is waiting for the right moment to cause the most amount of pain for him. I would have thought turning on him during impeachment would be it but I can see him being petty enough to not want to give a “win” to the Democrats.

Likely it will happen during the end of the campaign. No doubt Fox has some dirt on him that they can just happen to pull out, use that is the “final straw” that causes the GOP to turn on him. If the bullshit hose turns off then he will be in serious trouble.

Trump can lose, the GOP will take some serious hits but Ryan can be the kingmaker and ringleader of the new GOP which I am certain is what he is wanting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Djarum posted:

The only thing I can think of is that he is waiting for the right moment to cause the most amount of pain for him. I would have thought turning on him during impeachment would be it but I can see him being petty enough to not want to give a “win” to the Democrats.

Likely it will happen during the end of the campaign. No doubt Fox has some dirt on him that they can just happen to pull out, use that is the “final straw” that causes the GOP to turn on him. If the bullshit hose turns off then he will be in serious trouble.

Trump can lose, the GOP will take some serious hits but Ryan can be the kingmaker and ringleader of the new GOP which I am certain is what he is wanting.

I have no doubt he'll try to, but to do so Paul Ryan will need to conquer the so-far insurmountable hill of "getting people to listen to what Paul Ryan has to say". And he couldn't pull that one off with a Republican House supermajority. If God Himself appeared before Paul Ryan and ordered him to convince someone to walk across the room and bring him bring him a glass of water in under five minutes or he'd blink out of existence, Paul Ryan would no longer exist, he's that bad at getting people to listen to him.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

nine-gear crow posted:

I have no doubt he'll try to, but to do so Paul Ryan will need to conquer the so-far insurmountable hill of "getting people to listen to what Paul Ryan has to say". And he couldn't pull that one off with a Republican House supermajority. If God Himself appeared before Paul Ryan and ordered him to convince someone to walk across the room and bring him bring him a glass of water in under five minutes or he'd blink out of existence, Paul Ryan would no longer exist, he's that bad at getting people to listen to him.

Paul Ryan skipped leg day today tell you that you're full of it.

(He's actually one of the least effective house speakers in history and that's pretty loving sweet.)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

oxsnard posted:

"Kangaroo court led by Captain Kangaroo"

No doubt we know who Trump’s lawyer will be:

https://youtu.be/HwnjJgY9DHM

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Would you say that Paul Ryan hears a lot of "gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me"?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Alright, I’ll bite. What makes Paul Ryan so uniquely ineffectual? I didn’t pay much attention to politics until Nov 2016, so I don’t really know what signifies that especially now in the trump admin where everything is extremely ineffectual but also insane and malice filled.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

buglord posted:

Alright, I’ll bite. What makes Paul Ryan so uniquely ineffectual? I didn’t pay much attention to politics until Nov 2016, so I don’t really know what signifies that especially now in the trump admin where everything is extremely ineffectual but also insane and malice filled.

No one cared what he said or did what he told them to do, which is pretty poo poo for the speaker of the house.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Paul Ryan will never do anything to alienate any significant number of R voters, he wants to run for President later on. Seems really obvious to me that's why he resigned, so he can stay clear of various flavors of fallout from the impeachment. He had to know it was coming. This way he can keep his name entirely out of it, avoid any legal collateral damage, and he won't have to be the Minority Leader who failed to stop the impeachment either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

buglord posted:

Mystic Mongol posted:

No one cared what he said or did what he told them to do, which is pretty poo poo for the speaker of the house.

He also basically tripped into the job of Speaker in late 2015 after John Boehner got fed up with dealing with what a bunch of crazy dipshits House Republicans has become even then and pulled the ripcord. There were at least two people in line in front of him, Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy (who collectively made up the “YOUNG GUNNNNNNZ” with Ryan). But Cantor got primaried in hilarious fashion by an even crazier dude, so he was out of the running. And then McCarthy stepped up to the plate and then did the verbal equivalent of puking and making GBS threads himself at the same time during his “I want to be Speaker” press conference, so he was laughed out of contention.

All this time Paul Ryan kept repeating “I do not want to be Speaker” into any microphone he could get his mouth close to, even though it was becoming increasingly obvious that there was no other viable option other than him because the Class of 2014 House Republicans were a writhing ball of really dumb assholes. So Ryan finally gave in and accepted the position with all the pomp of a lodestone being chained around one’s neck and that whole “Attach the Stone of Shame!” air that surrounded his ascension to the gavel clouded his whole Speakership.

Hence his well-earned reputation as the guy nobody liked or wanted to follow who then did dick all with the largest Republican supermajority in history because nobody liked him or wanted to follow any orders he gave.