Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wait, were the players or the women getting drunk? That tweet is worded a little strangely.

It reads like "get the players drunk so they could take advantage of the women" which seems like... backwards.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Angry_Ed posted:

On a related note, I'm going to guess that Dick "Actually in the KKK" Murdoch wasn't in the WWF long enough to qualify?

He's a former WWF Tag Team champ, back in 84. He and Adrian Adonis beat ... Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas, before losing them 9 months later to Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham

He was also in one of the early 90s Royal Rumbles

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 6, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dick drydock piece of poo poo! rear end in a top hat! I'm allowed to cuss out anyone who is in consideration for this tournament

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Wait, were the players or the women getting drunk? That tweet is worded a little strangely.

It reads like "get the players drunk so they could take advantage of the women" which seems like... backwards.

Yeah, if I read it literally it comes off as “Barnett would get the players drunk so that the women could then gently caress said players.”

Something tells me that’s not how it is supposed to be read.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Yeah, if I read it literally it comes off as “Barnett would get the players drunk so that the women could then gently caress said players.”

Something tells me that’s not how it is supposed to be read.

I read it as "Barnett would throw lavish parties, invite beautiful women, and then get the players drunk so they (meaning Barnett & co) could take advantage of them."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

I have no problem with Barnett being in the tournament based on behind the scenes poo poo, but having read the chapters in question in The Thin Thirty, I'm...not super convinced that we can use it as proof that the Barnett/Lonnie Winters/football players situation was inherently abusive? For starters, there's just way too much homophobia in the book, and there's also very little information. The thesis of those sections is less "Jim and Lonnie used their money and social power to pressure the more vulnerable of the players into sex" and more "football players recruited by Kentucky would be too country to know that getting blown by Jim and/or Lonnie made them gay." It's been three years since I read it, and maybe I'd feel different re-reading it post-#MeToo, but when I first read it three years ago I was kind of shocked by how thin a case was made for there being anything there beyond the surface power imbalance, especially with how much Ragland leans on homophobia to do the work.

Now, if it was used as blackmail material in the team's gambling scandal, which the book kind of sort of implies was a possibility, albeit with zero evidence, then that would be different.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The women were used to get the players to come to the parties.

The rich guys would then get the players drunk so they could have their way with them. It developed into more than that but that was the initial way they did it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

who has talked about vince and the bear skin rug? was it Nash? or raven?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No it was get the players drunk enough to allegedly suck Barnett’s dick.

It kinda tracks because every Barnett story includes stuff that could read as straight out sexual harassment.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was the story of him putting the NWA World Title on Tommy Rich in an attempt to get Rich to sleep with him.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

new poll up, writeup still incoming

https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1202762851615727616

loving y i k e s

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Warrior will win easily because his shittiness is so well-documented at this point, but Terry Taylor was a piece of work himself

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i did consider terry taylor solely because i don't know if he is as mentally unwell as warrior definitely was. like i genuinely don't know and while i don't feel sympathy for mashed up brain bigots i do place them just slightly below those who are still functioning fine. think there was too much on warrior's side to really make a case against picking him anyhow

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
They’re both horrible but the fact that WWE still markets and profits from Warrior’s image pushes him over for me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
READ THE THREAD BEFORE VOTING.

Also this

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/7/1/2254343/more-on-tna-lawsuits-tnas-history-of-sexual-harrassment

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

They’re both horrible but the fact that WWE still markets and profits from Warrior’s image pushes him over for me.

Terry Taylor currently works for WWE.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Terry Taylor is still around so he gets my vote because of that.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

That uh second to last paragraph is really hosed up in a weird very normal, very legal, and very cool way.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
neither of them is going to beat Mel Phillips but they both deserve to advance

can I ask who's leading so I can vote for the other guy? >:P

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

warrior is going to win by a longshot. not as long as most other blowouts though

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah I know this but the WWE doesn’t, like, market the image and character of Terry Taylor to children and name an inspirational award.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like this is a tough choice but I think Warrior pulls ahead for me slightly just cause of the fact he wished for the death of Bobby Hennan

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Warrior died and sold his soul to WWE like a weakling and immediately died(which I consider kinda funny) so I’m giving the nod to Terry Taylor on this one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vince MechMahon posted:

It seems like both Jake and Austin have at least attempted to change, and either will get knocked out next round.

On that note, while Michaels/Jannetty was a while back, there's one major reason I didn't vote Michaels and it's because he seems to at least attempt to better himself. I can't say how much of his born again stuff is legit and how much is a shield from being criticized from his early behavior, but I remember hearing about how outside of his brief WHC run upon coming back to the ring, he was very adamant about not being world champion during his 2000's run. Apparently, being on top during a time when business was bad did a number on him mentally and that enhanced all of his lovely behavior. Being self-aware enough to turn down something so huge because you know it'll only bring out the worst in you and on you is something I can respect.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Warrior is more personally reprehensible but Taylor has held a position of power for 20+ years. Vote for Terry.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Warrior advances because the tournament is named after him. Because otherwise it's a push. mostly. Slight edge to Taylor. Maybe.
They're both shitcocks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Please just quote this post when we vote on Vince.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I went with Warrior in the end because he didn't even try to hide his shittiness (he celebrated it), and because WWE still have the gall to celebrate him as part of a PR stunt. It was close though. Taylor strikes me as one of those incompetent assholes who knows just enough people to keep getting work, but is also anonymous enough to hide his crimes. Awful stuff.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Taylor strikes me as one of those incompetent assholes who knows just enough people to keep getting work, but is also anonymous enough to hide his crimes. Awful stuff.

He's basically a poor man's Michael Hayes, and at least Hayes was an actual draw at one point. What the hell has Terry ever accomplished to keep earning these cushy jobs?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I voted Taylor because I know Warrior is going to end and I don't want people to look at the results and go "oh maybe he wasn't so bad." He definitely was, it's just that Warrior is almost incomprehensibly terrible.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I’m pretty sure Terry Taylor knows where stuff is buried long enough he became just one of the usual shitheads.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1202801512990330880

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Voted for Warrior for a lot of reasons but just realized that one NXT documentary showed that Terry Taylor knew Seth Rollins was always bad before any of us.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

They're both terrible enough that it's kind of a wash, but I went Warrior because he went on speaking tours to evangelize being a racist, sexist piece of poo poo as a virtue for the world outside of wrestling to follow. I don't think there is a wrong answer here, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I went with Warrior due to the sheer level of whitewashing that has gone into his image since his death. The way WWE constantly holds him in high regard is gross.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If there was an annual Terry Taylor Award that might have swung it for me, but the canonization of Warrior is what does it

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Warrior had to spend his last days playing nice with people he hated for a paycheck and whoring himself out to Vince just to die face down in an Arizona parking lot the day after. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I went with Warrior, but there seems to be a block in some people's minds against how incredibly lovely Taylor is because so many articles and lists and retrospectives over the last thirty years talked about poor Terry being so talented but saddled with a terrible gimmick so we should feel bad for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TheKingslayer posted:

Warrior had to spend his last days playing nice with people he hated for a paycheck and whoring himself out to Vince just to die face down in an Arizona parking lot the day after. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

It says a lot about WWE's Wellness Policy that they let this happen. The dude looked like he was ready to lie down and die the night he gave his farewell promo.