Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can also turn off the ninjis if you'd like, it's easier to practice that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I have to turn off ninjis because my eyes drift all over the screen if I don't.

What's everyones best time so far? I'm currently at 20.413

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

19:941, which is still only good enough for #986th place.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish I knew a proper difficulty threshold that the most people would accept without calling something too easy or too hard.

Making a level that I feel has enough features to be difficult, but fair but I'm good at 2D platformers and it's impossible for me to go in completely unbiased so I have no idea

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish I knew a proper difficulty threshold that the most people would accept without calling something too easy or too hard.

Making a level that I feel has enough features to be difficult, but fair but I'm good at 2D platformers and it's impossible for me to go in completely unbiased so I have no idea

Actual Mario games are usually a useful reference point, although bear in mind that a lot of players are bad and if you want >25% clear rate you're going to have to make it easier than the average Mario game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I assume that there's no slowdown, since the runs are all downloaded beforehand? Or loaded up all at once?

No slowdown at all, though I had a bit of a hard time distinguishing Toad from the massive army of Ninjis at the start of the level. But you can turn down the number of Ninji ghosts or turn them off altogether.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Skill levels and experience levels are going to vary, so there's never going to be a perfect difficulty for everyone. Just keep in mind that your own levels will always be easier for you than they are for everyone else, because you know exactly what's in the level and how it was meant to be cleared and you probably tried out most of the setpieces a few times as you were making it. When creators try to make a level that feels hard to themselves, they're almost always going to end up overshooting the difficulty because of that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really wish I could pick a direction for the spike balls to go on their own. As it is now they only go left unless you have them hit a spring

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Woo, enjoying this new patch.

Pipes & Pointy Things
Y1N-Y6F-62H

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Got it down to 20.112 but the timings are really tricky on the slopes especially. I'm not sure if I'm losing speed on triple jumps or what, but this might be as far as I go.

https://twitter.com/nofrikinfun/status/1202754682747097089?s=21

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's faster to run down steep slopes and slide on regular slopes.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Little Mac posted:

It's faster to run down steep slopes and slide on regular slopes.

Makes sense, gravity being a hoax and all.

e: well now I'm at 20.062

gotta break 19

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 6, 2019

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks for the slope speed tips for Ninji Runs! I'm sitting at 20.125, time to push that down?

And here's my first post-patch effort, a little Zelda Dungeony thing:
K1M-3QH-BSG - Great Goomber's Dungeon
Use the master sword to get past the obstacles and defeat the evil great goomba! A pretty basic showing of some of the things you can do with the master sword power up.

tonberi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 6, 2019

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Hm- how can I force players into different pipes for a multiplayer level? Was playing around making a challenge level for my wife and her sister for this Christmas break and thought it might go up nicely as a full versus level. I’m messing around with a P-Switch above coins and blocks over the pipes but can’t quite wrap my head around it! Help a scrub level maker!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live slightly on the late side!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

OneMoreTime posted:

Going live slightly on the late side!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Samesies!

https://www.twitch.tv/cartridgeblowers

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Made a new level throughout the day. I think it came out nicely but I fully admit I second guessed myself alot on "am I making it too long, is it taking too much time?" etc.

I really hope it came out well though :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

OneMoreTime is Hollywood now :v:

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

I made a Zelda level called Ishto Soh Wetlands. It uses Link's mechanics to solve puzzles, and there are extra secrets and little challenges to complete to get 100 coins. There's also a hidden 1-Up.

The ingame timer may work against you depending on your pace, but checkpoints are plentiful and it's pretty easy overall. The puzzles might get kind of tricky near the end, though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Main Paineframe posted:

Skill levels and experience levels are going to vary, so there's never going to be a perfect difficulty for everyone. Just keep in mind that your own levels will always be easier for you than they are for everyone else, because you know exactly what's in the level and how it was meant to be cleared and you probably tried out most of the setpieces a few times as you were making it. When creators try to make a level that feels hard to themselves, they're almost always going to end up overshooting the difficulty because of that.

This is definitely true, and I think that playtesting is important to adjusting difficulty. I usually make my levels easier as I playtest them. My usual philosophy is that if I (who knows all of the challenges) get hit at all, that part of the level is too hard, and I edit it to be easier. One bit of advice I heard for playtesting: play your level in multiple different ways, first playing normally, second tying to speedrun, and third without using the run button at all (except where absolutely necessary). This will help break you of normal habits so you can see your level in different ways.

Players will appreciate power-ups and checkpoints, so be generous with that sort of thing. As far as clear percentages go, I think good ranges are 10-20% (somewhat challenging), 20-30% (normal fun level), and 30-40% (pretty easy).

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Made a new level throughout the day. I think it came out nicely but I fully admit I second guessed myself alot on "am I making it too long, is it taking too much time?" etc.

I really hope it came out well though :v:

I liked this one a lot. I think the length is fine, but I probably would have been annoyed if I died toward the end and had to redo the whole thing, so a checkpoint somewhere would have been nice (but it's not super important). Nice work!

