Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what's wrong with people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/T4RIG/status/1199736990687739905
i think you're a poseur

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

what's wrong with people

I think a couple of centuries ago a person cursed with that kind of personality would have been a part of some joyless christian cult like the shakers or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I touched on this in the succ zone, but WSWS has been picking a fight with the New York Times's 1619 project, and I think I know why:

https://twitter.com/WSWS_Updates/status/1200225385096634368

quote:

The essays featured in the magazine are organized around the central premise that all of American history is rooted in race hatred—specifically, the uncontrollable hatred of “black people” by “white people.” Hannah-Jones writes in the series’ introduction: “Anti-black racism runs in the very DNA of this country.”

This is a false and dangerous conception. DNA is a chemical molecule that contains the genetic code of living organisms and determines their physical characteristics and development
. The transfer of this critical biological term to the study of a country—even if meant only in a metaphorical sense—leads to bad history and reactionary politics. Countries do not have DNA, they have historically formed economic structures, antagonistic classes and complex political relationships. These do not exist apart from a certain level of technological development, nor independently of a more or less developed network of global economic interconnections.

The methodology that underlies the 1619 Project is idealist (i.e., it derives social being from thought, rather than the other way around) and, in the most fundamental sense of the word, irrationalist. All of history is to be explained from the existence of a supra-historical emotional impulse. Slavery is viewed and analyzed not as a specific economically rooted form of the exploitation of labor, but, rather, as the manifestation of white racism. But where does this racism come from? It is embedded, claims Hannah-Jones, in the historical DNA of American “white people.” Thus, it must persist independently of any change in political or economic conditions.

they're unable to grasp metaphor

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another stunning brain genius move from the weird sex web site

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

I touched on this in the succ zone, but WSWS has been picking a fight with the New York Times's 1619 project, and I think I know why:

https://twitter.com/WSWS_Updates/status/1200225385096634368

they're unable to grasp metaphor

"Eating the rich will inevitably normalize cannibalism, which would then lead to greater health risks across the population. Even as a metaphor, it's a dangerous concept to promote."

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The technology to surgically sow humans together is purely theoretical at this stage, which is why we repudiate the slogan "Workers Of All Countries Unite"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the gently caress would we do with a hundred flowers anyway

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i say swears online posted:

the gently caress would we do with a hundred flowers anyway

if they’re tulips I have an idea

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

owns

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
slovenia didn't vote for the "don't glorify nazis" thing in UN for some weird reason(??). also our country map kinda looks like a hen, so now the flaghen is eating swastikas

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

Another stunning brain genius move from the weird sex web site
whenever i see a picture of david north (usually in popups asking for donations upon entering the weird sex web site) i think of noir jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEI2zet48Uc

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
david north corners you in a smoky piano bar, taking a sip from an old fashioned. the pitter patter of rain can be hear smacking beyond the window of the bar

"all train compartments smell vaguely of poo poo. it gets so you don't mind it. that's the worst that i can confess.

you know how long it took me to get there? a long time. when you die you're going to regret the things you don't do. you think you're queer. i'm going to tell you something: we're all queer. you think you're a thief? so what? you get befuddled by a bourgeois morality? get shut of it. shut it out. you cheat on your wife? you did it, live with it. you gently caress little girls? so be it. there's an absolute morality? marx didn't think so. neither did trotsky. if you think there is, go ahead, be that thing.

bad people go to hell? i don't think so. religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. it is the opium of the people. a hell exists on earth? yes. i won't live in it. that's me."

[pause]

"you ever take a dump that made you feel like you'd just slept for twelve hours?"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

david north corners you in a smoky piano bar, taking a sip from an old fashioned. the pitter patter of rain can be hear smacking beyond the window of the bar

"all train compartments smell vaguely of poo poo. it gets so you don't mind it. that's the worst that i can confess.

you know how long it took me to get there? a long time. when you die you're going to regret the things you don't do. you think you're queer. i'm going to tell you something: we're all queer. you think you're a thief? so what? you get befuddled by a bourgeois morality? get shut of it. shut it out. you cheat on your wife? you did it, live with it. you gently caress little girls? so be it. there's an absolute morality? marx didn't think so. neither did trotsky. if you think there is, go ahead, be that thing.

bad people go to hell? i don't think so. religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. it is the opium of the people. a hell exists on earth? yes. i won't live in it. that's me."

[pause]

"you ever take a dump that made you feel like you'd just slept for twelve hours?"

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/28/mikhail-gorbachev-pizza-hut-ad-thanksgiving-miracle/

foreignpolicy dot com/2019/11/28/mikahil-gorbachev-pizza-hut-ad-thanksgiving-miracle

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1200498826580242432

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I mean you don't keep anything, really. Security. Things, things, you know? It's just, you try to stave off insecurity. You can't do it. Stocks, bonds, objects of art, real estate, what are they? An opportunity. To what, make money? Perhaps. To lose money? Perhaps. To indulge and to learn about ourselves? Perhaps. So loving what? What isn't? They're an opportunity. That's all they are -- they're an event. A guy comes to you, you make a call, you send in a card: I have these properties I would like for you to see. What does this mean? What do you want it to mean? You see what I'm saying?

Things happen to you. Glad I met you. *clinks glass* I'm glad I met you, LastInLane.

I want to show you something. It may mean something to you, it may not, I don't know anymore. What is... this?

A web site. The Weird Sex Web Site. A web site. Bullshit. And maybe that's true, and that's what I said. But look at ... this.

What, is, this? Listen, I'm going tell you now...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo is that last headline real lmfao

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ADXUltra/status/1201165294560927744

Serf
May 5, 2011

rip to fred hampton, murdered by the cops on this day 50 years ago

THS
Sep 15, 2017

death to america

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the roo is going ham on the dengists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKFr1IP1TQQ

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

moist rebel news

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Serf posted:

:(

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Serf posted:

Assassinated actually.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mess with the bull, get the horns

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Serf posted:

well, my birthday is turning out as it typically does

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

apparently the black panther guy is making a black panthers movie so that's cool

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ScrubLeague posted:

apparently the black panther guy is making a black panthers movie so that's cool

is the fbi gonna be the hero?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Centrist Committee posted:

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
demolished

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_UzHxDl-zg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

There's like a million wrong things in this.