Live Free posted:

I made a Zelda level called Ishto Soh Wetlands. It uses Link's mechanics to solve puzzles, and there are extra secrets and little challenges to complete to get 100 coins. There's also a hidden 1-Up.

The ingame timer may work against you depending on your pace, but checkpoints are plentiful and it's pretty easy overall. The puzzles might get kind of tricky near the end, though.

This was also fun. I didn't figure out how to get past the big plant at first, and even after seeing the POW block, I figured out that I could just run at the plant and slide at it with my shield, bumping it slightly. After doing that several times, I was past!

Also, I've discovered that I really like using the bow. Give me enemies or switches that I can shoot with arrows (especially if I have to aim up or down) and I'll be happy. Both of these levels had good opportunities for using the bow.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

DorianGravy posted:

I liked this one a lot. I think the length is fine, but I probably would have been annoyed if I died toward the end and had to redo the whole thing, so a checkpoint somewhere would have been nice (but it's not super important). Nice work!

This was also fun. I didn't figure out how to get past the big plant at first, and even after seeing the POW block, I figured out that I could just run at the plant and slide at it with my shield, bumping it slightly. After doing that several times, I was past!

Also, I've discovered that I really like using the bow. Give me enemies or switches that I can shoot with arrows (especially if I have to aim up or down) and I'll be happy. Both of these levels had good opportunities for using the bow.

That puzzle accidentally turned out pretty cool. Had no idea you could bump it with the shield, and I also learned you can bounce the pow block off of your spike helmet to bring it closer to the enemy. You can also trick shot the POW block with the bow once it drops. I had no idea there were so many solutions for that one, but I'm totally cool with it

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Well uh, that was unexpected and quite wonderful.

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Levels played:

1. Spike Ball Blitz 00:15:45
By: Rather Watch Them MX6-8TT-PMF

2. Bottle Cave 00:24:00
By: This is a Cool Guy F5B-H9D-66G

3. Choose Your Own Iceventure 00:41:10
By: Little Mac HV8-7LJ-PMF

4. Supermarket-Brand Grass Lands 01:07:00
By: The Kins 3N6-NFS-T3G

5. Boost Ball Blitz 01:11:00
By: Macaluso 3QH-VV4-9TF

6. You're Cactus, Jack! 01:21:30
By: The Kins 3G1-79Y-BKF

=REDDIT LEVELS=

7. Link in Ice Caves 01:25:45
By: Popipepu P18-QSD-F9G

8. ImAGoodPers0n's level 03:56:00
By: ImAGoodPers0n R0P-77B-XGG

9. Saw Stompin' Shells 04:00:00*
By: 251188 HQ0-XQS-YXG

10. The Prison of Kooparus III 04:06:00*
By: IamRNG CLK-R9M-8FG

11. Bomb-Omb Mirage 04:11:45
By: LxRPR C40-GC1-7LF

12. LoZ: Link Braves Bowser's Fort 04:16:00
By: GdaTyler 1H2-7P2-96G

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OneMoreTime posted:

Well uh, that was unexpected and quite wonderful.

That was so awesome to see. How many bonus streams did we amass last night?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

J-Spot posted:

That was so awesome to see. How many bonus streams did we amass last night?

3! Had I gotten 1 more sub it would have been 4.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

OneMoreTime posted:

3! Had I gotten 1 more sub it would have been 4.

Did you get a bunch of gift subs? :D

I think I might be topping out at 19.949 on Ninji. Execution gets so precise past that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I see a bunch of people posting one specific time (or rather, just one time they're trying to beat). Aren't there multiple courses, each with their own record time? I haven't updated my game yet, but I'll be looking into it tonight.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I see a bunch of people posting one specific time (or rather, just one time they're trying to beat). Aren't there multiple courses, each with their own record time? I haven't updated my game yet, but I'll be looking into it tonight.

There’s just one course but it will change weekly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll never be able to actually compete on these leaderboards but a weekly injection of Nintendo designed levels is such a great addition

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

There’s just one course but it will change weekly.

Aaaah, gotcha; I knew they'd update weekly, but I thought they had something like 5-10, ready to go.

EDIT: So, do we know if these levels will be available even after they're featured each week? I think there was something in the trailer that said they would be.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 6, 2019

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Little Mac posted:

Did you get a bunch of gift subs? :D

Yeah, combined with a raid from DGR, so at one point I had 400 viewers. It was a little overwhelming!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's a new level. I was working on it before the update so it doesn't use any of the new stuff.

It's more of a dry heat. ID# CNN-66J-J1G

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1203004398978232321?s=20

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

OneMoreTime posted:

Yeah, combined with a raid from DGR, so at one point I had 400 viewers. It was a little overwhelming!

Holy poo poo! Congrats man!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

OneMoreTime posted:

Baller.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Does it bother anyone else they're called Snow Pokeys and not Snokeys?

Feb 2, 2005
Me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well NOW it does :mad:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

It didn't until now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think I'm portmanteautally fine with it, really.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Icedude posted:

Does it bother anyone else they're called Snow Pokeys and not Snokeys?

Snokey died in The Last Jedi quite unceremoniously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I thought Snokey was on Jersey Shore? :confused: